HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 2:58 PM

Good eye on noticing the changes to the hotel. I think that the pronounced height differential makes it look much better, but I wish that the building had a slimmer profile from the east or west. Would prefer to see that step back stay as well.

I worry that the north elevation, which faces back towards downtown up 2nd Ave, will be blank and monolithic. It may be partially hidden from view once the north office tower is built.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 4:35 PM

I often think that the south facing(?) side of the grey Holiday Inn downtown provides an excellent opportunity to do some "projection type art/graphics" on the side of the building. Could probably put something on roof of YMCA to project on to that side of Holiday Inn.

It could be seasonal in nature or maybe something crazy unique like playing old black and white movies or something! It reminds me of a drive-in movie screen when i go by....haha.

Here is an example of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcCf3TIOtng

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 3:26 AM

Meewasin approval of 4 extra floors

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-y-condo-tower

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 4:18 PM

I too am bothered by the reversal of the step back from the river. It seems a failing in the massing of the entire project. Those additional hotel rooms could have been added on top and then it perhaps may have maintained a better proportion. We have all been focused on the increase in condo floors, but they also increased the size of the hotel by 15%!! That in itself is big news. The reversal of the step back (while I too prefer the difference in height) is an example of how larger plans often get subverted by actual conditions at time of construction - in this case, the demand for the best fireworks viewing locations in the province.

Calling this one building with a firewall likely isn't appropriate, given that none of the floors line up with each other (the condo tower floors are shorter). They really won't have anything in common except their location, and aesthetucally they are quite different from each other. Consider if each of these towers were being built on seperate locations! We would be jumping for joy over having two seperate towers going up at the same time.

Really, what we have here is two seperate buildings being built right next to each other, just like the old days when downtown buildings went up beside each other without a gap in between.

I wouldn't be surprised to see two cranes and the two towers going up each at their own pace with quite a difference between them in progress. When complete, parcel y will have 'four' buildings, not 'three'.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTownRob View Post
I too am bothered by the reversal of the step back from the river. It seems a failing in the massing of the entire project. Those additional hotel rooms could have been added on top and then it perhaps may have maintained a better proportion. We have all been focused on the increase in condo floors, but they also increased the size of the hotel by 15%!! That in itself is big news. The reversal of the step back (while I too prefer the difference in height) is an example of how larger plans often get subverted by actual conditions at time of construction - in this case, the demand for the best fireworks viewing locations in the province.

Calling this one building with a firewall likely isn't appropriate, given that none of the floors line up with each other (the condo tower floors are shorter). They really won't have anything in common except their location, and aesthetucally they are quite different from each other. Consider if each of these towers were being built on seperate locations! We would be jumping for joy over having two seperate towers going up at the same time.

Really, what we have here is two seperate buildings being built right next to each other, just like the old days when downtown buildings went up beside each other without a gap in between.

I wouldn't be surprised to see two cranes and the two towers going up each at their own pace with quite a difference between them in progress. When complete, parcel y will have 'four' buildings, not 'three'.

I cant see one crane doing this whole project by 2019.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Meewasin approval of 4 extra floors

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-y-condo-tower
Nice addition, demand in the market is a welcome sign...63m

EDIT:Thread title ammended.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Nice addition, demand in the market is a welcome sign...63m

EDIT:Thread title ammended.
Cyro - you might also want to change "proposed" to "u/c."

Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:11 PM

Four storeys added to Saskatoon’s River Landing condo development

By David Giles, Senior Web Producer, Global News

A highly sought after piece of real estate at Saskatoon’s River Landing is getting taller.

The Meewasin Valley Authority approved a proposal on Friday to add four more floors to No.1 River Landing.

The building is now designed to have 20 storeys and 131 condos.

Strong demand from buyers led to the request after the initial development of 105 units sold out four days after hitting the market in November 2016.

Suites in the building range in price from $250,000 to $1.2 million.

[........]

Read more:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3232229/fo...o-development/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Cyro - you might also want to change "proposed" to "u/c."

Thanks.
Still digging? Changed to Site Prep.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Still digging? Changed to Site Prep.
Fair enough. Thx!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:15 PM

With the addition of 4 storeys to the condo tower, is there going to be 4 levels for the parkade? Drove by this morning and the southwest corner looks to be even further than 3 levels.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
With the addition of 4 storeys to the condo tower, is there going to be 4 levels for the parkade? Drove by this morning and the southwest corner looks to be even further than 3 levels.
Yup, it's been 4 levels u/g since the beginning. At least according the plans I found online that were dated from June 2016.

http://meewasin.com/assets/upload/re...bsiteFinal.pdf

Googled "River Landing Shoring" and this was the first thing that popped up.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:15 AM

Piling should start in March, slabs in April. Not sure about a crane yet.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:39 PM

Maybe the one crane they took down at the children's hospital will be sent across town.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:09 AM

They have planned for one oversized crane that will look like overkill until the project really starts getting out of the ground, or that's what I initially heard.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
They have planned for one oversized crane that will look like overkill until the project really starts getting out of the ground, or that's what I initially heard.

are those the ground "boom" cranes that rise like 16,000ft in the air with the big chain hook lol?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 2:54 AM

I'm sure there will be some 'surface' crane rentals along the way, I remember from initial meetings with Stuart Olson that it being quite tall for a parkade, but it would be also be used for the other buildings above grade.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:47 PM

what about the small office tower? MVA's site mentioned there was approval to get that tower going too. will they officially start that one once the parkade for the condo/hotel is done? i know theres a wack of dirt piled up there the small office tower will be, but how long will that sit there for ?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 5:50 PM

Urban Capital posted a progress picture of the parkade on their Facebook page. I believe this picture isn't 100% current since they had started installing another level of tiebacks when I went past their this weekend, which are not shown in the picture.

https://scontent.fyxe1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...38&oe=5972B9AD

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:56 PM

March 4th, 2017 Update:

It looks like all of the tiebacks are installed and the are pretty close to bottom at the south end of the hole. The odd thing is I only remember seeing two levels of tiebacks in the original drawing submitted to Meewasin for the excavation permit.

Assembled reinforcement cages for the parkade columns:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan