HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 8:38 AM
She needs her space

SAN FRANCISCO | 5M Development | 470, 400, 200 & 174 FT | 40 FLOORS

5M stands for 5th and Mission, the project's location in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco.

In late 2007, Hearst, owner of the San Francisco Chronicle, and of the 3.9 acres containing 20 separate parcels (the site in question) issued an RFP to developers, either to develop the site (in partnership) or to buy the site.

Shortly after, Hearst chose Forest City to develop the site in partnership with Hearst. Forest City is also developing Pier 70, which after successful community outreach was approved by the general public earlier this year, and they are developing a few other notable projects in SF, including a successful apartment project in the Castro district, with a market hall/food emporium on the ground floor.

After Forest City was chosen, with the Chronicle's woes (and other newspaper publishers) vacated some space in their building, allowing for opportunity for immediate repurposing. Forest City then interviewed 70 people in community focus groups and talked to 45 local organizations. The result was the hiring of Alex Michels, founder of Hub SOMA and Hub Berkeley, to create a new non-profit, 5M.org.

Quote:
The nonprofit, 5M.org, is a collaboration between Forest City and Intersection for the Arts, and is being kicked off with a $777,000 grant for “placemaking” from ArtPlace, a consortium of foundations, federal agencies, and financial institutions. Other 5M tenants involved in the project are: the Hub, which supports social entrepreneurs; and TechShop, a do-it-yourself workshop that gives members access to tools, equipment, instruction and a creative community.

The new nonprofit launches as Forest City is gearing up to file a preliminary application for a major development of the 4.5 acre property the Hearst Corp. — the parent company of the Chronicle — owns at Fifth and Mission.
source

Further description of the non-profit activities fostered by Forest City on the site since 2009 below:

Quote:
Michel said the idea for a separate nonprofit organization grew out of community meetings focused on the 5M Project redevelopment. In talking to neighbors “there was a strong request to make this a permeable campus.” He said the nearly 2,000 small businesses (many of them one-person organizations) and nonprofits based at 5M are doing “breakthrough entrepreneurial and cultural work” and “5M.org’s goal is to help the community gain access to and participate with the resources in their own backyard that are driving the emerging economy.”

The creation of 5M “reflects Forest City’s deep interest in having the project be interwoven into the community,” Michel said. “How many developments in the area have their back to the street and their back to the community and are not really engaging the community?”

The idea is to open up the campus to neighborhood residents and local kids who may not have access to the cutting edge technology, capital, entrepreneurship and equipment that exist at 5M, Michel said. There will be pre-professional internships, after school programs, job training, large-scale public art projects, artist residencies and attempts to engage local youth with 5M partners to address neighborhood issues. In addition to Hub SoMa, TechShop and Intersection for the Arts, 5M is home to San Francisco School of Digital Filmmaking, Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey’s mobile payments company Square and SFMADE, an nonprofit promoting local manufacturing.

“It’s not conceived to generate positive feedback for the development, but I do think having this program with this mission will contribute to the shaping of the development,” she said. “Here is this community process and this idea comes out of it that can live on its own.”

http://www.5mproject.com/

In 2012, 5M was a Finalist for Best Community Impact by the SF Business Times.

In 2013, Yahoo replaced Square (who last year moved HQ to larger space in Mid-Market) as a 60,000 sf lease in the 300,000 sf Chronicle Building.

Jumping forward to 2014, Forest City has been as carefully planning its master development at 5M as it has been planning Pier 70, which won voter approval this year at the ballot box. As early as 2011, Forest City's plan was to have their project approved in 2014 with construction to commence in either 2015 or 2016 and last through 2026.

On October 15, 2014, Forest City submitted a 740 page EIR for the development. On November 20, it held a public hearing, kicking off a large political and community process that will determine what eventually gets built.

Quote:
Forest City is pitching two scenarios. The "office scheme" would give the site 871,900 square feet of office space and 914 housing units. The "residential scheme" would provide 598,500 square feet of office space and 1,209 housing units. The residential scheme would also include 59,100 square feet of shared open space, about 15,000 more than the office plan. Both office space and housing are of course in high demand and short supply in San Francisco. One of the difference makers could be the office space cap that the city expects to bump into next year because of the 1980s law enacted under Prop. M.

The project is in the city's queue for office space approval by the second quarter of next year, which would likely allow it to get space allocation before the city is expected to hit its limit, ...
source

An important part of the pitch is that 25% of residential units will be built on and/or off-site as affordable units.

On November 6, 2014, Forest City and its architect Kohn Pederson Fox released the first official renderings and set of detailed plans.

Quote:
The developer is also pushing more plans that allow it to tilt its mix of housing and office toward more office. It prefers to build 871,900 square feet of office space and 914 housing units rather than 598,500 square feet of office space and 1,209 housing units.
source

On November 20, the day that Forest City held its first public hearing, the San Francisco Planning Department introduced a proposal for SOMA office developers to pay additional impact fees to help keep non-profits from being priced out of the city. It would be an unprecedented move. Additionally, planners want to enforce Proposition K, which voters recent approved, to mandate that 33% of all housing units created would be available to middle and lower income residents. Office developers already pay $24/sf to subsidize housing and there is not much room to allow for more before development is completely non profitable.

According to SFGate,
Quote:
The first phase calls for 280 rental units in a 200-foot building on the corner of Minna and Mary alleyways, and 580,000 square feet of office space in a 400-foot tower at Fifth and Howard streets. The developer has committed to making 25 percent of the 280 units below market rate. A second residential tower, on Fifth Street between Mission and Howard streets, would likely come in a second phase. That building would be 472 feet, and would likely be sold to a for-sale condo builder. Forest City only builds rental housing.

The project calls for two open spaces — a 12,000-square-foot “Mary Square” next to the 280-unit building and a 22,000-square-foot green space on the roof of The Chronicle building, which will be preserved. The rooftop garden will have a separate public elevator, according to Audrey Tendell, vice president of development for Forest City.
source

RENDERINGS

source

source

source

source

source

source

Mary Street view looking south

source

source

source

Minna Street view on Mary Court

source

View of Chronicle Building rooftop

source

Mid-rise Residential

source

High-rise Residential

source

Office Building

source

Office Building

source

Looking East down Howard

source

source

A Full Copy of the November 20 presentation (complete with renderings and diagrams) can be found HERE.

I look forward to tracking this one with you all over the next decade (hopefully sooner).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:08 PM

I like a couple of the buildings that are getting demo'd, but they really are a dime a dozen in SOMA, and this project will exponentially invigorate this area. Also they are retaining the four story brick building on Minna which is nice, and there is a build alternative which retains the building at Natoma & Mary.

One thing I did notice that I couldnt find mentioned anywhere is the fact that there is an unconnected parcel that is part of the project farther down Mission labeled as M3, but this only appears on the project map from the old socketsite link.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 9:24 AM
Build Baby Build

It doesn't make sense to me that the building heights have to be shorter for the residential option. I understand ceiling heights are typically smaller in residential spaces, but that should open up more floors for units. This is such a great area for the residential option, it will mean even more people walking on the streets.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:18 PM

Replacing a parking lot with residences and offices near mass transit? I like this project.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeff View Post
Replacing a parking lot with residences and offices near mass transit? I like this project.
I like it for that reason and also because it will help extended the skyline west westward and closer to connecting it with the Mid-Market/Civic Center cluster

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 7:19 PM

Agreed, that area has long been under-built. This would bring some much needed density to that block. And the more productive usage, including offices and residences, will do a lot to help the area.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Theres still a ton of parking lots in that area of soma. Never really noticed that.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 7:05 PM

Some details of the plan have been revised, per J.K. Dineen:

Quote:
The plan now calls for one 614,000-square-foot office building consisting of two towers at Fifth and Howard streets, a 400-unit, 470-foot tall condo tower at Fifth and Minna streets, and the rental apartment building on Mission Street between Fifth and Sixth streets.
Quote:
The developers hope to win final approvals in November and start construction about a year after that.
Other details:
  • Will build an 83-unit, low-income senior housing project on an 8,800-square-foot empty lot at 967 Mission St.
  • Will contribute $18 million toward a 103-unit affordable family complex planned for Taylor and Eddy streets.
  • 20 percent of a 288-unit apartment building on the development site would be set aside for families making 50 percent of area median income.
  • The new plan increases open space from 12,000 square feet to 26,000 square feet, made possible by the elimination of a 226,000-square-foot office building (N2).
  • The height of the office tower (H1) is lowered from 435' to 390'.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 5:41 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^One tiny correction (I think). The Chronicle map seems to indicate the office building will be 395':

Another interesting change is the retention of the Camelline Building:
Quote:
The developers are also seeking to appease historic preservationists by agreeing to save a 9,500-square-foot structure from 1923 known as the Camelline Building on Natoma Street. In addition, the 1924 Dempster Printing Building on Minna Street and the Chronicle building at 901 Mission St. would remain. The Chronicle building’s rooftop would become open space accessible to the public.
Keeping some of the smaller scale buildings mixed in with the new, larger ones is a plus in my book.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 6:32 PM

I am happy that they are able to keep the Camelline building, but I hope they do something interesting with it, as the addition of open space for the rest of the footprint of N2 means that it will be surrounded by open space on three sides. I would have preferred keeping both it and N2 and turning the new building into an L shape to wrap around the Camelline building, to juxtapose old and new, as they are doing on the corner of 5th and Howard.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 7:02 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^I really like your idea too. That would have been better. Perhaps sometime in the future.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 7:13 PM

John King has a few words about the 5M proposal, with the first round of approvals coming up in September:

Quote:
As the push for approvals begins — the first vote is scheduled for early next month at the Planning Commission — the project that the developers call 5M is being billed as nothing less than “a new typology for urban density that combines highly diverse building types with an active and interconnected civic realm.”

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
John King has a few words about the 5M proposal, with the first round of approvals coming up in September:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...witter-premium

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 7:31 PM
dazzle me

i pray to azazel that this one is allowed through.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
i pray to azazel that this one is allowed through.
I pray that someone steals the plans and takes 'em down here to LA so we can have this grace our skyline.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
I like the November version better.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 2:45 PM
She needs her space

Much agreed.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
I like the November version better.
Making the shorter tower shorter in the new rendering makes the tall one stand out more.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Making the shorter tower shorter in the new rendering makes the tall one stand out more.
I think what I like about the November version is the crazy quilt of textures that force you look for a while to figure out what the hell is actually going on here. In the new version, I do like the taller building, but the shiny wedge with the red pinstripes just isn't doing it for me.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 6:59 PM

This project is big enough that a special joint hearing of the San Francisco Planning Commission and Recreation and Park Commission will be held this Thursday to vote on all the approvals. Among the documents set to be approved:
  • CEQA Findings
  • General Plan Consistency Findings
  • Shadow Impact Findings
  • General Plan Amendment
  • Planning Code Amendment
  • Zoning Map Amendment
  • Development Agreement
  • Design for Development
  • Office Allocation
  • Conditional Use Authorization
Here's a 1,266 page PDF (!) with all the above documents combined: http://commissions.sfplanning.org/cp...ket_091715.pdf

Even after all the above is approved (which appears likely), there is a 15-day appeal period, and then several of those amendments must be voted on by the Board of Supervisors (which has its own appeals process too) to become final.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction