HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Regarding Ryanrule post above, the townhomes, or single family homes placed along river there are to bring down scale along pedestrian path. You could argue it would be better left as landscaping or park space, but I do not mind having a lower scale building with rich materiality contributing the pedestrian path. Stepping the scale down in this manner using townhomes was done pretty well by River View project on north side of river just west of old Spire site. In that case, the town homes also had the added benefit of covering up a 4 story parking garage. It's not a comment on the specific architecture details in that case, but more the planning on massing concept.
I would like a continuation of density along the river. Both sides. Removed the stupid pd on the west side.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 10:05 PM

Is the cladding on the podium of 4 E Elm pre-cast or stone?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Fuck that... Townhouses are NIMBY incubators and I say this as an architectural tour guide on the Chicago River that has has to hear about the whiny bitchy people who've complained about both the smell from Bloomers and the noise from tour boats on the north branch.

I just don't have time for that bullshit.
I don't see what they'll realistically be able to object to once it's built out since all the other empty land bordered buy Harrison/Clark/Roosevelt is either occupied or spoken for. It's not like they'll be able to force the rail yard or postal service across the river to move or cease operation. Pretty meh on this since CMK clearly doesn't want to go back to the city in order to amend the River City PD for more units.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I don't see what they'll realistically be able to object to once it's built out since all the other empty land bordered buy Harrison/Clark/Roosevelt is either occupied or spoken for. It's not like they'll be able to force the rail yard or postal service across the river to move or cease operation. Pretty meh on this since CMK clearly doesn't want to go back to the city in order to amend the River City PD for more units.
The town-homes BVic refers to were built after Blommers, and after the river.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The riverwalk has to dead-end. CMK doesn't own the property south of Roosevelt. Where is the riverwalk going to go?

I believe there will be vertical access up to Roosevelt provided inside the tower, but I'm not sure if that will be closer to the river or Wells.

Hopefully something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8444...7i13312!8i6656
A connection to Roosevelt, and some thought towards a future connection under Roosevelt when the area to the south is developed, is what I'm looking for.

With the render as it is, we can't even tell if the building is going to abut Roosevelt directly, or be set back like the building in your French example. If it is set back like that, I'd think the river walk should include a route back to Wells on the south side of the tower, so that you can go as far as possible along the river, and perhaps pass under the viaduct behind the bridge mechanism in the future (Is the alternative, an under-bridge, even possible with the width of the river there? I don't know).

I like what we've actually seen of this project for the most part (density could stand to be higher, but if they want to use only the existing PD, oh well), but I'm worried by what we haven't been shown: views from Roosevelt or Wells. Addressing the river well is a great bonus, but addressing the adjacent streets well is basic prerequisite to a good urban development.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
A connection to Roosevelt, and some thought towards a future connection under Roosevelt when the area to the south is developed, is what I'm looking for.
Yep. Totally. Imagine if the riverwalk extended to Ping Tom Park in Chinatown. Take a nice summer walk along the lake from downtown and then top it off with some Chinese food.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
1/3

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
The town-homes BVic refers to were built after Blommers, and after the river.
It quite literally doesn't matter in Illinois unless you are talking about farmland.

That's why the city has to protect the service and manufacturing zoning. One residential unit in those zones can kill the entire thing via nuisance lawsuits.

Illinois is the only state in the US that doesn't believe in the "coming to the nuisance" doctrine.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:

Also the little moat between the mid rise and the townhomes is interesting. That may be at chore to keep clean.
That ain't happening in a million billion years, city code or whatever won't allow it, especially without handrails for safety! And I don't think you can change the shoreline without congressional approval right?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:01 PM
BANNED

I hate 4 E Elm in toto. What a disaster.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:02 PM
Urbane observer

^At most, I think you just need Corps of Engineers signoff to dig (or fill) a slip entering private property. Chicago has had many such in its history (including the marina at River City), and many others have been filled in recent decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep. Totally. Imagine if the riverwalk extended to Ping Tom Park in Chinatown.
Don't worry, it will. Now imagine if Riverside Drive (Wells-Wentworth) were a pleasant, walkable boulevard instead of an auto sewer of minimum dimensions and no parking.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:11 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
especially without handrails for safety!
Rivers don't have shores, they have banks.

As for handrails, you apparently have yet to visit the new riverwalk.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Rivers don't have shores, they have banks.

As for handrails, you apparently have yet to visit the new riverwalk.
the riverwalk is ADA compliant... 100% sure that the rendering shown is not

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:57 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
a) that rending hardly shows the riverwalk large enough to be 100% certain about much of anything related to it

b) really not sure what you're seeing or not seeing in the render to conclude that it's "100% not ADA compliant" as I don't see anything about it that makes it different from other river-proximate walkways built over the past 10 years.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Illinois is the only state in the US that doesn't believe in the "coming to the nuisance" doctrine.

That is not even remotely true. Illinois, like most states as well as the 2nd Restatement of Torts, recognizes that "coming to the nuisance" is only a factor to consider with regards to relief. The case used by my Torts textbook back in lawschool to illustrate was the feedlot case in Arizona (Spur Industries v. Del E. Webb) where housing developments were built adjacent to a long-operating feedlot (the result being that the housing developer must compensate the feedlot operator for modifying, moving, or shutting down its operation). Coming to the nuisance is not, with the exception of Right to Farm laws*, a bar to recovery in a private nuisance action.

*Right to Farm laws are not impervious however given Iowa's was struck down as an unconstitutional taking under the 5th Amendment (reason being that it effectively constituted a grant of a permanent easement to benefit the farmer against adjacent parcels without compensation).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Evanston News:

Quote:
27-story tower proposed for Davis
By Bill Smith on January 5, 2016 - 11:53am

Evanston city officials are reviewing a proposal to build a 27-story, 217-unit rental apartment building on the northwest corner of Davis Street and Chicago Avenue.

Community Development Director Mark Muenzer says the plan calls for preserving the landmark two-story University Building on the corner. The construction site includes the vacant lot just west of the University Building and the Chase Bank drive-thru to the west of that.

The project, proposed by Vermilion Development of Chicago, would also include 20,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and 176 parking spaces.

- See more at: http://evanstonnow.com/story/real-es....n3KrXxQy.dpuf

this sounds promising. the historic 2 story building on the corner gets saved and the vacant lot and underused drive-up bank lanes to the west get redeveloped into a residential tower with 20,000 SF of activity-generating retail.

i hope this redevelopment proposal goes through, but knowing evanston........

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:12 PM
TL;DR

Good.

I really like the little pavilion and garden with the Lyfe Kitchen, glad to see that's staying put. That and Fountain Plaza provide a nice bit of breathing room in downtown Evanston, but I'll be glad to have a shiny new highrise going up to the east.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, the Riverwalk is NOT strictly ADA compliant... the city, being the government, did not need to make it so...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:52 PM

Quote:
I like what we've actually seen of this project for the most part (density could stand to be higher, but if they want to use only the existing PD, oh well), but I'm worried by what we haven't been shown: views from Roosevelt or Wells. Addressing the river well is a great bonus, but addressing the adjacent streets well is basic prerequisite to a good urban development.
That is concerning. Is there nothing that shows how this integrates into the city? For example, a site plan (similar to that for LSE)...
Would also be interesting to know how much will be publicly accessible vs. "gated." One image depicts a pedestrian path through what appears to be a mid-rise, but that may be a resident path.
I am always leery of any large sub-divisions

Last edited by VKChaz; Jan 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

more on that newly proposed Evanston highrise:

Quote:
New tower would be among (Evanston's) tallest
By Bill Smith on January 6, 2016 - 10:36am

Plans for a new high-rise building in the 600 block of Davis street call for creating one of the tallest structures in Evanston.

The developer's proposal to the city indicates that at a total of 280 feet, including the mechanical penthouse, the new mixed-use retail and rental apartment building would be slightly shorter than the Chase Bank tower at 1603 Orrington and the Sherman Plaza condo development.

Other sources list the Chase Bank tower as 280 feet tall and the Sherman Plaza building as 276 feet tall, but those measurements typically exclude the mechanical penthouse.

- See more at: http://evanstonnow.com/story/real-es....tpkSXGOf.dpuf
a rendering of the proposed building is available at the link above. tower on parking podium. not horrible, but not that great either. at least it's got a good bit of ground floor street-facing retail.

i don't like that a curb cut for the drive-up banking will remain, but at least it's being drastically reduced, so that's something, i guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations