HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Apologies since this has probably been asked before, but what's the story with that house or building in the NE corner of the lot?
It’s historic. I don’t know why specifically, but it’s def immovable.

If you go back and look at some of the renderings you’ll see they’ve built completely around it. It looks honestly a little ridiculous, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 7:46 PM
Resident Moron

Hopefully that house becomes a super awesome restaurant or similar.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Apologies since this has probably been asked before, but what's the story with that house or building in the NE corner of the lot?
1858 JAMES T. BROWN HOUSE. An extension of the Bremond block. 2nd oldest home. Built 21 years after Austin (1839) is founded and 13 years after Texas gains statehood ( 1845) There are only 12ish buildings older in Austin. This area was on Nat historical register long before thought of a high rise in this area were considered. This was more typical of first low profile homes built. Think French Legation (1841)
I love that this tower has to make space for the history of the City it is profiting from. ! It will be a very interesting urban frame! it will also provide some relief
and grace for the larger historical homes that Looked south from the Bremond
block area.
I suggest you walk the area now and see the significance of the location of
the Bremond block now and how it views the south before the tower
comes out of the ground. Walk down from the old library to the north and you will get a good glimpse into the past with the future as a backdrop.
It is/was my favorite view into downtown.
I love the visual tension that happens when old and new collide.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 10:26 PM

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
It’s historic. I don’t know why specifically, but it’s def immovable.

If you go back and look at some of the renderings you’ll see they’ve built completely around it. It looks honestly a little ridiculous, IMO.
I read somewhere that Governor Sam Houston used to attend dinner parties there.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
1858 JAMES T. BROWN HOUSE. An extension of the Bremond block. 2nd oldest home. Built 21 years after Austin (1839) is founded and 13 years after Texas gains statehood ( 1845) There are only 12ish buildings older in Austin. This area was on Nat historical register long before thought of a high rise in this area were considered. This was more typical of first low profile homes built. Think French Legation (1841)
I love that this tower has to make space for the history of the City it is profiting from. ! It will be a very interesting urban frame! it will also provide some relief
and grace for the larger historical homes that Looked south from the Bremond
block area.
I suggest you walk the area now and see the significance of the location of
the Bremond block now and how it views the south before the tower
comes out of the ground. Walk down from the old library to the north and you will get a good glimpse into the past with the future as a backdrop.
It is/was my favorite view into downtown.
I love the visual tension that happens when old and new collide.
Ever since 6x was proposed, I have wondered what the original residents of the Bremond Block (particularly John Bremond) would think if they could walk out their front doors and behold the 850’ edifice across the street.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
Are they now digging in Blackland Clay or some type of Tar Sands? Does anyone know what the black earth is?
Pretty sure it's just rock, a few other recent projects have had a similar look when underground parking was being dug out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man435 View Post
You should have seen Block 185 before they started filling it up with garage.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 8:03 PM
Meh

I'm still most impressed with the underground Capitol extension they built in 1991/93. It's 4 levels down and 65 feet deep. I credit that project with being one of the ones that got me interested in the subject. Seeing the tower cranes over the huge construction site and the giant bulldozers they had in an even bigger hole was pretty awesome when I was a kid.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 5:16 AM

The FAA permit for the 925' tower crane #2 had been hung up in the approval process for months. But it was finally approved today.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...0642180&row=76

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The FAA permit for the 925' tower crane #2 had been hung up in the approval process for months. But it was finally approved today.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...0642180&row=76

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Ever since 6x was proposed, I have wondered what the original residents of the Bremond Block (particularly John Bremond) would think if they could walk out their front doors and behold the 850’ edifice across the street.
I think they might be horrified, especially since what they'd see looking straight ahead is the backside of a massive parking podium that blocks their light and their view.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I think they might be horrified, especially since what they'd see looking straight ahead is the backside of a massive parking podium that blocks their light and their view.
I bet some of them would be calling the developer to solicit an offer from them. Not everyone wants to preserve.....some people want that CASH.....man!

I know I would. Sure they are cool houses....er offices (I closed on my current house at one in '17-too cool), but if you could sell it at 10-20X.....some people would knock it down themselves. Who knows...just thinking out loud.

But that makes me think of another thing. I've run into a few properties over the years that were moved from other parts of Austin, one from Waco, no less. Why doesn't the HLC just say..."yeah, you have to preserve that house...but you don't have to keep it in that specific spot, if you don't want to" People have done this on their own for decades.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Why doesn't the HLC just say..."yeah, you have to preserve that house...but you don't have to keep it in that specific spot, if you don't want to" People have done this on their own for decades.
They have approved of moves in the past. The original Lustre Pearl for example. It wasn't torn down, it was moved to the east side.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 1:54 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Those Live Oaks are gonna have to adjust to the decrease in light especially during the winter months.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I bet some of them would be calling the developer to solicit an offer from them. Not everyone wants to preserve.....some people want that CASH.....man!

I know I would. Sure they are cool houses....er offices (I closed on my current house at one in '17-too cool), but if you could sell it at 10-20X.....some people would knock it down themselves. Who knows...just thinking out loud.

But that makes me think of another thing. I've run into a few properties over the years that were moved from other parts of Austin, one from Waco, no less. Why doesn't the HLC just say..."yeah, you have to preserve that house...but you don't have to keep it in that specific spot, if you don't want to" People have done this on their own for decades.

What a concept! Let's just move three giant historic homes (er, offices) from the most scenic block in the entire city of Austin and move them someplace less desirable so that owners can cash in, and we can throw up a few more ugly towers on that same pricey real estate.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:23 PM

Quote:
What a concept! Let's just move three giant historic homes (er, offices) from the most scenic block in the entire city of Austin and move them someplace less desirable so that owners can cash in, and we can throw up a few more ugly towers on that same pricey real estate.
At the end of the day, I’m a property rights proponent. It’s not my business. I don’t begrudge someone for cashing in their asset.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 11:52 PM

Better leave them to see the hind end of the exposed parking podium of this tower. Lets not try to be sensitive to the existing historical block. Just go cheap on the city,... the investors will love the short term gain.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
the investors will love the short term gain.
and what about the owner's "long gain"? Do they not deserve to get what their property is worth on the open market after possibly decades of ownership?

Old houses are not "historic" because they are old. There is another side to the "historic" argument. I argue that the final decision should lean towards the land owner, with limited exception.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin