HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:33 PM

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:38 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Really? I am in Victoria and we never felt a thing.
Yep, really. It's crazy how things work like that sometimes. In 2010 I was in an office building in Burnaby when the quake happened off the west coast of the island, and I felt it, but many islanders didn't!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:50 PM

Yeah, it's pretty interesting. There was noticeable shaking in many places in the Lower Mainland, but I didn't feel anything here in Burnaby.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:45 PM

Definitely felt it on the 45th floor. The quake came in four subsequent waves that swayed the building gently from side to side. I knew it was an earthquake immediately and a mobile app I have confirmed this being 6.7 in magnitude.

This was more powerful than the Haida Gwai ones (7,7 and 7,5) a year ago, since this was under 400 kilometers from Vancouver. Good thing I am prepared even for a much bigger one.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:24 AM
I am a typical

Why did you choose distilled water?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

distilled water is not wat u want for drinking water...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:25 AM
Closed account

It's certainly unnecessary, but not harmful.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:43 AM

whenever there is a quake in the world the local media publishes and reports on get ready vancouver blah blah blah and says you need a kit etc and distilled water is always listed

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:56 AM

I just bought water without thinking about it. What is the issue with distilled water? I am curious.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:14 PM
Closed account

Since it isn't isotonic, some people claim that it will leach minerals from your body or won't be effective at rehydrating you. The fact is that normal water isn't isotonic either, yet is more than effective at rehydrating in most situations. Humans also get pretty much all of their minerals from food sources; so unless you stop eating, you shouldn't worry about mineral deficiencies.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:08 PM
ARTchitecture

The scary thing I find about a potential "Big One" in Vancouver, regardless of how unlikely it is within the next century, is that if a 8.7 - 9.2 megathrust did occur, the airport would be under 10 feet of liquefied soil, the port would either be raised several feet or lowered several feet under water, and nearby Seattle would likely be even worse off, since their city is built on soil (much like Richmond) while most of the major cities of Metro Vancouver are built on a ridge of bedrock stretching from the Downtown Peninsula all the way to Coquitlam. So with the major aid/disaster relief delivery points (port and airport) and the only other major hub in the region effectively in ruins, what would the city do? I suppose Abbotsford Airport would be capable of receiving disaster relief flights, but there is no saying that this theoretical Earthquake wouldn't liquefy the entire Sumas area(Abbotsford, Langley, Chilliwack), including the TCH going over it. It could potentially be one of the worst Earthquakes in North American history due to the placement of infrastructure and the lack of nearby support centres.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The scary thing I find about a potential "Big One" in Vancouver, regardless of how unlikely it is within the next century, is that if a 8.7 - 9.2 megathrust did occur, the airport would be under 10 feet of liquefied soil, the port would either be raised several feet or lowered several feet under water, and nearby Seattle would likely be even worse off, since their city is built on soil (much like Richmond) while most of the major cities of Metro Vancouver are built on a ridge of bedrock stretching from the Downtown Peninsula all the way to Coquitlam. So with the major aid/disaster relief delivery points (port and airport) and the only other major hub in the region effectively in ruins, what would the city do? I suppose Abbotsford Airport would be capable of receiving disaster relief flights, but there is no saying that this theoretical Earthquake wouldn't liquefy the entire Sumas area(Abbotsford, Langley, Chilliwack), including the TCH going over it. It could potentially be one of the worst Earthquakes in North American history due to the placement of infrastructure and the lack of nearby support centres.
Thankfully we'll have the support of the US military. San Diego have several Amphibious assault Carriers and Amphibious support ships with their helicopters and landing craft. Those assets would be crucial in getting relief supplies from staging areas to distribution centres.
Too bad our Navy has not been able or willing to develop that capability.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:33 PM
ARTchitecture

That is true, but again we're left with the issue of Seattle being in ruins. Do you really think the US would sacrifice relief operations for one of their cities, which would possibly/likely be drastically more affected than Vancouver would be, for a Canadian city?

I also agree that our Navy should develop this capability. Two or three hybrid helicopter carriers/amphibious assault ships would be good. Or one Canberra Class heavy helicopter carrier/ Cavour-type Light Aircraft Carrier and a small amphibious assault ship.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:20 PM

Oh I realize that Vancouver would be number two. But a hit on Vancouver does not automatically mean that Seattle is nailed as well.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 1:23 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I just bought water without thinking about it. What is the issue with distilled water? I am curious.
It's very bland, and has a low pH. Water molecules don't handle being isolated from other things very well, they have a nasty habit of pulling other stuff into the water. Unlike what some people above have said, though, they won't do this to the point that it makes you sick. It's OK to drink distilled water, it's just unusual that you would want to since it tastes like crap. (It's also expensive to produce, requiring massive amounts of electricity, though unlike RO it doesn't waste much; reverse-osmosis water creates 2 gallons of waste water for every 1 gallon of drinking water. This is what you're buying when you buy most big box store bottled waters.)

While water is a good carbon sink, distilled water absorbs carbon dioxide exceptionally well and this gives it a very flat taste and a low pH, almost like a watered down tonic. If it is cold, it doesn't taste too bad, but if you're using it in an emergency kit it likely won't be cold. However, your body does absorb water best when it is room temperature, so if you're dehydrated, room-temperature mineral water will hydrate you the best.

I would recommend getting a spring water instead. Demineralized (distilled, deionized or reverse osmosis) water is going to be very flat tasting and will make your post-earthquake nightmare scenario even worse! Filling a container with municipal water will result in chlorine being absorbed by the plastic container, leading to a chemical taste of the water (if you leave it uncapped for several hours, the chlorine should off-gas and leave the water tasting fine but chlorine levels vary so you might not get a definite result), while well water, depending on the level of filtration, may result in sediment forming in the bottom of the container or even bacterial or algae growth inside the container. It takes about 2 to 3 years for a spring water's minerals to settle to the point that the water tastes bland, but if bottled under adequate conditions, bottled water will never get to a point where it will harm you, even tap water though it might taste like bleach.

Demineralized water is great for things like humidifiers, CPAP machines, cleaning sensitive equipment and making ice. The lack of minerals will make a very hard ice that melts slower than ice made with municipal or spring water, so you don't have to waste what you bought.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 8:28 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

A 4.1 magnitude earthquake near Rocky Mountain House today. Knocked out power in the region. This is the strongest earthquake in Alberta that I can recall.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...erta-1.2732266

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 8:52 PM
ARTchitecture

Crazy! I've never heard of a quake in AB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Oh I realize that Vancouver would be number two. But a hit on Vancouver does not automatically mean that Seattle is nailed as well.
Yes it does. The conversation is about a megathrust earthquake (8.5 or higher) hitting the Pacific Northwest. Everywhere from Portland to Whistler would be affected. Seattle is built on sandy soil and gravel, while Vancouver is built on solid bedrock, meaning Seattle could potentially be wiped out. Vancouver would be damaged, but nowhere near as bad as Richmond and Seattle. I don't see the US sacrificing even part of its fleet for us in that hypothetical event. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 9:23 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Crazy! I've never heard of a quake in AB.

Yes it does. The conversation is about a megathrust earthquake (8.5 or higher) hitting the Pacific Northwest. Everywhere from Portland to Whistler would be affected. Seattle is built on sandy soil and gravel, while Vancouver is built on solid bedrock, meaning Seattle could potentially be wiped out. Vancouver would be damaged, but nowhere near as bad as Richmond and Seattle. I don't see the US sacrificing even part of its fleet for us in that hypothetical event. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
They might find fixing up Vancouver's port a good priority as the closest easy to salvage port or something. If Seattle is that bad they'll probably need/want Canadian help for some things, the best way to get that cheap is to provide us things we can't manage.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 9:58 PM
ARTchitecture

That's true. It could be mutually beneficial, as we'd still have a mostly functional major port, and they would still have at least one potentially operable airport.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 10:37 PM

I'm willing to bet $1000 that Vancouver will not be impacted by a large earthquake in any of our life times.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada