HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 5:48 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Nashville I understand, but why do you think Raleigh is on the rise? The Hurricanes have been struggling for awhile.
My comment had to do with the city of Raleigh specifically and not how the Hurricanes are doing on the ice.

https://technical.ly/2017/05/16/rale...nnovation-hub/

"Raleigh was recently named the fourth best city in the country for fostering entrepreneurial growth. The city is home to more than 500 startups, and offers a strong cultural foundation and a deep talent pool with the nearby universities that positions it well to thrive in a global, digital economy. It’s no surprise then that Raleigh is one of the top cities in the U.S. for generating the best VC returns, as well as one of the best places for business and careers."

18% population growth rate since 2010. One of the highest per capita and household median income rates (higher than Vegas, Nashville, Dallas, etc.).

We're off-topic at this point.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:16 AM

None of the leagues want to over expand as it diminishes league revenues. Does a league get more TV money with more teams when nearly evrey major TV market already has at least one team? Not sure if does.

Also, talent has its limits. Many leagues already have talent gaps where they can't find enough quality players to fill a roster.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
2018 world Ball Hockey Championships 45 years and older in Prague. Team Canada.

Gold Medal for Canada. Beat the Czechs in final.

2 Alberta boys on the team. Me from Edmonton on defence and Graham from calgary...he's a sniper.
Where was Kerry Goulet and the Grasshoppers?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:02 PM

NBA news

Quote:
The Raptors have decided the long-term potential of Montreal’s Chris Boucher is too much to pass on.

The club decided Friday to convert the training camp contract of the 25-year-old, six-foot-10 forward into a two-way deal, assuring Boucher will play with either the NBA team or its G League affiliate for the coming season.

Boucher, born in Saint Lucia but raised in Montreal, will split his time between the teams and fill the second two-way spot the Raptors can offer. Guard Jordan Loyd is the other two-way player.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 1:09 AM

Houston will get Arizona within the next few years as a taxpayer-funded arena in Scottsdale will not happen. The Coyotes are bleeding tens of millions in losses per year and their cumulative losses since the NHL took over way back in 2009 is said to be in the hundreds of millions. The sticking point with Fertitta is the asking price. The NHL will want a minimum of $500 million so as to not diminish the value of the current franchises and also recoup their losses on the Coyotes.

Quebec can set their site on Florida and Carolina. Florida can get out of their lease if they lose $100 million within a certain prescribed timeline. Their lease is also tied to a subsidy they receive from the county which runs until 2024 or 2027...something like that. At that point - the $100 million loss or the end of the lease and subsidy - they can start looking at other options, like Quebec. If the team continues to flounder and miss the playoffs or are first round fodder over the next several seasons, they will not be able to build their gate revenues in a significant way. At that point there is a good chance that Quebec City enters the picture.

As for Carolina, their owner has signed an agreement that should see the team continue to play at their arena until 2024 - another 7 years. Again, if the team continues to struggle it's unlikely their revenues will rise to a level necessary to allow them to be viable in Raleigh. It's also not encouraging when the owner, starts nickel and diming on expenditures like head coach and GM, decreasing the chances for success. Makes one wonder how committed he is to icing an competitive team.

I can see one of these teams moving to QC in the next seven years.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 2:42 AM

Wow. Montreal Impact losing $12 million a year. Quite significant especially for a gate driven league. How has the attendance been for Impact this year? If Saputo can’t get the tax breaks he is hoping, does Montreal Impact drop out of MLS and join CPL?

https://www.tsn.ca/saputo-says-impac...ason-1.1191058

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Wow. Montreal Impact losing $12 million a year. Quite significant especially for a gate driven league. How has the attendance been for Impact this year? If Saputo can’t get the tax breaks he is hoping, does Montreal Impact drop out of MLS and join CPL?

https://www.tsn.ca/saputo-says-impac...ason-1.1191058
It would be dumb for Saputo to drop out of MLS while there are supposed talks about merging the league with Liga MX. Saputo's rich enough to withstand losing 12 million a year in the meantime.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:02 PM

Council will be asked to kill Calgary 2026 bid this week
Meghan Potkins, Calgary Herald October 29, 2018

Council’s Olympic committee will be asked Tuesday to withdraw from negotiations for a cost-sharing agreement to fund the 2026 Winter Games, cancel the Nov. 13 plebiscite and end any further work on a bid.

Following an intense weekend of negotiations, a recommendation is expected to come forward at Tuesday’s meeting of the Olympic committee to kill the bid.

“There were some last-ditch efforts happening (Monday) morning to salvage the bid, but it’s over,” said a senior municipal source with knowledge of the negotiations.

Committee members will be asked to immediately terminate the bid and cancel the plebiscite.

The decision won’t be final, however, until a full vote of council can be held Wednesday.

Talks between the parties continued Monday following a fraught weekend of negotiations that saw confidential correspondence from Mayor Naheed Nenshi published by Postmedia and accusations from the province that Ottawa isn’t bargaining in good faith.

In a letter sent to the federal government Friday, Nenshi said that with the plebiscite fast approaching, “citizens do not know what kind of a deal we are talking about despite our promises that they would have plenty of time to analyze the deal before voting.”

“This is untenable,” Nenshi wrote, warning he would ask council to terminate the bid if a deal could not be reached.

Now, council appears poised to make good on that threat Wednesday, less than two weeks before Calgarians were to head to the polls to vote on the Olympics.

Coun. Ward Sutherland said it’s been a “frustrating process” waiting for an agreement to emerge.

“We’re running out of time for Calgarians. It’s not fair,” he said.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:40 PM

Trudeau shit the bed again. I wasn't sure I would support a bid yet, but I hate that it was a stupid decision by our absentminded PM that killed it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Trudeau shit the bed again. I wasn't sure I would support a bid yet, but I hate that it was a stupid decision by our absentminded PM that killed it.
Too busy celebrating the weed implementation.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The feds are putting in nearly $2B if Calgary's referendum passes. It's the province and city that are balking on further funding to match. Hardly the PM shitting the bed here.

I could understand that comment if the feds refused to support at all.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:51 PM

Well it looks like Calgary will need to put on their big boy/girl pants and figure out a way to a private/public partnership for arena funding involving the city/province like most other Canadian cities have recently rather than rely on mostly federal funding as they did last time.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The feds are putting in nearly $2B if Calgary's referendum passes. It's the province and city that are balking on further funding to match. Hardly the PM shitting the bed here.

I could understand that comment if the feds refused to support at all.
In Alberta, it's generally a rule to hate Trudeau regardless of what he does or does not do.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Why should everyone else pay for your Olympics? Don't expect the feds to take the lead on it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Why should everyone else pay for your Olympics? Don't expect the feds to take the lead on it.
Well, the feds are all of us.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Halifax, Truro to host 2020 Women's Worlds

TSN.ca Staff

Hockey Canada announced on Tuesday that the 2020 IIHF Women's World Championship will take place in Halifax and Truro, Nova Scotia.

The tournament will be played between the Scotiabank Centre in Halifax and the Rath Eastlink Community Centre in Truro. It marks the eighth time Canada has welcomed the best women's teams from around the world. Halifax previously hosted the women's worlds in 2004.

“We are very confident in Halifax and Truro as hosts for this event,” said Hockey Canada president and chief operating officer, Scott Smith. “They have a proven track record of hosting events of this caliber, and getting the chance to showcase the best female players in the world on Canadian ice is something young fans will remember for a long time.”

Halifax is the only city to host the IIHF Women’s World Championship, IIHF World Championship (2008) and IIHF World Junior Championship (2003), and Truro recently spent time in the hockey spotlight as host of the 2017 World Junior A Challenge.

Canada’s National Women’s Team has appeared in every gold medal game at the IIHF Women’s World Championship, winning 10 gold medals (1990, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2012) and eight silver medals (2005, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017).
https://www.tsn.ca/halifax-truro-to-...rlds-1.1200790

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Didn’t everyone else help pay for the Vancouver olympics?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in favor of these Olympics, as it is, to me, not in favor of the tax payer.

But the attitude you exemplify, which I am sure is shared throughout the country, and I don’t blame you, puts into question the intent of our Confederation, i.e. Why should I, as an Albertan, pay for anything in Quebec (or Ontario, or maritimes, etc)?

At least the Olympics is one of a very short list of events which does actually unite the country, which is in part why you should help pay for it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Didn’t everyone else help pay for the Vancouver olympics?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in favor of these Olympics, as it is, to me, not in favor of the tax payer.

But the attitude you exemplify, which I am sure is shared throughout the country, and I don’t blame you, puts into question the intent of our Confederation, i.e. Why should I, as an Albertan, pay for anything in Quebec (or Ontario, or maritimes, etc)?

At least the Olympics is one of a very short list of events which does actually unite the country, which is in part why you should help pay for it.
Everyone did pay for the Vancouver Olympics, sure, but the federal government had a relatively small role compared to the provincial government, the IOC, and Vancouver itself (excluding security costs, which is a unique issue that is harder to predict).

The issue I have with Calgary's current bid is that Calgary and the bid committee wanted Ottawa to pay for a significantly bigger piece of the pie this time, and that is ridiculous. The reasoning seems to be that Ottawa should fill in the gaps that Calgary and Alberta cannot afford, but I feel the primary responsibility for things like the Olympics rests with local government. The Olympics might unite a country for a few weeks, but the vast majority of the economic and social impact goes to the host city/province.

I'm not saying I am opposed to federal funding for the Olympics, because there's no way Canada would get them otherwise. But it has to be done in a reasonable manner, and to me that means a majority of the funding has to come from Albertan taxpayers. Thinking Ottawa should cover what Alberta and Calgary can't/doesn't want to is not the way to approach it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Everyone did pay for the Vancouver Olympics, sure, but the federal government had a relatively small role compared to the provincial government, the IOC, and Vancouver itself (excluding security costs, which is a unique issue that is harder to predict).

The issue I have with Calgary's current bid is that Calgary and the bid committee wanted Ottawa to pay for a significantly bigger piece of the pie this time, and that is ridiculous. The reasoning seems to be that Ottawa should fill in the gaps that Calgary and Alberta cannot afford, but I feel the primary responsibility for things like the Olympics rests with local government. The Olympics might unite a country for a few weeks, but the vast majority of the economic and social impact goes to the host city/province.

I'm not saying I am opposed to federal funding for the Olympics, because there's no way Canada would get them otherwise. But it has to be done in a reasonable manner, and to me that means a majority of the funding has to come from Albertan taxpayers. Thinking Ottawa should cover what Alberta and Calgary can't/doesn't want to is not the way to approach it.
I'm too lazy to look up the break down of the spending for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, but I wonder what the percentage of the final costs were borne by each level of government - municipal, provincial, federal?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:25 PM

I always thought most of the cost the Olympics games was paid buy sponsorship and auctioning of broadcast rights.
2010 Olympics in Vancouver cost less than $600 million for all levels of Gov of tax payer funds for pre games infrastructure & renovations to venues in Vancouver & Whistler.

My guess is that Ottawa has scaled back any funds for the games to the point where it's not viable.

to put it all into prospective:

Winnipeg Pan Am Games in 1999 complete cost of $129 million to host.

Flash-forward 16 years later, Federal Government alone paid half a billion dollars for Pan Am Games in be be hosted in Toronto.

Doesn't seem as much of a bargain second time around

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada