HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:10 AM
TL;DR

^ It's already a sprawling suburban hodge-podge. What I'm upset about is the "expansion space".

Why is LSU sitting on this vacant land (which will never be used) when they could sell it to developers? God knows the state could use the money. The western parcel has direct access to Bayou St. John.... they could make millions by selling the land for luxury housing of some kind.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 1:28 PM

More Superdome Renovation Videos/Pics

I don't know how to embed this video. See Article

I think we've already seen most of these Pics

Here is another article with a more recent Video. At the end, they say Champions Square won't be open for Friday's game (as we already expected), but should be open for the next home pre season game on Sept 1st. It says that they are already in talks with vendors putting up permanent food stands inside the old Macy's food court, and that construction will begin during the regular season, and should complete in time for the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited by dgpatel; Aug 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 1:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ It's already a sprawling suburban hodge-podge. What I'm upset about is the "expansion space".

Why is LSU sitting on this vacant land (which will never be used) when they could sell it to developers? God knows the state could use the money. The western parcel has direct access to Bayou St. John.... they could make millions by selling the land for luxury housing of some kind.
I agree! But I doubt they will sell it so at least its getting an upgrade, but its clear that LSU is stuck in a past design asthetic. Veterans Hospital plan compared to LSUs original clearly shows that.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:42 PM

Snake and Jakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
How is it legal for these commissions to continue holding meetings when a quorum is not present? It's a little like showing up to the bar with a shirt, boxers, and one shoe.
Well, you can always go to Snake and Jakes Christmas Club lounge where clothing is optional, but I hear your point.

I woke up and checked nola.com this morning to see if they had posted an article about 1031 and immediately was disgusted.

I love nola, but seriously. You would think that after the HDLC made a laughingstock of themselves (see the CityBusiness article on how completely disfunctional they are...one member has missed like 90% of meetings in the last year) that another city commission would say "you know what guys and girls, we can't look as stupid as they do...let's all show up."

But, no, that's too much to ask.

I'd be willing to bet that it soars through the City Council. They are one of the few responsible bodies of government we have in this city.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:47 PM

Stennis-Michoud activity

While this is all still speculative, it is good to see some action happening in the laughably lacking aerospace sector of the local economy which is one of the largest US exports. And do something with the first class Michoud manufacturing facilities. And maybe give me a job :

http://www.wdam.com/story/15234948/a...-jobs-to-ms-la

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTwins View Post
While this is all still speculative, it is good to see some action happening in the laughably lacking aerospace sector of the local economy which is one of the largest US exports. And do something with the first class Michoud manufacturing facilities. And maybe give me a job :

http://www.wdam.com/story/15234948/a...-jobs-to-ms-la
FrenchTwins, that's great news! If you go to NASA's website you will notice they do not have that many facilities around the country, and to have two placed so closely together in this area really could be an advantage if marketed correctly. It would be nice to see companies of the sort conglomerating in New Orleans East.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 6:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
FrenchTwins, that's great news! If you go to NASA's website you will notice they do not have that many facilities around the country, and to have two placed so closely together in this area really could be an advantage if marketed correctly. It would be nice to see companies of the sort conglomerating in New Orleans East.
Totally agree the combination of Stennis and Michoud and the large port infrastructure not too mention that it would have the muscle of two states behind it, this could really turn into something.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 11:28 PM

I know Michoud has a machine called a "stir-welder" or something that is a really sophisticated piece of equipment and hard to find. Maybe that could help, just throwing that out there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 2:13 PM
-

Serious question here so Id appreciate everyones input:

Do you think a condo building like this would be a good fit for the Warehouse District?

Cheers

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

Do you think a condo building like this would be a good fit for the Warehouse District?

Cheers
I think the Warehouse District would be the perfect spot for something like that. I would love to see more 3-8 story apartment buildings similar to that in other parts of the city as well, similar to what's in San Francisco.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 3:20 PM

Quote:

Cheers
I think the Wharehouse district is the ideal place for modern infill projects like this. Since its a recently residential area, designs that are more cutting edge would succeed there with little protest (cough 1031 canal). I'm not a huge fan of those windows popping out, but the height (could even go taller) and materials would fit the industrial style of the area well.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTwins View Post
I think the Wharehouse district is the ideal place for modern infill projects like this. Since its a recently residential area, designs that are more cutting edge would succeed there with little protest (cough 1031 canal). I'm not a huge fan of those windows popping out, but the height (could even go taller) and materials would fit the industrial style of the area well.
That reminds me of this building which is on the back side of the building next to Couchon. Hard to see because the google earth car didn't go down the other side, but it's the one with the utility van in front. i've noticed it in person and like it.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=29.942711...83.31,,0,-1.55

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 5:53 PM
-

I've got a piece of property I think it could fit on... I'm thinking of doing a traditional brick facade for the first four floors and the set back portion would be a glass structure that rises 3-4 more floors

What you guys think of that?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 6:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I've got a piece of property I think it could fit on... I'm thinking of doing a traditional brick facade for the first four floors and the set back portion would be a glass structure that rises 3-4 more floors

The brick should not go any higher than the second story. Doing a "contextual" base like that also reflects the difference in usage on the interior: brick covering the lobby/common spaces, with glass on the upper stories. If you extend the brick any higher, then you have some units behind a brick facade with small windows, and some units with lots of glass.

You may also find it cheaper to install 2 more floors of curtain wall than to install 2 more floors of masonry.

I'd also advise against making the brick portion too traditional in terms of cornices, arches, decorative stuff... Instead, you should go for a simple design that has a lot of patina/texture. Maybe use recycled bricks, or you could do the rusty cor-ten steel like in the photo shown. (At all costs, avoid using the oversized bricks that are popular nowadays)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 6:57 PM

Quote:

As long as its within zoning I think it could work. If not, good luck with the red tape associated with that. One more thing, put a pool or deck on the roof if you can.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:01 PM

Tennis' building

Tennis, if you want to go the green building route with recycle brick and other features like that I think you can get tax credits. Here's an interesting hostel that I stayed at in Toronto that may give you some ideas

http://theplanettraveler.com/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:28 PM

Quote:

I think it would be good, so long as the brick part is done tastefully and traditionally, but if you're going to be building a 6-8 story building in the Warehouse District, these are some beautiful examples I think would fit in as well:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 9:05 PM
-

Thanks for the feedback guys! I agree that the brick work would be tricky and may be better done on the bottom two floors but to get the most square footage out of the site Id need to go the full four floors. Also, the zoning would allow it as Im following exactly whats allowed under current zoning for the site which can take it to 45 feet with in 30 of street and after that the building can go to 100 feet. So I would fall within that. One idea is to do a small boutique hotel with about 2500 sqft of ground retail and a rooftop similar to this one I just went to in Toronto at the Thompson Hotel.

Cheers

On Another note I saw lots of progress happening at the Dixie Mill site for the steakhouse and Mannings is finally going vertical with the steel frame beginning to be constructed. No idea why that project has taken so long!!!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 10:56 PM

dont really post much.. but it looks like they didnt show up again.
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...alls-it-again/

Kinda sucks

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 4:38 AM

Champions Square almost ready!!!

This is an aerial picture of Champions Square from today. Interviews say work should be completed September 1, and the LED lights should be on by September 18.

I'm noticing that the paving stones being used for the ground level are being used for the staircase plaza and landings. Someone please re-assure me that this is a good idea, and that it won't become dated looking in a few years. I'm just being paranoid, right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations