HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 5:16 AM

LOS ANGELES | 6th & Alameda | 2 X 58 FLOORS

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
The development scene in the Arts District has been red hot for years, but now it is reaching an unprecedented level: Irvine-based developer Suncal has released details for its roughly $2 billion mega-project Sixth & Alameda. If it comes to fruition, it would be the largest, most diverse and most ambitious development ever to hit the community.

Earlier this year, SunCal tapped Pritzker Prize-winning Swiss architecture firm Herzog & de Meuron to create the vision for the 15-acre site on the southeast corner of Sixth and Alameda streets.

The existing patchwork of produce warehouses and other buildings would be demolished to make way for a series of roughly seven-story concrete-and-steel buildings, arranged in long north-south rows. Two 58-floor towers would rise along Alameda Street.

“Unlike many of our peers, who are essentially proposing suburban residential building designs for the Arts District, we are very explicitly trying to understand the genetics of the Arts District and give it something for the permanent future,” said Dan Rosenfeld, a land-use consultant for SunCal and a longtime Downtown real estate player. “We’re working in a vocabulary of modern architecture, and we did not want faux versions of bow-truss ceilings and distressed brick.”

The size and scale of the project is staggering. It would have 1.4 million square feet of apartments and 674,000 square feet of condominiums (comprising 1,305 apartments and 431 condos).

There would also be 265,000 square feet each for a hotel and offices, 64,000 square feet of retail, 18,000 square feet for a school, and another 18,000 square feet for “cultural” uses (early ideas include a gallery or museum).
============================
http://www.6amartsdistrict.com/news-...velopment-yet/

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 10:48 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Love it! About time developers take a risk on the neighbourhood and build that skyline eastward!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 4:15 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

This was the biggest pleasant surprise of 2016. I definitely didn't expect an Irvine-based developer to unveil a project of this scale and caliber. It's a complete game-changer for a nabe already on fire.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:28 PM

Ahhh L.A... the city of gas stations, ugly one floor concrete buildings, endless parking lots of roads. Honestly, the city needs to downsize about 60% and rise vertically, for it to be livable.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick852 View Post
Ahhh L.A... the city of gas stations, ugly one floor concrete buildings, endless parking lots of roads. Honestly, the city needs to downsize about 60% and rise vertically, for it to be livable.
What does this has to do with the project? You obviously don't know about this immediate area (Arts District), and how it's one of the most walkable part of Southern California.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick852 View Post

Let me guess. You're from Houston/Texas/Miami/Atlanta.

I just took Sunset blvd from Downtown to the Sunset Strip. . It's pretty urban the entire way.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
What does this has to do with the project? You obviously don't know about this immediate area (Arts District), and how it's one of the most walkable part of Southern California.
I bet he's never even been here.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 9:31 AM

I looked at the street view of what Google maps says is the Arts District and it's not that walkable. Like there are hardly any sidewalks, lots of broken up front walls to the streets. It doesn't have a particularly inviting feel to it. Honestly. I could think of better artsy areas in smaller cities that are more interesting on the street level than this arts district.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:36 AM
Ascension

^ So clicking your mouse on Google Maps has cemented your opinion on the Art District being unwalkabe? You have *clearly* never been to the Arts District. Especially considering that it one of the more hotter neighborhoods in DTLA and has been for the better part of a decade.

The Arts District and Little Tokyo are continuing to merge and that'll benefit everyone. Not to mention the Regional Connector and the idea of adding another Metro station in the Arts District.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
I looked at the street view of what Google maps says is the Arts District and it's not that walkable. Like there are hardly any sidewalks, lots of broken up front walls to the streets. It doesn't have a particularly inviting feel to it. Honestly. I could think of better artsy areas in smaller cities that are more interesting on the street level than this arts district.
Here's the thing.

The Arts District is filled with old industrial warehouses converted into clean and hip interior spaces, so Google Streets is not going to give any sense of anything inside those buildings.

The Arts Districts is home to some of the most famous restaurants and cafes in the United States. Third wave coffee shops are found in every block (Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Blacktop, Bulletproof Coffee). Urth Caffe (over 4000 reviews on Yelp), Wurstkuche (over 7000 reviews on Yelp), Pie Hole (over 2400 reviews on Yelp), Bestia (over 3000 reviews on Yelp), and Church & State (over 1000 reviews on Yelp) are examples of why the Arts Districts is getting recognition as a hot spot in California. Many restaurants open til midnight, and many high-end bars and brewery draw massive crowds every night.

There's reasons why so many developers chose Arts District. When the Barker Block released 68 new condos, there were 2,800 that were interested in it. The area is also highly secured. Theres excess demand in the area.

A foreigner passing by the Arts District may see it as an area of abandoned buildings. Southern Californians treasure the Arts District as an island of hidden gems tucked inside cool industrial buildings; fashion bloggers and celebrities frequent the area for shoots. And if you personally visit the place, you'll get a sense of its character. To disagree with you, me having been to many arts districts and hip industrial areas of other cities, the Arts District is on top in terms of things-to-do and character. I can spend a day there at a cafe, then to art galleries and museums, walk along the river, have fun at an arcade, go bar-hopping, and then go to a music venue all walking-distance. Perhaps this place you criticize may actually be your favorite if you step foot in the area.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 3:52 PM

Its really cool. I love it.

I dont see another arts district outside of nyc even being comparable.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 4:37 PM

Keep in mind I'm not trying to argue or anything like that, just a thoughtful discussion. I may well be wrong. But I looked at spots all the way from the fashion district to little Tokyo and there were a few interesting spots, but walking or driving through it, I don't think one would see it as a artsy up and coming area. What I'm really trying to say is I don't see much curb appeal to this neighborhood. Maybe it's because I'm used to more conventional urban neighborhood designs of St Louis or Chicago. But if I'm ever in LA, I'll glady check the area out.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 4:52 PM
Ascension

^ That's kind of the appeal of the Arts District. It's not supposed to be a bright and shiny district. But there is PLENTY of life and people and things to do. Just because it isn't pretty shouldn't negate your opinion of it. Plus, there's loads of places to live.

Barker Block

https://www.mimoa.eu/images/20834_l.jpg

One Santa Fe

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho....04_20PM.0.png

Biscut Company Lofts (the Beckhams lived here for a while)

http://barrygray.com/wp-content/uplo...13%20-%207.jpg

http://1855industrial.com/wp-content...1-1024x683.jpg

Not to mention newer buildings like the Alexan, Savoy, The Artisan, and the Garey (among others).

The Arts District has been a hot neighborhood for a long while. I don't see that ending anytime soon. And Urth Cafe is yummy stuff. As is Novel Cafe. Well it was when it was there. Now it's on the other side of the planet in Westwood. But I digress.

Not to mention the murals.

http://cashmereagency.com/content/up...1092637997.jpg

http://laarttours.com/wp-content/upl...m-924x1024.jpg

https://www.kcet.org/sites/kl/files/...x368-14997.jpg

http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/si...s-district.jpg

https://mcfcrandall.files.wordpress....blue_whole.jpg

http://christopherkhoitran.com/wp-co...rict-mural.jpg

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 7:26 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Brandon, great collection of images. Sheds light on the area!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:51 PM

Those individual buildings and the murals are all great, but the neighborhood just doesn't give me a Bohemian feel. Maybe there's more to it if I was there in person lol

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:54 PM

Also congrats on the development, I wouldn't mind seeing more towers come to this area.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 9:02 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
Also congrats on the development, I wouldn't mind seeing more towers come to this area.
I'm sure...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 9:04 PM
Ascension

A Bohemian feel?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 9:20 PM

Guys, I may have barked up the wrong tree lol I'm just so used to neighborhoods like Shaw, The Grove, Dogtown, Delmar Loop, Soulard, and Lafayette Square in St Louis which give me an artsy, like Bohemian, "hipster" feel to them every time I visit, and those neighborhoods are so different from this one. My bad guys lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals