HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:54 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
I'm also really loving some of these alternative designs, though I still think the cantilever was the best:

And yet we're going to end up with another banal SCB box. What a shame.
It really disgusts me that they broadcast this stuff on their website and give up this crapitecture in reality. Talk about slimy.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I was wondering about this. It's hard to tell from just one angle, but it appears that the floor plates are similar (if not exactly) to the original Waterview design. I rather like this revised design, while it's not as avant garde as the cantilevered design, it's glassy simplicity reminds me of the current Optima project, which I love. I think the real shame here is the lack of height. There was a photoshop job a few pages back that was spot on. I'm not one to say height for height's sake, but I'd hate to see the river visually plateau simply because the ROI sweet spot is between 600 and 700 ft.

On a separate note, anyone care to guess how many units this will bring to the area?
He hasn't given a final render or exact height, so anything could happen.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:04 AM
TL;DR

^ Some of those alternatives are boring and some are straight out of Dubai or Guangzhou, but the lower left one is gorgeous.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:22 AM

^^^ my thoughts exactly. It was the most "Chicago" of the bunch.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:58 AM

I prefer the lower right one, but lower left is my second choice. I prefer them all to the glass box from the Crains vid.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:28 AM

Well this helps shout and drive home the point that Chicago architects aren't producing London, Paris, Dubai, or Hongkong designs (the good ones, not the vast majority of junk ones) not for lack of imagination but merely for lack of developer outlay. Although I wonder how much developers are also worried that prospective tenants will shy away from avant garde designs.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:57 PM

^^^ I think that is exactly what developers fear. The market for "luxury real estate" in Chicago's central area is really only about 8-10 years old. It is not as tested as the market in NY. I don't know where in the market Related wants these to shake out, but if they were going for the same tier as the Waterview condos were slated for, then there is very little that has been built beyond Lagange and, at the level below that, SCB seems to have been tested quite truly as a key market player. Keep in mind, the only "radical" condo design that I think we saw was Aqua. Of course, that sold incredibly quickly and well, so it seems developers want more proof (in a market like this) to see that good design like Aqua was not a fluke.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:01 PM

Work Onsite today

From above, I can see 4 vans/trucks inside the gate and at least 6 people in yellow/orange vests working inside.

Activity is ramping up....

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:06 PM

^^^
Here's to hoping they come out with advertising materials soon with a design that we didn't see.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^
Here's to hoping they come out with advertising materials soon with a design that we didn't see.
Hopefully, there is no reason to think that was the final design.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:43 PM
BANNED

That POS we most recently saw could be a goodish design with some major tweeks and I expect it won't be final. Even 500 N LSD has gone through half a dozen revisions and it's just a normal box without the complex considerations of a site like this. Here's to hoping.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
That POS we most recently saw could be a goodish design with some major tweeks and I expect it won't be final. Even 500 N LSD has gone through half a dozen revisions and it's just a normal box without the complex considerations of a site like this. Here's to hoping.
True, but Chicago is one of the big 3 world skylines, surely Related can see that architectural standards are extremely high for Chicago skyscrapers.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
True, but Chicago is one of the big 3 world skylines, surely Related can see that architectural standards are extremely high for Chicago skyscrapers.
Developers don't give a shit about that and that is rapidly becoming un-true. Chicago's skyline is the most architecturally diverse in the world, but is being rapidly surpassed in scale by a dozen cities.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

this thread is about the proposed redevelopment of the old waterview hulk, it's not the thread to discuss the relative merits of chicago's skyline vs. those of other cities.

stay on topic.

further off topic posts will be deleted.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
On a separate note, anyone care to guess how many units this will bring to the area?
They mentioned 500 units in the Bloomberg video. Take it for what its worth.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:41 PM

^^^
That density would be quite decent, if it gets built as such...

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:17 AM

I don't think any of this info has been posted but it looks like Related Midwest's site has been updated. Also, if that newer design that we saw in the video is indeed the current design then it wasn't designed by SCB. According to the info on Related's site, the architect is Handel & Associates and there will be a total of 506 apartments consisting of studios, 1,2 and 3 bedrooms. completion date is 2014.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
I don't think any of this info has been posted but it looks like Related Midwest's site has been updated. Also, if that newer design that we saw in the video is indeed the current design then it wasn't designed by SCB. According to the info on Related's site, the architect is Handel & Associates and there will be a total of 506 apartments consisting of studios, 1,2 and 3 bedrooms. completion date is 2014.
Good news, It sounds like that definitely won't be the design, and they will start building soon.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 5:24 AM

^^^ I don't think we know if that will be the design yet. It is quite possible Handel And Associates did the project. However, looking through their site, they seem to be slightly better than SCB with some of their stuff far exceeding SCB. I always like the Ritz Carlton Residences in Philly (better than Chicago's anyways...) and I also quite like (from the pics, I've never seen these in person) the Journal Square proposal, The Dream Downtown Hotel, The Trump Soho Hotel, The Alto El Gulf Proposal, and THe Museum of Arts and Design in NY. They haven't done anything in Chicago it seems, so it'll be nice to get some diverstiy if nothing else. And seeing their curtain wall econoboxes, I feel heartened that, if the glass is done well, this could turn out better than a lot of the less well done SCB stuff.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^ I don't think we know if that will be the design yet. It is quite possible Handel And Associates did the project. However, looking through their site, they seem to be slightly better than SCB with some of their stuff far exceeding SCB. I always like the Ritz Carlton Residences in Philly (better than Chicago's anyways...) and I also quite like (from the pics, I've never seen these in person) the Journal Square proposal, The Dream Downtown Hotel, The Trump Soho Hotel, The Alto El Gulf Proposal, and THe Museum of Arts and Design in NY. They haven't done anything in Chicago it seems, so it'll be nice to get some diverstiy if nothing else. And seeing their curtain wall econoboxes, I feel heartened that, if the glass is done well, this could turn out better than a lot of the less well done SCB stuff.
Good news

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive