HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
I have taken the initiative of tapping into the most innovative minds the world has to offer
Yeah, it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out how to do all this. Other subway systems seem to be working just fine even ones built with cheap labor and I'm sure the one in Saudi Arabia will work despite being built with what is essentially slave labor. If it takes X amount of man hours and X amount of dollars to upgrade one component and you have 20,000 components then if you want them done faster you're going to need more men and more money. Some political will might help. You know, like having the balls to take on the unions that drove prices through the roof, get rid of the consultants who do nothing but enrich themselves and maybe even shut some lines down for a few weeks at a time for upgrades to streamline replacements instead of trying to work on lines while they're still operating 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:21 PM

adding debt to mta:

MTA criticized for adding $1.6 billion in debt for Cuomo projects

By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com May 24, 2017

A slew of MTA projects received funding on Wednesday after its board voted to approve a controversial capital plan amendment that saddles the agency with another $1.6 billion in debt.

The added debt will allow the agency to increase its current five-year capital plan from $29.5 billion to $32.5 billion in order to pay for big projects like work on the second phase of the Second Avenue subway, as well as new countdown clocks and subway cars.

It will also help fund several projects heralded by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, like open-road tolling and the MTA’s initiative to revamp 32 subway stations.

more:
http://www.amny.com/transit/mta-crit...cts-1.13662223

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
adding debt to mta:

MTA criticized for adding $1.6 billion in debt for Cuomo projects
This is kind of a silly criticism. Cuomo added $1.6 billion in spending in MTA-related projects, which is a good thing if you value transit. It's either more transit funding and more debt, or less transit funding and less debt, pick one.

This means the $2 billion LIRR main line expansion project will be completed, it means nearly a billion in additional funding for the next phase of Second Avenue Subway, and it means 45 subway stations are now on the list for renovation. Cuomo, for all his faults, it at least spending big on transit and infrastructure (which is more than I can say for the insanely unpopular, soon to be departed gov. across the Hudson).

I don't even think we've had an SSP thread on the LIRR main line project. This is a huge deal for commuters coming from the east. It will be a massive expansion of potential capacity along the busiest LIRR corridor.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:58 AM

^ probably there is no thread because there is nothing to show for now but a hole in the ground at sunnyside yards. there is even a much bigger project, the water line project, that gets no ssp thread love either. if you think east side access is under the radar, that one is totally stealth. water needs transit development too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
We need to get subway pushers down the line like in Japan. IF they won't invest as much for the subway, then pay a guy to push folks into the train. Cram as many as you can into the train cars. And make them wear a hat too!

we have them! they are called controllers. they have vests and line the tracks just like japan. they were out in force all this week at w14st/8thav station. i asked them that very question, were they going to push us in like in japan and they said no and just laughed. they yell at people to stand aside as the doors open and try to be an active presence and thats about it. i didnt mind it, it was kind of comforting to have eyes in the station, but i can't imagine mta can keep it up or that its widespread across the system (but it isnt in tokyo either).

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 12:22 AM
@TechTalkGuy (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
we have them! they are called controllers. they have vests and line the tracks just like japan. they were out in force all this week at w14st/8thav station. i asked them that very question, were they going to push us in like in japan and they said no and just laughed.
Imagine the lawsuits if someone is injured being pushed/shoved beyond their limit and sustain injury leading to collapse or possible death.

The enormous crowds are what you should expect from a major city like NY.

If you ride mass transit and you hate crowds, you are living in the wrong city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation