HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 10:08 PM

^Still trying to figure this one out. The ground floor outline appears to compliment the recently redone building to the left which implies its owned by the same developer but it is listed as a commercial project with no planned residential units.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 3:50 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...outh-1.4815622
I think this is a really bad idea, there are already too many houses and seadoos on the Dartmouth lakes.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Still trying to figure this one out. The ground floor outline appears to compliment the recently redone building to the left which implies its owned by the same developer but it is listed as a commercial project with no planned residential units.
It is the same developer as the other two buildings built on the same block over the last decade.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...outh-1.4815622
I think this is a really bad idea, there are already too many houses and seadoos on the Dartmouth lakes.
My thoughts as well. I didn't see it when I skimmed the article, but what happens to the wastewater from this house? Seems to me the Dartmouth lakes are already having problems with high bacteria counts - can't see this as improving the situation...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
My thoughts as well. I didn't see it when I skimmed the article, but what happens to the wastewater from this house? Seems to me the Dartmouth lakes are already having problems with high bacteria counts - can't see this as improving the situation...
They don't have water/sewage hooked up, they mention that it could be hooked up to a neighboring property, probably across the road, I think all these water properties belong to the properties across the road.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
They don't have water/sewage hooked up, they mention that it could be hooked up to a neighboring property, probably across the road, I think all these water properties belong to the properties across the road.
Interesting - then without services they are just a large boat, not a house. In the real world, however, I am suspect as to how failsafe these hookups would be, especially when the lake freezes over in the wintertime. There's a reason why regular services must be dug below the frost line.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 10:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
No details are available but 1874 Brunswick Street is going to Design Review Committee for a preliminary presentation. This is the gray office building located just below The Pearl at Brunswick/Gottingen/Duke.

Anyone have any ideas or insider information?

EDIT: The presenter is an architect based out of St. John's. Fougere Menchenton
Does anyone have any details from this meeting?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A report relating to 5426 Portland Place with some elevations: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...0918rc1414.pdf

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:13 PM

Art of City Building is back this year October 29
https://www.artofcitybuilding.ca/agenda/

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corker View Post
I see Canada Lands Company is starting a community consultation process for redevelopment of the former RCMP property at 3151/3139 Oxford Street. Two properties total approximately 4.5 acres. A session is happening on Wednesday evening, March 28.

http://en.clc.ca/property/576

This is across the Oxford/Bayers Road intersection from the 3090 Oxford proposal.
I took a stroll the other evening down Oxford and see that the RCMP building has now been demolished. The building being used by CBSC, on the corner of Oxford and Bayers Road is still standing but is to come down next year after they vacate.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:57 AM

Anyone know what they are building beside the relocated Stadacona entrance (Gottingen and Almon)? In the Google Earth image from December 2017 there is a sizable building foundation under construction.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Anyone know what they are building beside the relocated Stadacona entrance (Gottingen and Almon)? In the Google Earth image from December 2017 there is a sizable building foundation under construction.
I heard it is a drill shed. I drove by last night, they are putting the exterior on, it looks like it will be a pre-cast warehouse.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I heard it is a drill shed. I drove by last night, they are putting the exterior on, it looks like it will be a pre-cast warehouse.
Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:00 PM

Most Halifax cranes halted as operators strike

Quote:
Most of the cranes in Halifax will be still for the next few weeks as their operators take to the picket line, likely delaying major projects like Queen’s Marque.

More than 100 members of the Operating Engineers, Local 721 in Halifax and across mainland Nova Scotia walked off the job Wednesday in a legal strike.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 3:31 AM

Heh. Someone gave me an IUOE 721 hat a few years ago. I shall wear it in solidarity.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 4:24 PM

The empty lot on Kemp south of Kia has been cleared of cars and construction fencing has started to go up. I think a new VW dealership is planned here, there was a story about it a few years ago when Hillcrest became part of the O’Regan’s group.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The empty lot on Kemp south of Kia has been cleared of cars and construction fencing has started to go up. I think a new VW dealership is planned here, there was a story about it a few years ago when Hillcrest became part of the O’Regan’s group.
What O'Regans really need to do is relocate their GM dealership from the ancient location on Robie to something new in a location like this. But the VW dealer facility is also ancient and small, so it seems likely this is what is happening here.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:33 AM

Not sure if this has been posted yet or whether there's more info but I noticed this earlier today, a redevelopment plan for the Tramway Building. It looks like they are retaining the facade and possibly some aspects of the interior/structure, keeping the ground floor commercial and converting the upper floors to residential, adding a 2-storey residential addition for a total of about 52 [edit: 32] units. Notably, there doesn't seem to be any parking included (unless the existing building already includes a parkade)/ I guess this is probably the case for a lot of existing apartment units downtown, especially above street level on streets like Barrington:

Tramway Building notice by Hali87, on Flickr

Last edited by Hali87; Oct 30, 2018 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:34 AM

In other news, large slabs of the granite trim on the old WTCC have been removed.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting find. Thanks for posting. 52 units is a lot for a building that size. The floor plan shows that they will mostly be studios.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth