HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 6:42 AM

Yeah, that pic shows how massive that bridge really is.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 8:55 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Ironworkers Memorial Bridge is in the forground, new and old Port Mann beyond that:
Impressive shot. Between the bridges that's about 17 km as the crow flies. You can also see the lowered 1969 CN vertical lift bridge just before it enters the 3.5 km Thornton Tunnel under Vancouver & Burnaby.

Last edited by East Van; Mar 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:59 AM
See ya down under, mates

I bought on the north shore partially because I love the drive/view over this bridge

timedropsmedia.com

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 1:36 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
The Huge John Flemming Bridge in Hartland New Brunswick. Also the home of the worlds longest covered bridge, which is on the left side of the picture. I've always loved this bridge and wish more people knew about it.

picture from Panoramio. I did not take this picture.

A better picture of the covered bridge in Hartland:

picture from www.wondermondo.com I did not take this picture.

The hartland covered bridge before it was covered:

Picture from historicplaces.ca I didn't take this picture.
Repost because I dont think anyone got to see it, haha.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
There's ship navigation on the MacKenzie river? I had no idea...
Not shipping persay more like barge traffic. Most of the western Arctic comunitees not connected to roads are supplied by barge or ship from Hay River and the NTCL terminal.
Eastern Arctic is done out of QC and Montreal.
http://www.ntcl.com/operations/terminal-information/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 5:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
Great shot, I actually prefer the old steel bridge to it's newer suspension twin .
Easily Canada's coolest bridge. (Pont Quebec, not Pont Pierre LaPorte...incidentally, Paul Rose died this week past).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 6:24 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
There's ship navigation on the MacKenzie river? I had no idea...
It's a short season to be sure, but the river is navigable for its entire length. As Airboy mentions, traffic is mostly barges loaded at the railhead in Hay River, and towed across Great Slave Lake to Yellowknife, and downriver to communities on and near the river.

I would imagine there is traffic from the Arctic Ocean upriver as well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:09 PM
ARTchitecture

It is the second longest river in North America, fourth in the Western Hamisphere. Also, it's in the top 25 most powerfull rivers (by outflow) on the planet. It would be interesting to see if the rivers' navigability will be more highly utilized as the Territory's resources are more heavily exploited.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 4:57 PM

This bridge will celebrate its 100th anniversary this year. Cap-Rouge residents have always called it Le Tracel for the following reason: during its construction, they would hear workers and foremen refer to it as a trestle bridge and overtime, trestle became Tracel.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/mai...9_section_POS1

http://shcr.qc.ca/centenaire/

Tracel - Marina Cap-Rouge par davidivivid, sur Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:16 PM

These bridges are impressive! I remember my first school trip to Quebec City when I was younger, and all I remembered were these bridges! They were huge, and from the highway; they soared into the air out of nowhere! That impression of Quebec city didn't change till about last year when a good friend of mine showed me around the city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
This bridge will celebrate its 100th anniversary this year. Cap-Rouge residents have always called it Le Tracel for the following reason: during its construction, they would hear workers and foremen refer to it as a trestle bridge and overtime, trestle became Tracel.
It is a trestle bridge. For example there are many trestle bridges in BC.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:50 AM
Urban Fanactic

The International Bridge in Sault Ste. Marie from South St. Mary's Island.

The International Bridge, CN Rail Bridge, and the Swing Bridge from the Sault Canal.

Photo's by me.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 2:03 PM

Editorial: New Champlain Bridge should be beautiful, not only functional

Source: Montreal Gazette

It is not often that Montreal gets a chance to endow itself with an architectural treasure that will uplift our city in the eyes of the world.

Such an opportunity is now at hand with planning underway for the construction of a new bridge across the St. Lawrence River to replace a Champlain Bridge that has fallen into irreparable decrepitude.

The idea that the new bridge should not be just a bridge, but a beautiful bridge, was floated shortly after the project got the go-ahead: a structure that would be a distinguishing advertisement for Montreal the world over in the way the Opera House says Sydney, the Guggenheim Museum says Bilbao and the Eiffel Tower says Paris.

Bridges in particular lend themselves to such stature, prime examples being the Brooklyn Bridge in New York, the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and the Tower Bridge in London.

The notion of making something spectacular of the new Champlain has garnered impressive local backing. Early on board were local real-estate mogul Stephen Leopold and lawyer/diplomat Yves Fortier. The Board of Trade is onside with the idea, as is Heritage Montreal, not to mention city council, which passed a motion in January urging project-overseer Transport Canada to launch an international architectural competition for the new bridge’s design.

This week came the first indication, albeit tentative, that the federal government is in accord with the idea. Transport Minister Denis Lebel, in town for consultations on the project, ventured to say that the new bridge should indeed have “architectural quality,” though he declined to go so far as to commit himself to the popular local option of an international design competition. Nevertheless, he did not write it off either, saying it is one option along with a murkier process he called a “competitive dialogue” whereby bidders for the job propose designs, and include technical design criteria.

While Lebel’s remarks were not quite what the new Champlain’s local champions are seeking, it is nevertheless an encouraging development from the federal government, which is responsible for the span linking Montreal and the South Shore. As Elaine Ayotte, the city executive committee member responsible for culture and heritage, put it, the minister’s statement should be taken as a measure of the glass being half full, not half empty, since it is at least an acknowledgment from Ottawa that the bridge should be more than simply a functional roadway across the river.

Lebel did have a valid point when he fretted that the government is wary of delays and extra expense in committing to an international design competition. It is insisting on keeping the project within a $3-billion to $5-billion budget and maintaining the proposed 2021 completion date. Delays threaten to increase not only the cost of the new bridge, but also to add to the cost of maintaining the current span.

Going for an architectural gem is something of a gamble. It can turn out for the best or the worst, as Montrealers should know. For the best, we have I.M. Pei’s Place Ville Marie, a gem of world-class design and first-rate materials, a building that stands as an iconic Montreal landmark half a century on. For worst we have the Roger Taillibert’s Olympic Stadium, an audacious design that has proven to be wretchedly dysfunctional and stands as a signature embarrassment.

Still, that experience should not deter high ambitions for the new bridge; the chance to do something great is there and should be seized. It’s imperative that beautiful form and reliable function go hand in hand in such an undertaking.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 2:50 AM
ARTchitecture

A tour of Calgary's incredible Peace Bridge...

20130520_163357 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

20130520_163512 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

20130520_163500 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

My beautiful man...

20130520_163004 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

20130520_163633 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

20130520_162839 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

...and me of course...

20130520_162904 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

...and last but not least, a profile-shot of the bridge itself...

20130520_162732 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Source: ME!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
I would imagine there is traffic from the Arctic Ocean upriver as well.
There could be A LOT if offshore drilling proceeds in the Beaufort Sea.
The extension of the Dempster highway to Tuktoyaktuk may offset that, but there will always be a demand for sealift.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:34 PM

Nothing special but here's how Nova Scotia builds most of its highway bridges now (can't paste the photo due to its large size);

http://gov.ns.ca/news/Photos/2012/no...ice-Bridge.jpg

That bridge is replacing an existing one-lane bridge shown here;

http://novascotia.ca/tran/highways/isb.asp

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 4:43 AM

A boring but busy bridge, and decently long, somewhere between 2 and 3 km, some pics I took today of the Oak Street Bridge between Vancouver and Richmond.

My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 7:41 PM
ARTchitecture

The beautiful, new, St. Patricks dual-span suspension pedestrian bridge for Calgary's St. Patrick's Island, connecting the north and south shores, and the island itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
St Patrick's Island pedestrian bridge update

More updates for St Patrick's ped bridge as well as Aura, Alura, Fuse, First, Urban block, Drake, City Centre, NMC, Centennial III, Upside Engineering and Guardian Here

St Patrick's Island Pedestrian Bridge by Construction-mania, on Flickr

St Patrick's Island Pedestrian Bridge by Construction-mania, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 6:44 PM
Urban Fanactic

The International Bridge in Sault Ste. Marie

Lit up for Canada Day and Independence Day.

All pictures by me.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 7:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Did you read about the Migs Transcontinental Bridge planned between Saskatchewan and our newest colony, Turks & Caicos? See also: "deletion of Quebec"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada