HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Loop by Claridge I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
You know, I actually don't have a problem with the 'stumpiness' of our CBD - I think it's somewhat attractive to have the buildings here all seem to end at a reasonably consistent height. This is part of the character of Ottawa - what sets us apart from other North American cities. There are symptoms of the stumpiness I do not like (poorly designed box-like buildings), but the fact that they all end near the same height has allowed for more density in terms of numbers of tall buildings, and a greater breadth to the skyline than in other similarly-sized cities. There is also something to be said for preserving those views that do exist both to and from the Peace Tower. To recap: I would rather have a sizeable downtown with stumpy buildings than just one or two skyscrapers.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see 30+, 40+ or even 50+ buildings in Ottawa. I just think that it would hurt the uniqueness of our city for them to be in the current CBD. I think a Secondary Central Business District, or SBD with these taller buildings could develop either at Tunney's, or even better, at the Booth Street complex and the surrounding area at Preston and Carling.
The Hurdman area would also be a good place for a Secondary CBD given it is at a transit hub.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:42 AM

I agree that taller buildings could likely get approved in farther reaching areas of the city that wouldn't really effect the planes of view to/from the peace tower. I would love to see some more tall buildings here in the south end of the city, or even by Tunney's...would add to the breadth of the skyline when viewed from higher vantage points like gatineau park or coming in from Kanata (love the view of the city at dusk from the 417 coming down the hill between Moodie and March/Eagleson...)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 4:54 PM

i am still angry that lebreton flats will be a sea of stumps. it's down the hill from the CBD, they could go forty stories and still be level with the CBD. this area is perfect for some real density. i suppose there is still some hope for the bayview yards/city centre area to get some tall buildings some day.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
i am still angry that lebreton flats will be a sea of stumps. it's down the hill from the CBD, they could go forty stories and still be level with the CBD. this area is perfect for some real density. i suppose there is still some hope for the bayview yards/city centre area to get some tall buildings some day.
What is it with some wanting such high buildings.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:27 PM

all i want is some slender landmark buildings, something to create an interesting skyline...and a tall slender building with appropriate setbacks is a much better use of space as well. two or three is all it takes. i've been to over 30 countries around the world and i think ottawa has the most boring skyline of a city it's size that i've ever seen. vancouver is doing it right...most of their skyline is around the size of ours, but the skyline is much more beautiful because of a few landmark buildings.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:48 PM

Quote:
all i want is some slender landmark buildings, something to create an interesting skyline...and a tall slender building with appropriate setbacks is a much better use of space as well. two or three is all it takes. i've been to over 30 countries around the world and i think ottawa has the most boring skyline of a city it's size that i've ever seen. vancouver is doing it right...most of their skyline is around the size of ours, but the skyline is much more beautiful because of a few landmark buildings.
No its not the most boring in fact it appeals to alot of people.Hight does not mean its beautiful in fact some people don't like high buildings every where places like toronto people stay away from the downtown core because of that reason.Tall buildings every where does not improve your quality of life it decreases it in many ways.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 8:32 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
No its not the most boring in fact it appeals to alot of people.Hight does not mean its beautiful in fact some people don't like high buildings every where places like toronto people stay away from the downtown core because of that reason.Tall buildings every where does not improve your quality of life it decreases it in many ways.
And those who are so against buildings of more than two stories are more than welcome to live somewhere other than a city. Nothing is stopping them.

I don't think you should be surprised that people who are members of a website called 'Skyscraperpage' are likely to be in favour of taller buildings. What I find enlightning is that there is genuine debate here about also having good street-level interaction & a vibrant urban form, rather than simply mindlessly pursuing height.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
And those who are so against buildings of more than two stories are more than welcome to live somewhere other than a city. Nothing is stopping them.

I don't think you should be surprised that people who are members of a website called 'Skyscraperpage' are likely to be in favour of taller buildings. What I find enlightning is that there is genuine debate here about also having good street-level interaction & a vibrant urban form, rather than simply mindlessly pursuing height.
Not talking about 2 floors but people wanting countless 40 plus floors and think its beautiful there the ones have i have issues with.There is a difference between having taller buildings which we need vs saying we should have 40 plus floors because it will increase life style quality.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 7:39 AM

I think its kind of embarrassing to only have buildings of max 30 stories. When i usually see tall skyline i think wow this city has power, its rich. For the year 2010 ottawa is a bit behind the times.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
I think its kind of embarrassing to only have buildings of max 30 stories. When i usually see tall skyline i think wow this city has power, its rich. For the year 2010 ottawa is a bit behind the times.
Ottawa isn't a rich or powerful city, so i guess our skyline for the year 2010 is accurate. But on that note, how poor and weak is Washington, DC to your mind?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
No a tall skyline does not mean a city is rich or powerful some some times a tall skyline means the city is masking something else be it not a great city to live in or what ever it is.Would it be nice to have a few taller buildings yes is it embarrasing not to have them no.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Ottawa isn't a rich or powerful city, so i guess our skyline for the year 2010 is accurate. But on that note, how poor and weak is Washington, DC to your mind?
Ottawa to a degree is powerful and is rich.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Ottawa to a degree is powerful and is rich.
Those are the odours coming from the Hill, reidjr!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Those are the odours coming from the Hill, reidjr!
That maybe i just think some put to much into a high skyline.I would like to see a few 40 towers but i am against a ton of high towers its does not improve life style as some seem to think.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:53 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
That maybe i just think some put to much into a high skyline.I would like to see a few 40 towers but i am against a ton of high towers its does not improve life style as some seem to think.
Most people from the Ottawa-section here on SSP want only a few tall signature towers and height restrictions in some areas lessened.

On another note, people in Ottawa (Glebites and NIMBY's) seem to kibosh anything interesting that happens in this city to make it more livable. The original plan for Lansdowne which had the crazy-artistic pedestrian bridge and island was taken away in the name of money and being opposed to change. Glebites are fighting tooth and nail to prevent decent, money-making renewal of Lansdowne that would see the return of livelihood, football and possibly even soccer alongside a true urban park.

The Botanical Gardens were killed in the name of preserving experimental barley fields and dog-walkers "rights" in the Arboretum.

Tall, slender towers look much nicer than stumpy boxes, yet many Ottawans seem to not realize this. They also provide us with more residents in urban areas which A) means more money for city coffers and B) more people living downtown.

The fact that the Windmill Project was killed by mainly Glebe-centered opposition was ridiculous when it did nothing but add to the city.

The Science and Tech Museum still doesn't have a home befitting the size of its collection and status as a national institution.

Bluesfest. My God, Bluesfest. Every year, there are some locals and even Glebites who complain about hearing the "noise" (it's called music, old people) when it's one of the largest Blues festivals in North America and a major draw to Ottawa.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Sure, a whole bunch of towers everywhere won't make the city livable, but the people in Ottawa could at least TRY to make the city work.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Most people from the Ottawa-section here on SSP want only a few tall signature towers and height restrictions in some areas lessened.

On another note, people in Ottawa (Glebites and NIMBY's) seem to kibosh anything interesting that happens in this city to make it more livable. The original plan for Lansdowne which had the crazy-artistic pedestrian bridge and island was taken away in the name of money and being opposed to change. Glebites are fighting tooth and nail to prevent decent, money-making renewal of Lansdowne that would see the return of livelihood, football and possibly even soccer alongside a true urban park.

The Botanical Gardens were killed in the name of preserving experimental barley fields and dog-walkers "rights" in the Arboretum.

Tall, slender towers look much nicer than stumpy boxes, yet many Ottawans seem to not realize this. They also provide us with more residents in urban areas which A) means more money for city coffers and B) more people living downtown.

The fact that the Windmill Project was killed by mainly Glebe-centered opposition was ridiculous when it did nothing but add to the city.

The Science and Tech Museum still doesn't have a home befitting the size of its collection and status as a national institution.

Bluesfest. My God, Bluesfest. Every year, there are some locals and even Glebites who complain about hearing the "noise" (it's called music, old people) when it's one of the largest Blues festivals in North America and a major draw to Ottawa.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Sure, a whole bunch of towers everywhere won't make the city livable, but the people in Ottawa could at least TRY to make the city work.
I agree with you i would like to see 3 or 4 big towers downtown no question about it.As for the bluesfest i have no idea what is is with this city there was over 40 complaints to me this is non sense why complain about people having fun.Even when ottawa held the world juniors people were all upset saying its going to ruin the city etc same when the sens made it to the finals people were outraged about the redmile.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:26 PM

J-P wrote

Quote:

I think we will eventually see another foot bridge over the canal--but further away from the Bank St. Bridge--connecting Clegg St and Fifth Avenue. Not directly attached to Lansdowne , but close enough to provide pedestrian access to it from Old Ottawa East. I agree with the over all content of this quote.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:00 PM

i will never be convinced that building multiple stumps that take up entire city blocks is better practice than building slim tall towers, or that it is better looking. i imagine our core being more dense, yet still having parks and plazas (something sorely lacking) if not for our ridiculous zoning rules. downtown would be less of a wind tunnel as well.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:11 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
J-P wrote

I think we will eventually see another foot bridge over the canal--but further away from the Bank St. Bridge--connecting Clegg St and Fifth Avenue. Not directly attached to Lansdowne , but close enough to provide pedestrian access to it from Old Ottawa East. I agree with the over all content of this quote.
I know that that is the plan, but the Lansdwne area could still have worked. Especially the island part and burying a small stretch of QEW. It would've actually brought people directly to significant waterfront which is something Ottawa hasn't seen ever. Think about it; all our waterfront is separated by a driveway, parkway or road of some kind. Lansdowne would've changed that but the almighty dollar and the rigid and stupid NCC had to kill it.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:15 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
i will never be convinced that building multiple stumps that take up entire city blocks is better practice than building slim tall towers, or that it is better looking. i imagine our core being more dense, yet still having parks and plazas (something sorely lacking) if not for our ridiculous zoning rules. downtown would be less of a wind tunnel as well.
I've always imagined turning Bank and Laurier into a plaza/square similar to Dundas or Times Square but with an elevated plaza, featuring an attention and crowd-drawing sculpture/work of art of some kind. I really wish I was given full control of this city sometimes...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa