HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:27 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Relish is great! I've been to the one in Fredericton a few times.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 4:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Editorial from today's T&T

Moncton council priorities skewed
Published Saturday January 15th, 2011

Moncton City Council is struggling with approving its capital works budget for this year, but it is time for councillors to step back and consider their priorities. Citizens are getting fed up with all the council hand-wringing over progressive projects that are designed to, and will without doubt, bring growth and revenue to the municipality.

It is time our councillors recognized that what Moncton does best is recreation (sports and entertainment) and tourism. We invariably shine and win great praise for our events, large and small, and they bring tens of thousands of visitors to the city who spend huge amounts while here and boost our economy. Sometimes it is big concerts, sometimes festivals, sometimes large sporting events and sometimes other attractions, but the point, and their benefits, are the same. But Moncton cannot continue growing and continue to sustain such activity - and again it is what we are best at and what is pushing our city to the forefront in our region - without investing in the necessary infrastructure.

We note that Saint John is beginning to understand this and is correctly being urged by its newspaper to continue investing in recreation and quality of life facilities, not only because citizens want it but also because these things are what define a city and its quality of life and what help make it attractive to investors and visitors alike, thus spurring growth.

Meanwhile, despite all Moncton's success and proven track record, we still hear hand-wringing on council over the cost of the new stadium, including a modest last minute overrun. But Mayor George LeBlanc is correct: the spending was justified and the stadium will continue paying big dividends to the city over many years to come as it hosts more and more events.

Council does have 'meat and potatoes' items to attend to, including roads, but city council is also spending all kinds of money on questionable projects when it ought to be putting the cash into what we do best. Why is the city engaging in political pandering by funding universities (two of them) when it is a provincial responsibility? And that was done essentially behind closed doors and with little debate or hand-wringing.

Why is council planning expensive traffic circles when citizens neither like them nor need them? Why has council in the past put a rooftop garden on city hall, inaccessible and unseen? And the list can go on. Moncton City Council needs to get its priorities straight.

Personal note - The tone of the last two paragraphs is a little harsh, but aside from that, this is a very good editorial and serves to highlight the fact that Moncton does indeed need to invest in the in the necessary infrastructure to continue our progress towards being a regional entertainment, retail and sports hub. We need a new downtown arena/events and convention centre to complement our existing facilties and infrastructure. This will likely mean a civic investment of $30-40M, supplemented by federal and provincial funding and hopefully some private sector involvement as well. This investment however is necessary, especially when you see new convention facilities in Fredericton, Charlottetown and Halifax and when you realize that the Coliseum is actually the oldest major arena in the region. This needs to be done.......

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are beginning to put up the structural steel for the new medical/dental building on Mapleton Road, next to Lady Ada Street and the Future Inn.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 1:24 PM

I took my family to a Wildcats game this weekend, and it will be the last one we go to for a long time. There was nothing wrong with the product on the ice (even though the Wildcats lost), the problem was the building. We had tickets in the upper bowl and we couldn't stay to watch the end of the game. The problem was the heat, it was so hot that my daughter ended up getting sick and my son who is less than a year old was sweating and uncomfortable the whole time. It is amazing to me that on a cool January day (-6 at game time) that they are unable to keep the arena at a reasonable temperature.
I was there during the Memorial cup a few years ago when it was warm outside and it was unbearable then, but I attributed it to the unseasonably warm temperatures outside. It it time for a new venue. The coliseum being over 40 years old was not built with the changing environment in mind. Aside from all the other advantages of building a new facility, the fact that they can't regulate the temperature in the building properly should be cause enough to get something built. Its time to put up the money and get this project started. In my mind there is no sound argument about not doing this and even if the provincial and federal governments won't put up enough to cover the one third of the project required (according to one of the MANY reports) I think the city should find other ways of funding this, whether it be a public/private partnership or whatever they come up with. Until then, I'll be listening to the games on the radio.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:11 PM

"There was nothing wrong with the product on the ice"

I agree 100%. I've attended 1 Wild Cats game since day one, and that was last year. I want to attend more, but never again at the Coliseum. It's not even a price of admission issue, it's purely a horrible venue experience which is keeping me away from this building.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
"There was nothing wrong with the product on the ice"

I agree 100%. I've attended 1 Wild Cats game since day one, and that was last year. I want to attend more, but never again at the Coliseum. It's not even a price of admission issue, it's purely a horrible venue experience which is keeping me away from this building.
I agree as well. When I lived in SJ, my wife and I had season tickets to the Flames. We moved to the Moncton area almost 6 years ago and I have been to exactly one Wildcats game. It was very uncomfortable sitting in those stands and I am not going out of my way to see games until the situation with the Coliseum is resolved.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 9:34 PM

I think I've been to a total of 2 Wildcats games. I was dragged to both and never went back.
I've been to the Bell Centre twice as many times. Great memories! Hockey belongs downtown!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, as a Wildcats seasons ticket holder, I feel compelled to offer some defence of the team and of the venue.....

Firstly, as other people have mentioned, there is nothing wrong with the product. In fact, the Wildcats are the most successful franchise in the QMJHL over the last five years, having gone to the Memorial Cup twice during that time. The team should not be punished for the failings of the venue.

My defence of the Coliseum is much more muted. The most I will say is that lower bowl seating is somewhat better than upper bowl seating and that the arena tends to be less stuffy when you don't have full houses like we did on the weekend

I think the main take away from the opinions expressed above is that the franchise should be even more successful when relocated to a new downtown arena. The Wildcats have the third best attendance in the Q at present at about 4,800 per game. In a new venue, I wonder if attendance would increase to between 5,500 and 6,000?

Yet another reason to build a new arena.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 2:24 AM

Oh, of course. I don't think anyone's complaining about the product. I'm a huge hockey fan and would love to see more games, but not in their current location. A big thing for me when it comes to hockey is the excitement before hand and the celebration after a win. I can't get excited knowing I'm going to the coliseum and I can't celebrate a Wildcats win without waiting in my car for an hour+ to get out of the parking lot. I'd much rather park downtown early, eat, go see the game and experience a nice atmosphere, then downtown again afterwards.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Metro plans traffic future
Published Monday January 17th, 2011

Communities creating regional master plan to deal with changes in traffic volume and flow
By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

As Metro Moncton continues to grow both residentially and commercially, the traffic hot spots are well known to local residents.

If you're a Riverview resident working in Moncton, you probably know exactly the time of day West Main Street at the causeway bottlenecks and it's easier to take the Gunningsville Bridge home.

If you're a Dieppe resident trying to get to and from Moncton, it's likely you are able to time your commute so finely that you're convinced it saves you five seconds every morning on Champlain Street, Paul Street or Veterans Highway, Highway 15.

And if you live or work in north-end Moncton ... if you can avoid the Trinity Drive, Plaza Boulevard and Mountain Road area, your day probably runs a lot smoother.

As Metro grows, so do its traffic problems. In recent years, each municipality has made strides in trying to improve traffic flow, including in the trouble spots just mentioned.

In fact, tri-community staff and councils are just starting the process of working together to form a regional transportation master plan.

Michel Ouellet, director of engineering and public works with the Town of Riverview, says the project is literally just beginning, so he couldn't offer anything in the way of details.

Riverview Mayor Clarence Sweetland says the idea is to paint an "overall picture of the tri-community, which is pretty sizable."

For Riverview's part, the smallest of the three municipalities rarely sees a bottleneck of traffic, aside from the occasional, brief backups on Coverdale Road next to the Atlantic Superstore and fast food restaurants.

The biggest road construction project taken on in the town in recent history is the construction of the new Gunningsville Bridge, along with Gunningsville Boulevard, which wraps around the middle of town, connecting the bridge with the town's burgeoning Findlay Park business area.

"Our problem always was the old bridge," Sweetland says, explaining that it would create traffic delays and make it difficult getting in and out of town.

The new four-lane bridge opened in 2005, and was followed in 2008 by Gunningsville Boulevard, which a study that year said diverted 2,800 cars daily off of Coverdale Road. Coverdale is the town's main artery that sees 22,000 vehicles per day in the heart of downtown.

The purpose of the new road wasn't so much to divert traffic as it was to open up land for possible development.

"It's kind of built more for the future than it was to fix a problem now," explains Ouellet.

Riverview may not have serious traffic troubles, but Moncton and Dieppe both have their difficult areas.

In Moncton, a massive project on Mapleton Road near Trinity Drive has improved traffic in that area, and the city also completed a project at the intersection of Horsman and Berry Mills roads. Another possible change in the future would see the addition of another turn lane off Berry Mills onto Edinburgh to ease congestion.

Stephane Thibodeau, transportation co-ordinator, says the city usually waits about a year after any major traffic changes to calculate exactly how traffic flow was impacted. So while numbers aren't available yet, Thibodeau says the changes Moncton made in recent history have made a difference.

"It usually takes about six months for motorists or drivers to get accustomed to changing their travel habits," he says.

"We've noticed for the first couple months, nothing really changed much for Mountain Road when Horsman and Berry Mills were opened. But as it came toward the sixth month, you noticed a big difference in the morning, especially trying to go down Mountain Road; it's less congested."

Mountain Road at Trinity Drive, its busiest spot, sees an average of 32,000 vehicles a day. Only a few kilometres up Mountain, at Gorge Road, an average of 21,000 vehicles travel there a day.

As far as Mapleton goes, Thibodeau says opening up extra lanes in the power centre changed traffic flow "over night."

"It works much, much better," he says. "We're hoping that will really stimulate more development growth in the area."

He says there are no plans to widen the rest of Mapleton Road past Carson Drive, heading toward Mountain Road, as it isn't meant to be a major traffic artery and it's in a more residential area.

Another big project the city just completed was the somewhat hidden but oft-used Millennium Boulevard, which connects Vaughn Harvey Boulevard to Killam Drive next to the Moncton Coliseum.

"Millennium is a long-term project," Thibodeau explains. It now has sidewalks and curb and gutter, but eventually the city wants to improve access to Millennium at Pacific Avenue and Vaughn Harvey Boulevard.

In addition, there are long-term plans to align Millennium with Worthington Avenue on the other side of Killam into one large intersection.

Next year, a roundabout is planned, connecting Russ Howard Drive to Killam, Purdy and Collishaw.

Thibodeau says there are always areas that can use improvement, but those are the big projects planned. As for the Trinity, Mountain, Plaza bottleneck, he says there's not much that can be done. He says traffic lights have been adjusted to help ease congestion, and also noted that changes to nearby Mapleton and the Berry Mills/Horsman area have helped.

The transportation co-ordinator says the transportation master plan with Riverview and Dieppe will involve councils, staff, the province, the public and consultants. It will deal not only with private vehicles, but also pedestrian traffic and public transportation.

It is expected take a year to two years to complete.

In Dieppe, the obvious recent traffic change was work completed to Paul Street, a major artery that connects downtown Dieppe to Champlain Place and Crystal Palace, Highway 15 and Wheeler Boulevard.

Jacques LeBlanc, the city's director of engineering and public works, says Paul Street receives an average of 30,000 vehicles a day.

No new information on traffic flow is available yet, since the road only completely reopened a few months ago, but LeBlanc believes traffic is flowing much better on Paul than it used to.

"You don't see any lineups, there's no queue lineups coming out of the traffic circle," he says. "People that come out of the traffic circle that want to access Paul Street ... before at Christmastime, you'd have people backing into the traffic circle. That's a thing of the past."

The city has been fine tuning traffic lights to make the best use of the revamped thoroughfare, and work on that continues.

LeBlanc says Dieppe is eyeing a few more major projects, but they are not necessarily in the city's immediate future.

There are plans to one day widen Champlain Street, which sees an average of 31,000 vehicles per day, into six lanes. That project would involve the city and province.

In addition, Dieppe has hopes of easing congestion on Dieppe Boulevard, which today sees an average of 24,300 vehicles per day, a 20 per cent increase over 2008 numbers.

"The numbers reflect what people experience," LeBlanc says, "the delays and all that, in that area. And that's probably our most congested area right now."

The city also wants to see better access to Highway 15, Veterans Highway, from the Dieppe and Harrisville boulevards area.

"We're working with DOT and the City of Moncton and the airport to try to come up with a design that's going to move traffic a lot easier on a 20-year horizon," he says.

Once planning is complete, the city will seek funding and develop a timeline for the project, but nothing concrete is planned at this time.

Meanwhile, a roundabout will be constructed this year, connecting Acadia, Regis, Evangeline and Thibodeau streets.

"Roundabouts ... are fairly new to the area, so that should be a challenge for us as far as construction-wise, but (also) just to get people to get the right habits to drive into and out of the roundabouts," the director of engineering and public works says.

In a city growing as quickly as Dieppe, LeBlanc says it can be difficult to keep up with the changes. However, he was happy to note that while Paul Street was a maze under construction this past summer, residents were accommodating, likely because they knew the end result would be positive.

"For us, it's a matter of coping with the changes," he says. "It's always changing because of the growth we're experiencing. It's hard to stay on top of it.

"We find ourselves reacting to things we hadn't planned for or didn't see coming. Most times we try and stay ahead of it and do the corrections as we can."

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, as a Wildcats seasons ticket holder, I feel compelled to offer some defence of the team and of the venue.....

Firstly, as other people have mentioned, there is nothing wrong with the product. In fact, the Wildcats are the most successful franchise in the QMJHL over the last five years, having gone to the Memorial Cup twice during that time. The team should not be punished for the failings of the venue.

My defence of the Coliseum is much more muted. The most I will say is that lower bowl seating is somewhat better than upper bowl seating and that the arena tends to be less stuffy when you don't have full houses like we did on the weekend

I think the main take away from the opinions expressed above is that the franchise should be even more successful when relocated to a new downtown arena. The Wildcats have the third best attendance in the Q at present at about 4,800 per game. In a new venue, I wonder if attendance would increase to between 5,500 and 6,000?

Yet another reason to build a new arena.

I agree totally with MonctonRad on this one I am also a season ticket holder for the Cats and I have been in a few arena's accros the Q league and I am somewhat proud of the product we have for the moment but we are in need of a new Venue downtown hopefully where the Highfield Square is and make it good for 10K plus hockey configuration and 12k concert with a lower bowl and full upper bowl with corporate boxes. the only advise i have to give to anyone going to the Coliseum is to take you seat in the lower bowl VS the balcony... But all we can hope is the city goes ahead this year with the groundbreaking of the site... BTW MonctonRad I am in Section 23 and what section are you in.. message me we could meet up for a beer down the road at the coliseum..

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 5:03 AM

Looks like ambitious plans!

20% increase in traffic on Dieppe blvd is pretty surprising. During the planning stages for this project, I remember reading that 4 lanes were contemplated but finally rejected for now. So I'm sure they planned for widening in the future, still, it seems like a tight squeeze for expansion in some areas between the high tension lines on one side and the metal lamp posts on the other.

Champlain could benefit from a similar revamp as Paul st. There are too many access points/driveways, cars driving onto and trying to exit by turning left slow down everyone. Widening with a centre median could be justifiable I think.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 1:22 PM

Biggest news for a while, and I'm pasting it before MonctonRad does!

--

Source: http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/article/1371723

Downtown office building in works
Moncton council discusses sale of land for $10M project
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

There are still a number of hurdles to clear, but plans are afoot for a $10-million, six-storey office complex that could one day serve as one of the gateways to downtown Moncton.

Developers want to build the office and retail complex at the northeast corner of Vaughan Harvey Boulevard and Assomption Boulevard, a development that would greet visitors travelling into Moncton from the Gunningsville Bridge.

The City of Moncton currently owns the land, which is bound on the west by Vaughan Harvey, on the south by Assomption, and on the north by CN's national rail line.

On the east is land owned by John MacIntyre MacLean, accessible from Albert Street.

Last night, Moncton council voted to start the legal process of disposing of the land. If at the end of the process, council votes to sell the land to the developers who have approached them, the proposal is that the city would receive $50,000 for the property.

Councillor Nancy Hoar, whose ward includes the land, said she thought it sounded like a fine development, but raised concerns on a few fronts.

She didn't like the way the sale and the price felt like a done deal, she was concerned that it meant filling in yet another piece of wetland, and she noted the council would have to rezone the land, which currently has a P-2 parkland designation.

However, Mayor George LeBlanc pointed out MacLean is one of the development partners, and because he already owns the adjacent land providing the only access to the site, it is highly unlikely anyone would be willing to pay the city more for land they can't get to.

Also, because the building planned would reap $200,000 to $250,000 every year in property taxes, he and other councillors argued getting $50,000 for what he called a piece of "swampland" sounded like a good deal.

As for the wetland issue, city staff advised the council the provincial Department of Environment had given approval to infilling the marsh without the usual conditions because it is very small and surrounded by roadways and the railroad land on all sides.

Last year, the City of Moncton created a much larger piece of wetland across the street from the parcel in question, which is where area waterfowl that had used the smaller wetland seemed to have re-established themselves.

That's not to suggest a net gain in wetland, however, since what the city created to the east of the Gunningsville Bridge was done to offset the wetland lost to the roadbeds of Assomption and Vaughan Harvey.

Whoever ultimately buys and builds on the land would have to divert a major trunk sewer line on the property at their cost, and the developers who approached the city have said they are willing to do the estimated $400,000 worth of work.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 1:22 PM

Duplicate post...

Last edited by gehrhardt; Jan 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 1:36 PM

Meanwhile, in Dieppe:

Source: http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/article/1371679

Apartment building slated
Published Tuesday January 18th, 2011

Dieppe project expected to get underway in May
Times & Transcript Staff

Developers are tentatively planning a new apartment building on Gauvin Road in Dieppe, near Pascal Street.

While no building permit has been applied for yet, a company is setting the stage for a six-storey building at that location, with eight units per storey, for a total of 48 apartments. The property is already zoned R3, which permits these types of buildings, so there is no need for the proponents to go through a rezoning process. The project is tentatively slated to get underway in May.

--

Is there even already a 6-storey building in Dieppe?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 2:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Dammit, beat me to it!

I am pleased to see this proposed development. That's a high profile corner that I assumed would not remain vacant for long.

Hopefully within the next 10-12 years, there will be a string of high quality developments along the entire north side of Assomption. We already have this proposal, the new law courts and a rumoured condo development across the street from the law courts. Who knows what else is brewing.......

Assomption Blvd. should be quite attractive to developers. It is a major crosstown route and an entry to the downtown core. It's also situated on the riverfront with the riverfront trail close at hand. This could be the start of many good things...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:38 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Let's hope this is the first of many... It's going to look pretty lonely all by itself at that corner.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:59 PM

Quote:

Developers are tentatively planning a new apartment building on Gauvin Road in Dieppe, near Pascal Street.

While no building permit has been applied for yet, a company is setting the stage for a six-storey building at that location, with eight units per storey, for a total of 48 apartments. The property is already zoned R3, which permits these types of buildings, so there is no need for the proponents to go through a rezoning process. The project is tentatively slated to get underway in May.

--

Is there even already a 6-storey building in Dieppe?
Does this mean it's going to have a steel frame? Is 4 stories the highest you can go on a wood frame structure?

Will the residents of this corner kick & scream and protest this project because of privacy issues?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Assomption Blvd. should be quite attractive to developers. It is a major crosstown route and an entry to the downtown core. It's also situated on the riverfront with the riverfront trail close at hand. This could be the start of many good things...

I really really hope Tim Horton stays away from this area.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 4:53 PM

Quote:

--

Source: http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/article/1371723

Moncton council discusses sale of land for $10M project
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

There are still a number of hurdles to clear, but plans are afoot for a $10-million, six-storey office complex that could one day serve as one of the gateways to downtown Moncton.

Developers want to build the office and retail complex at the northeast corner of Vaughan Harvey Boulevard and Assomption Boulevard, a development that would greet visitors travelling into Moncton from the Gunningsville Bridge.

The City of Moncton currently owns the land, which is bound on the west by Vaughan Harvey, on the south by Assomption, and on the north by CN's national rail line.

On the east is land owned by John MacIntyre MacLean, accessible from Albert Street.

Last night, Moncton council voted to start the legal process of disposing of the land. If at the end of the process, council votes to sell the land to the developers who have approached them, the proposal is that the city would receive $50,000 for the property.

Councillor Nancy Hoar, whose ward includes the land, said she thought it sounded like a fine development, but raised concerns on a few fronts.

She didn't like the way the sale and the price felt like a done deal, she was concerned that it meant filling in yet another piece of wetland, and she noted the council would have to rezone the land, which currently has a P-2 parkland designation.

However, Mayor George LeBlanc pointed out MacLean is one of the development partners, and because he already owns the adjacent land providing the only access to the site, it is highly unlikely anyone would be willing to pay the city more for land they can't get to.

Also, because the building planned would reap $200,000 to $250,000 every year in property taxes, he and other councillors argued getting $50,000 for what he called a piece of "swampland" sounded like a good deal.

As for the wetland issue, city staff advised the council the provincial Department of Environment had given approval to infilling the marsh without the usual conditions because it is very small and surrounded by roadways and the railroad land on all sides.

Last year, the City of Moncton created a much larger piece of wetland across the street from the parcel in question, which is where area waterfowl that had used the smaller wetland seemed to have re-established themselves.

That's not to suggest a net gain in wetland, however, since what the city created to the east of the Gunningsville Bridge was done to offset the wetland lost to the roadbeds of Assomption and Vaughan Harvey.

Whoever ultimately buys and builds on the land would have to divert a major trunk sewer line on the property at their cost, and the developers who approached the city have said they are willing to do the estimated $400,000 worth of work.
Crap!! We both posted it on the same MINUTE.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces