HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Agreed. The Riders look, well sound on the radio anyway, terrible. Looking like we are playing to not be in last in the West. How long is our head guys contract? Oh yeah I remember. Sigh.
Doesn't take long for the pitch-forks to get sharpened eh!

I wish the fanatics would just relax and wait a few games. Since I gave up giving a fuck about the wins and loses of any team I care about my life has certainly gotten a lot less stressful!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:21 AM

CFL commissioner has another pitch play to run
By Bruce Arthur The Star Sports Columnist June 10, 2018

Randy Ambrosie can’t throw a football at the moment, because he’s the commissioner of the Canadian Football League. Wait, back up. When he was a young offensive lineman Ambrosie could bench 420 pounds, max. When he became commissioner he wanted to stay active, partly because his parents got sedentary when they retired, and partly because, as he puts it, “I never want to stand next to a player who thinks I’m the ‘after’ part of the before and after picture. I want them to feel like I’m a guy who belongs in the sport, so look the role.”

So he started lifting again, in addition to riding exercise bikes and walking, and the left-handed commish was diagnosed by Hamilton’s team doctor with an old partially torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder that was hiding in plain sight. The 55-year-old Ambrosie is doing narrow bench press these days, hands together. He can heft 220, but wants to do more.

He always wants to do more. Ambrosie has been a hit as the CFL’s 14th commissioner. The owners are thrilled, the players respect him, fans flock. He’s the big, genial, deceptively canny guy who you can’t help but like. He looks the part, and wants to do big things.

“I got asked by the governors at the last meeting for a five-year plan,” Ambrosie says. “And I’m gonna start with a five-year vision, and then the plan, and then work our way through the details. I know this: I think we can double the size of this league in the next five years. In terms of revenue. I think we can.”

He ticks off filling the seats, appealing to new and more diverse Canadians, the international marketplace in terms of both players and TV rights. He mentions a recent meeting in Moncton, N.B., with Premier Brian Gallant, the province’s finance minister, Cathy Rogers, and others, as part of a regional effort to bring a 10th franchise to Halifax. And when he talks about his eventual, hoped-for legacy — about having done right by his owners, the players, the teams, the fans, everybody — he casually notes that he would like to have done right by the “nine and 10 and maybe one day 12 or however many teams.”

“I think the thing that I really appreciate, and I talk to (my wife) Barb about this all the time, is I feel this amazing onus of responsibility to do the right thing,” says Ambrosie.

But how can you be a good commissioner to everyone, and be a football commissioner who does all the right things? Ambrosie is exactly what the CFL needs: someone who tries to build bridges, who has the credibility and appeal and leverage to transcend what is not a strong position, in order to get things done. “A typical CEO has a lot more command and control. This is a big influence role,” says Ambrosie. He has to command respect, because he cannot always demand it.

But how can you satisfy owners who don’t make a ton of money from the enterprise, and players who play 18 games and often make regular-person money? How can you grow it that big? And don’t say Johnny Manziel.

Getting the controversial quarterback up here with what are presented as expert-driven and stringent conditions — Manziel told USA Today they included mandatory doctor visits, monthly tests to make sure he’s taking Lithium for a bipolar disorder, and appointments with a therapist — is a way to get more eyeballs looking at the league, and Ambrosie doesn’t publicly worry about whether it will go wrong. He has imposed caps on non-player spending by teams, and doesn’t publicly worry about whether it will result in losing coaches and GMs. (They’ve often gone south for NCAA or NFL jobs when they become available, anyway.)

He talks about the good stuff, the Diversity Is Strength campaign, spreading the gospel of the league, keeping the fans feeling “like they are part of the DNA of our league.” Ambrosie works his tail off, and he listens like his mom listened, and it’s been a strength.

But to be a CFL commissioner with such goals you have to be a cheerleader for football itself. Ambrosie loves it, clearly. But it’s tricky.

“Show me a sport in the world without level of inclusion and the disparity of abilities and body types, this is more important to people today, when kids are struggling with their identity,” says Ambrosie, getting revved up. “We need more football. We need way more football, rather than less. And I told him that’s part of the story of why we need a team in every corner of this country, because the game is good for kids.

“I wasn’t a typical profile. When I was growing up I played hockey, and I was an OK hockey player, but I certainly wasn’t the typical profile. I stop at a football field, and the coach says, ‘Well, you’re gonna be an offensive lineman and a defensive lineman, you’re going to play both ways.’ And it changed my life like, literally changed my life. I think football does that. So that’s a part of our story as well. Football should be three, four, five times bigger in this country — three, four, five times the number of kids playing. Why, because it’s good for kids. It’s the most inclusive sport.”

But football isn’t good for kids. The Annals Of Neurology, one of the most respected neurology journals in America, published a study in April that concluded that on average, kids who played tackle football before the age of 12 developed cognitive issues over 13 years earlier than kids who didn’t. And for every year younger you started football, the cognitive issues came 2.4 years earlier. Kids who get brain injuries before 12 recover more slowly than older kids. Like Hockey Canada and USA Hockey raising the age for bodychecking, there is a push from the Concussion Legacy Institute in Boston to raise the age of tackle football to 14. Ambrosie, for the record, was 15 when he started.

Ambrosie doesn’t have an answer for that, yet. He lauds changes in how football is taught — Heads Up Football, a program the NFL pushes through USA Football — but while he has already instituted a ban on padded practices in season and is cognizant of player safety issues, he doesn’t have answer for the dangers of the game itself yet. Does he have an age in mind when kids should play tackle football?

“No, and frankly we need a national discussion, and we need to talk to our friends at Football Canada, and we need to talk to the provincial bodies, and these are things that I haven’t gotten to yet that are important,” says Ambrosie. “I think it something we need to spend more time talking about, I really do.”

He needs an answer on that, a good and defensible one, if he wants to preach football. Maybe Randy Ambrosie, the good listener, the player who started late, the hinge upon which all the parts of the CFL can perhaps swing in perfect harmony, can do that, and will. After all, a commissioner’s job is, at least in part, to make people feel better about watching football. Everybody loves Randy Ambrosie. He has big ambitions, and much to do. We’ll see what he chooses to lift, and what he can.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:44 PM

Well that's quite the way to open the CFL season. Two delays because of lighting(not rain as some have said) and the game ends in the early morning hours of Friday.

And my Esks win it! Well done boys!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:01 PM

^ I didn't watch the second half because I had to get home and go to bed, but Streveler looked pretty composed and he even passed for 3 TDs which is damn impressive for your first pro game. Sounds like the offense played well enough to win the game... too bad about the D and especially getting burned on the deep ball touchdown pass early on.

Bombers need the win next week against the sad sack Alouettes... probably their best shot at a W until Nichols returns.

The storm was unfortunate, it really deflated the atmosphere and eliminated the halftime concert. The funny thing is any other night would have yielded much nicer, I daresay perfect weather. Surely it is divine retribution for not playing football on the weekend, as God intended.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:21 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Game was a lot closer than I was expecting (without Nichols playing).
Re-affirms my decision to pick the Bombers over the Als next week.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 1:58 PM

Idiot on the field gets destroyed by B.C. Lions player
3Down Staff June 16, 2018

So while fans running on the field of play is certainly a thing in other sports, it’s not something that happens with regularity in the CFL.

And after what happened tonight at B.C. Place, you can see why.

Early in the second quarter of the Lions game against the Montreal Alouettes, a fan wearing what appears to be a Jon Jennings jersey and, um, blue tighty-whities ran onto the field and scurried around for a bit. As security looked to track him down, Lions defensive back Marcell Young laid him out with a pretty good hit.

Here are some angles…

https://twitter.com/Jadenfootball21/...537473/video/1
https://twitter.com/Lundi77/status/1...978496/video/1

At the end of the second clip you can hear Nelson from the Simpsons over the PA "Hah hah"

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 2:44 PM

^ That guy got crushed but really, the players should not be getting involved in a matter that stadium security can handle. I can't see it being worth the potential hassles.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 3:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That guy got crushed but really, the players should not be getting involved in a matter that stadium security can handle. I can't see it being worth the potential hassles.
It was sort of a mini football fantasy camp.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The players have to handle it. In the olden days you could probably safely assume that guy would be harmless, can't do that today. Security tries to contain them on the field because we've all seen the scenes of chasing some clown around the field and not being able to catch them. You have to consider them armed and potentially violent and waiting in a defensive posture is not the right stance to take if you have a chance to subdue them.

Most people old enough can remember this

Video Link

And here is the mindset behind that. To me, in this day and age, you do that and you have abrogated your right to well being.

In pro wrestling, you (usually the ref) would get the guy right as he was coming through the ropes (and most vulnerable). Kick straight to the face.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 8:58 PM
Starring as himself

I doubt that the player, or anyone else, had the slightest concern that this drunk goofball was dangerous. I hope he makes a quick and complete recovery from the deserved conclusion to his little adventure.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 9:00 PM

For those who wonder why Toronto doesn't support the Argos, you should listen to this.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-...cfl-expansion/

I happen to agree 100%. I think the league should consider moving them out to Mississauga or even London some day. If those cities want to build a stadium of course (big if).

Interesting info on Halifax at the end too. It definitely tough to get a stadium built when the ROI is so low.

Last edited by tomthumb2; Jun 22, 2018 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 9:25 PM
Community Guy

Let's GO ESKIMOS!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 1:52 AM

The Bombers, with a rookie backup quarterback no less, are blowing out the Als. 55 points...up by 45. It's early in the season but this will probably be the biggest margin of victory in the CFL this year.

I was expecting a tightly contested low scoring game with Streveler struggling to put together drives against what I thought would be a decent Montreal. So much for that...not that I'm unhappy about that!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 1:54 AM

I wonder how many people took up the Als on their lame promotion of $10 tickets in the fourth quarter!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:17 AM

The Als look really bad like 1980's Montreal Concordes bad. I am glad my Bombers won but I am wondering if the competition against Montreal is not a fair barometer compared to the rest of the league. Mike Sherman as a coach looks lost out there and Drew Willy is a sack machine and their o-line is worse than swiss cheese its more like shredded cheese.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:53 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
The Als look really bad like 1980's Montreal Concordes bad. I am glad my Bombers won but I am wondering if the competition against Montreal is not a fair barometer compared to the rest of the league. Mike Sherman as a coach looks lost out there and Drew Willy is a sack machine and their o-line is worse than swiss cheese its more like shredded cheese.
Drew Willy is looking OK, but can't do anything with no protection.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:16 AM

Wow the Hammer really put it to the Eskimos , they could be better than people thought ! Btw Johnny Football is going to be Johnny Clipboard as Masoli is very underrated and unless he gets hurt Manziel is not playing

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 12:51 PM

Full marks for the RedBlacks win. The Riders could get not any pressure on Harris and he picked them apart.

Love love love that the TiCats knocked the Eskimo's off their 18-0 run. LOL!

Now if the Argo's can knock off the Stamps's the pain of Thursday night will fade away!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 1:34 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The Bombers, with a rookie backup quarterback no less, are blowing out the Als. 55 points...up by 45. It's early in the season but this will probably be the biggest margin of victory in the CFL this year.

I was expecting a tightly contested low scoring game with Streveler struggling to put together drives against what I thought would be a decent Montreal. So much for that...not that I'm unhappy about that!
Stamps are giving it a run tonight against the Argos.
(I wish they had done this last Nov.)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Full marks for the RedBlacks win. The Riders could get not any pressure on Harris and he picked them apart.

Love love love that the TiCats knocked the Eskimo's off their 18-0 run. LOL!

Now if the Argo's can knock off the Stamps's the pain of Thursday night will fade away!
Pressure on Harris is exactly what killed them in the Eastern semi-final last fall. Improvement on both lines was a Redblack priority during the off season. Game 1 provided hope that an improvement may be real.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada