HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Quick question.. Will MIX be extended to meet water street and have an entrance on both Duckworth and Water? I don't remember this being the case but seeing how there is no building in that stretch of water street got me wondering. It would be fantastic if they did
I wondered that too and I agree that it would be a fantastic idea however the last I heard about that empty lot was that it was purchased by the Credit Union next door after the restaurant fire. That's not to say that the CU wouldn't be open to "flipping" the property to the Mix developers...we can only hope.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 4:49 PM

I saw on the front page of the Telegram the other day that the developer says that any rumors of the project being stalled or shelved are absolutely incorrect .. and they go on to explain where they are in construction. They will finish the garage before other renovations. (also apparently mirador will end up being the highest residential building in the city .. you dont really realize that until you look at how high this garage is from duckworth)

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I saw on the front page of the Telegram the other day that the developer says that any rumors of the project being stalled or shelved are absolutely incorrect .. and they go on to explain where they are in construction. They will finish the garage before other renovations. (also apparently mirador will end up being the highest residential building in the city .. you dont really realize that until you look at how high this garage is from duckworth)
Someone didn't red the previous page...

And I really don't get how they say Mirador will be the tallest residential building. I don't believe it will be taller than Tiffany, and most definitely won't be taller than the 16 story Tiffany twins which will likely be built before Mirador. Also, looking at the renderings (even though they are outdated) even Marconi looks taller by a few feet. So unless they are planning to propose more floors on Mirador in the future, there is no way it's going to be the tallest residential building in the city.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 7:42 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post

And I really don't get how they say Mirador will be the tallest residential building. I don't believe it will be taller than Tiffany, . .
It probably would be the tallest technically if built right now, at least as tall as the existing Tiffany. Prior to that the tallest (not incl. Southcott Hall) was Elizabeth Towers, which was built during the Smallwood/Vietnam War era, when Lyndon B. Johnson was president of the USA, and Pierre Trudeau had just been elected as Canadian PM. (i.e. a long time ago).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 2:13 PM

Does anyone have any updates on this project? There still doesn't seem to be much activitiy on Mix or Marconi. I know it is the winter and all, but for a project that was aiming to be open by fall of last year, there doesn't seem to be any progress. Lack of sales perhaps? The last update on the website is September 2012....

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 2:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Not much change, no.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:24 PM

Still no building permits issued. I think that if this project actually starts, you're looking at a 2017 occupancy in the earliest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/proposed-condos-still-covered-with-graffiti-smashed-windows-1.2534212?cmp=rss

-------------------------------------
Proposed condos still covered with graffiti, smashed windows

Although the website promises luxurious living in downtown St. John's — two buildings slated to be condos are in the same condition they were two years ago.

The sign on the side of the former Newfoundland Telephone building on Duckworth Street reads 'opening fall 2013.'

The building was supposed to be transformed into a 77-unit condominium by now, however it remains covered in graffiti with smashed-in windows.
Graffiti on side of former Newfoundland Telephone building

The old Newfoundland Telephone building remains covered in graffiti with smashed-in windows. (CBC)

According to the Hardman Group, one of the project's developers, they still need to get a building permit before it goes to tender.

"It's taken quite a while to complete the architectural design work," spokesperson Colin Whitcomb said.

It is the same situation across the street — at the former CBC Radio building.

Whitcomb said that building, which will be known as 'Marconi,' with 50 condos, is closer to construction.

He admits for work to begin, other pieces need to be in place.

"It's not so simple as a number of units - it's a financial number that we have to reach in order for us to get under way in construction. I'm pretty confident we will get there this year."

Whitcomb added that as more time passes, the more money the company loses — but said the project is not threatened.

An adjacent parking garage under construction by the developers, called the Mirador, is slated to open this summer.

----------------------------------------

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd be so pissed if I was one of the earlier buyers.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:02 PM

Red face

So what I get from that is we're looking at a 2015 spring start date for Marconi and probably spring 2016 start date for MIX. Absoulutly rediclous construction time for an undeniably great project. Probably no occupancy until at least 2018 and probably much later if they continue on their same pace of construction.. I feel bad for people that already bought units. Even though the developer claims the project is not in jeopardy, the amount of money the company is loosing for a half decade of delays is not likely a small amount!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:38 PM

I sure hope this is just a bump in the road for this project and not the end of it.

This might be my knee-jerk reaction but I blame the City. The reason there is no permit yet is because the condition of that permit was that the parking garage had to be finished first. If they had allowed conversion of the buildings in conjunction with the construction of the garage perhaps things might be moving along faster.

Another factor is that many potential buyers might like to see something a bit further along before committing. I would guess that it is only speculators who have bought in at this point, and they are probably hedging their bets.

I hope the Hardman Group doesn't get cold feet. They are probably just playing it smart and taking their time to protect their investment. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I sure hope this is just a bump in the road for this project and not the end of it.

This might be my knee-jerk reaction but I blame the City. The reason there is no permit yet is because the condition of that permit was that the parking garage had to be finished first. If they had allowed conversion of the buildings in conjunction with the construction of the garage perhaps things might be moving along faster.

Another factor is that many potential buyers might like to see something a bit further along before committing. I would guess that it is only speculators who have bought in at this point, and they are probably hedging their bets.

I hope the Hardman Group doesn't get cold feet. They are probably just playing it smart and taking their time to protect their investment. Fingers crossed.
Quote:
"It's taken quite a while to complete the architectural design work," spokesperson Colin Whitcomb said.

'He admits for work to begin, other pieces need to be in place.

It's not so simple as a number of units - it's a financial number that we have to reach in order for us to get under way in construction. I'm pretty confident we will get there this year."
Not sure if it is the city to blame based on these statements. Sounds like they aren't in the financial situation yet based on sales. Perhaps they haven't even applied for all necessary permits yet because it is taking longer for the design drawings to be completed. Can't get a permit without plans.

Either way, I find this upsetting. I was so looking forward to this getting underway soon so we don't have to look at those ugly, piece of shit buildings anymore

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:44 AM

Having the two ruins of buildings downtown is an abomination. Building permits NEED to be issued, if this developer can't afford to develop right now they need to offload this property! Having two massive eyesores in the heart of the capital city is a disgrace!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 11:03 AM

^Agreed. I really need this group to get these projects done because to be quite honest, I'm not sure if anyone else would be willing to tackle this huge task. NewTel shouldn't even be standing it's in that bad of shape and the work required to fix everything wrong with the building is unreal. CBC was already gutted so I imagine that wouldn't be as difficult of a project to complete.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:42 PM

My God this is taking forever to build! I usually drive by MetroPark at least once a week and the progress from week to week is almost nil. I think they have three guys trying to build the whole thing…lol.

I realize that the method of construction between this and the 351 Parking garage were very different for a number of reason but there is something to be said for the prefab method used at 351.

There is a picture on Page 1 of this thread posted Apr 22, 2012 that shows excavation underway; that puts the construction at two years and counting. Slow and steady is NOT winning this race. If we are lucky it might be finished by late Fall and who knows when the Mix and/or Marconi might be finished.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
My God this is taking forever to build! I usually drive by MetroPark at least once a week and the progress from week to week is almost nil. I think they have three guys trying to build the whole thing…lol.

I realize that the method of construction between this and the 351 Parking garage were very different for a number of reason but there is something to be said for the prefab method used at 351.

There is a picture on Page 1 of this thread posted Apr 22, 2012 that shows excavation underway; that puts the construction at two years and counting. Slow and steady is NOT winning this race. If we are lucky it might be finished by late Fall and who knows when the Mix and/or Marconi might be finished.
Yes I was down there today, I have yet to see a worker on site for MIX. The whole area looks sad to be honest. St. John's may be the ugliest capital city in Canada at the moment. It almost seems that the city DOES NOT CARE! I don't see any pothole crews out, it should be illegal how bad it is right now. It is dangerous! Also downtown you have destroyed sidewalks, gravel everywhere, garbage! No sidewalks. It really makes me sad! The city needs a full time crew to make this city look good!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 3:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, it's been rough for potholes across the federation. Toronto has twice as many as normal, and Winnipeg is ruined.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:34 PM

Potholes can't be prevented, only patched as quickly as possible. We can't defy physics here (sadly).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Potholes can't be prevented, only patched as quickly as possible. We can't defy physics here (sadly).
I know that. St. John's should have a pothole crew and a clean up crew fixing downtown right now! But there are none to be seen. I have worked on patching crews before. Putting in cold asphalt only takes a minute. When the weather improves they can tear up existing asphalt and put new stuff in. They should look into putting concrete inlays for sidewalks so they can "survive" winter. Since it is the downtown of the capital I thought it would get some priority.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 12:01 PM

“Build it and they will come”, I wonder if that would apply to this complex? I realize that it would be a major commitment to tie money up in proceeding with finishing these buildings, with the soft condo market right now, but I firmly believe that if prospective owners could see that progress is being made they may step forward and start buying.

To me, this development is unlike any others either underway or proposed, it “should” appeal to a different demographic than the four story “retirement” condos by golf courses and in quieter neighbourhoods. The units in The Mix are smaller, more to the liking of single professionals.

On a positive note, I think they poured another truckload of cement for the garage this week…lol…hey, it’s progress!!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:13 AM

I have been looking around for a condo to purchase in the St. John's area lately. Unfortunately when I inquired about this project. I was informed by real-estate agents that the Mix project has now been cancelled. Marconi is still a go as of now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's