HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:32 PM

I'm glad I'm not enduring the horrible winter that people in the Midwest and Northeast have endured for the past 2 years.

That said, I only prefer Maritime climates over Continental climates if you can guarantee that you get a decent summer.

The Pacific Northwest has a pretty reliable and beautiful summer, albeit a very short one.

Northern Europe, on the other hand? Summer in the British Isles, Northern Germany and the Low Countries can be a complete crapshoot.

Even here in Vancouver, June could have the essentially same temperature and precipitation conditions as March. We don't call it "June-uary" for nothing.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
He didn't say that.
He didn't say that but his economic policies did work. Perhaps a bit like saying Hitler was a good leader because he built the autobahn, though.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 12:00 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Pinochet's military junta overthrew a democratically elected liberal government, with US help, and imposed radical conservatism at the barrel of a gun--the opposite of the people's clearly expressed will. Thousands were rounded up, held in stadiums merely for their personally-held views, and many thousands were "disappeared." I cannot fathom why one would praise such a murderous fascist, but then, I'm only beginning to get an idea of Trantor's politics. I guess the means justify the end--as long as the end is the type of conservatism desired.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 12:14 AM

I'm getting tired. This could easily get on my nerves right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not asking for anyone to be punished by moderators, however. Pretty sure both Trantor and 10023 basically know they're going wrong anyhow, so there's no need for suspending them or anything.

But fflint is surely a smarter ass, tho.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 5:17 AM

^ if I were to be suspended for anything I've said, then this forum has no hope as a venue for discussion.

Try reading my post again. I'm not supporting the means, and there is no doubt that he was an awful person, but Chile has had the most successful Latin American economy. The policies worked, whether they were against the wishes of the people or not.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 6:40 AM
Administrator

Nobody's getting moderated over anything I've seen said in this thread.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 6:23 PM
America's Hometown

The winter weather of the Sun Belt is overrated. Sure it's nice...but when the days are long the weather there is unbearable. When the days are long I want to be outside. So cold weather when days are short really isn't that big of deal.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
The winter weather of the Sun Belt is overrated. Sure it's nice...but when the days are long the weather there is unbearable. When the days are long I want to be outside. So cold weather when days are short really isn't that big of deal.
I can't stand "winter" in the South (save South Florida because there it's actually nice all year round... which is not totally my cup of tea either, but certainly serves as a nice place to get away to from Jan-Mar).

I'd MUCH rather have an actual winter with snow and cold, rather than that ungodly depressing 40-50 degree gray brownness that permeates the winter months in places in the southeastern US. It's awful to me.

People talk about the winter in North Carolina or Tennessee or wherever being so "bearable" and mild... I say it sucks and agree that it is completely overrated. After living in both for a significant number of years, I'll take snowy and cold over 40s/50s rainy crap shit-brown grass no leaves on trees weather any day.

Thanks... end of weather rant.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Try reading my post again.
You're right, I'm sorry. I read too quickly.

However, I also read several times that the results of Pinochet's economic policy had been rather overrated, and not in particularly leftist writings. People who came after him are surely no strangers in Chile's economic performances supposed to be satisfying today. I forget but there must be some figures somewhere to check on that. And politics is annoying anyway, as we're seeing here one more fuckin' time.

@Jason I didn't say that either. You just do whatever you find necessary, I don't mind .

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 9:20 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
I can't stand "winter" in the South (save South Florida because there it's actually nice all year round... which is not totally my cup of tea either, but certainly serves as a nice place to get away to from Jan-Mar).

I'd MUCH rather have an actual winter with snow and cold, rather than that ungodly depressing 40-50 degree gray brownness that permeates the winter months in places in the southeastern US. It's awful to me.

People talk about the winter in North Carolina or Tennessee or wherever being so "bearable" and mild... I say it sucks and agree that it is completely overrated. After living in both for a significant number of years, I'll take snowy and cold over 40s/50s rainy crap shit-brown grass no leaves on trees weather any day.

Thanks... end of weather rant.
this winter has seen snow/ice on the ground for an extended period, something i'm not used to. its prevented me from going for runs/etc and im blaming it for my winter-pudge, lol. there are a lot of sunny/dry winter days in the southeast, and some winters we experience that here (as does DC i imagine). i'm in the camp of give me some winter, with lots of dry sunny 45 F days and snowfalls that melt within a week. i hate the brown snowpiles and salt crust shit that i associate with chicago.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 9:37 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

Well I prefer the latter. So there.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Then you most likely have a weak will and flimsy constitution. How bout that?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 10:58 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I've been wondering if California will see a notable influx of easterners due to the last couple of brutal winters. Haven't really noticed one yet, but then, we're getting an influx of people from all over the place at the moment.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I've been wondering if California will see a notable influx of easterners due to the last couple of brutal winters. Haven't really noticed one yet, but then, we're getting an influx of people from all over the place at the moment.
I doubt it. CA will always get tons of folks from other places, but people from the East/Midwest moving based on weather reasons generally tend to go South, not West (with possible exception of Arizona for Chicagoland folks). CA has nice weather too but isn't hot in the desirable areas, and is too expensive. Your average Joe will move to Tampa or something.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 4:44 AM
E pluribus unum

People from the Midwest (specifically, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska) don't appear to be flocking to Arizona as much as they used to, at least, not since the recession hit.

Most of our snowbirds now come from Canada's prairie provinces. It's impossible to count the number of cars you see in the Phoenix area and along I-17 with Alberta and Manitoba (and to a lesser extent, Saskatchewan) license plates this time of year, there's so damn many of them.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Most people will likely agree with you, not him. Plus it's not like deciduous trees aren't leafless in a cold winter anyway.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Most people will likely agree with you, not him.
True, and that's a good thing from my perspective. Because most people have a weak will and flimsy constitution. Actually, most people are stupid and lazy too.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ not that complicated. when talking about america use american systems of measurement. when talking about another country use theirs.
This is the City Discussions section, not the USA section. It's not for "talking about America", it's for talking about cities everywhere. Besides, it's easy to put an F after the number if you want to use fahnrenheit. It would make it easier for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Bad weather does give us nice shots like this:

But thats the only thing its good for.
It's also good for this:

https://www.skilouise.com/news-and-info/media/news.php

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:23 PM

Quote:
People talk about the winter in North Carolina or Tennessee or wherever being so "bearable" and mild... I say it sucks and agree that it is completely overrated.
Quote:
True, and that's a good thing from my perspective. Because most people have a weak will and flimsy constitution. Actually, most people are stupid and lazy too.

Having had the "opportunity" over the years to do physically tough work in both Cascades' Kingsey Falls QC plant in winter and Rockingham NC plant in August, I'd say that the latter was actually the one I'd recommend least for anyone with a "flimsy constitution".

At least in winter you can dress up; there's no way to escape the southeastern sun when it's +40C and humid. (Well, maybe an air conditioned astronaut suit or something, but that's not as easy to get as winter wear).

I'd say the only place on the continent where you can look down on the locals as climatic weaklings is the central coastal West Coast.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 8:56 PM
It could be worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
A lot of my New York and Philly relatives have already moved or are planning on it. The only ones who plan on sticking around seem to be in their 30's or 40's with careers and kids. Most of the cousins who relocated went to Florida, though, and are retired. Only two came to California (one to SF last August and the other to LA a couple of weeks ago).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions