HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 5:02 AM

City Motor Hotel

City Motor Hotel coming down

The City Motor Hotel is coming down next week.

Demolition on the notorious east end landmark will begin the week of August 19. Crews will be working daily between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. for four to six weeks.

Crews have already disconnected the utilities and removed asbestos and lead piping from the facility, councillor Sam Merulla said.

Council voted in April 2012 to expropriate the Queenston Road property, notorious for its drug and prostitution problems. They officially took possession of the hotel earlier this year, evicting the tenants on June 14.

Anyone with questions about the demolition is asked to call Merulla's office at 905-546-4512.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/40...l-coming-down/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
City Motor Hotel coming down

Council voted in April 2012 to expropriate the Queenston Road property, notorious for its drug and prostitution problems.
I wouldn't say they were problems per se.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 8:32 PM

Paul Wilson: Wreckers ready at City Motor Hotel, but vintage sign spared
CBC News: Hamilton
By Paul Wilson

The City Motor Hotel never ran out of stories, but it has run out of time. The wreckers arrive next week.

This was the place where a guest smuggled in a hundred pigeons. Where two guys carried a stolen safe into their room. Where a would-be Ticat who got cut paid his bill at check-out time with a credit card stolen from the general manager of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Hookers, cons and cops were frequent visitors to this east-end institution, where Main meets Queenston at the traffic circle.

But the shady side is only half the story. This hotel was built well, in the early 1960s. An early brochure shows beautiful rooms — 100 of them, with air conditioning and television. It shows a cocktail and dining lounge and a cozy coffee shop famous for tall milkshakes.

And the lovely kidney-shaped pool. The panels that lined the courtyard balconies were yellow, red and turquoise. This was a piece of Florida, in a northern factory town.

All by itself

The hotel never linked up with a national chain. It stood out there on the east-end plains all by itself. Times changed, new highways got built, old rooms got musty.

And now the city has bought the hotel property, about an acre, for nearly $2 million. It wants this eyesore gone.

But must we wipe all traces of the City Motor from the landscape?

As it turns out, that’s not the plan. For now, the hotel’s vintage neon-and-sheet-metal sign is going to stay right where it is.

I stopped by the City Motor the other day. The cops had been there just before me. Several times, it seems. They’ve been on manoeuvres, doing pretend takedowns that involve blasting through concrete walls. I want a job like that.

He fell in love here

Security has been on site all summer long. They say lots of people are interested in the City Motor and want to share their memories. For some, it was an important banquet or a swim in the pool.

For others, it’s pleasures of another kind. "You have no idea how many times I fell in love here," one guy told security. "We’d pick the girls up at the Derby and bring them here." (The Derby Tavern, just down the street, made way for a jumbo Rexall five years ago.)

But what passersby really want from security is a picture taken in front of the big City Motor sign. The lights stopped working long ago. The paint is faded. Still, people want to pose in the presence of some genuine Hamilton history.

Rom D’Angelo, Hamilton’s facilities manager, says the city did try to see whether the sign was worth anything. "It was up on eBay or Kijiji for a time," he says. "There was no real interest at all… but we have no intention of scrapping that sign."

The plan now, he says, is to leave it in place and see what happens.

Matt Jelly has ideas

Matt Jelly, city activist of the first order, put up his hand long ago. He thinks it could make a great park-entrance sign, or a Welcome to Hamilton sign.

"I’d also be open to it being repurposed and erected on the same site," he says. "Whatever the end use, I’d just like to see it fixed and reused rather than trashed."

Coun. Sam Merulla is on board for that. He especially likes the idea of the sign staying close to where it was planted half a century ago. "It would be a gateway to the east end," he says, "not dissimilar to the Welcome to Las Vegas sign."

Merulla made the City Motor Hotel purchase happen. And now he wants to see a complex rise on the site that combines residential and commercial with a transportation hub.

If you like that sign from the '60s, it’s still to be on view. But if you’re looking to gaze at the storied hotel itself, don’t delay. By Labour Day, it will have vanished.

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/talk/stor...otorhotel.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 2:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:13 AM
Ham-burgher

And an era comes to an end... not an unwelcome end though.

Merulla has talked about the potential for that site, and hopefully that potential is realized to its fullest extent.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 11:19 AM

Rise of the Phoenix

This site has so much potential and with all the mass exodus to the burbs. All the concern over Urban Sprawl, this is a chance to bring people back to an existing self sufficient neighbourhood. It has a good Tim Hortons across the street. Great start.
You have within walking distance an LCBO, Rexall, High School, gas station, barber, variety of restaurants, rec centre, ice rink, swimming pool. Short drive to 2 grocery stores. Garages and a car dealership.
The power line corridor is a great dog park. Also very grassy and green. Maybe put in a pathway to Barton and the Grocery store. There is a Large park across the road to the SW so there is no need for this property to become a green space.
This area is on a major bus route and very close to routes for commuters.
The immediate area is of substantial size if incorporated with other properties.
I suggest it needs residential with a higher population density. Townhouses or Condos around the perimeter and court yard green space in the middle.
There used to be a facility for troubled youth next door and not sure if it is still functional.
This is an entire block with city infrastructure, readily available.
Hopefully things work out as only time, investors and co-operation will tell.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
This site has so much potential and with all the mass exodus to the burbs. All the concern over Urban Sprawl, this is a chance to bring people back to an existing self sufficient neighbourhood. It has a good Tim Hortons across the street. Great start.
You have within walking distance an LCBO, Rexall, High School, gas station, barber, variety of restaurants, rec centre, ice rink, swimming pool. Short drive to 2 grocery stores. Garages and a car dealership.
The power line corridor is a great dog park. Also very grassy and green. Maybe put in a pathway to Barton and the Grocery store. There is a Large park across the road to the SW so there is no need for this property to become a green space.
This area is on a major bus route and very close to routes for commuters.
The immediate area is of substantial size if incorporated with other properties.
I suggest it needs residential with a higher population density. Townhouses or Condos around the perimeter and court yard green space in the middle.
There used to be a facility for troubled youth next door and not sure if it is still functional.
This is an entire block with city infrastructure, readily available.
Hopefully things work out as only time, investors and co-operation will tell.
Well we know they plan on making part of the property a transit hub. A condo with shops, patios and restaurants would be nice.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 6:16 PM

It is interesting to see Merulla assuming the saviour role, taking charge, expropriating and razing. It is a shame there wasn't a councilor there to take a proactive role early on when the City Motor started its decline to such a pathetic state over the past decade or so. Wait a minute...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 11:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Well we know they plan on making part of the property a transit hub. A condo with shops, patios and restaurants would be nice.
To make it a transit hub I think you'd need much more of those other types of development, since it's not a transfer point between several routes.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 3:53 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
To make it a transit hub I think you'd need much more of those other types of development, since it's not a transfer point between several routes.
I was wondering the same. Only the 1 and 10 go through there and it would be kinda pointless as a hub since its not near... anything. The closest N/S routes are the 11 Parkdale (several blocks East) and 41 Mohawk (about a km or more West on Kenilworth and Ottawa). If LRT happens however, I think this could take on a more important role.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
If LRT happens however, I think this could take on a more important role.
The circle is only served by King. B-Line doesn't stop there, but likely would if LRT were built. Still, how is this any more of a "hub" than an intersection like King and Sherman?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 1:25 AM
Dustin William

Progress...

From what I can see from Queenston Rd. the entire back section of the motel is demolished. Thats the hidden side behind the Herbie's parking lot. I guess this is a dismantlement, not a demolition, so that's why it's a slow tear down.
dustinlabs.net

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton