HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

461 Dean in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Hideous color. Why did they go with a bright color like that? I just lost interested in this project. Come to think of it was already disaster to begin with. The Barclay's Center looks hideous in the background with that shade of brown and cheap looking materials.

Last edited by Perklol; Mar 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

The proportions of the base are also really off here. The first residential floor looks like its twelve feet off the ground. For being right next door to a major sports arena and entertainment district why would you have residential so close to the sidewalk? The first units should be a good 40 feet up. Having residential units that close to street level looks horrible. And that's going to be some ridiculous noise in those rooms on game days, and just regular old noisy on all other days. And yeah that classless bright red is not going to age well.

I kind of wish City Point was being built HERE.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:46 PM

It seems is not going as fast as they said, at least not yet.

On the other hand, it is also true that when this building tops out, it will be basically complete, since all the internal and facade finishing works are done in the factory. Once it tops out, maybe they will need another three or four months to do things like elevator instalation or hallway and ground floor finishings, while in a conventional building, once the structure is topped out, it may need another year to do all the facade work and internal finishing works.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 10:34 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of March 27th, 2014...

©field_condition on Instagram

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 10:43 PM

Word on the street is that this may be seeing major changes after B2 is done. We shall see...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:02 PM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Word on the street is that this may be seeing major changes after B2 is done. We shall see...
Really??? Like what? Please tell me you have more info for us!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 6:52 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of April 10th, 2014...

field_condition on Instagram

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:22 PM

Construction photos and update from yesterday:

http://fieldcondition.com/blog/2014/...-april-10-2014

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:40 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

The World's Tallest Modular Tower Grows in Atlantic Yards
Monday, April 14, 2014, by Jessica Dailey

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 11:35 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I may be in the minority here, but I like the brighter red color. It has a sort of Scandinavian flair to it, like some of the towers that have gone up in Rotterdam over the last 7-10 years.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 10:25 PM

I went by today. I think this looks great. For all the gorgeous architecture being created in New York right now, this is the one that'll be in the history books.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 4:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Completion Date for First Atlantic Yards Tower Pushed Back

Quote:
As the Atlantic Yards megaproject comes under increased scrutiny for failing to deliver a single unit of housing one decade in, there's more bad news for developer Forest City Ratner: the completion date for the first residential tower, B2, has been moved to late 2015, instead of this year, according to a State of the Megaproject article in the Times. To make matters even more embarrassing for the developer, the speed at which the tower was supposed to be completed was a focal point of its design — Forest City had angered the unions by decided to build B2 using modular construction, but said that the structure would be completed in a mere 18 months, expediting the delivery of affordable housing to the community. Now, almost 18 months later, the tower is only 13 percent completed.

Things have gotten so bad at Atlantic Yards that a few months ago Forest City sold off a 70 percent stake in the project to a Chinese investment group, which immediately (and probably ill-advisedly) announced a plan to complete two towers a year for the next eight years. Now it turns out that the the Chinese company, Greenland Holding Group, will not even be using the (theoretically faster) modular construction to achieve that lofty goal. The next three towers will be built using regular construction, while the fifth tower is still up in the air, according to Forest City's spokesperson.
=========================================
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ushed_back.php

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 1:13 AM

That's ridiculous!

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 2:09 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of May 26th, 2014...
Photo Credit: Tectonic

©Tectonic

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 12:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Modular Tower Developer and Contractor Slap Each Other with Lawsuits

Quote:
The dispute between Pacific Park Brooklyn developer Forest City Ratner and contractor Skansksa USA Building escalated to the courts today. The construction firm that’s under contract to build B2, a residential building slated for the area around Barclays Center that used to be known as “Atlantic Yards,” filed a suit against Forest City just 16 minutes before the developer slapped the contractor with its own suit in Manhattan state court.

The contractor alleges “serious commercial and design issues” are plaguing the 363-unit, 32-story residential building slated to be constructed from 930 pre-fab steel modules, but the complaint filed by Forest City’s lawyers contend that Skansksa should take responsibility for cost overruns and delays that led to a work stoppage and furloughs for 150 workers last week, an argument that the contractor steadfastly denies.

“Rather than acknowledging their problems, they are slinging mud at Skanska,” Skansksa USA Building co-chief operating officer Richard Kennedy said in a statement. “But slinging mud at Skanska in the press and in legal documents that misstate the actual facts is not going to get the B2 project moving again or put the modular factory workers back to work. Skanska prides itself on its ability to work through challenges in a way that is timely, effective and respects the commercial interests of all parties involved.”

Yet the developer’s wide-ranging 32-page complaint charges the contractor with a lack of skill and experience that caused the project to fall off-kilter and more than a year behind schedule.

“From the start, Skanska mismanaged the project through gross incompetence, causing it to be riddled with delays and cost overruns,” reads the complaint filed by Forest City. “Skanska has stumbled through every step of the Project, and has repeatedly and routinely failed to meet any self-imposed or contractual deadlines, goals, or targets. As noted, the construction schedule stipulated that the building would be substantially completed by July 25, 2014. That date has come and gone and, as of today, only 10 floors of the planned 32-stories have been erected at the project site.”

The dispute doesn’t involve any of the three new building starts the developer announced earlier this year or its partner for the Pacific Park Brooklyn project, Chinese investment firm Greenland USA, representatives for Forest City noted.
=============================
http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...on-each-other/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:10 AM
BANNED

So ironic that Skanska is saying that.

Why bother building things on time if you can ripoff others by getting double the amount of $ with "cost overruns" or "unexpected delays".--That's what they are doing.

Last edited by Perklol; Sep 3, 2014 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Skanska terminates B2 construction contract

Quote:
Skanska USA Building cancelled its contract for Forest City Ratner’s Pacific Park, formerly known as Atlantic Yards, in the latest chapter in an ongoing legal tussle between the joint venture partners on Tuesday. “We believe in modular and have worked tireless to get B2 back on track since Skanska blindsided us by ceasing construction and putting 157 workers on the street last month,” MaryAnne Gilmartin, president and CEO of Forest City Ratner, said in an emailed statement. “Skanska has responded with inaction and inertia, trying to leverage us financially by stonewalling B2’s progress.”

Now that Skanska is no longer the contractor on the project, FCR is free to hire another company to usher the project through to completion, Crain’s reported. But because the Swedish firm still partially controls the Brooklyn Navy Yard modular facility making the B2 units, the matter is complicated.

Both sides also headed to state Supreme Court today over allegations over who was at fault for delays and cost overruns at the 363-unit building dubbed B2 BKLYN. A state court judge denied Forest City’s request that the shuttered factory be reopened, but ordered board members of the modular company FC+Skanska Modular to determine how the facility will now be run.
========================
September 23, 2014
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/09/....1bj4PSJ5.dpuf

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

Oh my god, take it down and start over!!!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 4:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Forest City Resumes Work on Stalled B2 Tower

Quote:
Forest City has resumed work on the stalled B2 tower at Pacific Park (née Atlantic Yards), according to The New York Daily News. The article, however, was thin on specifics of exactly what work has been resumed. As far as we can deduce, it means the employees who have been hired — or rehired — so far are now reporting for work every day.

Forest City has, presumably, had plenty of time during this pause to fine-tune any issues with the way the modules fit together – although they always said the design is not the issue — so perhaps they’ll soon start churning them out and stacking them high. We’re watching with interest.
==============================
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2076674
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015...-frontpage-top

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i read that fcr bought out the fabrication factory from skanska and now they are building the modules themselves.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive