HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Riverside in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 6:16 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

January 3

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
January 3

I mean. This isn't a commercial building.

If I lived in one of those units I would be beyond pissed about those lights.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 1:20 PM
BANNED

how do you know they are noticeable from inside the units?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Yeah, I suspect that LED lighting can be much more directionally focussed than, say, old-fashioned neon lighting, allowing placement on residential and hotel towers that would have been more problematic for neon. Also, the fact that these lights appear to return only slightly toward the main part of the tower may be to prevent visibility through the windows that adjoin the lighted part of the tower at a 90-degree angle. Notice that only a tiny portion of the lighting is reflected in the far outside corners of those windows. Just some rampant speculation on my part.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:03 AM

January 5th

Looks like the lights are rising! And they missed a couple floors. The lights were changing colors tonight too.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:33 AM

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

They're on the balconies. The balconies have floor to ceiling glass.

You also probably think a fat guy on his couch in New Jersey hacked the DNC computers?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
You're kidding, right?

You also probably think a fat guy on his couch in New Jersey hacked the DNC computers?
They're LEDs, not old-fashioned neon lights. It's quite possible that they actually can't be seen from the balconies or apartments (or at least not to an objectionable degree).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

how obnoxious. No I'm not kidding. They are thin LED lights mounted facing outward on the concrete portion of the balconies. If you think about how the light is projected it is aimed out towards the river while being mounted on ledge of concrete. In addition, my guess is these windows facing the balconies have drapes (mechanized or otherwise) for privacy. I'm pretty sure the buyers of units here are aware of this design feature. It would seem a little odd to buy in a hi rise building with views of other buildings and a highway and then object to exterior man made light penetrating your unit.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
how obnoxious. No I'm not kidding. They are thin LED lights mounted facing outward on the concrete portion of the balconies. If you think about how the light is projected it is aimed out towards the river while being mounted on ledge of concrete. In addition, my guess is these windows facing the balconies have drapes (mechanized or otherwise) for privacy. I'm pretty sure the buyers of units here are aware of this design feature. It would seem a little odd to buy in a hi rise building with views of other buildings and a highway and then object to exterior man made light penetrating your unit.
You can very clearly see the glare of the lights on the glass. And what's the point of having floor to ceiling glass windows with clear view of Center City and West Philly if you have to keep your drapes drawn at night for privacy and/or glare reduction.

It looks ridiculous.

Height and obnoxious exterior lights. Two things that enamor more boners than anything else on this site. Part of the beauty and elegance of Philly's skyline is that not every random/obscure building has a million lights on it. We're not Taipei or Shanghai. Nor should we want to be.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:17 PM
Philly Rising Up!

The glass on highrises are low-e types of glass and have a tint to them for the purposes of deflecting heat on sunny days and privacy. So, I think the glare or light issue coming in from the led lights are really not an issue. And, I like the fact that the led lights are facing the river so as to minimize its affect on nearby buildings.

Also, I think accentuating the building at night by lighting it up is visually cool for the onlookers and gives character to the city by night. we will never be built up like a Hong Kong or Shanghai. To each their own.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
You can very clearly see the glare of the lights on the glass. And what's the point of having floor to ceiling glass windows with clear view of Center City and West Philly if you have to keep your drapes drawn at night for privacy and/or glare reduction.

It looks ridiculous.

Height and obnoxious exterior lights. Two things that enamor more boners than anything else on this site. Part of the beauty and elegance of Philly's skyline is that not every random/obscure building has a million lights on it. We're not Taipei or Shanghai. Nor should we want to be.
The lights are on a balcony that leads into a living room/Kitchen area. Which, at night, when used, will have lights on...which will completely eliminate any effect that these ext lights might have. Your point would have more merit if these were hanging off or intruding on bedroom spaces, but they're not.

Standing on the South Street bridge the other night I was struck by how bright and modern the cityscape has become at night - with most of these buildings constructed in the last few years. In person, it's pretty stunning.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:

It looks ridiculous.

Jeeze. Calm down gramps. We'll turn the lights down when you go to bed.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 2:21 AM

Quote:
It would seem a little odd to buy in a hi rise building with views of other buildings and a highway and then object to exterior man made light penetrating your unit.
No, I don't think this is odd whatsoever. This could obviously be a very different thing than the low-grade general ambient lighting of a city. Potentially. However, other people (i.e. iheartphilly and even yourself) have posted some good bases to believe that these lights would not actually be burdensome to these condo owners. I don't know. But if I was buying there, I'd certainly check it out at night and would be annoyed if I actually purchased, these weren't disclosed, and it turned out to be bothersome.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 7:14 AM

We stayed at harrahs a/c one time in the tall tower. It has led lighting like this tower does, but from our room.you couldn't even tell.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-v6 View Post
We stayed at harrahs a/c one time in the tall tower. It has led lighting like this tower does, but from our room.you couldn't even tell.
Yep. LED lighting is quite common these days on hotels and other buildings in which folks sleep:

Last edited by Philly Fan; Jan 8, 2017 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 6:18 PM
Philly Pholly

Lovin the pics
With all the lighting available now, it is becoming quite commonplace and not just in Philly.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:03 AM

Just add plastic palm trees and we can be Wildwood on Schuylkill!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 1:33 PM

At least now we know where they got inspiration for the Penn New Patient Pavilion. See: Omni Hotel pic.

The lighting on each side of the river should be cool. It is a great way to create wow as you drive through Philly, especially for visitors as this is a common pathway through the city. I know many people don't want our city to be lit up like Vegas but this is an isolated section that welcomes so many people. It is simple and effective. Not overblown and glammy.

P.S. First and only time I say "glammy".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive