HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 5:22 PM

I think the rendering itself is too cartoon and vagie, and does not do justice to the design.

I'd prefer a more detailed or more enhanced rendering of that design before I pass judgment on it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 8:32 PM

Is this a real rendering? I can't help but think it's little more than a preliminary sketch. I'm also hoping the final design is a bit more "inspired".

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 3:17 AM

Since the rendering is labeled as an "elevation", I wonder if that was made more so to give an image of the size of the building as opposed to the final design. Either way, I think with the right finishes it won't look awful. I'm just glad something is going there, and it's being built right to the street.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Since the rendering is labeled as an "elevation", I wonder if that was made more so to give an image of the size of the building as opposed to the final design. Either way, I think with the right finishes it won't look awful. I'm just glad something is going there, and it's being built right to the street.
I also appreciate the developer's comments when defending the look of the building, saying "no stucco". Sounds likehe's making an effort.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It looks pretty similar to Good Shepherd Square's elevations, so this can give us an idea of what the final product could look like:

Source

Source

I don't mind the design, it's basic infill and it sounds like it'll be built well. The only thing I'd change is that covered surface parking lot. It'd be better all underground with access at the back on Jackson Street. The building could be wider then and have more units like this...

...That costs more money though, construction has already started, and it'll be topped out by April so that isn't gonna happen.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:17 AM

I think with the right finishes this could look really nice.

Something like this for the lighter parts, to reference a lot of the old stone buildings in the city, as well as to add visual interest.

I personally think the building would look way nicer with a dark red finish, as opposed to the matte bright new red. This combination, with traditionally cut block stone really references the local architecture, and wears really nicely. I also think that weird patch of stone in the middle of the wall ought to go, and have it just be brick all the way up.

Now imagine they used a modern wood surface paneling along the brown parts which frame the lower windows. It'd go nicely with the other two suggested surfaces, and gives a high end feel overall.

Get rid of the separate front windows and do more of a "wall of glass" sort of thing, and this building wouldn't look half bad. I also agree that getting rid of the car port thing and extend the units to the end of the lot.

Since the design is super minimal and understated, I think if they dressed the exterior work well, this could end up being a real gem. Throw in some landscaping and you've got an infill property aimed at high end renters, that people would be interested in.

As of now I don't see any reason why someone would want to pay what they're expecting to charge, over one of Hamilton's many capable 70's highrises. They'll need to up their design game on this one. It's not a hard fix, but it could make or break the building.

Even something along the lines of 80 Metropolitan in Brooklyn would be awesome. They utilized black brick, and kept the facade extremely minimal, but it pays homage to old factory style buildings. It's also similar in scale and features window sizes similar to what the city has allowed.

Last edited by davidcappi; Jan 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:39 AM

I don't know if anyone has walked by here, but they're well underway on construction for this place. The ground is dug up and steel framework is beginning to go in. I'll try and snap some pictures today

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:43 AM

Construction Update...

Source

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:07 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Hoping it turns out decent.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 12:32 AM
Ham-burgher

Me too.

Sure didn't take long for the graffiti artists to get to work, did it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 1:59 AM

Still no proper renders. Weird. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:01 PM

Noticed that the crane was going up when I walked by yesterday - btw, shouldn't this header be changed from "proposal" to "Construction" since it's actually going ahead and being built?

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 2:32 AM

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 12:52 AM

Paneling went up today. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about. I know it's much too early in the construction period to form strong stances, but it seems a little dull and Stalinist to me, but I'll wait until it's completed to say anything else.

On a side note, it was was extremely difficult to take the shots of the paneling without a view through the green fencing, I had to climb on my friend's shoulders, and we got quite a few honks from cars.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 1:19 AM

I hope to god they do something to the finish of that panelling. That's an awful shade of taupe.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 1:57 AM
Hammer'd

I hate to be negative but those look like they belong on the side of the highway. I don't even remember the last time I saw a building look that disposable. Wow...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I hate to be negative but those look like they belong on the side of the highway. I don't even remember the last time I saw a building look that disposable. Wow...
you nailed it. they look like sound walls off the side of the highway

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 3:27 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I'll wait until more is finished before judging it.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 11:35 AM

Shocking. Where's the design review panel when you need it?

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 12:37 PM

Well... I guess almost anything is better than a parking lot... but this isn't what I'd call inspiring...

Hopefully they do something to clean it up a bit...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton