HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 13, 2005, 2:25 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

I want to visit HSB too sometime soon. How far away from York are you guys. I ask becasue I'm in York like once every 6 weeks or so. I'd really like to get down and visist the state capitol.

Wher e in HSB is a cool place for lunch?
Where in HSB is a cool place for dinner?

If you had an afternoon to spend in HSB, what should I see or do?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 10:11 AM
joining the rail club

philly drew...it's been awhile since i've been home, so i think Eastside can give you some better ideas. i think a walk downtown along 2nd street would turn up some cool places to eat. there's always a nice stroll through the state capitol grounds and gardens and then there's Strawberry Square and the Whitaker Center, if you have the time. there are many other museums and historic sites, but again it just depends on your interests and the length of your stay in Harrisburg. i'm a big fan of City Island...there's always stuff to do there. it's a short walk from DT.

in other news, an article i wrote to the Patriot-News about the corruption in the PA state gov't, was published in today's Sunday Patriot. here's the link:
http://www.pennlive.com/letters/patr...760.xml&coll=1

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 11:04 AM
joining the rail club

Possible research center site rezoned
Hershey Trust Co. explores project
Sunday, August 14, 2005
BY MEGAN WALDE
Of The Patriot-News

The Hershey Trust Co. has jumped the first hurdle in creating a research park adjacent to the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in Derry Twp.

The trust company won rezoning of its 125-acre site south of Route 322 and west of Bull Frog Valley Road last week. Supervisors agreed to change the township's zoning map to make the site more conducive to a future research park. Part of the site already was zoned for research park development.

Trust company representatives say there is no project on the books yet.

"We're going to work very closely with local government officials, the chamber and other economic development entities to explore the opportunity [this] presents," said Ken Gall, real estate manager for the trust company.

Proponents say a research park adjacent to the medical center -- which brings in about $100 million in research and is poised to begin a $500 million expansion -- could help this area become a hub where biomedical devices and drugs are created and companies spring up, or relocate, to market them.

"They mean the creation of new jobs, products and technologies that will spur economic growth and also hold great promise to improve health and enhance the quality of life for people throughout central Pennsylvania," said Jay Moskowitz, chief scientific officer for the medical center.

The site sits inside Hershey's part of the Harrisburg-area Keystone Innovation Zone. Innovation zones are part of a program of the state Department of Community and Economic Development. The program is designed to develop business opportunities from research being conducted at area colleges and universities, providing jobs that encourage college graduates to stay in Pennsylvania.

As the trust company moves forward on a plan for its site, it could look at the Science Center in Philadelphia as a model.

The 17-acre research park is nestled between the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University. It's the nation's oldest such endeavor, said Shawn Marcell, senior vice president for commercialization with the Science Center.

In 41 years, the park has created more than 350 companies. Another 35 companies are taking advantage of the center's incubator, where they get help fast-tracking their idea from lab to the market.

The Science Center offers a large wet-lab building, where researchers have access to the staff, materials and high-end equipment they need to test a new technology.

"Companies don't have to go out and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on equipment and lab space when they can share it amongst themselves here in the incubator," Marcell said.

A Hershey biotech business incubator could, for example, provide facilities where scientists involved with private ventures could have access to lab animals, Moskowitz said.

The Science Center also brings high-paying jobs to the city, Marcell said. "We've created, over the years, thousands of high-paying technical jobs, jobs that are definitely a cut above service-sector jobs."

That's a promising note for a town such as Hershey, whose economy -- other than the medical center and The Hershey Co.'s chocolate plant -- is built largely on tourism-related jobs. Supervisors have said they believe a research park would help diversify the job base.

MEGAN WALDE: 255-8454 or mwalde@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 11:08 AM
joining the rail club

i'm surprised the Cumberland county commissioners didn't apt for a BRT line, instead of extending the rail trail (that's intended as a dig at them, because of their antics towards CorridorOne, which like the rail trail, is considered an alternative means of spending for transit related projects). anyway, when i was a student at Shippensurg Univ. i used the trail quite a bit to run and bike. i'm glad to see the it's finally getting extended.

Rail trail might be extended to Carlisle
Sunday, August 14, 2005
BY MATT MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - Cumberland County commissioners have hired a Mechanicsburg consultant for $14,500 to determine if it is feasible to extend the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail.

The trail runs 11 miles along an abandoned bed of the Cumberland Valley Railroad from Newville to Shippensburg. A proposed Newville to Carlisle stretch would add nine miles.

ARRO Consulting Inc. will examine the route and talk with property owners abutting the rail bed to determine whether they would support the extension. It also will confer with PPL, which has utility transmission lines there.

The study is to be finished in 60 days.

Commissioner Rick Rovegno asked whether approving the ARRO study is premature since the county's open space plan, which recommends the trail extension, is not yet approved.

Stephanie Williams, open space coordinator, said the trail extension also is part of the county greenways plan, which commissioners have sanctioned.

Costs of the trail study will be paid from a $3 million bond issue commissioners borrowed to pursue open space and farm land preservation, Williams said.

MATT MILLER: 249-2006 or mmiller@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 1:20 PM
Me?!?

Rocking on Restaurant Row

City, not state, will monitor noise downtown

Sunday, August 14, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg's Restaurant Row won't be toning down the fun anytime soon.

Owners of bars and restaurants along Second Street have received state permission to keep their outdoor music speakers plugged in for another two years.

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board voted unanimously last week to continue allowing city police to handle noise enforcement of downtown bars.

City enforcement gives the bars broader latitude on outdoor music, which is barred under PLCB rules. That will keep the music playing for al fresco diners.

It's the third year in a row that the PLCB has allowed local noise enforcement.

This time around, no one from the public spoke against the arrangement.

The board decided to give Harrisburg two years of authority. City police also enforced a 60-day period in the summer of 2003 and a full year in 2004.

"The board feels that the Harrisburg police have done an excellent job of enforcing it," said PLCB spokeswoman Molly McGowan.

Harrisburg had requested anywhere from a two-year period of enforcement to an open-ended period.

McGowan said the two-year period approved is the longest term anywhere in the state.

While there were a smattering of noise complaints the first two years of local enforcement, city spokesman Randy King said there have been none this summer.

He said there were no citations issued this season and that bar owners have been quick to respond to any violations noted by police.

As for how loud is too loud, Harrisburg's noise standard is relatively simple: If music is plainly audible 50 feet from its source, it's a violation.

To extend the city's local enforcement, Harrisburg will have to apply for another exemption and the PLCB would hold a public hearing before voting on the request.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 1:45 PM
joining the rail club

^ excellent news. you beat to this Dave.

Here's an update on the Bypass project, which like the US 22/Jonestown Rd-Allentown Blvd project, will hopefully reduce congestion and address safety concerns for the region's motorists.

Work on bypass lanes to alter traffic patterns
Sunday, August 14, 2005
BY FRANK COZZOLI
Of The Patriot-News
Commuters who use the intersection of 21st Street and the Camp Hill Bypass might want to find alternate routes.

Staring at 8 p.m. today, the eastbound lanes of the bypass will be cut to one lane between 21st Street and just west of the Erford Road exit for the next phase of a $2.2 million project.

Motorists will contend with a single-lane pattern for up to 45 days while crews realign and rebuild the lanes heading into and through the underpass that takes the bypass beneath U.S. Routes 11/15.

"There will be some residual backup, we just don't know how extensive it will be," said Greg Penny, spokesman for the District 8 office of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

Delays in manufacturing and the arrival of overhead sign poles and concrete barrier scuttled PennDOT's plans to have this phase of the project completed earlier.

Once the work begins, the speed limit will be reduced to 35 mph from 21st Street to where traffic clears the single-lane pattern.

Crews will initially rebuild the left eastbound lane and pave the off-ramp that's been built to make left turns onto 21st Street from the westbound bypass.

Once that's done, work will shift to the right lane. During that phase, motorists will be traveling through a cattle chute that will be only 11 feet wide.

Chris Kohan, a PennDOT inspector, said the contractor could be finished early. "They're anticipating that if things go well, to be done in about 30 to 35 days," Kohan said.

Once the reconstruction of the eastbound lanes is completed, crews will begin repaving the intersection. That work will be carried out at night.

Kohan said the 21st and Bypass project might be finished by late October or early November.

FRANK COZZOLI: 975-9797 or fcozzoli@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 1:46 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew
I want to visit HSB too sometime soon. How far away from York are you guys. I ask becasue I'm in York like once every 6 weeks or so. I'd really like to get down and visist the state capitol.

Wher e in HSB is a cool place for lunch?
Where in HSB is a cool place for dinner?

If you had an afternoon to spend in HSB, what should I see or do?

Philly-Drew, York is about 30 miles from DT HBG and a quick ride up I-83.

Just about anywhere in DT is a good place to go for lunch. The Spot, the Sandwich Man...you name it. Just hit 2nd st. and go from there.

Dinner, same thing: 2nd St. It's nicknamed "Restauarant Row" if that gives you any indication.

If I had an afternoon I would see the Capitol, the State Museum, Strawberry Square, which is a DT mall that has the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts attached to it. I would walk around DT and just take it all in. I would also recommend City Island, which is a short walk over the river via a pedestrian bridge downtown. When you get across you have a beuatiful view of the entire skyline.

I hope this helps, and if you need anything else please feel free to ask.

Some websites that may be helpful:

http://www.harrisburgpa.gov/

http://www.harrisburghello.com/

http://www.whitakercenter.org/home/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2005, 4:50 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Thanks for the update EastSide. I will definately check it out!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2005, 2:31 AM
Administrator

Soeone should really update one of the first posts of this thread, so that it includes a developments list.

The links currently there do not work, as it appears the threads were pruned.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2005, 4:55 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
Soeone should really update one of the first posts of this thread, so that it includes a developments list.

The links currently there do not work, as it appears the threads were pruned.
wrightchr had a pretty decent list a few posts back. but yeah, someday when I have time to kill (i.e. never LOL) I would like to put an updated HBG project list together.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 11:01 PM
Me?!?

HIA noise in Highspire puts homes in buy zone

Tuesday, August 16, 2005
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

Almost half of Highspire's homeowners might be able to sell their houses to Harrisburg International Airport if the borough wants to sign off on an offer that HIA must make.

The question is: How many would sell if given the chance?

About 500 homeowners could sell to the airport because a study shows that they are within a federally established "noise annoyance" zone. The borough has about 1,200 homes, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Highspire Borough Council must agree to participate in the program, and the prospect of homeowners fleeing Highspire worries officials in the borough, with a population of about 2,700. HIA would pay residents for their homes mostly with federal money.

Residents of Eshelman Street -- a broad, tree-lined thoroughfare where children ride bicycles, people walk dogs and American flags flutter from many front porches -- seem divided about whether to stay or sell to HIA, given the chance.

Some longtime residents, such as Gilbert Gerhards and Robert Chubb, have no plans to move.

Chubb, of 641 Eshelman St., said the planes can be noisy.

"A lot of flights take off at night," he said. "You never get completely used to it. But it's not so bad in the winter when your windows are closed. I've lived here since 1948. I'm going to stay right where I'm at."

But Christina Meals, who has lived in the borough less than two years, and Ashley Coates, a lifelong resident, are ready to start packing.

"I like Highspire because it's a friendly town," said Meals, who lives at 502 Eshelman St. with her husband, Dustin Meals. "We've lived in this house since November and were on Second Street before that. But there's too much airport noise."

When her windows are open, "We sometimes can't hear each other talk," Christina Meals said. "The jets take off several times a day."

Dustin Meals said he's grown accustomed to the planes. "I don't hear anything," he said. "We knew there was an airport when we moved here."

Their four-bedroom, two-story house, built in the 1940s, was appraised at $95,000 when they bought it as a starter home, they said.

"We planned to stay here a few years, turn it into rental property and move somewhere else," Dustin Meals said. "But if we can sell it now, we'll move up our timetable. Maybe we'll move to the Lower Dauphin or Middletown school districts."

Coates, of 504 Eshelman St., said that the largest planes "rattle our windows and make the house shake a bit."

"You do get used to it after a while," Coates said.

For Coates and others, Steelton-Highspire School District, which has fared poorly in state reading and math tests, is another deterrent to staying.

"Highspire is a good town, but the school district isn't very good," Coates said. "It's sad to leave Highspire, but it's important for kids to get a good education. I send my daughter to a private school."

"When we have kids, we don't want them to go to the Steelton-Highspire School District," Christina Meals said.

Coates is willing to sell her home, for which she paid $60,000 five years ago. "Our houses are old, and the airport noise lowers the value of them," she said.

Mayor Wayne Shank, who has lived in Highspire 72 years, said the airport noise never bothered him.

Gerhards, of 28 Willow St., who has lived in Highspire for decades, agreed.

"I don't know why people complain," he said. "They knew about it when they moved here. You don't hear it inside, just when you're out. I'm not leaving Highspire."

Fred Testa, HIA director of aviation, said HIA's choices on the noise were limited.

"We can't close the airport," Testa said. "We can't change our flight patterns very much. We thought of having smaller planes climb higher until they turn, but the [Federal Aviation Administration] said no. We couldn't ask the military not to fly close or low. That left doing something with the houses."

He said HIA's choices were to offer federally funded home improvements or to buy the houses. With Highspire house prices averaging $80,000, and the cost of soundproofing, insulation and extra walls running $30,000 to $40,000, the cost of improvements is prohibitive, he said.

"The government won't do that," Testa said. "That leaves a voluntary buyout program."

John McHale, Highspire borough manager, said some borough residents "think there's a windfall involved."

"There's not. Highspire property values are less than other areas due to the age of homes," he said.

MARY KLAUS: 255-8113 or mklaus@patriot-news.com

TO LEARN MORE

Highspire residents can learn about the possibility of selling their homes to Harrisburg International Airport at a meeting at 5:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Highspire Fire Company.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2005, 9:23 AM
joining the rail club

i know borough residents don't like this at all...but at least the buyout option is available. it never was before. the possibility of expanding adjacent property at HIA would also exist...even though SARAA said it would not pursue that as a priority in the buyout. the airport needs more land.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2005, 10:22 AM
joining the rail club

i lived about a block away from this area when i lived in wormleysburg. this project has been planned for over a decade...hopefully funding will provide a means to an end here. the congestion at this rail crossing is definately a saftey hazard.

Underpass plan gets economist's backing
Stella Street would pass below tracks

Wednesday, August 17, 2005
BY JERRY L. GLEASON
Of The Patriot-News

The economic benefit of routing Stella Street traffic under the Norfolk Southern railroad in Wormleysburg would exceed the cost of building the underpass, according to a Dickinson College economics professor.

William K. Bellinger, who conducted an economic impact study for the borough, estimated the net benefit of the project at $7.6 million.

The project has an estimated cost of $7.4 million.

Bellinger, one of the speakers last night at an informational meeting on the project at the Greek Orthodox Church in Wormleysburg, said, "This project makes economic sense. It should be funded."

Bellinger based his estimates on wage losses caused by traffic delays, increased property values in the area and income for local construction companies and their employees.

The estimated 200 people who attended last night's meeting expressed strong support for the project that borough council President Thomas G. Kanganis called "our No. 1 priority." The existing grade-level Stella Street crossing offers the only route across the railroad tracks that bisect the borough. On average, 6,689 vehicles use it every day.

Trains now block the crossing several times a day, Kanganis said, and a new connector planned by Norfolk Southern will route even more trains over the line.

Wormleysburg officials want to divert Stella Street, which becomes Poplar Church Road west of the crossing, under the railroad track via a two-lane underpass.

A temporary railroad line would be built west of the current tracks to maintain railroad traffic while the underpass is being built.

Harsco Corp., which is based on Stella Street, has agreed to donate land for the underpass and realignment of the street.

Harsco spokesman Kenneth D. Julian said the project has the support of major businesses in the area, including Holy Spirit Hospital, Highmark Inc., EDS, RiteAid, Gannet Flemming and Commerce Bank.

The next step is to seek state and federal funding for the project.

"It's time for our legislators, the professional planners at PennDOT and our regional planning commissions to take the necessary action to fast-track the project," Kanganis said.

JERRY L. GLEASON: 975-9782 or jgleason@patriot-news.co

Old Posted Aug 19, 2005, 11:55 PM
Me?!?

An interesting project for sure, Chris. I wonder if it will ever get done, though...

Some random thoughts:

My girlfriend and I were coming home late last night (Thursday) and saw one hell of an accident on the Market St. Bridge. I wonder what people are doing these days...do they even think?!? :nuts:

Also, 2nd St. was PACKED and you would've sworn it was a Friday or a Saturday night.

They are putting a Sheetz in near the HBG Mall in TecPort. Oh hell yeah, nice and close to my crib!!! No more running out to Linglestown Rd. or 114 whenever I need my Sheetz fix, I have it right down the road now.

TecPort is going to be really nice for the area but REALLY busy. I can see that whole area becoming one big mess in the very near future. I'm not complaining in any way, though, and I am happy to see all of the much needed infill. Swatara Twp. sure has a lot of growth on its plate!!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2005, 12:17 PM
joining the rail club

^ i think Swatara is growing like crazy. that sheetz will do quite well. the township is adding more police officers as well...including one at Steelton-Highspire HS. they also just approved merging two fire stations and building a new consolidated complex for them. improvements and widening of I-283, PA 283, Airport Exwy, Lindle Road, and US 322 will also help to accomodate current and future growth in the area.

other interesting facts: the township has a population of 22,611 (2000 census) and most of the municipality lies in the Harrisburg zip codes. it's one of nealry 10 municipalities in the Harrisburg area with a population over 20,000.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2005, 2:28 PM
joining the rail club

Noteworthy: The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission will dedicate an official state historical marker for the Harrisburg Giants baseball team of the Negro Leagues at 5 p.m. today at Commerce Bank Park on City Island. The African American Museum of Harrisburg Inc. will co-sponsor the event that will be attended by several players from the 1954 Giants team.

pretty cool huh!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2005, 2:33 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchr
they also just approved merging two fire stations and building a new consolidated complex for them.
Well that was the case. But when construction was almost complete some petty squabbling started and both fire departments backed out, leaving the twp. holding the bag on the new station. I haven't heard much since then so I don't if it has been resolved yet or not. Hopefully it has been.

Yeah, pretty cool about the HBG Giants.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2005, 3:38 PM
joining the rail club

^ that's so retarded

Old Posted Aug 21, 2005, 12:01 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Last time I checked, dedicated funding for mass transit programs was not included in the 12-year plans, only "capital" (vehicles, track, buildings, etc.) projects. According to my copy of the 12-year plans, CorridorOne is already in for the construction phase, but when dealing with that timeframe, only the first 4 years are fixed to any degree. Good luck CorridorOne.

Give bridges priority in 12-year plan, panel urged
Saturday, August 20, 2005
BY FRANK COZZOLI
Of The Patriot-News

A day after a Perry County bridge collapsed, sending a Carlisle truck driver to hospital with minor injuries, a Perry County lawmaker yesterday told the State Transportation Commission that replacing Pennsylvania's aging bridges has to be a priority.

"Bridges are critical links to our transportation network and they are in deteriorating condition and need to be addressed before it becomes a crisis," said State Rep. Mark Keller, R-New Bloomfield.

On Thursday, part of a 78-year-old steel-truss bridge carrying Dellville Road over Shermans Creek collapsed as a dump truck crossed it. The bridge was scheduled to be replaced next year at a cost of $2.3 million.

Leon G. Kelley's truck, loaded with slate, apparently far exceeded the 15-ton weight limit, police said. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation said it is working to expedite the replacement project.

Commission members happened to be in Lancaster yesterday for the third of seven regional hearings as the panel starts the process to update the state's 12-Year Transportation Plan, which serves as the blueprint for highway and bridge work statewide.

It is unclear how much money will be available to add projects to existing plans. The Harrisburg area's current four-year "transportation improvement program' totals nearly $342 million.

"It might be October until we know what our resources will be," said Terry Adams, planning and programming engineer for PennDOT's District 8 office.

Under the new federal transportation bill, PennDOT expects to get about $1.6 billion over five years, spokesman Rich Kirkpatrick said.

That works out to about $243 million more each year than the state gets now. But it could be two months before PennDOT and its county and regional planning partners reach a consensus on how to distribute the money.

State officials are considering a $350 million "set aside" fund to use solely for interstate restoration projects.

Yesterday, however, was the day to pitch pet projects.

Keller, chairman of the Harrisburg Area Transportation Study, alluded to the funding crisis facing the region. Studies have identified more than $2 billion in projects to widen portions of interstates 81 and 83.

The state would require funding from outside sources for all the needed work, Keller said. He urged the commission to make bridge repairs a priority, as well as transit funding to get Harrisburg's regional rail system moving.

"Our future depends on a balanced transportation network," Keller said. "A predictable revenue stream for mass transit is a must."

Derry Twp. officials touted five projects, topped by widening Route 322 to five lanes between Bullfrog Valley and Homestead roads.

Wormleysburg Council President Thomas Kanganis lobbied for the proposed $7.4 million project to build a Stella Street underpass at the Norfolk Southern Corp. tracks.

Carol Witzeman, co-chair of the Peoples' Bridge Coalition, asked to keep the project to restore the western spans of the Walnut Street Bridge in the 12-year plan.

Witzeman said the group is confident it will secure $15 million in nontransportation funds to repair the historic bridge, which was damaged in the January 1996 flood.

FRANK COZZOLI: 975-9797 or fcozzoli@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Aug 21, 2005, 2:20 AM
Most Trusted

Sheehs, mass transit gets such a hard time all around the state. It's too bad so many people don't understand why it's needed. At least Hburg has some people in the know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations