HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 12:06 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Nice building!
Depends on what they build it from. But it's not bad no.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 3:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Application for Approval of an Amendment to Hamilton Zoning By-law No. 6593 for Lands Known as 427 Aberdeen Avenue
http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyre...20PED09280.pdf

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 6:32 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

add 20 more floors then it would sweet

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 8:07 PM
Hammer'd

I think that would be a bit out of place in that area. 7-10 floors seems perfect to me.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 9:12 PM
Concerned Citizen

I like the looks of the building. When I first heard about the developement, I thought that a seven floor building would be a little bit too much for that tiny lot. But looking at the rendering it would fit in nicely.

I may even look into buying one of the units. It's a great neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 10:55 PM

o that's the old Tim Hortons..... very nice how it uses the footprint... Im just a skyscraper fan. So to a 26 story in that design, even in that area would be awesome. But this is a super fine building.

I think these developers are serious too. not our local speculators that float a rendering then do nothing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 12:06 AM

I like the looks of this proposal as well. I think its a good fit for the neighbourhood, It fit in the Official Plan and it it supposrted by the Places to Grow plan for intensification.

I read over parts of the Zoning amendment application and it seems like most of the people are worried about parking. See what happenes, it might be worth e-mail the senior planning John Edward to voice your opinions.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 12:18 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 1:12 AM
Hammer'd

Definitely a lot of credibility there. Very nice completed projects.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 9:25 AM

Condo plan gets approval
Seven-storey building to replace vacant Tim Hortons

October 21, 2009
Emma Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator

A city committee has given the go-ahead to a proposed condo on the corner of Aberdeen Avenue and Dundurn Street South.

The economic development and planning committee approved plans for the seven-storey, 32-unit building on the site of a vacant Tim Hortons yesterday.

The project will have to get final approval from council before the developer, Sergio Manchia, can break ground.

The plans for the building call for several green features, including solar panels, efficient appliances, bicycle parking spaces and a car-sharing program.

Manchia scaled back his original plan for a 42-unit building after sitting down with area residents at a public meeting Sept. 14.

But many area residents still weren't happy to learn that a condo could be moving into their neighbourhood. Many raised concerns that the condo will block the view from an adjacent apartment building and boost traffic in what they say is an already congested area.

Denise Minardi, who lives one block east of the site, said she's worried the building will attract commuters because of its proximity to the 403.

If the condo is approved at council, the city has stipulated that cars could only turn right onto Aberdeen instead of crossing the eastbound lanes to turn left.

That makes Minardi worry that the cars will circle through her neighbourhood to get out to the highway.

"The sense I get is that this is a fait accompli and there hasn't been enough public consultation," she said.

Some residents expressed support for the condo, including neighbourhood resident and former regional chairman Terry Cooke.

"If it remains commercial, it's going to be a gas station or a fast food place," he said. "This (condo) is the kind of development that we have to get behind."

ereilly@thespec.com

905-526-2452

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 2:33 PM

Yeah Cooke

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 2:38 PM

I guess this can change from planning to approved.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 3:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Done! Next is Under Construction. This is a good reliable company from Toronto so perhaps next year?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 4:48 PM

I love how the residents are worried about increased traffic; SERIOUSLY? How can a < 42 unit condo boost traffic more than a Tim Hortons that no doubt drew hundreds of vehicles to it on a daily basis?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 5:49 PM

I like how the woman doesn't like commuters. I guess living and working in Hamilton now makes me a better citizen.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 8:10 PM
urbanist

spec story doesn't really do justice to the neighborhood consultation process. a committee of 8 locals-evenly divided between supporters and opponents- met with the developer and Counc. McHattie several times and ultimately unanimously supported the amended application...an encouraging sign that people can be educated about the benefits of smart intensification.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
spec story doesn't really do justice to the neighborhood consultation process. a committee of 8 locals-evenly divided between supporters and opponents- met with the developer and Counc. McHattie several times and ultimately unanimously supported the amended application...an encouraging sign that people can be educated about the benefits of smart intensification.
Thanks for the info... I guess I shouldn't have expected any less from the media

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
I love how the residents are worried about increased traffic; SERIOUSLY? How can a < 42 unit condo boost traffic more than a Tim Hortons that no doubt drew hundreds of vehicles to it on a daily basis?
I'm convinced that they would be nervous and try to put up roadblocks for any sort of change/progress/development..

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 2:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 3:04 AM

Hard to tell if there's ground floor retail there or not. Hopefully there is, especially for that corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton