HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ Those last two look like the Brunswick Centre in Bloomsbury. I actually like those particular kinds of housing. Most of the rest of the councils in London are hideous.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:57 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
There are a ton of single-family houses in the Midwest that were built 1920-1960 that have just one bathroom. This bathroom is variously on the first or second floor. The second floor is almost always in an attic space and so gets very hot during the summer. Sometimes the attic bedrooms are shaped in such a way that the bank doesn't recognize them as habitable space, which throws everything into disarray at closing time.

These homes were ignored from about 1970-2015. Now they're coming back into fashion because most people only have 1 or 2 kids so it's not tough to cram them in there. Also, they're often physically located just 1/2 mile from the very expensive neighborhoods with better homes.

Also, housing built from about 1930 onward (and yes, there were a lot of homes built during the Depression) tends to have modern wiring, plumbing, gas, etc. You tend to avoid the exotic problems that appear with 19th century and early 20th century homes.

Here's a better example than my first one...this one is listed for a mere $89k. The neighborhood is a B quality neighborhood. The same house in an A quality neighborhood would list for well over $200k.

https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/C...d-Twp-OH-45216
you know your midwestern housing. st. louis (and other midwestern cities that boomed early and had a ton of development inertia in the 30s) has a surprising amount of 1930-1939 housing on its fringes and in the pre-war suburbs and it’s really the best built stuff...steel i-beams under the floors, concrete foundations, but pre-war quality masonry and wall thicknesses. i almost bought a floor in a 1930s two-flat in an inner suburb...the thing was built like a bomb shelter. a previous house i owned was built in the 20s but was basically the same quality with steel i-beam supported floors excepting the limestone foundation. it’s like bulletproof housing...just needs kitchen updates and paint a lot of times.

zwillow.com

pinterest.com

beltstl.com

Last edited by Centropolis; May 25, 2018 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ Those last two look like the Brunswick Centre in Bloomsbury. I actually like those particular kinds of housing. Most of the rest of the councils in London are hideous.
Indeed, you can see what most London council/social housing looks like from listings on home swap sites like this one.

https://www.homeswapper.co.uk/Search...longitude=null

It's mostly not particularly beautiful but as you can also see the prices are much more reasonable than private sector rentals.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:23 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Indeed, you can see what most London council/social housing looks like from listings on home swap sites like this one.

https://www.homeswapper.co.uk/Search...longitude=null

It's mostly not particularly beautiful but as you can also see the prices are much more reasonable than private sector rentals.
Those are amazing deals.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:38 PM

Yeah, if you can get them. There's a multi year waiting list for social housing in many London boroughs I think even if you meet the eligibility criteria.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3210171.html

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
you know your midwestern housing. st. louis (and other midwestern cities that boomed early and had a ton of development inertia in the 30s) has a surprising amount of 1930-1939 housing on its fringes and in the pre-war suburbs and it’s really the best built stuff...steel i-beams under the floors, concrete foundations, but pre-war quality masonry and wall thicknesses. i almost bought a floor in a 1930s two-flat in an inner suburb...the thing was built like a bomb shelter. a previous house i owned was built in the 20s but was basically the same quality with steel i-beam supported floors excepting the limestone foundation. it’s like bulletproof housing...just needs kitchen updates and paint a lot of times.

In the midwest the change from stone to concrete foundations occurred right at 1900, so it makes it pretty easy to date a house in an area where some is older and some is newer.

The big mess-up they did make in 1920s-30s housing were that the automobile garages were too narrow. A lot of them are just 8-9 feet wide, so completely useless for today's cars.

I live in an area where people dug garages into their basements -- no doubt at great expense -- back around 1920-1930. They're all those small doors and so by the 1950s they were useless.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
In the midwest the change from stone to concrete foundations occurred right at 1900, so it makes it pretty easy to date a house in an area where some is older and some is newer.

The big mess-up they did make in 1920s-30s housing were that the automobile garages were too narrow. A lot of them are just 8-9 feet wide, so completely useless for today's cars.

I live in an area where people dug garages into their basements -- no doubt at great expense -- back around 1920-1930. They're all those small doors and so by the 1950s they were useless.
in st. louis they waited until around 1930 before switching to concrete in most cases i've seen...although the interwar stone basements are much much better than any 19th century stone basement i've ever had.

i've seen that basement garage thing before, usually in the hilly pre-war areas of st. louis county (example: https://goo.gl/maps/DnbHqSy3vMM2) and not the much flatter city proper (i live in a pre-war suburb in the county where those garages are much more common) and i think it was a huge mistake, obviously. a lot of the small alley garages that were built are now getting replaced when the house is rehabbed and usually they become two car, which is good.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
in st. louis they waited until around 1930 before switching to concrete in most cases i've seen...
that seems odd. chicago seems to have changed over to concrete foundations around the turn of the century.

the house i grew up in was built in 1912 with a concrete foundation. our neighbor's house was built in 1888 with a stone foundation.

i wonder why st. louis lagged by 3 decades. easy and cheap access to a large quarry for good foundation stone?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
that seems odd. chicago seems to have changed over to concrete foundations around the turn of the century.

the house i grew up in was built in 1912 with a concrete foundation. our neighbor's house was built in 1888 with a stone foundation.

i wonder why st. louis lagged by 3 decades. easy and cheap access to a large quarry for good foundation stone?
My house here in Pittsburgh was built in either 1905 or 1908 (conflicting dates depending upon the source) and it has a stone foundation. I don't think Pittsburgh really turned to concrete foundations until the 1920s.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
A lot of them are just 8-9 feet wide, so completely useless for today's cars.
This is still the standard width per car in Chicago in 2018.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
This is still the standard width per car in Chicago in 2018.
yeah, the garage door for our parking space at our old condo was only 90" wide.

our mazda CX-5 is 83 inches wide including the mirrors.

that left about 3.5 inches of clearance on either side.

a tight fit for sure, but it was far from useless.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

i guess...st louis sits right on karst and is surrounded by endless supplies of exposed limestone cliffs in every direction (along with clay deposits for brick).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
London Breed took top honors today in San Francisco after former state Sen. Mark Leno conceded defeat after a nail-biting (Mayoral) election . . . .

Not only will Breed, a former acting mayor and president of the Board of Supervisors, be the first black woman elected to the city‘s highest office, she will also enter with the most pro-housing platform.

. . . Breed believes the city’s affordability crisis is driven mainly by a lack of housing supply.

“The housing crisis has grown visibly worse recently, but it is — at its core — the result of decades of bad housing policy in San Francisco and the Bay Area,” wrote Breed on Medium. “From 2010 to 2015, San Francisco created eight jobs for every home we built. Yes, eight jobs for every home.”

Her views on San Francisco’s dearth of housing stock had many constituents, as well as the city’s YIMBY (Yes In My Backyard) group, firmly in Breed’s camp . . . .

(Laura Foote) Clark, (executive director of YIMBY Action) hopes the Breed administration will focus on upzoning the wealthiest low-density areas of the city, especially around transit, as well as strengthening tenant protections.

“Breed was alone among the candidates in supporting SB 827 (state Senate measure mandating upzoning of areas adjacent to transit hubs). . .
https://sf.curbed.com/2018/6/13/1746...by-win-housing

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:30 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Hopefully she gets things done while appealing to the NIMBYs and preservationists.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:53 PM

70% of people will live in cities in 2050, are 70% of us going to be rich?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:01 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
6 Reasons Housing Is About To Become Even More Unaffordable: A new report reveals rising rents and surging inequality — and it’s only going to get worse.

The reasons, according to the article, are:

1. Low-Cost Housing Is Disappearing From The Market

2. America Isn’t Building Enough Homes

3. America’s Cities Are Unaffordable

4. Racial Disparities Are Getting Worse

5. High Housing Costs Shift Money From The Young To The Old

6. Policies At Every Level Are Making It Worse
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions