HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 2:13 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
Rendering.... Rendition... It's called a typo.

So I'm imagining this picture? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WTC_5.jpg Because this boring box is what I was referring to. Have the plans changed and has this been scrapped? If so, great.

And I didn't mean the existence of 5 as a counterweight to the other buildings on the site was an afterthought. I was obviously referring to the design, which I don't think much of in comparison to the other buildings on the site.
It was canceled. It was going to be built for JPMorgan Chase, but after they bought out Bear Stearns back in 2008 they decided to move into the Bear Stearns HQ at 383 Madison Avenue...so if they do eventually build a 5 WTC it won't look like that.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 5:34 PM
World Machine

A move to this space would make a perfect sense for Citi as long as the numbers work. I think it would be neat if a financial titan such as Citi migrated back to Lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 11:42 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
This could be huge news! The proximity to Wall Street at 2WTC could be good for Citi too. There would be a lot of benefits to being at the new site, including transportation. Hopefully they say yes! Come on, Citigroup Tower!
Proximity to Wall St doesn't mean anything at all anymore.

I'm hoping for 2WTC as well. With the two transit hubs being finished by then it would be really nice connection for their employees in NY, BK, Queens and the city.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 11:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Hudson Yards do make some sense to Citi because the 7 train connects them with their building in LIC.

Decisions, decisions...
The problem with the Hudson Yards is that they're looking for 2 msf or so. Manhattan West isn't on the table, and there are only a couple of other sites that could accommodate towers of that size. One is currently a McDonald's, and the other will be built in Related's second phase of development over the railyards. I don't know that either of those sites could be ready by 2017. If they want to consolidate in multiple buildings there, that's different. (There is Sherwood's site, but that's even further down the line).

Quote:
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/131009952

Facing an upcoming lease expiration at its Park Avenue global headquarters, Citigroup Inc. is close to making a major decision on what it will do with the millions of square feet of office space it occupies across the metropolitan region and where it will locate the seat of its global banking operations.

The bank will choose between the World Trade Center site, an existing twin-building complex it occupies on Greenwich Street in TriBeCa, and the Hudson Yards on the far West Side. A deal would likely include a relocation from 399 Park Ave., where it has had its global headquarters for more than 30 years. That lease, for hundreds of thousands of square feet, is set to expire in 2017.

"We have been looking at ways over the last several years to make more efficient use of our office space in New York, including consolidating locations," a Citi spokeswoman said. "With several leases expiring in the near future, we also have been looking at new space that is coming on the market."

At the World Trade Center site, Citi would anchor—and potentially fully occupy—a more than two-million square-foot office tower known as 2 World Trade Center
I remain cautiously optimistic. But if Citi doesn't move here, someone else will eventually.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 1:01 AM

Consolidation would send them to 2 WTC. I see Citi there. :-)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
One is currently a McDonald's
They're tearing down that McDonald's? It's one of the only McDonald's (If not the only) in Manhattan with a full parking lot.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
They're tearing down that McDonald's? It's one of the only McDonald's (If not the only) in Manhattan with a full parking lot.
If that's your desire, you shouldn't be in Manhattan.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:07 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2013/10/08/brooks-...ulinary-debut/

Steve Cuozzo
October 8, 2013

Quote:
.....we hear Hudson Yards is out of the running — at least for the moment — in Citigroup’s search for a new headquarters.

The choices are said to have been thinned to the bank’s existing space on Greenwich Street and to a new building at 2 World Trade Center.

“But don’t count the Yards out,” an insider said. “Citigroup is far from making up its mind, and it’s looking at other sites as well.”

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:13 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Excellent news.

I just hope they know that having an iconic tower practically to themselves is much better then those two plain buildings they currently have.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:25 PM

I'm sure some of this feeling comes from be being an optimistic New Yorker about this tower getting built sooner rather than later, but I genuinely have a hard time believing Citi would move their HQ from Park Avenue, the premier commercial corridor in NY, to those Greenwich St buildings. The transit options are really not great down there, and while the area is getting much more expensive and upscale, there still isn't much down there. And if they were to move into 2 WTC, I'd imagine they'd sell the Greenwich St buildings which would net them a decent sum of cash.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:34 PM
New Yorker for life

If Citi does take the tower, I wonder if we'll get a logo at the base...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:34 PM
BANNED

“But don’t count the Yards out,” an insider said. “Citigroup is far from making up its mind, and it’s looking at other sites as well.”

Nice negotiation tactics- just keeping Silverstein on his toes..

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:42 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

Nice negotiation tactics- just keeping Silverstein on his toes..
2WTC would be the most expensive lease. Citi surely wants its office space a bit cheaper ... who knows maybe Silverstein is willing to give them a special deal.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Seriously dude? You live in the food Mecca of the world and you're mourning a McDonald's? Don't tell me you order your pizza from Dominoes too.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
Seriously dude? You live in the food Mecca of the world and you're mourning a McDonald's? Don't tell me you order your pizza from Dominoes too.
Im not gonna lie...that mcdonalds is awesome.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 3:21 PM

Come on, 2Wtc, 2Wtc, 2Wtc!!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:44 AM

I am rooting for 2 WTC, and would think that Citi, now that they have become a big financial player, would want to be with the big boys in the financial district.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 8:45 PM

Subscribed

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 5:18 PM

this would be great for Citi, and this is my favorite design of the new WTC towers. Interestingly enough, I work on the 45th floor of 601 Lexington and still refer to it as the Citigroup building, it's just habit.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:42 PM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/1...-trade-center/

The Future Sees 11.7 Million Square Feet Of Space at World Trade Center

By Richard Persichetti 10/15/13

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction