HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Cesar, do you do requests?

Would love to see some updates in the Arts District / Little Tokyo
Havent been able to swing by in months

Sorry to just say yes until now.

I had not been able to go either to both areas and look more closely lately, I was surprised on how much it's also changed and the good vibe I saw.

Also here's some of what you requested me.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by cesar90; May 25, 2016 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:27 AM

Time for Related to take a hike. There's nothing exciting about their proposal so why should they receive any subsidies?

Maybe they can offer that parcel to George Lucas for his billion dollar vanity museum.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:29 AM

The way I view this Related grand avenue project is how I view the NFL. LA was adamant in the 1990's that we weren't putting up any public money to build a stadium... They left and 20+ years later, they return with a completely privately funded, best in class, most expensive and tech advanced stadium in the WORLD.

Also, we can view it as the metropolis project. Earlier proposals asked for public $$. Instead, We waited 20+ years and are now getting the biggest best version ever designed for that lot. Although they did ask for hotel tax aid, they significantly up sized the project and benefits

NO PUBLIC MONEY TO RELATED! What's interesting is this project was originally supposed to be a pioneer for downtown, rising at the same time as the South Park pioneering LA Live project. Somebody needs to tell Related that downtown has officially arrived (no thanks to them). this isn't 2006. This isn't pre LA Live. This project has been demoted; it's no longer a pioneer but now a "me too." That lot is prime land and will only increase with the completion of the new regional connector subway. Who knows, maybe by refusing Related's request, we may end up with a huge highly designed tower in a few years if we stand powerful. I would say give them the tax breaks if they scale the project back up to its original grandeur

Last edited by hughfb3; May 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:03 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
New design for Broadway@4th:
Nice find!

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:33 AM

I love it. Wish it had a blade sign but I'm not going to be picky. Get it built ASAP.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:54 AM

^^^ Yeah same here. I'm digging how they twisted it up a bit with the tower being modern and the base/podium is designed to fit the surroundings. Something different. I know that people want to keep all of the Broadway buildings as is, but I think this is a good solution to keeping the old and adding density on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Less than 5 minutes old..
L.A. weighs taxpayer aid for Grand Avenue project
........I was so upset that I literally had a 5 paragraph rant. Just deleted it all.... But I will say this. I hope Related goes bankrupt This is the same BULLSH** that NFL owners pull when they try to get new stadiums.

" Please sir, we don't have enough money to build what we want, can you give a few hundred million to help build it while we keep 100% of the profits that it will produce" NO!

I'm SOOOOO done with them. This project has been downsized, stalled and changed SO MANY TIMES. They need to just give up and give this project to Oceanwide or Greenland or Onni or somebody else. Hell give it to me ! i'll figure something out !

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:08 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Love the changes to the tower, but not the base for 4th and Broadway. 2 steps forward, one step back, but a net positive, in my opinion. Hanson usually does very good work, so I'll hold out hope on materials.

And I'm amused by the sudden change of heart for Related. While I agree with the sentiments, you have to keep in mind that Metropolis Phase 1, Wilshire Grand, the double Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotel towers all received hotel tax breaks for 25 years. And the city agreed to a hotel tax break for Related some time ago. Is it frustrating they're asking for more? Yes. It is fair to subsidize a wealthy company just to make a project profitable? No. But consider that a lot of the projects that have launched over the last 10 years have received tax breaks and that getting some hotel taxes on that property vs none will eventually add to the City's general fund (just not as much as it would have without them), it seems a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to lash out like this. Remember too that the City has full design decision over this project, and it was the City that requested the Frank Gehry design - and rejected a much more inexpensive RAMSA design that Related brought forward years ago - so to some degree Related has a point. Yes, we'll build it, but you're going to pay for the increase in design costs for Gehry's curves.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Last edited by colemonkee; May 25, 2016 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:43 PM

Red Cars versus Light Rail

Regarding the discussion about the Pacific Electric Red Cars, it's important to note that a lot of the lines ran on very different service levels.

Many of the longer ones, such as that giant line out to San Bernardino, were "interurbans." These are rather similar to what we think of today as "commuter rail," such as Metrolink.

Look at this record of the timetables at http://www.erha.org/pelines/pensb.htm

10 trains from SB to LA, and 10 trains back, per day.

Now look at today's Metrolink service from SB to LA. 19 trains in, 19 out. Plus, more trains that go SB to OC, Riverside to LA, etc.

Now, obviously it's not quite S-Bahn or RER level service (which is really what any commuter rail service should be pursuing) but you get really reliable frequencies on close in stations that are serviced by multiple lines. Glendale, Norwalk, Downtown Burbank, etc you get trains every 5-10 minutes at rush hour, and at a so-so pace throughout the rest of the day.

I think that, plus the 56 miles of Metro "Liner" (Orange and Silver lines) gives a more complete view of the rapid transit network.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:11 PM

I think Related has another problem to deal with- all that ground floor retail they planned for would likely sit empty for an eternity. They have completely missed out with Fig @ 7th remodel, The Bloc remodel, and the massive amount of space Oceanwide has coming on line. Couple that with the bankruptcy of big box retailers like Sports Chalet and there's going to be a huge glut of space available.

Nobody is going to go to Grand Ave to shop with the retail concentration in South Park, time to rethink the podium I'm afraid.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
I really hope the council votes against this. I'm sure there's plenty of other developers that would take advantage of this prime real estate. I mean, even Inglewood managed to get someone to privately invest a football stadium. Outside the location, what's so special about this proposal which requires that large sum of tax payer dollars?

And if they did vote for that financial aid, it'll set a terrible precedent.
This will give the NII and other NIMBY groups fodder for their false crusade against City Hall. Giving money to this huge firm that is flush with cash while asking even higher taxes on the rich to generate $1B to spend, i'm sure foolishly, on the homeless is exactly why such a backlash is occurring. Poor optics for the City Council. I rather have this parcel sit empty then risk these ballot initiatives passing.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
I think Related has another problem to deal with- all that ground floor retail they planned for would likely sit empty for an eternity. They have completely missed out with Fig @ 7th remodel, The Bloc remodel, and the massive amount of space Oceanwide has coming on line. Couple that with the bankruptcy of big box retailers like Sports Chalet and there's going to be a huge glut of space available.

Nobody is going to go to Grand Ave to shop with the retail concentration in South Park, time to rethink the podium I'm afraid.
Spot on.

The amount of vacant (much of it built since 2007) retail in DTLA is staggering. We likely have more retail space than there will ever be demand for - national retail demand is going down at the same time we're building tons of space for it.

At the very least Oceanwide Plaza will be the first big project to land major anchor tenants, which in turn will help finally lease out all the vacant space from 7th - Pico.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Love the changes to the tower, but not the base for 4th and Broadway. 2 steps forward, one step back, but a net positive, in my opinion. Hanson usually does very good work, so I'll hold out hope on materials.

And I'm amused by the sudden change of heart for Related. While I agree with the sentiments, you have to keep in mind that Metropolis Phase 1, Wilshire Grand, the double Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotel towers all received hotel tax breaks for 25 years. And the city agreed to a hotel tax break for Related some time ago. Is it frustrating they're asking for more? Yes. It is fair to subsidize a wealthy company just to make a project profitable? No. But consider that a lot of the projects that have launched over the last 10 years have received tax breaks and that getting some hotel taxes on that property vs none will eventually add to the City's general fund (just not as much as it would have without them), it seems a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to lash out like this. Remember too that the City has full design decision over this project, and it was the City that requested the Frank Gehry design - and rejected a much more inexpensive RAMSA design that Related brought forward years ago - so to some degree Related has a point. Yes, we'll build it, but you're going to pay for the increase in design costs for Gehry's curves.
I don't think there's been a "change of heart" with Related since there's been a negative opinion of them ever since they offered up multiple design changes, continuously pushing back the date ( wasn't it originally supposed to start in 2008-2009?) and other problems like burning through the initial funds and asking for more with nothing to show for it, I think everybody forgot about that little note, I haven't. So there hasn't been a "Change of Heart" since the heart has been pretty black after the first year or 2 and people on this forum and other outlets have been screaming for a replacement for a long time now.

You cant really compare a project of this size ( as someone said earlier is pretty much a smaller version of Metropolis phase 1) with other larger and more denser projects like Metropolis, Fig Central, the Luxe site, Circa and even the smaller ones. The other projects are justifiably getting a tax break. Related is just asking for another handout with no end product. How many millions have they blown through already and yet 10 years later we are still looking at 2 massive parking lots? If Onni breaks ground on their semi twins on flower and 12th ( a project that's nearly the same size) without any tax breaks and other things, Then there's no reason Related cant do the same.

I get that the city is ridiculous for wanting an over rated Gehry design but the longer Related waits, the more its going to cost and they know this. Instead of them saying they cant get the job done (just like the idiots who manufactured the skin for The Broad) they are holding on to prime real estate just to block other developers from moving in and doing what they couldn't do to begin with. I foresee this becoming a court case and Related somehow coming out on top, suing the city for millions which they threatened to do before didn't they?

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:40 PM

Can anyone take a picture of Broadway Palace's facade?? Street level, aerial, up close or from afar.. I just wanna see how good it looks I can't do it cause I'm from San Diego lol

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:44 PM

So I went back and dug up this old PR from Related to see what we were supposed to be getting with the GAP compared with the current plans.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-58549287.html
Quote:
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Construction work is underway on
The Grand, one of the largest vertically-integrated, mixed-use projects
under construction in the nation. The multi-phase 3.6 million square foot
development spanning three city blocks will cost an estimated $3 billion to
develop.
Phase I has been designed by world-renowned architect Frank Gehry
for the project developer, Related Companies. Demolition of the parking
garage at Grand Avenue and First Street will commence in February 2008
following remedial site work.
Transformation of the existing County Mall to
a new, 16-acre civic park will begin next fall.

"Beginning construction on the The Grand represents the culmination of
three years of intense planning, designing, and collaboration with a vast
group of community and civic participants. We are excited to be leading
this project and taking the next step in downtown Los Angeles' continued
revitalization," said Stephen M. Ross, Chairman and CEO of Related
Companies.

Situated on a full city block bordered by Grand Avenue, Olive, First
and Second Streets, Phase One of the large-scale urban site totals 1.3
million square feet. It will feature a vibrant mix of hotel and residential
towers, retail, restaurants, entertainment/nightlife, and public amenities
that will create a destination that is pedestrian-friendly and attractive
to residents and visitors.

The architectural centerpiece of The Grand will be an iconic 48 story
tower located at Second Street and Grand Avenue, including a 295-key
Mandarin Oriental Hotel crowned with 266 for-sale luxury residences.

Designed by Gehry, The Mandarin will be similar to the AAA, Five-Diamond
hotel in New York at Related's Time Warner Center, which sold out The
Residences at The Mandarin Oriental New York that were branded as "Five
Star Living(R)."

At First and Olive Streets, a 19-story Gehry-designed residential tower
will combine 126 market rate condominiums and 98 units of affordable
housing.
Adjacent to the city's leading cultural and performing arts venues
-- which include Gehry's impressive Walt Disney Concert Hall -- The Grand
will feature a nexus of exciting retail concepts and exceptional cafes,
restaurants and bars. The 250,000 square foot retail pavilion will showcase
a distinctive collection of boutiques and restaurants that will be
instrumental in regenerating downtown LA as a shopping destination.
A
carefully selected mix of cuisines and price points -- complemented by a
line up of renowned chefs- will provide the zenith of fine dining and
service to catapult the city's burgeoning cultural district to the top of
the downtown entertainment scene.

The new, 16-acre civic park will be anchored by landmark cultural and
civic buildings. It is envisioned as an urban gathering place for
Angelenos, as well as the City's venue for public events. The park will
feature terraces, lawns, gardens and plaza areas that will become the
centerpiece of The Grand's landscaped public spaces, which will be woven
into the neighborhood with both street-front and multi-level retail, plaza,
terraces and walkways offering expansive view corridors and pedestrian
connections to downtown's cultural center.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:57 PM

two of the Wilshire Grands three restauraunts have been revealed, including one korean BBQ tenant

http://therealdeal.com/la/2016/05/23...grand-sources/

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:58 PM

With Grand Ave. maybe moving forward (in a specious way, it sounds) what other unfinished business remains for DTLA? With Expo, it feels like we crossed a big entry off our to-do list, but what remains for the city and specifically DTLA?

To begin with, I'd like to see:
-The reopening of Angels Flight & Angels Knoll (or development for the latter)
-The opening of the Clark and Embassy hotels
-Pershing Square renovation
-I guess the streetcar?

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 8:21 PM

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 8:54 PM

Downtown's community plan is being updated, here is the map of what could be the new zoning code for Downtown, more info at DTLA2040, http://la.curbed.com/2016/5/25/11769...unity-plan-map

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
With Grand Ave. maybe moving forward (in a specious way, it sounds) what other unfinished business remains for DTLA? With Expo, it feels like we crossed a big entry off our to-do list, but what remains for the city and specifically DTLA?

To begin with, I'd like to see:
-The reopening of Angels Flight & Angels Knoll (or development for the latter)
-The opening of the Clark and Embassy hotels
-Pershing Square renovation
-I guess the streetcar?

Regional Connector is a big deal, and seems like it'll happen before the streetcar at this pace.

Last edited by NSMP; May 25, 2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Removed img

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations