HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:16 PM

[Dartmouth] 335-353 Portland Street | ? m | 10 fl | Proposed

Proposal by T.A. Scott Architecture & Design Ltd on behalf of Sunset Towers Ltd for a 10-storey mixed-use building at 335-353 Portland Street. The plan is for 163 dwelling units and 2'500 sq ft of commercial space. The site is 200 metres west of Lakefront Drive and it backs onto HRM parkland surrounding Maynard Lake.

Case 20387 Details

Rendering from halifax.ca link above

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:49 PM

A traffic nightmare on Portland Street in the making.... I'm glad I live downtown.
The street is one long tailback after 4pm ( don't know what it is like in the morning).
I don't think the residents of Brenton will be happy.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
A traffic nightmare on Portland Street in the making.... I'm glad I live downtown.
The street is one long tailback after 4pm ( don't know what it is like in the morning).
I don't think the residents of Brenton will be happy.
Sounds like there is a need for a third harbour crossing...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Sounds like there is a need for a third harbour crossing...
Humour is good.
Nope. Better transit is the answer to the one occupant car, although better transit and $2.50 a litre gas would alleviate the 'stress' of the commute.
Or move downtown near me - we are open to extravagant offers for our 1917 home.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Humour is good.
Nope. Better transit is the answer to the one occupant car, although better transit and $2.50 a litre gas would alleviate the 'stress' of the commute.
Or move downtown near me - we are open to extravagant offers for our 1917 home.
Humour is good. Some days it's all that keeps me going...

A third crossing could improve transit as well - a win-win as they say.

DTD? Been there, done that. I actually lived on your street from 1968 - 1996. Swam in the pool at Dillman Park before it was even called that (back when there was a pool). Played baseball on the diamond behind BiHi, attended all the schools within a 10 minute walk from home. I watched the old Dartmouth arena burn down from Bill Lynch's fair (where McDonald's is now on Nantucket). Played street hockey while dodging the cars zooming through to take a shorcut by avoiding some of the bridge traffic. Shopped on Portland Street at the old Met, went to the Owl Drug Store, Myer's Sports Store, Jacobson's, Fisher's Stationery, etc. Zeller's in the Dartmouth Shopping Centre was most popular before they opened Mic Mac Mall. We went to the Dominion Store there for most of our groceries. I walked the neighbourhood more times than I can imagine, pretty much knew every crack in the sidewalk. Commuted to Halifax for many years by all the standard methods - walk, ferry, bike, bus and car. It's a great neighbourhood.

That being said, these days I barely use the bridges at all, but i can see how it would be of benefit to others to improve transportation for all. People have to go places, it's part of our make-up, and we should make it possible to do it as well as possible with an eye to the future.

Don't get me wrong, I don't live with delusions. I've been known to kiss the ground after getting off the plane from Toronto. I've experienced traffic at its pinnacle and I've experienced good transit as well. Knowing that, I think Halifax could do well to not let itself get into the bind that other larger cities have fallen into through lack of foresight.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:23 PM

This is a horrible proposal. It comes from the same architect that brought us the lovely and never built IrishTown Rd. proposal...

Sometimes I wish planning staff had the ability when a development of this calibre is put on their desk to just put it through the shredder.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth