HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I really like this design. I mean the wheat at the bottom could use some inspiration but overall it's well executed! I love the cut-out mountains.
You're not the only one who likes it.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/16...-licence-plate

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 3:04 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:07 AM

Flying drone crash on Glenmore.

Driving yesterday on Glenmore WB right past Macleod and I spotted something big and white in the middle lane. Got closer and it was a four propeller white drone that crashed right on the road one of the propellers still spinning and the thing was bouncing around i the middle lane while cars were trying to avoid it. It was about 2 by 2 feet or so and out of the side mirror there I see a guy running along the miniscule stretch of sidewalk with a remote control in hand.I dunno if he retrieved it since it would be suicide running on the road. Either he ran out of battery juice or flew too far for the transmitter.....how far can those things fly anyways?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:26 PM

I fly RC planes, you can get anywhere from 300m to over 1km with those. He probably got hit with interference, or just didn't know what he was doing. Either way he shouldn't have been flying there. I'd never consider that a safe place.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 3:29 PM

I'm sure the police got involved.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 11:39 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 12:00 AM

Is Calgary Board of Education still slated for demolition? Real shame that we're losing one of our only examples. I don't think the general public has come around on Brutalism quite yet, but I reckon in 50 years we'll be kicking ourselves for tearing down the best examples. Like any style or trend, the most extreme examples were likely most attractive in their day and most ugly once the style is passé. But these are also most likely to become classics as time goes on.

Century Gardens and the ex-Telus World of Science are Brutalist too but I've never really been able to appreciate them. Telus World of Science took a pretty bad hit (architecturally) when they tore down the entranceway to make room for the LRT; really threw off the building's proportions.

Image credit CBC, http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rees-1.2564167

Last edited by Trans Canada; Sep 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Reason: Reason: Reason:

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Thanks for that. If you like that, you may enjoy reading this: Shawn Micallef on the state of Canadian modernism

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 1:28 PM

I've always been a fan of Brutalism, but I've never really been a huge fan of the Science Center. I think it's a little too much of a mish-mash of angles and shapes, that never really comes together in any harmonious way. I much prefer the institutional examples like CBE that are more structured and rectilinear.

The problem is when you get too much concrete on concrete everywhere (overly-brutalist plazas tend to suck imo). The best brutalism is when its surrounded by lush greenery or things to contrast the concrete.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 4:50 PM

Fun fact: in Fargo (critically acclaimed TV series filmed in Calgary last year), the CBE building is cast as FBI HQ.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
I've always been a fan of Brutalism, but I've never really been a huge fan of the Science Center. I think it's a little too much of a mish-mash of angles and shapes, that never really comes together in any harmonious way. I much prefer the institutional examples like CBE that are more structured and rectilinear.

The problem is when you get too much concrete on concrete everywhere (overly-brutalist plazas tend to suck imo). The best brutalism is when its surrounded by lush greenery or things to contrast the concrete.
I'm a fan of good brutalism. The original building of MRU at lincoln park was great, and had some nice greenery all around it. I used bomb around the exterior on my bike (and sneak around the interior) in summers when I was a kid. That might be partly how I became interested in architecture. Unfortunately from what I can tell the original structure is now almost completely lost behind decades of uninspiring additions.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:28 PM

Would love to see a shiny glass tower sticking out of the CBE as a podium one day

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:07 AM

Interesting, I just got an automated telephone survey call. It basically asked my opinion of Jim Prentice, Michele Rempel, Daniele Smith and err... Sean Chu, as well as voting intentions. I'm not sure why Sean Chu's name was included, I sure hope he doesn't plan on going any higher in govt!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:59 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

By all means go higher Chu, and be relegated to a back bench and be completely insignificant. We all win.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:13 AM
not a NIMBY

I answered a phone survey tonight from Abingdon Research 403.768.2399. They asked questions about Prentice, Rempel, Kenney, Nenshi, Smith, etc. They didn't ask me about Chu but about Druh!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I answered a phone survey tonight from Abingdon Research 403.768.2399. They asked questions about Prentice, Rempel, Kenney, Nenshi, Smith, etc. They didn't ask me about Chu but about Druh!
I got this one too. They got through Prentice, Kenny, Rempel and Smith before my answering machine cut them off. It would have been interesting to know if I was on the Druh or Chu list!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
By all means go higher Chu, and be relegated to a back bench and be completely insignificant. We all win.
I think Chu is Alberta Legislature material.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:20 AM
BANNED

Sooo cheeky. If Chu gets re-elected to city council I’ll be surprised.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:42 AM

I think I may be on the Chu list because Chu doesn't realize I'm in Druh's riding. His campaign called me during the election, and flyers were dropped in my mailbox. At the end they also ask if you're postal code is one of the ones they list. Mine was not, so I think I've just been put on a wrong list somewhere.

Oh, I also may have been asked about one or 2 other people, but I have a sticky button on my phone and I double or triple pressed, so missed one or 2 options...

Interesting so many forumer's are being polled! Must be a large survey.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Provincial MLAs can't do anything of danger. Send him up to the "big leagues" and let him waste out his life in the backbench. Less harm in the dysfunctional provincial level then on the ground at the municipal level where actual work gets done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation