HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:32 PM

Looks to me that Yuma is the one out of the way.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ That doesn't really tell the whole story.

There used to be a "Phoenix West" line between Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and Yuma (Wellton), but Amtrak was the last customer using it. The line was sabotaged by a lone-wolf terrorist in the middle of the desert causing the crash of the Sunset Limited. UP abandoned it leaving Phoenix a spur for the last 20 years.

The remoteness of the line makes providing security around it difficult, although the terrorist was dedicated enough to do the job with his working knowledge of track circuits.
Amtrak could kill Maricopa and follow exsist it lines north through chandler Tempe and Phoenix then out the west valley and back to Yuma.

What doesn’t make sense is keeping a stop on a town like Maricopa and passing right by one of the larger metro regions in the country

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:30 PM
'Sunny'

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ That doesn't really tell the whole story.

There used to be a "Phoenix West" line between Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and Yuma (Wellton), but Amtrak was the last customer using it. The line was sabotaged by a lone-wolf terrorist in the middle of the desert causing the crash of the Sunset Limited. UP abandoned it leaving Phoenix a spur for the last 20 years.

The remoteness of the line makes providing security around it difficult, although the terrorist was dedicated enough to do the job with his working knowledge of track circuits.
True but not true. If it was a high capacity line, that would not thwart the usage of the line, they would find a way to keep it operating, but because Phoenix did not have numbers high enough to support it, it was abandoned.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
True but not true. If it was a high capacity line, that would not thwart the usage of the line, they would find a way to keep it operating, but because Phoenix did not have numbers high enough to support it, it was abandoned.
I'm sure the numbers would be significantly different in today. It would be interesting if they were to do an actual study instead of going off of pre-1996 numbers.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:34 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I forget whether we were discussing the corner of Central & Camelback in this thread or another, but I noticed this morning that workers were finally building the pedestrian path between the rail platforms and the corner. Actually, the path doesn't go quite to the corner. It emerges onto Central just south of the corner next to the bus stop there. It's nothing fancy -- just a path lined by palo verdes, but it offers a shorter walk for people transferring between bus and rail, not to mention those walking between the rail station and neighborhood destinations. It's supposed to be interim until the lot is developed, but I hope that whatever goes there permanently includes some sort of pedestrian corridor.
I just missed a train this morning. While waiting for the next one, I noticed that it's actually two paths that are being built. One is the path mentioned above. The other goes from the northwestern end of the rail platform to a location along Camelback a little bit west of the corner. It may not be feasible to build a path directly to the corner because of some water / irrigation infrastructure there, so instead there is a pair of paths, one to each of the intersecting arterial streets.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest