HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:16 AM

QLine opens 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Quote:
QLine funders, other backers get ride on Woodward as streetcar dream nears fruition
By DUSTIN WALSH. Crain's Detroit. April 27, 2017.

After nearly 11 years of planning, countless setbacks and finally solving a $187 million funding puzzle, Detroit's new QLine streetcar system on Thursday ferried many of its biggest boosters down Woodward Avenue for the first time.

M-1 Rail's QLine isn't open to the public until May 12, but its funders, along with supporters and government officials, rode the 6.6-mile loop Thursday.

M-1 organizers now believe the QLine could create economic benefits of 40 to 60 times the original investment for the area around the line in the next 10 years, (Matt) Cullen said.

But the QLine faces challenges. Voters rejected in November a four-county transit tax for Regional Transit Authority funding, which was expecting to take over funding of M-1 Rail in 2027.

The current estimate to operate the streetcar service is pegged at $5.8 million annually. Organizers vow to continue private funding of the service until another RTA vote reaches the ballot. Cullen previously told Crain's that M-1 has enough funds earmarked for operations through 2022.

Ridership in the first calendar year is expected to reach 1.8 million, and 5 million within five years, M-1 Rail organizers predict.

A basic one-way fare is $1.50. Yearly and other types of passes, including fare cards that link to other transit systems, are expected.

The streetcar system will operate 6 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 6 a.m.-midnight on Friday, 8 a.m.-midnight on Saturday and 8 a.m.-8 p.m. on Sunday.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...treetcar-dream

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ wow that is really something. i'll have to give it spin sometime when i come out to watch the tribe beat the tigers. i was always a fan of the people mover there and in miami, although I'm glad they didn't build one in cleveland as was once planned. so this is a great addition and hopefully the start of more rail transit to come for detroit.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Gordie Howe International Bridge construction to begin in summer 2018
By Dana Afana. MLive Detroit. April 28, 2017.

Construction of the Gordie Howe International Bridge is expected to begin in the summer of 2018, project board members announced Friday at an annual meeting.

The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority is expected to select a private contractor by May or June of 2018 and construction will begin shortly after, CEO Michael Cautillo said.

The authority is still pursuing acquisition of property needed for construction on the U.S. side.

The bridge authority has funded the acquisition of 351 Detroit properties, but has only obtained 60 percent of the land needed on the U.S. side thus far, Cautillo said.

Some of the remaining land is owned by competitor Manuel "Matty" Moroun, owner of the Ambassador Bridge, according to Windsor Star.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...sor/101059990/

The Canadian Port of Entry is already under construction as evident by recent Google satellite images.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 3:17 PM
somewhere in-between

^ I was thinking about starting a separate thread for this, under transportation. But then I realized (when you posted this) that this thread is for ALL detroit-related transportation, not just the QLine. It will be interesting to watch this one develop.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 3:55 PM

Is that the final render? Is it really going to be a suspension bridge and not a cable-stayed bridge?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Is that the final render? Is it really going to be a suspension bridge and not a cable-stayed bridge?
Both are just conceptual designs but it will be either a cable-stayed or suspension bridge. The design will supposedly be finalized when the private contractor gets selected and right before construction gets started.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
^ I was thinking about starting a separate thread for this, under transportation. But then I realized (when you posted this) that this thread is for ALL detroit-related transportation, not just the QLine. It will be interesting to watch this one develop.
Probably when construction starts, a separate thread would be good for the bridge, but yea overall there's just not much going on in Detroit transportation-wise aside from the QLine.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:11 AM
Detroit Love

Meet MoGo, Detroit’s new bike share

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/4/26...e-detroit-mogo

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 12:38 AM

T-Minus 1 week to grand opening. Rides on the QLine will be free opening weekend. 90 various businesses located along the QLine will also be offering discounts in conjunction with the grand opening. This has pretty much become a holiday in it of itself.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in.../05/qline.html

http://m-1rail.com/qline-grand-opening-celebration/

Media members have already been getting rides so there's already a couple of videos up from the inside.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 4:09 PM

The QLine has the capability to be expanded but as always with transit projects, it's a matter of funding.

Quote:
QLine expansion needs a champion, money
By BILL SHEA. Crain's Detroit. May 7, 2017.

It took a decade to get the QLine from an idea on paper to a streetcar on rails.

The project survived amid the city's political scandals and a historic municipal bankruptcy, and weathered an effort by the city, state and federal government to kill it in favor of more buses.

Expanding the QLine to run farther north on Woodward Avenue, or on spur routes elsewhere in the city, may be a simpler and less costly endeavor, the system's CEO said, as the line prepares to start ferrying the public this Friday.

"The next ones aren't as expensive," Matt Cullen said. "We had a lot more complexity."

What he means is that the nearly $200 million to get the $6.6-mile QLine loop designed, built and running also provides much of the infrastructure needed for expansion. For example, already built is the 19,000-square-foot Penske Technical Center in the New Center neighborhood. The $6.9 million facility serves as the maintenance, storage and operations nexus for QLine, and would for any expansion.

Also already paid for are the designs for any additional streetcars, although the fleet of six likely could support a modest extension of the line.

"Within 10 years, I would not be surprised if there are a couple of connector spokes," said Cullen, who added that the QLine was intended to be a demonstration project and part of a wider public commuter transit system that includes city and suburban bus systems and Amtrak.

Aside from more tracks north on Woodward, possible candidates for streetcar service include Monroe Street in Greektown, and Jefferson Avenue, which has population density and economic development potential.

But any expansion faces major hurdles: "Who's the champion of that? Where's the money come from?" Cullen said.

Cullen said the demand and economic case are there for adding service, but there's nothing formally in the works from M-1 beyond getting the QLine running.

"We as a board have not signed on for any additional tasks," Cullen said.

One transit insider said demand will fuel the political will for expansion, especially beyond the city.

"I hope once people have a chance to ride on it, to experience what convenience modern transit can really mean, more will say, 'Why don't we have this in Royal Oak and Troy and Grosse Pointe?,' and we'll have demand," said Megan Owens, executive director of Detroit-based Transportation Riders United.

That echoes what the QLine's founders have said all along.

"People get a chance to ride a modern transit system and see the convenience and service it provides, and they'll say 'What about us? Let's do more of this sort of thing,' whether it be light rail or bus-rapid transit or streetcar," said Leo Hanifin, dean emeritus at the University of Detroit Mercy's College of Engineering and Science, and an M-1 Rail board member who led the original streetcar study that became the QLine.

A long-term question that remains unanswered is how the system will be funded in the future. M-1 operating funding is available for several years of service, but the original intention was for the system to be absorbed and funded by the publicly funded regional transit authority. However, the RTA failed to win voter support for a transit tax in November.

Cullen said other options included seeking corporate donations, selling more advertising and reselling the naming rights. Quicken Loans in March 2016 announced it had bought the naming rights for $10 million over five years. Quicken Chairman Dan Gilbert is M-1 Rail's co-chairman, and Cullen is one of his top lieutenants.

The ideal operational funding solution, Cullen said, is the RTA getting a regional tax approved.

"We think there's a path to sustainability and it depends on what happens to the RTA," Cullen said.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...NEWS/170509858

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 11:12 PM

QLine is officially open for service.

Pictures from http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...assengers.html

Quote:
First passengers cram QLine streetcars during public debut
By KURT NAGL. Crain's Detroit. May 12, 2017.

Riders of Detroit's new QLine were all smiles Friday as they crammed into the streetcars and struggled to keep their balance navigating what was, to many, a foreign concept: rail line transit.

On the QLine's public debut Friday, people gathered at every one of the 12 stations on the 6.6-mile Woodward loop. Crowds grew more dense toward the downtown area.

"I feel like a tourist," said Roberta Sanders, 75, and a lifelong Detroiter. "I was one of the only people on the QLine for actual work."

Sanders does business downtown and said the QLine is sure to ease her everyday life. The New Center resident has a 15-minute walk to the Grand Boulevard stop, and from there she has access to much of downtown.

"Oh my goodness," she said, recalling when she first heard news the transit system was in the works. "I said, 'I'm going to be the first person on it.'"

She was one of the first and certainly not the only one with that idea.

"It's great for people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, and not everything in Detroit is like that," said Nikita Charisse, 45, herself a lifelong Detroiter.

Its biggest benefit will be saving time and money on parking, she said, echoing an opinion shared by many residents.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...g-public-debut

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:23 AM

The weather was perfect too!

Definity a proud day for the city!

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 10:42 PM
somewhere in-between

Free rides have been extended into next week (through May 21).

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 11:44 PM

Congrats to Motown !

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:12 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Free rides have been extended into next week (through May 21).
Quote:
Although numbers won’t be out until next week, anecdotal evidence has been that the QLINE has been very busy since it launched for the public on Friday.

Two of our writers used the QLINE to get to the office Friday and come back and it was still packed in the evening; on Saturday, doing interviews, almost every train for the couple of hours we were out was visually full.

There have been some initial issues. The unexpectedly high ridership has caused delays. Two of the streetcars were pulled out of service briefly for charging issues, and a car had to be towed off the tracks. Parking on the QLINE tracks could cost you $650 or more.

Initially, the QLINE was going to have free rides for just this opening weekend, but they’ve decided to continue free rides through May 21.
Well, well, well. Let's see how long we can keep this up. I remain skeptical that 6 cars will do the job (particularly since one or two of them is always held in reserve from my understanding) on game and event days, especially with the Pistons and the Wings sharing the new arena. I've heard on game days they plan to operate the service like a shuttle instead of running the full line, at least with some of the cars. I wonder if they'll just expect people to ride DDOT to pick up the slack on really busy days?

There is a crossover near the stadium, though, where they could keep normal service on one side of the street while using part of the other side to run the shuttle service.

Anyway, it's a good problem to have.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:29 AM

There's three home games at Comerica Park this week. They'll probably experiment with the event traffic and it's probably why it'll be free.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:57 PM
somewhere in-between

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it does tie-in to the Metro-area transportation discussion. The one-way Woodward Avenue loop in downtown Pontiac might be getting a step closer to a redesign. I found this article interesting and informative, having been 'out of the loop' so to speak, on what has been going on in Pontiac in general.

Who knows? Maybe one day the QLine will extend all the way to downtown Pontiac.

Undoing the 'catastrophic mistake' of Pontiac's Woodward Loop
Second Wave Media / Metro Mode, Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The City's preferred plan for redesign:

Image Source: Metro Mode

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:40 PM
Registered Ugly

Although I do hope that transit continues to improve in Detroit, I have a really hard time imagining the QLine going 30 miles out to downtown Pontiac. This is mostly because of the system chosen.

Here in Oregon, it currently takes almost an hour to go from downtown Portland to Hillsboro on the MAX Blue Line, which is about 17 miles. This light rail system has limited stops compared to the street car, has its own dedicated right of way, grade crossings, and goes about 55-60 mph on longer stretches between stations outside of downtown. It would probably take the QLine more than 3 hours to get out to Pontiac if everything went smoothly along the way.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:50 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Although I do hope that transit continues to improve in Detroit, I have a really hard time imagining the QLine going 30 miles out to downtown Pontiac. This is mostly because of the system chosen.

Here in Oregon, it currently takes almost an hour to go from downtown Portland to Hillsboro on the MAX Blue Line, which is about 17 miles. This light rail system has limited stops compared to the street car, has its own dedicated right of way, grade crossings, and goes about 55-60 mph on longer stretches between stations outside of downtown. It would probably take the QLine more than 3 hours to get out to Pontiac if everything went smoothly along the way.
I'll agree, streetcar vehicles will make a lousy choice for running trains to Pontiac. First, they're too slow and secondly, they're too small.

An appropriate vehicle and transit mode will have to be used to reach Pontiac. Commuter rail in a railroad corridor or light rail on Woodward (city streets) would be better choices.

Too many forget what multimodal transit means.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:27 PM

Bah, mass transit has to start slowly by more dense and better off areas anyway.

You look at Paris's network for instance. The local network is ultra dense where people are rich or hipster. The inner subway lines are even too slow IMO, which has always annoyed us, with a stop every 200 yards as if the rich or the hipsters had no legs and couldn't even walk, while the poor and the badass keep running every day as of 5 am. Really, older lines are widely meant for tourists.

Most efficient is the RER-like stuff, or bigger Transilien commuter trains. Big trains like these stopping roughly every couple of miles, with a terrific frequency at rush hours. That's what works. These effectively cross the entire metro area without any problem. In fact, newly developed subway lines are the same. They don't have to stop in such short distances. It's more effective to walk a little bit from your station to your job location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation