HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

West Energy Tower at City Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Midland Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 12:07 AM
welcome to the madness

It give Midland Buffalo NY's HSBC tower effect, and ours is even shorter than that one. It's also worth noting that HSBC tower is soon to be vacant. But then again the Permian Basin is definitely not WNY economically speaking...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 8:05 AM

OKC's skyline today is like Charlotte's 20 years ago, but this proposal is even more disproportional. Two 400-footers would look a lot better.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 11:45 AM

"Mixed-use buildings are much more sustainable," said Edmonds, who hopes the tower creates a social network downtown. "When you go vertical, you make less of a footprint."
The philosophy of Edmonds International is that form follows not only function but also efficiency, according to its website.

Edmonds said he founded his firm 14 years ago and since then has designed more than 60 million square feet in buildings across the world, in places such as Mexico and Asia. In Asia, mixed-use buildings have been built because of tight budgets, he said.

But now his firm is shifting focus onto North American cities such as Vancouver and Midland to design mixed-use buildings for the Western world.

Read more: Architect: 'Energy Tower starts ripple effect of downtown activity' - Mywesttexas.com: Top Stories http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stori...#ixzz2POrLOhew
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 12:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

sore thumb.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 10:42 PM

The developer is hosting an event April 4, 2013 to provide more information on the project. New renderings, models, etc. will also be presented.

http://cbs7.com/news/details.asp?ID=43623

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 8:42 AM

Image provided at Midland Reporter Telegram

With the search for tenants underway, developers of the 53-story Energy Tower at City Center said they are “good” on having 20 to 40 percent of the building’s office space leased out to companies, but negotiations are still ongoing with those groups.

The percentage range puts developer Energy Related Properties near the 30 percent requirement that the city of Midland mandates for the deed to be handed over from the city to the developer.

Read more: Energy Tower developer says 20-40 percent of office space locked down - Mywesttexas.com: Top Stories http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stori...#ixzz2PTxk89Mz

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 8:50 AM
Global Citizen

A 265m skyscraper in a city with a population of only 110,000 looks really out of place.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:36 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
A 265m skyscraper in a city with a population of only 110,000 looks really out of place.
Well, to be fair, the Midland-Odessa area (which long-term is really the metric you should look at given that as both grow, they'll quite clearly grow together with Midland - which by my saying so will undoubtedly piss any Odessans here off - as the economic hub of the region as it has a historic downtown business core than Odessa pretty much lacks) is probably more accurate, even if it doesn't change the out of place factor you mention: 295,987 (2011 census estimate for the two county area). The population projection for these two counties for 2020 by the Texas Comptroller's Office (which historically has been decently accurate) in the high growth scenario (which seems to be the most appropriate in this instance given both the Hispanic boom and the oil driven boom) is probably even two low itself: 319,207 (They're well on pace to hit at least 10,000 above that, if not more).

Long-term, the two cities will probably be half a mil or more by mid-century, which, though not gigantic, is still impressive relative to the area of the country it's in (I.E. empty).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:51 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I really don't think you even have to explain the population. If the tower makes economic sense, it'll happen. It's actually pretty interesting to see that this is less fantastical for this area than many people assume. If it's "out of place" it'll just have to be out of place, because that's not at all what's going to dictate whether this is built or not in a town like Midland.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 1:20 PM

I think it's fantastic myself. Go, Midland!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 2:20 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I really don't think you even have to explain the population. If the tower makes economic sense, it'll happen. It's actually pretty interesting to see that this is less fantastical for this area than many people assume. If it's "out of place" it'll just have to be out of place, because that's not at all what's going to dictate whether this is built or not in a town like Midland.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I think it's fantastic myself. Go, Midland!
And I agree.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 6:39 PM
Meh

There are other cities even outside of the US that have tall buildings contrasted against few others or none at all. One that comes to mind for me especially is Turning Torso in Malmo.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:32 PM

I would have rather like to see two 500 footers to provide density, but you have to start somewhere and this is a good start.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That's nearly 900 ft, and not bad. Something like this could encourage more development in the area around it. It would be a local landmark, for sure.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:08 AM

Image provided at KWES

Meyer says that he hopes this tower can become Midland's staple, like the Empire State Building in New York City.

The Energy Tower will be right in the middle of downtown, where the county courthouse currently stands.

"We're going to replace the courthouse with a building that's will increase our downtown by three times it's value," Midland Mayor, Wes Perry, said.

Read more here...

Last edited by tgannaway89; Apr 5, 2013 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:27 AM

Check out this animation of the building:

http://youtu.be/H75mYDI7-lw

Last edited by tgannaway89; Apr 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:48 AM
Everywhere all at once

If memory serves, I don't believe I've yet made any commentary about this, but I just want to go on record as saying that I'm totally FOR this. If they can get the tenants to fill this tower, why on earth isn't Midland entitled to its very own landmark skyscraper? I think we can all agree that we'd rather see cities emerge in this way, rather than gaining prominence through endless sprawl (looking at you Mesa AZ, San Jose, Colorado Springs, West Valley City UT, Santa Clarita CA...etc. etc. etc.) Props to Midland and the new era of building big

P.S. Maybe Midland can become enough of a big deal that Texas will find an excuse to build I-27 south from Lubbock.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 8:29 AM

“We thought, if we’re going to do a project, as Michael Edmonds pointed out, you could have done separate buildings,” Jacobs said. “I don’t think it would have dramatically impacted the cost, but it would have had less of an impact. So we figured we put them all together.

Read more: Architect, developers reveal site design for Energy Tower - Mywesttexas.com: Top Stories http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stori...#ixzz2PZkIIhhg

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:23 PM

Wow, go for it Midland, what a great opportunity for your downtown. I would much prefer to see this than a giant suburban office complex, that we get all over the US.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:25 PM

I love the look of this tower. It is aesthetically pleasing. I just don't know about the context. But it being in the early stages of planning design and height might change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects