HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 9:45 PM

http://504shoup.com

Keep em coming!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 10:32 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post

Keep em coming!

Agree There have been two businesses or developers start projects downtown. This is nice to see and was one building that doesn't surprise me.

One idea about Kelsch would be a rooftop restaurant. What do you think?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 10:38 PM
Honored Member

Also curious, Grand Teton with all the INL new projects and construction of the ARF what you think of my post yesterday. I think it is on the previous page as the very last post.

Thanks

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 12:46 PM

Construction crews

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
flyinpenguin, There might be a different reason Woodbury opted for a Springhill Suites. While I always will now question Woodbury's cash flow, given what the project manager told the IF RDA about what banks wouldn't finance in this project, given other major projects in I.F., many construction workers will be in hotels. Between families traveling to YNP etc., business travel and all the construction/trade workers, this hotel might meet the budgets best of all those groups.

Let me know if you want to know 3-4 construction crews that are or will be staying hotels.
What do you think of that theory?
Construction crews needing hotels to stay at is a good theory. It sounds like Woodbury is trying to see how much money they can get. I'm sure that's just standard practice. My observation of the I.F. hotel rates is that they seem low most of the time. So I question the immediate need for another property, which could explain Woodburys stance on the money request.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:42 PM
Honored Member

Good to see 504 Shoup is done. When Leland Consulting did their study (finished June, 2015) this project had already started. Good to see they got seven units not six as they originally thought. Better to know 5/7 are leased with zero advertising.

I hope someone will develop more lofts across the street on the vacant second floor where Mtn. Trading Company is. While these projects would probably only add 10 units each, they offer housing to some who want to live downtown.

More importantly, 504 and another property I believe has started their lofts, will offer baseline information for developers and financing institutions and/or Venture Capitalists for more downtown housing.

I was right about one thing though, given demographics about new residents downtown. Leland Consulting made one huge error, IMO, by not looking at comparitive markets for Idaho Falls, except the ones they usually use. Fresno, CA and others, really?? I hope RDA utilizes SOME of what that report yielded and discard some as well.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Jan 29, 2016 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 7:10 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinpenguin View Post
Construction crews needing hotels to stay at is a good theory. It sounds like Woodbury is trying to see how much money they can get. I'm sure that's just standard practice. My observation of the I.F. hotel rates is that they seem low most of the time. So I question the immediate need for another property, which could explain Woodburys stance on the money request.
My understanding is Woodbury started this project after the extremely high occupancy of their Residence Inn last summer. While there will always be a mixture of guests, what put them and every other hotel at capacity was the tourism to YNP, Teton NP and Jackson. No, this hotel wasn't planned due to INL. Woodbury went to the RDA for development help months before any of the new and unexpected projects at INL were announced in late 2015 and 2016.. No way would Woodbury know partner labs, universities and private businesses for these other projects. The increased demand for rooms first will be due to construction then later, teams coming from partner labs, universities in the east and private businesses.

Conversely, I think local developers knew about at least three of the projects. It is very possible local developers and maybe the Colorado group, will proceed with their additional new hotel plans given the unexpected INL projects.

However, I believe other hotel owners may want another year of data before expanding or building another property, Woodbury has seen the trend for years from the Residence Inn and Fairfield. By starting in 2016 they will be ahead of the competition to offer additional rooms.

I probably wasn't clear enough. My earlier comments were really about the brand Woodbury selected, originally. They may have had a different brand chosen until they realized the amount of construction workers, along with tourists and others, who would need rooms. Just like young families traveling to the NP, my comment meant construction workers would be another group who would be searching for that price range and certain features a SpringHills Suite offers, for that price range. There will be more out-of-town construction crews given everything from INL to schools in both Districts, to new businesses and other.

I don't remember the last time I drove by a construction project that had a sign posted for certain workers. It is a local construction company building ~ a $4.5 Million project. Still, every company needs more workers. It's good to see the jobs.

I agree every developer tries to get every dime than can from a city or other. My point again was I.F. did not ask Woodbury to build and had already committed available funds for 2016. I wouldn't want that particular County Commissioner telling me the limit of what RDA could do, especially when the limit had been stated repeatedly in the 12/2015 and other meetings. Do you see that as wise decision to badger the RDA and passively threaten to not build for Woodbury? Woodbury has ownership in Sandcreek Commons as well. The same County Commissioners can block a lot of things around SCC and elsewhere. Besides, we'll have to see what the Legislature does, as I posted specifics in the Idaho Statewide thread. Ammon won't have the flexibility to offer certain things they have in the past. That's a given.

As for the cost of hotel rooms, maybe they are cheap compared to certain markets, but not others. Have you checked Pocatello or MT rates lately? Missoula's Doubletree is Cheaper than their Hilton Garden Inn. Irrelevant to me, I.F. was at capacity last summer. I booked a room, in a much larger city, in a western state this past week. It's true, the pre-pay type rooms are maybe $10-13/ less each night, wit no changs allowed. But the standard reservation rooms where dates can be changed were identical. I see BV slightly changing prices so the Home Suites is coming in a few bucks less than the two Hampton Inns and some HGI. That's to get guests familiar with it, I'm guessing.

Obviously, when events happen and all hotels always sell out, prices increase. Poky hosts about three events yearly that books all their rooms. Already, the Fairfield in I.F. is sold out for an upcoming Poky event too.

Woodbury did have plans for more -likely another hotel- given the placement I've seen in Marriott Clusters. Who knows, maybe they sold those extra lots to another developer. I 'm tired of Woodbury already. I do know of another project in that area, but it's not a hotel.

Bring on Jackson Hole Junction. A fresh design and a great builder, IMO. It will be interesting to see which two hotels are placed there.

Have you see the new Hilton hotel? Interesting design and probably built for Millenial appeal. Marriott now has the Delta, which seems to be mostly in Canada to date, but who knows for the future?

Looking forward to other construction from non-Woodbury developers, in Idaho Falls!!!

Last edited by N2I.F.; Feb 1, 2016 at 8:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 9:41 PM

Jackson Hole Junction

Quote:
My understanding is Woodbury started this project after the extremely high occupancy of their Residence Inn last summer. While there will always be a mixture of guests, what put them and every other hotel at capacity was the tourism to YNP, Teton NP and Jackson. No, this hotel wasn't planned due to INL. Woodbury went to the RDA for development help months before any of the new and unexpected projects at INL were announced in late 2015 and 2016.. No way would Woodbury know partner labs, universities and private businesses for these other projects. The increased demand for rooms first will be due to construction then later, teams coming from partner labs, universities in the east and private businesses.

Conversely, I think local developers knew about at least three of the projects. It is very possible local developers and maybe the Colorado group, will proceed with their additional new hotel plans given the unexpected INL projects.

However, I believe other hotel owners may want another year of data before expanding or building another property, Woodbury has seen the trend for years from the Residence Inn and Fairfield. By starting in 2016 they will be ahead of the competition to offer additional rooms.

I probably wasn't clear enough. My earlier comments were really about the brand Woodbury selected, originally. They may have had a different brand chosen until they realized the amount of construction workers, along with tourists and others, who would need rooms. Just like young families traveling to the NP, my comment meant construction workers would be another group who would be searching for that price range and certain features a SpringHills Suite offers, for that price range. There will be more out-of-town construction crews given everything from INL to schools in both Districts, to new businesses and other.

I don't remember the last time I drove by a construction project that had a sign posted for certain workers. It is a local construction company building ~ a $4.5 Million project. Still, every company needs more workers. It's good to see the jobs.

I agree every developer tries to get every dime than can from a city or other. My point again was I.F. did not ask Woodbury to build and had already committed available funds for 2016. I wouldn't want that particular County Commissioner telling me the limit of what RDA could do, especially when the limit had been stated repeatedly in the 12/2015 and other meetings. Do you see that as wise decision to badger the RDA and passively threaten to not build for Woodbury? Woodbury has ownership in Sandcreek Commons as well. The same County Commissioners can block a lot of things around SCC and elsewhere. Besides, we'll have to see what the Legislature does, as I posted specifics in the Idaho Statewide thread. Ammon won't have the flexibility to offer certain things they have in the past. That's a given.

As for the cost of hotel rooms, maybe they are cheap compared to certain markets, but not others. Have you checked Pocatello or MT rates lately? Missoula's Doubletree is Cheaper than their Hilton Garden Inn. Irrelevant to me, I.F. was at capacity last summer. I booked a room, in a much larger city, in a western state this past week. It's true, the pre-pay type rooms are maybe $10-13/ less each night, wit no changs allowed. But the standard reservation rooms where dates can be changed were identical. I see BV slightly changing prices so the Home Suites is coming in a few bucks less than the two Hampton Inns and some HGI. That's to get guests familiar with it, I'm guessing.

Obviously, when events happen and all hotels always sell out, prices increase. Poky hosts about three events yearly that books all their rooms. Already, the Fairfield in I.F. is sold out for an upcoming Poky event too.

Woodbury did have plans for more -likely another hotel- given the placement I've seen in Marriott Clusters. Who knows, maybe they sold those extra lots to another developer. I 'm tired of Woodbury already. I do know of another project in that area, but it's not a hotel.

Bring on Jackson Hole Junction. A fresh design and a great builder, IMO. It will be interesting to see which two hotels are placed there.

Have you see the new Hilton hotel? Interesting design and probably built for Millenial appeal. Marriott now has the Delta, which seems to be mostly in Canada to date, but who knows for the future?

Looking forward to other construction from non-Woodbury developers, in Idaho Falls!!!
I agree with the desire to have some new hotel developers in the area. For some reason Poky hotels are expensive. The Hampton rarely drops below $119 and the Towne Place I don't think I've seen less than $107. I believe that hotels have a set low price and no matter what it won't go below that price HGI in I.F. can regularly be had for $89, except during peak times. The new Tru by Hilton looks interesting. Appears that the only amenity they removed was the pool. And probably cheapened a few furnishings. Definitely won't appeal to families. I can't think of what hotels they could bring to JH Junction. Courtyard maybe?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 4:38 PM
Honored Member

Arrow Redevelopment RFPs

The RFPs for both the Bonneville Hotel and the Kelsch property at Broadway and Memorial Dr. were advertised for the first time today. It will be interesting to see what contractors respond with various plans respond with RFPs. Downtown redevelopment for new apartments downtown has officially started

http://www.bizmojoidaho.com/2016/02/...ntown.html?m=1

Last edited by N2I.F.; Feb 8, 2016 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:33 AM
Honored Member

RDA Video

Everyone seems to want in the story now, the downtown housing. The video gives a few more details. The RFPs must be back by May 2. It's projected that construction could start in a year. Kelsch can't be more than six stories tall.

I think the video is useful as *everyday people* are talking about wanting to live downtown. It's worth watching to hear what those interviewed said. Idaho Falls RDA did a great job with messaging about what they want downtown. Some of those points are now being discussed by local residents in anticipation of seeing housing units increase.

While I have been critical of part of the Leland report and comparison cities, what they were 100% correct about is the groups of various peoole who would want to live downtown. If anythihg, when they estimated 500 units were needed, given that INL can use 300 of them, I think Leland Consulting underestimated the demand. Perhaps that will bode well for The Falls Apartments in SRL and Riverside Village too.

Here's the link for the vid. Enjoy

http://www.localnews8.com/news/Idaho...ntown/37889418

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 5:17 PM
Honored Member

Watch it live. ..Replacement Fire Station # 1

http://www.idahofallsidaho.gov/play/stationcam.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 5:24 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinpenguin View Post
What's with the Woodbury delay? All things considered, I wonder how much money they had for this project.

I know bids are actively being sought now, but we were told Feb. as the start date. Can they start by June or July? They are losing money having that land empty.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 10:16 PM
Honored Member

Seriously, check out the live webcam of the new fire station. This is moving at Matt Morgan speed

----------------------------------------------------

I saw a couple of things about the Springhill Suites. The official address is 660 Riverwalk Dr.
There are extra meeting and business rooms in this hotel.

Apparently, Woodbury attempted to get the building permit on March 3, 2016 which is close to their projected start date of Feb. 2016. There were a few problems. While my count could be wrong, if I counted correctly there were 31 issues that needed to be resolved prior to the city issuing a building permit. Wow

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 4:06 PM

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...ring-300-jobs/

FBI data center expanding in Idaho; will bring 300 jobs

By: The Associated Press May 2, 2016 0

Quote:

The FBI is expanding its data center in eastern Idaho and bringing in 300 new jobs.

Pocatello Mayor Brian Blad announced April 28 that work is expected to begin this summer at the old Naval Ordnance Plant on the city’s north side. Work would likely be finished by the spring of 2017 in turning the FBI Pocatello building into what Blad called “a major hub” for the federal agency.

“This is a great economic win for Pocatello,” Blad said.

Bannock Development Corp. Executive Director John Regetz told the Idaho State Journal that the $10 million for the project would bring an immediate boost to the local economy. He said the jobs would have an average wage of $60,000 annually.

The Pocatello FBI center provides communications and database support for FBI agents throughout the country. It opened in 1985.

Regetz said the project had the support of Idaho’s congressional delegation and that Idaho Power helped make sure the FBI would have the necessary capacity of 5.4 megawatts of electric power.

Read more: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...#ixzz47W07pI62

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:23 PM
Honored Member

Initial Redeployment Proposals in for both Properties in Downtown Idaho Falls

These won't be complete as the Redevelopment Agency (RDA) of Idaho Falls granted another month for each company to list all sub-contractors, parking and community use for each proposal submitted. With those disclaimers here is what we know:

The Kelsch Property at the corner of Broadway and Memorial Dr., directly across from the Snake River and the former home of The Savings Center has a proposal from Oppenheimer Development from Boise. This is different than I would have thought, but sounds interesting.

Oppenheimer would divide the property inot three sections. The first adjacent to Broadway and high traffic counts would be a single story building all for retail and restaurants. The second building would be on the A street and Memorial Dr. It would have the first floor as retail, the second as office space and the third as apartments. I know the RDA was hoping for more apartments at this location, but the design and other factors yielded a different plan.

It may be the final third of the property, the space between the two buildings, as the gem they couldn't overlook, IDK. The space between the buildings could serve as a community gathering space. Potentially an ice rink in the winter, there would be a permanent water design tying it back to the river. Concerts and other community activities could occur during the summer. This is me speculating, but I would guess outdoor seating for cafes, restaurants and shoppers would be available.

On the Bonneville Hotel, which is one block from the Bonneville County Courthouse and on the Registry of Historic Buildings. So all plans must include some room on the first floor for the general public. We've not seen those details yet. Two developers from Boise submitted the most complete plans and not very different. Thomas Development proposes Retail and restaurants on the first floor, offices on the second and a mixture of studio, 1-2 bedroom apts. on the other three floors.

The Housing Company, a Boise-based developer would work with a Pocatello architect and Idaho Falls Contractor. They propose Commercial/Retail on the first floor and residential for the remaining four floors with a variety of Suites, 1-2 bedroom apartments. I know the RDA had hoped for condos somewhere but no one opted for them.

The final plan comes from Wymeir from Coeur 'd Alene. Unfortunately their details aren't available yet.

All those companies have about a month to submit the final details. Construction is anticipated to start later this year.

Grand Teton, no media references to include yet. This isn't just me. These details were released on a private website today. Hopefully we'll see renderings and more from the media soon.

Any thoughts about the designs, companies etc.?

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:56 PM
Honored Member

Ķelsch Redevelopment

http://www.localnews8.com/news/Plans...Falls/39634644

The drawing for Kelsch redevelopment. It will start in 2016 and be a done a year later. Mostly commercial by the river, most of us are puzzled how come there is only one story of apartments.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:24 AM
Honored Member

Kelsch Redevelopment

This link should take you to the proposed Oppenheimer plan for Kelsch. I started laughing seeing Morgan Construction, Steve Carr and T.L.O. as involved with the project. This is Boise's entrance to downtown Idaho Falls.

Check out the design. It looks better than it sounded. Besides, three key components: For the retail space (Bldg. 1) Oppenheimer already has two interested tenants. Secondly, the second building can be increased to five stories. There are many reasons to keep this gateway building at three. Look at the adjacent buildings. New proposals for two or three have been floated for years.

I hope you like it as the documents were signed. My hunch is construction can't start until 2017 due to Morgan Construction projects. For those worried it might look hodge podge, remember Morgan built the new Ford center about 2-3 blocks away. Morgan is also building the new fire station #1 about 5-6 blocks northeast. Morgan's buildings always flow.

BTW, at three stories, Condos are proposed for floor three. If a fourth and/or a fifth story/it's are built, it's unclear if those floors would be condos or apartments.

http://www.idahofallsidaho.gov/wwwro...eal_estate.pdf

Happy Viewing

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:21 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post

Keep em coming!
That would have been funny, GT, had it not been such a battle today with the person's post you commented on. Not sure why my comments were removed with not addressing OP'S post, yet the other two good guys and the idiot's were removed. Well the idiot I understand.

I don't deserve this from you. My Kelsch post here doesn't have all the info.

This isn't fun, especially today. It would be different had the jerk not beaten the crap out of me for saying you had the right to post, among other things.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
That would have been funny, GT, had it not been such a battle today with the person's post you commented on. Not sure why my comments were removed with not addressing OP'S post, yet the other two good guys and the idiot's were removed. Well the idiot I understand.

I don't deserve this from you. My Kelsch post here doesn't have all the info.

This isn't fun, especially today. It would be different had the jerk not beaten the crap out of me for saying you had the right to post, among other things.
I don't know what you're talking about N2IF. Thanks for posting additional information about Broadway and Memorial. I really hope developments like it take hold in IF. There are plenty of parking lots just waiting for redevelopment.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 7:34 PM

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...n-in-the-fall/

Largest climbing gym in Idaho set to open in the fall
By: Benton Alexander Smith

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 7:37 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/s...e87904892.html

Yellowstone-bound Chinese tourists boost East Idaho economy

Idaho Falls hospitality businesses adapt to language, cultural hurdles

Boom is taxing area hotel rooms

Businesses start offering information in written Chinese

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/s...e87904892.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West