HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 2:32 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Yes the Coyotes are dieing fast ... and have gone to Glendale and the NHL for assistance. Look for this team to relocate in the coming months.
With the salary cap around $56.7 million it is unlikely Winnipeg will get a team, especially with an arena that barely seats 15,000.

Also most new team owners would either need a TON of liquid cash to buy a team as financing such an endeavor would be turned down by most lenders in this current economy.

I can see the team folding completely along with 4-5 others if the current economy doesn't improve over the next year or two.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 2:39 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
you could even average 14 000 per game at $65 per ticket and be in the top 12 for ticket revenues.
Getting an average ticket price of around $65 would mean the 300 level seats would be around $40/seat ($50/seat a the door) and the entire lower bowl would be $120-150/seat for season tickets ($150-225/seat at the door).

Currently the Saddledome averages $55/seat with 19,000 seats. The box office (single game) tickets START at $50/seat for any seats not in the 300 level nose bleeds (those are $35/seat).

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...bcid=tic_seats

Does Winnipeg think it has enough people willing to shell out that kind of money to see the "Jets" play Columbus on a Tuesday night in February when every "Jets" game would also be televised in HD?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 2:42 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
Along with the higher end luxury suites, if I were them I would definately make another row of luxury suites that are slightly cheaper and smaller to accomodate smaller buisinesses who want to buy some suites.

also they will be adding a bit luxury suites and apparently the capacity can be made to accomodate 16 000.
How many luxury boxes would that add?

Most boxes in NHL arenas seat 10-16 people each.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
that would be a shame think about a local farm team
Moose would have to lower their ticket prices to $10 and they still would only probably draw 2000 people.

I consider myself a huge hockey fan...and I can't watch the Moose presently.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 4:11 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Getting an average ticket price of around $65 would mean the 300 level seats would be around $40/seat ($50/seat a the door) and the entire lower bowl would be $120-150/seat for season tickets ($150-225/seat at the door).

Currently the Saddledome averages $55/seat with 19,000 seats. The box office (single game) tickets START at $50/seat for any seats not in the 300 level nose bleeds (those are $35/seat).

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...bcid=tic_seats

Does Winnipeg think it has enough people willing to shell out that kind of money to see the "Jets" play Columbus on a Tuesday night in February when every "Jets" game would also be televised in HD?

calagry's average ticket price is $63.

the way i see it....the 9000 lower bowl seats need to average $80 and the upper deck seats $35.....that seems pretty normal to me....winnipeg could easily support that....most, if not all of the lower bowl seats would be season tickets so being on TV wouldnt matter.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 4:14 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
With the salary cap around $56.7 million it is unlikely Winnipeg will get a team, especially with an arena that barely seats 15,000.
look at the revenues...how can you still say 15000 has any bearing on it?....2/3 of the league is making far less revenue than even 14000 seats would make.....they seem to be able to manage with revenues like that.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
the Wachovia Spectrum is home to both the Philadelphia Flyers and their AHL Affiliate Philadelphia Phantoms. they are even know to play on the same day. Philadelphia were considering a promotion where when you purchased a Flyers ticket you could see the Phantoms play earlier that afternoon.
The Spectrum is just the home to the AHL team. The new building (The Wachovia Centre) is the home of the Flyers. They are across the parking lot from each other, but the Spectrum is coming down at the end of the year, and the Phantoms are looking for a new home.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 4:08 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
If you examine the current AHL teams you'd notice that Winnipeg and Hamilton are 2 of the smaller markets, although both do well at the gate.

I don't think a city of less than 400,000 would be an option.
How about Fargo for your AHL farm team?? You'd be getting a solid fan base of over 200,000 people in the F-M area mostly cheering for the Jets. (I can't stand that people are Wild fans way out here. That's the worst nickname in pro sports, BTW)

I grew up a huge Jets fan and would love to see a Jets affiliate AHL team in F-M. Here's some pics of the 5,000-seat arena we recently built in the SW suburbs. The Fargo Force of the USHL currently play here:

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 4:35 AM
surely you agree with me

^i didnt realize that fargo had such an awesome arena...wow....a farm team in fargo would make a ton of sense.

perhaps we are ahead of ourselves, but its fun to dream....how do we get hartley richardson to share the dream?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 5:26 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
^i didnt realize that fargo had such an awesome arena...wow....a farm team in fargo would make a ton of sense.

perhaps we are ahead of ourselves, but its fun to dream....how do we get hartley richardson to share the dream?
Probably prefer to have the farm team in Canada to be funded in C$ rather than having to worry about the exchange rate.

As has already been said, it's hard to see how in the near future any prospective owner could get financing for a venture as risky as an NHL team. There is just no credit out there for anything. By far the more likely scenario would be an owner moving his team but retaining ownership or teams being folded altogether. There could also be selloffs of players by owners desperate for cash, if the NHL allows that.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:27 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
How about Fargo for your AHL farm team?? You'd be getting a solid fan base of over 200,000 people in the F-M area mostly cheering for the Jets. (I can't stand that people are Wild fans way out here. That's the worst nickname in pro sports, BTW)

I grew up a huge Jets fan and would love to see a Jets affiliate AHL team in F-M. Here's some pics of the 5,000-seat arena we recently built in the SW suburbs. The Fargo Force of the USHL currently play here:

I like that idea ... having the farm team in a nearby US city would help hedge against curency swings, since AHL contracts are all priced in US dollars. It would also do a great deal to enhance the market area of any Winnipeg based NHL team.

It also seems natural a team named the Fargo Force would have a parent club named the Jets. ..... Air-Force with a logo of a jet squadron.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:10 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
I like that idea ... having the farm team in a nearby US city would help hedge against curency swings, since AHL contracts are all priced in US dollars. It would also do a great deal to enhance the market area of any Winnipeg based NHL team.

It also seems natural a team named the Fargo Force would have a parent club named the Jets. ..... Air-Force with a logo of a jet squadron.
That's actually a very nice looking Arena!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 2:37 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
look at the revenues...how can you still say 15000 has any bearing on it?....2/3 of the league is making far less revenue than even 14000 seats would make.....they seem to be able to manage with revenues like that.
What happens when the salary cap goes up another $10-15 million in the next 3-5 years?

Is the 15,000 seat model really sustainable for longer term projections?

Had a chance to speak with Ken King a few months ago. He said that he would love to see Winnipeg in the league but can't see the numbers working with a 15,000 seat arena. Apparently no wealthy individuals who would be the ones to bring a team to Winnipeg can make the numbers work either.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 2:38 PM
Movin' on up

WHEN we get a team back, lets choose a different name instead of living in the scroned past.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 3:38 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
WHEN we get a team back, lets choose a different name instead of living in the scroned past.
Agreed.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 4:16 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
What happens when the salary cap goes up another $10-15 million in the next 3-5 years?

Is the 15,000 seat model really sustainable for longer term projections?

Had a chance to speak with Ken King a few months ago. He said that he would love to see Winnipeg in the league but can't see the numbers working with a 15,000 seat arena. Apparently no wealthy individuals who would be the ones to bring a team to Winnipeg can make the numbers work either.
well.....if the revenues in a 15000 seat arena are more than 2/3 of the arenas in the league, what does it matter how many seats you have?...or are you predicting that suddenly the 20 teams with lower revenues will somehow all fill their buildings with full priced tickets?

i agree that if the revenues somehow double in all the other arenas and they begin to make more than a full 15000 seat arena would, then it isnt sustainable, but as it is the NHL is a long long way from that happening.

those who say that a 15 000 seat arena doesnt work are not looking at the facts, but are only making knee jerk assumptions.

it doesnt matter how many seats you have, but how many people you have paying for those seats....right now, looking at the numbers, it appears that 1/3 of the teams in the NHL are playing in buildings where an average of only about 10000 people have paid full ticket price (average of $65 = $650 000 per game).....their 17 000 seat arenas arent really making much difference.

the $200m price tag for a team might have something to do with no wealthy individual making the numbers work....its not necessarily seat count of the MTS centre....there could be a dozen reasons other than the size of the arena...i am only trying to dispell that specific myth....which seems pretty self evident, when faced with actual revenue numbers.

Last edited by trueviking; Dec 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:03 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Winnipeg has a rich hockey tradition. i understand what you're saying, and in part i agree with you. however i don't think you could bring an NHL team back to Winnipeg and not call it the Jets. only reason Atlanta and Minnesota couldn't go with their old team names (Flames and North Stars) is because those names are already taken.

some great players have worn Jets sweaters. Bobby Hull, Dale Hawerchuk, Temmu Selanne, Phil Housley, and Nikolai Khabibulin to name a few. why would you not want to honor that tradition?

when the team comes back, if its not called the Jets, call them the Falcons after the 1920 Olympic gold medal winners, or even the Victoria's after the 3 time Stanley Cup champions.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:17 PM
The Loyal Opposition

The Phoenix Coyotes own the Winnipeg Jets' name, as well as the franchise history. We could call them The Winnipeg Jets if it is the Coyotes that relocate (back) to Winnipeg, otherwise, we'd probably have to pay huge dollars to the Coyotes ownership group to buy the rights.

As a side note, the Coyotes make money on all Jets merchandise sold to this day.

The Coyotes is same franchise as the Winnipeg Jets, they just changed their name when they relocated. Check out the history section on the official Coyotes website and give attention to the years 1979-1996.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...a_team_history

Also, in the arena where the Coyotes play, if you look up to the rafters you will see the following retired numbers, all of whom were Jets who never played in Phoenix:

9 - Bobby Hull
10 - Dale Hawerchuk
25 - Thomas Steen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix...etired_numbers

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 12:21 AM
visionary

Quote:

Hmm maybe you got something there. It seems like a good fit.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 12:36 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
The Phoenix Coyotes own the Winnipeg Jets' name, as well as the franchise history. We could call them The Winnipeg Jets if it is the Coyotes that relocate (back) to Winnipeg, otherwise, we'd probably have to pay huge dollars to the Coyotes ownership group to buy the rights.
so, why is Phoenix going bankrupt then? everywhere i turn, someone has a Jets logo on them. hell, i'm even wearing a Jets hat and a Jets jersey at the moment.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan