HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:06 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 666 5th Ave. | 1,400 FT | FLOORS

666 Fifth Ave. may be transformed into a slender tower
September 10, 2015
By Amanda Fung

Quote:
The office tower at 666 Fifth Ave. may be turned into a mall, hotel and residential tower. Jared Kushner and Steve Roth's Vornado Realty Trust is mulling the repositioning of the 41-story, 1957-era building.

The Pritzker Prize-winning architect Zaha Hadid has already prepared a plan that would restack 666 Fifth Ave. into a slender, super-tall hotel and residential tower above a vertical retail podium. Vornado controls the property's retail condominium, which it bought from Mr. Kushner, Carlyle and Crown Acquisitions three years ago for $710 million.
I can't wait to see what Zaha Hadid has been planning, hopefully it will look like her design for 425 Park which I liked very much.

Last edited by Eidolon; Sep 10, 2015 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:18 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Holy crap! A 1,400 foot-tall Zaha Hadid!? I must be dreaming

Real Estate heavyweights mull turning Fifth Ave. tower into mall

By Lois Weiss
September 10, 2015 | 12:02am

Quote:
Real estate heavyweights Steve Roth and Jared Kushner are mulling a plan to reposition the 1957-era aluminum-clad 666 Fifth Ave. office tower into a 1,400-foot vertical mall, hotel and residential tower.

The Post has also learned that Pritzker Prize-winning architect Zaha Hadid has already prepared a scheme that would restack the current 41-story building into a slender, super-tall hotel and residential tower above a vertical retail podium.

Because of its location, a significant part of the tower would have unobstructed views of Central Park.

While a partner in the office portion — Roth’s company, Vornado Realty Corp. — controls the building’s Fifth Avenue retail condominium, which they purchased from Kushner Companies, Carlyle and Crown Acquisitions in 2012 for $710 million.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:19 PM

Another 1,400 ft. Midtown supertall, this time by Zaha Hadid. Sounds good to me.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lol. Said this yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I've noticed that every time we get some height decrease, the next couple of days give us a big ass increase with some project. Couple of developments in the past where that has happened. Its the Ying-Yang effect of NY real estate.

All we need now is a height increase for 1 Vanderbilt, and the Ying-Yang might explode.
So you know what that means...

The Ying-Yang has exploded! If there's another tall tower proposed tomorrow, I might have a stroke. Too much good news to recently.

Incredible news. Seems like height decreases on other projects result in more towers that are even taller. Maybe what we need are more height decreases because luck is on our side.

In a great location.

Last edited by chris08876; Sep 10, 2015 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:31 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Some details: the built FAR of the office building is roughly 1.25 million square feet -- the entire floor area is around 1.5. There's also 50,000 square feet of unused air rights at 21 W 57th.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 6:32 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Any chance of some airright transfers from St. Thomas?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:26 PM
MPLSXCHI

I'm guessing 3,000 feet, red, lava smoldering down the sides, and it opes some sort of portal to hell. Long live the 666 tower

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:19 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Don't think so, but if the air rights on St. Patrick's ever break the leash, 1.17 million square feet of air rights could be up for grabs.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
It's my understanding that St. Thomas still has some leftover air rights that would have been used by 53w53 had it been built to its originally intended 1250 feet. When 53w53 was forced to lower to 1050 feet (a decision that seems more and more ludicrous with each passing month, given what is rising nearby), St. Thomas was still able to profit handsomely, but not as much as they would have if the project had been larger. So they were left with some unclaimed air rights, with precious few opportunities to transfer them to neighbors given the rules.

It seems reasonable that if given the chance, St. Thomas would welcome the oppoortunity to sell the remainder of what they had hoped to sell before Amanda Burden made her decision in favor of the neighborhood whiners who seem shocked to learn that they bought homes in midtown Manhattan. If so, it serves the nimbys right that there would be an even taller tower now on the same block as 53w53.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:01 AM

Hopefully it's a better proposal than her Park Ave tower.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:18 AM

Mods should change thread title to 1,400 ft.

Zaha Hadid doesn't do standard-issue towers, so this building will not be a typical box.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:21 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but if they go through with this would't this be close to one of the biggest office buildings (in sf) ever purposefully taken down in the city?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

I think they are going to add on top of it. Convert the building into a hotel/residential super tall. Assuming that's what they mean by "restack".

Something like a 5 Beekman situation for example, only a super tall. At least I think that's what the articles mean.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:56 PM

I was under the impression it would be more like 380 Madison, where they would remove entire sections of the building in order to put that square footage higher up

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
I was under the impression it would be more like 380 Madison, where they would remove entire sections of the building in order to put that square footage higher up
Yeah, that's the plan. This was on a radio news article a few days ago. It would be a new tower from the layperson's perspective, but using the foundation. Supposedly this tower would have a large retail base and then a skinny tower above.

It would be more like the Norman Foster tower going up on Park Ave. Technically an alteration due to zoning rules but really a new tower.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 7:05 PM

As very attractive as a new 1400 foot building will be, which btw we can surely assume will be more architecturally significant then the current piece. It is another case of taking office space thats already serving and holding a lot of people, and turning that sf into huge apartments that will not only serve very few, but do nothing in terms of stemming actual residential demand. It reinforces this idea that height really isn't a good measure of the density of people these buildings are bringing into the area, or that all of this new construction is helping the city 'grow'.

Frankly the buildings that are making a dent are the relative crapola on far west 42nd. NY really needs many many more of these right now.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 10:49 PM

Not sure if a Hadid tower is good or bad for NY. She certainly does some interesting architecture, but not always in a good way.

Hope it's a stunner, and not something people look at 50 years from now saying "WTF were those people in the 2010's thinking by building this crazy thing?". LOL

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 11:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A NY version of 1000 Museum rising in Miami would be nice. She seems to like that type of design.

Some of her work:

Credit: http://www.dezeen.com/2014/09/05/zah...scrapers-trio/

Credit: http://ivanparada7.blogspot.com/2014...s-will-be.html

Credit: http://www.multifamilyexecutive.com/...ints-nyc-mad_o

A slender super tall with that futuristic touch and an alien nature could be something that we may see. Although how it will fit on 5th Avenue in terms of its aesthetics is another question, but I have a feeling something incorporating elements in the projects above will rise.

While A.M. stern likes his art-deco, Hadid's designs look like something you'd see in a sci-fi movie.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 1:12 AM
Show me the blueprints

^That second one is particularly Gigeresque. Almost creepy in my opinion. I hope nothing like that rises on Fifth Avenue.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 1:53 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Also for a reminder, here's Hadid's proposal for 425 Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects