HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:02 PM
BANNED

^ I'm not sure why there was ever talk on here about the possibility of Chevron locating a regional office downtown... beyond "wouldn't it be cool" dreaming.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 9:01 PM
Eurosceptic

Regardless... it sounds like Chevron's plans should be very good for the region.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 9:43 PM
BANNED

^ Sure. They've grown a presence here and I've done some consulting work with them out in Moon Twp, where they've slapped their logo up on a building by the airport.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 11:26 PM

I'll bet that Chevron is the company looking at the McLaren acreage that was mentioned in the US Steel article.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 11:31 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Regardless... it sounds like Chevron's plans should be very good for the region.
Agreed. Not to mention, I'm sure Chevron will have other facilities, not just professional office jobs, located wherever they choose to locate. It seems that most operators out here in SW PA are looking at consolidated facilities that combine their office, technical and administrative positions with other more industrial/drilling associated positions, and many of them have maintenance/shop facilities along with them. Very different from other places where the two distinct types of operations tend to be in different locations.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 11:47 PM

It's a little ironic to talk about Chevron locating in Pittsburgh, because wasn't that who bought out Gulf Oil, the former owner of one of the city's most iconic buildings - The Gulf Building on Grant.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
It's a little ironic to talk about Chevron locating in Pittsburgh, because wasn't that who bought out Gulf Oil, the former owner of one of the city's most iconic buildings - The Gulf Building on Grant.
You are correct, Johnland. I believe it was in 1985, when Pittsburgh was the third largest corporate headquarters city behind NYC & Chicago. It was one of the first in a string of corporate headquarter losses for Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:17 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego43 View Post
You are correct, Johnland. I believe it was in 1985, when Pittsburgh was the third largest corporate headquarters city behind NYC & Chicago. It was one of the first in a string of corporate headquarter losses for Pittsburgh.
Was it before or after Rockwell?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:54 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

As a real estate agent, me and my mother who are a team have sold several homes lately to Chevron employees. They bought Atlas Pipeline here in Moon Twp for something like $4.5 billion, one of several multi billion dollar deals to take place fairly quietly recently. Chevron is shipping so many people up here I wouldn't be suprised if they build their own building. It wouldn't be huge. Probably a couple hundred thousand square feet I'm thinking.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:59 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Some here may recall that Desmone submitted a design for a proposed 26-story "sliver hotel" tower for the 900 block of Penn about 6 or so years ago
http://www.desmone.com/Portfolio/Pro...d-794e9376ef50

I love sliver buildings. They are so efficient and make great use of space! I would LOOVE to see this type of development in Pgh.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Was it before or after Rockwell?
Yes, Gulf Oil went before Rockwell. I just did some searching, and an article in the LA Times announced the move to El Segundo in May, 1988.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 9:20 PM
Eurosceptic

I thought that was a pretty cornball article... but I suppose every bit of "positivity" is good for updating the collective perception of Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 9:33 PM
BANNED

^ Cornball is an apt description for the article. Actually, you are being generous. The "article" is really pretty poor. Just included it to go with the list of all the other national publications which have heaped some praise on Pittsburgh's resurgence.

It seems like it's actually becoming a requirement for magazines and newspapers to do at least one piece on "rustbelt" cities coming back.

Also, weird how the main part of the "Rust Belt Revival" article features Cleveland, Toledo, Youngstown, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Grand Rapids, Detroit... and then rather bizarrely, Braddock and Glenshaw. Why not just include them with Pittsburgh? Glenshaw?!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Makeover plans revealed for East Liberty buildings

The historic Highland Building in East Liberty will get a makeover worthy of its roots as part of a plan to transform it into a 110-unit apartment complex.

Developer Highland Wallace Joint Venture will be replacing windows, repairing the building's white terra cotta finish, repointing brick, and making other improvements designed to return the structure to its opening day look.

It also will be maintaining sections of the building's main staircase and bringing back the look of the lobby, with its marbled walls and terrazzo floors.

"The building itself will be restored to its original 1909 grandeur," Joseph Serrao of TKA Architects told the city planning commission Tuesday.

Commission members were briefed on the $30 million project advanced by the developer to convert the Highland Building and the adjacent Wallace Building into apartments, with a 182-space, four-level parking garage built between the two structures.

Mr. Serrao said one of the goals of the project is to restore the original look of both buildings as much as possible. The 13-story Highland Building, a former office complex that has been vacant for more than two decades, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

It was designed by famed architect Daniel H. Burnham and built by Pittsburgh industrialist Henry Clay Frick.

Under the redevelopment plan, 12 of the 13 floors will be converted into apartments. Most will be one-bedroom units. However, the two top floors will house penthouse apartments with upgraded kitchens and bathrooms and washers and dryers in the units themselves.

While the outside of the building will be restored, most of the inside will be gutted to make way for the apartments. The first floor will be used for a fitness center, a community room and management offices.

The three-story Wallace Building, built in the early 20th century, will be transformed into 18 apartments, nine on each of the two upper floors. The first floor will be used for retail.

Highland Wallace, a partnership involving Walnut Capital and Massaro Properties, also plans to restore the facade of that building. It will clean the masonry, repair or replace stone detailing, and restore the original steel columns. The developer also is using old photographs to rebuild the storefronts of the building.

Gregg Perelman, a Walnut Capital principal, said the apartment units should be ready by June 2013. The one-bedroom units will start at $1,100 a month.

He believes the space will attract a lot of attention from young professionals and graduate students who are attending the nearby universities. Shuttles to Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh run by the Highland Building, he said.

The project will come before the planning commission for a vote in a month.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ldings-629803/

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:15 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...begins-629861/

The part of Homewood known as the "killing fields" is coming down. Anyone want to speculate what should go in its place? I'm thinking some kind of community center or park should replace that craphole. They need to do something that will actually go into revitalizing this community without driving away the population.

This used to be a very vibrant jazzy neighborhood. I doubt THAT aspect will come back tho.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:53 PM
More Varieties to Come

Thank god they are finally getting rid of those, driving past that area even during the day was uneasy.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:59 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...begins-629861/

The part of Homewood known as the "killing fields" is coming down. Anyone want to speculate what should go in its place? I'm thinking some kind of community center or park should replace that craphole. They need to do something that will actually go into revitalizing this community without driving away the population.
A 2-story Toby Keith I Love This Bar & Grill

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:06 AM
More Varieties to Come

http://www.popcitymedia.com/features...use032812.aspx

Came across this nice article while browsing today.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:57 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattofSloppyVariety View Post
Thank god they are finally getting rid of those, driving past that area even during the day was uneasy.
I've never been to homewood, well except for the times I took Amtrak - the tracks go right through there. Anyway, I looked at that area on google Earth, and man, that IS a scary place!

Quote:
A 2-story Toby Keith I Love This Bar & Grill

Nice one, smart ass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattofSloppyVariety View Post
http://www.popcitymedia.com/features...use032812.aspx

Came across this nice article while browsing today.
Nice to see South Hills High School get some reuse. My dad is a graduate of that school. I thought there was something already in store for the old Alcoa Building...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations