HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 12:20 AM

I remember the shutdown being mentioned somewhere else before. Not sure where though.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 7:57 PM

There is a press release on Translink's site that talks about the renovations to the Broadway Station that start Nov. There is no mention made of any closures.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 5:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

^CTV also reported this two days ago (keep on forgetting to post =P), the will begin later this month.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 4:03 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Lots of info on the Broadway station renos on the following pdf. Some of the changes the city is going to be doing will help as well. The expanded sidewalks and double width sidewalks will certainly help.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/pdf...ards_prf17.pdf

Anyone know if there is a reason that the overhead passage way between Broadway and Commercial didn't take up the whole space available, there is about 1m on either side which would've helped with congestion.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 8:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I have a feeling it's all boils down to the financing. Even though I would be better and aesthetically nicer to have a larger passerelle, I think it was way too expensive.

Really, I want them to get rid of CIBC, replacing it with just a civic plaza and have the station entrance (of north side) opening to a civic plaza. That way, you have so much more room for people to navigate around.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Lots of info on the Broadway station renos on the following pdf. Some of the changes the city is going to be doing will help as well. The expanded sidewalks and double width sidewalks will certainly help.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/pdf...ards_prf17.pdf

Anyone know if there is a reason that the overhead passage way between Broadway and Commercial didn't take up the whole space available, there is about 1m on either side which would've helped with congestion.

It's probably because prior to 2001, it was just an overpass to a stairwell on the north side of E. Broadway (iirc, there was no escalator or elevator before the M line was built, I may be wrong).

In hindsight, it would have made sense to build it as wide as they could have in the 80's, bu tin those days, with no M-Line, and no 99-B Line, it wasn't as busy as it is now.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Thanks for the info.

Probably a cost savings measure when the Expo Line was built (i.e. before it was a transfer station) and could be widened in future to extend the platform.

If it was actually a design feature, my guess is that you want the corridor to be narrower than the holding area (platform) so that there's a rate limited flow onto the platform. i.e. people spill out into a roomier area. If it were as wide as the platform, people entering the platform area would run into people waiting at the platform edge, which could be a safety problem.
The platforms (as-built) were meant for 6-car MK-I trains which take up the whole length of the platform (so there would be people awaiting at the platform edge right at the end of the corridor).

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 3:02 AM
senior something

Renovations have started; there's a bunch of white plywood fencing put up around the south end of the station.

Also, note in the PDF is says "next steps: planning and design for major capacity improvements". It would appear they have the future platform extentions in mind when doing this upgrade.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 3:12 AM

From the Buzzer Blog:

Scott Road Station getting second elevator:

http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php...cond-elevator/

Update on Broadway Station renovations:

http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php...008/#more-1643

Quote:
The hoarding on the south end of the platform.

The emergency exit on the south side of the station has been demolished and the asphalt on that side removed. Look, you can see right through to 10th Avenue now!

The chain-link fence under the station has been removed, as well as the TransLink garbage and recycling bins.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 4:40 AM
Vancouver Moderator

December 18, 2008
Universal accessibility gets a “lift" - 2nd Elevator for Scott Road Station

Second Elevator to be Installed at Scott Road Station
A longstanding barrier to seniors and people with disabilities will at last be removed in 2009, with the installation of a new elevator at Scott Road Station. TransLink approved the necessary capital funds, following the recommendation of the Access Transit Users’ Advisory Committee, and ensuring that the new elevator will take precedence over other renovations at Scott Road.
The elevator will take customers from the SkyTrain platform to the bus loop on the north (nearest Pattullo Bridge) side of the station. Currently, a person with a mobility device who needed to get between the bus exchange to SkyTrain needed to wait for a taxi to take them to the park and ride, where the one elevator is located.

“Making public transit fully accessible has been a priority for TransLink,” said TransLink CEO, Tom Prendergast. “The Access Transit Users’ Advisory Committee has shown tireless commitment to accessibility and has provided invaluable feedback that allows us to improve our transit system.”

“We are very pleased to see this project moving forward and appreciate the contributions made by the Access Transit Users’ Advisory Committee”, said Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts, Chair of the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation. “Access for all is imperative and we are very pleased to have worked with TransLink to bring this project to fruition”.
“This is a long-anticipated day,” added Rob Sleath, Chair of the UAC. “When construction of the second elevator is complete, persons with disabilities and seniors will be able to more easily, independently and inclusively access the conventional transit, community shuttle and/or HandyDART services that frequent the Scott Road SkyTrain Station.”
Station upgrades are being completed through the Expo Line Station Review as part of TransLink’s Accessibility Commitment. Four major stations have been identified for improvements: Broadway Station is currently under construction. In 2006 an elevator was installed at Granville Station making the downtown core accessible. Future improvements are anticipated for Metrotown and Main Street Station.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:15 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

great news all around! a fully accessible system is how it should be.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 12:44 AM

I know a lot of people take the #640 to the ferry from Scott Road and I'm sure they will also appreciate the elevator!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 9:02 PM

That photo showing the hoarding on the platform is already out of date; the seats seen in the foreground have since been 'hoarded in'

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 9:24 PM

Has this Main Street Station render been posted before?

Its from the public consultation boards at this link on the TransLink website:

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Plans/Pub...t_Upgrades.asp

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 9:36 PM

^ yea, i posted that awhile ago....we were all wondering which station it was.

I think it's a shame Broadway Station isn't getting more renovations considering it's by far the busiest station.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 9:51 PM

i liked the other first rendering - this one is nice too but the other one was cooler

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 10:02 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Looking from Mr. X's rendering... it looks like they decided to remove the mezzanine level and puts the ticket concourse on the ground level. It's a much better design as it is easily accessible. This is also stated in the minutes section 3.2.

While the current renderings are quite different from what we were presented earlier, the first being much more impressive... it does answer our concerns about platform extensions. The new design, with the east side of the station being much longer, allows for easier platform extensions simply by removing the glass (vs. relocating the elevator and extending the platform if we went with the first design).

The current design does nothing to preclude fare gates from being installed in the future, which was another problem with the first design.

Interestingly enough, this station will be closed for at least four months...

Last edited by deasine; Dec 23, 2008 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 10:22 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Continuing to scan the minutes.... ahem... "Depending on how quick a funding decision is available it may be possible to have the east side station house done in 2009"

=D

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 10:23 PM

Wasn't this suppose to be all done by 2010?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Not anymore... they may be closing the station during June of 2010 now. I guess the initial plan didn't factor in the platform extensions and the inclusion of fare gates (or the space for it).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure