HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Homewood Suites at East Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

View Full Map

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 7:07 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

In lieu of screens or murals, I'd like something built to the north and south that would at least cover up the garage portions...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:12 PM

As of 09/28/18 -- I haven't seen much visible progress on this lately, but perhaps they're working on the inside of it. Even still, it's been about 2 months since I've seen anything noticeable change about this.

It's definitely topped out though, so the thread title can be changed.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 1:02 AM

I want to not like this building, but I really don't mind it except for the red box with the four windows, what the heck is that???, looks like it belongs on a crane barge, oh and the parking garage, oh and the paint scheme, oh and the stubby boxy shape of it. Actually, I don't think I like it at all, except the Van Halen red with white zig zags. This just seems like another one of those "It seemed like a good idea at the time" after thought. If they aren't standing back looking at it and saying "My God...what have we done"...they should be.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 2:02 AM

Do we know if this one is going to have any street interaction, or a bar/restaurant attached? Wondering if it's going to extend the Rainey action back onto that street at all.

Actually, is it even accessible from Rainey on foot? My memory of the area is a bit hazy... Craft Pride's doing....

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Do we know if this one is going to have any street interaction, or a bar/restaurant attached? Wondering if it's going to extend the Rainey action back onto that street at all.

Actually, is it even accessible from Rainey on foot? My memory of the area is a bit hazy... Craft Pride's doing....
I don't believe it is, no.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 10:14 PM

I thought The G at Guadalupe and 18th was the worst building I'd ever seen, I think this one might take the top spot.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 12:19 AM
クラブトクヨ

It looks like a weird birthday cake

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:40 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Is there a demo permit filed for this one yet?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post

Just cased the joint today on a lunch hour walk. There doesn't seem to be a straight shot from the hotel to Rainey, though it wouldn't seem to be hard -- the first floor garage seems to have a passthrough from its entrance on the I-35 service road to the alley behind Rainey itself. Just needs a connecting path between Bangers and whatever's next to it at this point.

The whole design is pretty unfortunate, though. The lobby is on the ground floor and faces an onramp to I-35. The traffic noise is all encompassing. At some point it won't feel so lonely, but it's surrounded by traffic, empty lots, and the Phoenician, which certainly won't win the "Most Welcoming" design award.

It's worth noting exactly how barren the parts of Rainey that aren't actually on Rainey can feel. East Ave. especially seems kind of abandoned. And we all know that's not how it will be for long, but even the fact that the next thing to break ground over there is the electrical substation . . . it's a bit of a bummer.

Unrelated to the Homewood Suites; Nate Paul's 56 East building is newly reno'd. Looks like they kicked out the halfway house altogether, remodeled, and have rented it out to a company called Zengistics. No human bodies inside yet, but they were putting in cubicles and wiring when I walked past.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:20 PM
I'm here for no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Unrelated to the Homewood Suites; Nate Paul's 56 East building is newly reno'd. Looks like they kicked out the halfway house altogether, remodeled, and have rented it out to a company called Zengistics. No human bodies inside yet, but they were putting in cubicles and wiring when I walked past.
WCC was advertising the existing 56 East building as available for a one year lease. They still have the site on the market for their fantasy 56 East 700K sq ft office project.

The Homewood Suites opening has been pushed back to 12/20. Progress is just crawling along.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin