HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Regarding Whole Foods, I refuse to patronize a business who directed tons of its profits to opposing a public health care system in the US -which is what WF did. I hope all Ottawans will do the same and boycott it until it closes down. Additionally, I've been to the Whole Foods in Toronto and felt the prices were way too high relative to the quality.
I used to shop regularly at the Whole Foods in Toronto because I found the price of their meats to be really good. I also used to eat regularly at their cafe because the food and beverages were really good and reasonably priced in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
How is it opposing public health?
Whole Foods CEO said re: Obama's health care reform that "the last thing our country needs is a massive new health-care entitlement that will create hundreds of billions of dollars of new unfunded deficits and move us much closer to a government takeover of our health-care system."

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:45 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
The post near the top of this page talks about the potential of an Apple Store in the Bayshore Mall (or as the blog calls it... 'The Bayshore') anyways... The bottom level Baby Gap has closed and has moved into a combined Gap upstairs and I have heard through rumours with people I know at Bayshore that the old Baby Gap is going to become an Apple Store and a Coach. Currently it's all boarded off for renovations with no signs on the outside of the partitions (as of about a week ago - last time I was there). Hopefully the rumours are true as I think Ottawa can easily support more Apple Stores and another Coach location besides the one at Rideau.
Is that space big enough for both stores? The Apple Store at the Rideau Centre alone seems bigger than the former Gap Kids store.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
Is that space big enough for both stores? The Apple Store at the Rideau Centre alone seems bigger than the former Gap Kids store.
I was at the mall yesterday and the Sports Experts 'Annex' store that was beside Baby/Kids Gap is also gone now and all the space from the parking lot entrance wrapping around the wall to across from Guest Services is partitioned off with a black wall. I would guess that an Apple Store could easily fit in this space - it seemed quite large to me. And judging by how small the Coach store is at Rideau, it may be able to squeeze in beside it. If not... there are about 3 other stores throughout the mall that have closed or moved leave open space (Danier, Jacob, and one other I can't remember). I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 8:23 PM

Les Promenades gets new owners

Les Promenades de l'Outaouais has new owners. I wonder if they're going to invest in the mall.

Quote:
Les Promenades gets new owners
Published on March 9, 2012

OBJ Staff

Gatineau's largest shopping mall, Les Promenades de L'Outaouais, has changed hands to a dual ownership by Oxford Properties Group and investment firm Montez Corp.

The 835,000-square-foot facility at 1100 Maloney Ouest has about 185 stores, mainly in high-end fashion. Anchor tenants include The Bay and Costco, and there is also an office for the Canada Revenue Agency, according to Les Promenade's website.

Oxford Properties, the real estate arm of OMERS Worldwide group of companies, will also manage the property.

This is the second alliance between Oxford Properties and Montez. In 2011, the companies acquired the Hillcrest Mall, near Toronto, for an undisclosed sum.

"The acquisition of Les Promenades de L'Outaouais is in line with Oxford's Canadian strategy to grow its portfolio of owned and managed properties and to actively manage them to create long term value," Oxford Properties stated.

A representative from Oxford Properties could not immediately be reached for comment concerning the acquisition price or other details.

The firm actively manages 8.5 million square feet of properties in Canada. It helmed the development of Ottawa's Constitution Square, and on its website lists leasing opportunities for retail and commercial spaces in the three-tower complex.

The previous owner of Les Promenades, Montreal-based Canpro Investments Ltd., states on its website that the mall was built in 1978 and renovated in 2007.
http://www.obj.ca/Real%20Estate/Non-...s-new-owners/1

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Whole Foods CEO said re: Obama's health care reform that "the last thing our country needs is a massive new health-care entitlement that will create hundreds of billions of dollars of new unfunded deficits and move us much closer to a government takeover of our health-care system."
Not sure how the US political opinion of the CEO is relevant. I doubt the Westons or Sobeys are exactly progressive. While not cheap the quality of their meat and produce, and especially prepared food is unsurpassed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Les Promenades de l'Outaouais has new owners. I wonder if they're going to invest in the mall.
Most of the other malls they own are fairly high-end, so this is potentially good news for Les Promenades.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 9:58 PM
Awesome!

Just heard that Zellers on St-Joseph Blvd will close in January 2013, making it another empty shell on the "main" street of Hull. Reason being is its lease will be expired.

Can we have new owners for this mall? The company managing this mall is doing a terrible job for sure.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:50 AM

Question Promenades de Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Just heard that Zellers on St-Joseph Blvd will close in January 2013, making it another empty shell on the "main" street of Hull. Reason being is its lease will be expired.

Can we have new owners for this mall? The company managing this mall is doing a terrible job for sure.
Isn't that the Promenades de Gatineau? Target is supposed to open their first store in the area at Promenades de Gatineau, way before Ottawa.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Gatinea...798/story.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:22 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHOOLE View Post
Isn't that the Promenades de Gatineau? Target is supposed to open their first store in the area at Promenades de Gatineau, way before Ottawa.

Initially, HBC said that the Zellers in Hull would remain open as well as the one in Aylmer but now have decided to change their mind regarding the Hull store. The store looks to be much busier then the one in Aylmer.

So now, starting next year only one Zellers will be left in Gatineau in top of converting the one at the Galeries de Gatineau to a Target.

Hopefully, some tenants will fill up the void of the Zellers at Place Cartier, because aside from a couple of grocery stores and the Galeries de Hull, virtually everything in the Hull sector in big retail and departments stores are situated in Le Plateau.

The city of Gatineau have done a very poor job regarding St-Joseph Blvd so far. Most of the empty shells on the northern part of the boulevard are still empty shells.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHOOLE View Post

It's the Galeries de Hull. The Galeries de Gatineau is on Maloney. That's the one that's turning into a Target.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:30 PM

Yesterday I saw some guys putting up a big sign by Morguard on the Zellers on Sparks Street advertising retail space for lease. I wonder if it's for the Zellers because Target won't be using the space or if it's for another property.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Hopefully, some tenants will fill up the void of the Zellers at Place Cartier, because aside from a couple of grocery stores and the Galeries de Hull, virtually everything in the Hull sector in big retail and departments stores are situated in Le Plateau.
True, although Les Galeries de Hull is still a pretty healthy mall in spite of its small size. Village Place Cartier is depressing.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Yesterday I saw some guys putting up a big sign by Morguard on the Zellers on Sparks Street advertising retail space for lease. I wonder if it's for the Zellers because Target won't be using the space or if it's for another property.
According to an Openfile Ottawa report it appears that Target won't be using the Sparks Street space, which is too bad: http://ottawa.openfile.ca/blog/curat...ket-it-appears

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
According to an Openfile Ottawa report it appears that Target won't be using the Sparks Street space, which is too bad: http://ottawa.openfile.ca/blog/curat...ket-it-appears
Too bad, but it probably wasn't their style to begin with to be honest...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
Perfect opportunity for Simons or H&M to swoop in and take this space?! Seems right down their alley and would bring some more traffic to this area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Perfect opportunity for Simons or H&M to swoop in and take this space?! Seems right down their alley and would bring some more traffic to this area.
It would be good for Sparks but I doubt it is trafficked enough during all hours for either of them. They would probably prefer the Rideau area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:50 AM

I'm trying to think what other stores that might close...Billings Bridge seems unlikely to convert IMO given the long-term plans for the area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 11:50 AM

The Sparks Zellers is going to be tricky.

46000 is a funny size.

Most department type stores would not touch that size...too small.

On the other hand it is big for many types of stores.

==================================

In other news according to Bruce Firestone's twitter feed:

http://www.tangeroutlet.com bought 90 acres w/ Riocan northwest of #Scotiabank Place for $9m, $100k/acre. Big US-style outlet mall coming soon.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It would be good for Sparks but I doubt it is trafficked enough during all hours for either of them. They would probably prefer the Rideau area.
Wouldn't those two stores create their own traffic?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy