HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:11 PM

Sears Canada is probably trying to do the Christmas Hail Mary play; hoping that the Back-to-School/Christmas shopping season might buy them some more time or at least to pad out the bottom line enough to trigger escape clauses or something.

But between the news the bankruptcy is generating, and the number of folk whom Sears Canada owes money to, they may not make it to the Shopping Season... or if they do, they won't have anything left to sell.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Sears Canada is probably trying to do the Christmas Hail Mary play; hoping that the Back-to-School/Christmas shopping season might buy them some more time or at least to pad out the bottom line enough to trigger escape clauses or something.

But between the news the bankruptcy is generating, and the number of folk whom Sears Canada owes money to, they may not make it to the Shopping Season... or if they do, they won't have anything left to sell.
If they would not be going to ask for an extension ti'll October 4th 2017 I would have disagreed. But I do agree since they are pushing for what seems to be an extension ti'll after the back to school sale season.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 12:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Remember the other year we had the Frogurt wars here in greater Moncton??? (Goji's won BTW)........

Greater Moncton - get prepared for the Burrito Wars!!!

We have three Guacamole locations now (Mountain & Universite, Champlain Place, McLuaughlin Place)

We have one Burrito Jax now (Main Street), a second one soon to open in the Northwest Centre, and a third one (TBA) for sometime next year.

Now it's time to get prepared for Quesada Burritos & Tacos.
https://www.quesada.ca
https://www.facebook.com/Quesada-Bur...=OTHER&fref=nf

The interactive map seems to indicate that they plan to open in the Mapleton Centre. Their FB page indicates they plan to open three locations in greater Moncton "minimum".

At least all three franchises are scattering themselves all around metro so they aren't in direct competition with each other. I wonder which one will be the first to jump the river (Riverview)???

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:01 AM

I do wonder when the Greek and Shawarma waves will reach us. I've been to Edmonton and Ottawa recently, and both cities are covered in Greek and Shawarma fast food restaurants (Chains like Opi and local shops); so I'm sure we'll start getting them soon. They also had lots and lots of Burrito places, but they didn't seem as common as the other ones.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I do wonder when the Greek and Shawarma waves will reach us. I've been to Edmonton and Ottawa recently, and both cities are covered in Greek and Shawarma fast food restaurants (Chains like Opi and local shops); so I'm sure we'll start getting them soon. They also had lots and lots of Burrito places, but they didn't seem as common as the other ones.
I was wondering the same thing. Although I do prefer Shish Taouk (not quite well known outside of Quebec) over Shawarma. The best Shish Taouk in NB can be found at Blue Olive in Dieppe!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Quesada Moncton Facebook page has disappeared. I wonder what this means? Could this have been a hoax???

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The [Moncton] Retail Thread was created over five years ago, but this is by far the quietest year yet for retail speculation and news in the city. A sign of the times perhaps? Is this the Amazon effect?

I am not a big fan of Amazon........

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The [Moncton] Retail Thread was created over five years ago, but this is by far the quietest year yet for retail speculation and news in the city. A sign of the times perhaps? Is this the Amazon effect?

I am not a big fan of Amazon........
I don't think its the Amazon effect. But i wish that the retail health in the city would be more active. When i look at the Mall area that Cadilac Fairview owns and operates is dead and i wish they would unveil plans on what they plan to do with the mall and its surroundings.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:16 AM

I chuckle to myself when someone posts the Moncton retail sector is dead. Try living in rural PEI, Northern NB Etc. Moncton may not be the best, however My choices are 3 grocery stores, Marks, CT Walmart and Giant Tiger, and a few small clothing stores. Charlottetown is better, but it is not Moncton. Moncton may be on a downturn currently, however, from where I sit you people have lots of choice many smaller spots only dream of.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I don't think its the Amazon effect. But i wish that the retail health in the city would be more active. When i look at the Mall area that Cadilac Fairview owns and operates is dead and i wish they would unveil plans on what they plan to do with the mall and its surroundings.
e already know there are at least Rumors for a hotel it's not yet set in stone but seems that it would sit Where Rosano's is curently, and that there had been plans at an attempt to make the mall more high end, and get those higher end clothing stores, and even better choice within the food court. There are also plans for the old Sears Garage but nothing has yet been set in stone so to speak. CF has only said they wanted a single Tenant. I could see the section here where the building sits being re-designed for a restaurant/pub of some sort. But that is just wishful thinking on my part.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I chuckle to myself when someone posts the Moncton retail sector is dead. Try living in rural PEI, Northern NB Etc. Moncton may not be the best, however My choices are 3 grocery stores, Marks, CT Walmart and Giant Tiger, and a few small clothing stores. Charlottetown is better, but it is not Moncton. Moncton may be on a downturn currently, however, from where I sit you people have lots of choice many smaller spots only dream of.
Oh I realize this. Moncton has the best retail this side of Halifax. The problems with retail are broader than just the Moncton experience. There seems to be a new national chain going bankrupt in Canada about every 2-3 weeks. Many of these chains have outlets in Moncton. There are very few retailers stepping in to lease these newly vacant spaces. As such, the vacancies are starting to pile up. Even Halifax isn't immune to this phenomenon. It's only the top 20 or so malls in the leading 7-8 retail markets in the country that seem to have escaped this mass extinction event relatively unscathed. It's nothing specific to Moncton........

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:13 PM

Maybe in the long run this retail contraction is a good thing. It might provide more opportunities for locally owned companies, particularly as our cities densify.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Costco moving to Elmwood Drive (possibly Elmwood Centre)???

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Just heard from a Costco Employee friend (I know, I know) but she was just told, it's official, Costco will be moving to Elmwood within a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Heard that the Costco CEO was in last week and announced this to the staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I also heard that the CEO was in last week, one of my coworkers happened to be in the store at the same time and he said the employees were acting strange so he asked what was going on and was told the CEO was there to make an announcement to the staff but they didn't know what it was yet. Presumably it was to announce the new store location.
Several reliable sources now that the CEO was in town and some sort of announcement was made to the employees. This rumour is gaining traction therefore I thought discussion regarding a possible Costco move to Elmwood perhaps should be relocated to the retail thread.......

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Costco moving to Elmwood Drive (possibly Elmwood Centre)???

Several reliable sources now that the CEO was in town and some sort of announcement was made to the employees. This rumour is gaining traction therefore I thought discussion regarding a possible Costco move to Elmwood perhaps should be relocated to the retail thread.......
I've also just had confirmation from a head of a large construction company that Costco is indeed relocating off of Elmwood. We'll soon see!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Acadian Construction perchance?

The chatter has started (somewhat belatedly) over at our friends Retail Talk & Share as well, and there seem to be several independent sources over there also confirming an Elmwood location for Costco, perhaps opening as soon as fall 2018.

Acadian Construction is rumoured to have the contract to build. There will be a gas bar. The store will be larger than the current one, and probably the largest one in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:50 PM

Saje is now open at CF Champlain

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:

The chatter has started (somewhat belatedly) over at our friends Retail Talk & Share as well, and there seem to be several independent sources over there also confirming an Elmwood location for Costco, perhaps opening as soon as fall 2018.

Acadian Construction is rumoured to have the contract to build. There will be a gas bar. The store will be larger than the current one, and probably the largest one in Atlantic Canada.
That is supposed to be the plan but the plans need to be approved by the City, and no plans can be given without a confirmed lot. I don't see the city declining there plans though it should actually create a few more jobs.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:

Hehe! I'd rather not say (), although he never mentioned it was a secret...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:44 AM

D&M Sports is opening in the old paint store on Plaza Blvd. and Easy Financial is opening a location on Main Street between Superstore and Giant Tiger.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for the update.

The new location for D&M Sports will have better visibility (and probably cheaper rent, but will be a loss for Hasting Ridge........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces