HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 8:12 PM

The end of every month as people move, the autobins in my area are full of mattresses and futons and various furniture pieces.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 12:23 AM

Hi again guys

I just received the acceptation letter from the Unviersity of Manitoba, so now it's a sure thing I will be going to Winnipeg for the Fall term, I'm so happy I'll be in your city so soon. The only things that I need to do is find a place to stay, it's been harder than expected, so if you guys are renting a room, need a roommate or know someone who does please let me know, I can pay up to $530 CDN per month. And I will be there from August 31 to December 30.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:47 AM
Creative Accountant

Hey, I am looking to sublease my one bedroom apartment that is $414 a month starting Sept 1. Send me a message if you are interested. The address is 190 Colony, it close to a bus route to a direct route to the university. I also have a good friend from Mexico City who lives in Winnipeg now, you will have to meet him.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yo congratz on getting accepted to the u of m

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 3:35 AM

Thank you 1ajs

I would like to meet your friend Donovanf

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 11:22 PM
Youth of a Nation

For anyone wanting to see the Moose game tonight.. You can watch it on the massive GlobalTV TV downtown.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 6:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Bike to Work Day
Friday, June 19. Bike to Work Day Winnipeg is our chance to celebrate the bicycle as a safe, fun and healthy mode of transportation. Register for your chance to win prizes!

Rockin' the District Block Party
June 19-20. Three-day block party in the Exchange District. Free concerts, fashion shows and more!

Central Market for Global Families Opening
Grand kick off of new market in Central Park. Market will be open Fridays and Saturdays for the whole summer.
Saturdays: June 20 – end of August
Time: 10am – 2pm
Fridays: June 27 – end of August
Time: 4pm – 10pm

2009 Groove-FM Jazz Winnipeg Festival
June 26 to July 5

Tuesday, June 23 - FESTIVAL PREVIEW SHOW
Derek Trucks Band with Romi Mayes Band, Pantages Playhouse Theatre, 8:00 pm
Friday, June 26 - Branford Marsalis Quartet with Michelle Grégoire Quintet, Pantages Playhouse Theatre, 8:00 pm
Vieux Farka Touré with NAfro Band, Pyramid Cabaret, 10:00 pm
Ndidi Onukwulu, Times Change(d) High & Lonesome Club, 9:30 pm and Midnight
Click here to see the entire line up.

Video Games Live festival

Monday July 6 8:00 pm
Tuesday July 7 8:00 pm
Wednesday July 8 8:00 pm
Pre-concert events begin at 6:00 pm
Video Games Live is a groundbreaking event celebrating the music of video games. Experience the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and choir, accompanied by synchronized video, lighting, special effects, crowd interactivity and live action.
On July 6, 7 and 8, the WSO is proud to host Video Games Live for a unique 3-day festival, which includes two nights of concerts surrounding a Guitar Hero® showdown. Hear music from your favourite video games, including Mario®, Zelda®, Halo® and Warcraft®.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 6:54 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Tense moments at court office

Angry motorists take photo-radar frustrations out on sheriff's officers

By: Mike McIntyre
17/06/2009 1:00 AM | Comments: 10

Manitoba's photo radar flap has led to increased hostilities -- and beefed-up security -- at a downtown court office.
Several provincial sheriff's officers have said they've become targets for citizens looking to vent their rage after learning they won't get refunds for their construction zone speeding tickets.
[IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/240*393/1255445.jpg[/IMG] Enlarge Image
(PHIL.HOSSACK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA)

"It's getting crazy over there," one officer said Tuesday, referring to the Summary Conviction Court at 373 Broadway. "People aren't happy."
There have been at least four recent incidents that involved heated confrontations between members of the public, provincial magistrates and the sheriffs who patrol the courts. The most serious spilled out of the building and onto the sidewalk and involved one irate man swinging at an officer. There were no injuries.
Security has been increased because of the rising tensions, according to the sheriffs.
Dave Brickwood, assistant deputy minister of the courts, confirmed Tuesday there have been two recent incidents that ended with Winnipeg police being called. He doesn't believe criminal charges were laid in either case because there may have been "other factors" involved, such as mental illness.
"People seem to get a bit passionate about their tickets every now and then," he said. However, Brickwood downplayed any security concerns raised by front-line officers, saying it was basically "business as usual."
Photo radar made headlines earlier this year when third-year University of Manitoba law student Jodi Koffman successfully argued it was the intention of lawmakers to only enforce reduced speeds in construction zones when workers are present and not otherwise. Magistate Norm Sundstrom agreed in dismissing nine tickets. In a written decision he said in all of the cases before him the motorists were proven to have exceeded the temporary posted speed of 60 km/h -- not the actual 80 km/h speed limit -- in worker-free construction zones.
The Crown immediately filed an appeal, but the city was caught off guard earlier this month when the province announced it was abandoning its fight. What made it worse for the city and the police traffic division is that the Crown also said the public works department had not properly installed signs at the end of photo-enforced construction zones to tell drivers they could increase their speed to the posted limit. Because of that, the Crown also announced it would drop 875 speeding offences still before the courts on the basis it could not prosecute because of the lack of signage.
The decision later outraged the public when Justice Minister Dave Chomiak said tickets issued last year would not be refunded where an estimated $10 million in fines had already been paid to the city and province.
The province has now set in law how police can use photo radar in construction zones.
The new rules say city-run speed-enforcement cameras can only be used in construction zones when workers are present. If no workers are present, there must be a specific safety risk for police to enforce reduced speeds on weekends. There also must be a proper sign in place advising drivers they are entering a construction zone with a reduced speed and a second sign at the end of the construction zone advising drivers they can resume travelling the posted speed limit.
Meanwhile, a Winnipeg man has initiated a class-action lawsuit against the City of Winnipeg, alleging the city improperly collected the photo-radar fines. The legal action must still be accepted by the courts as a class-action suit on behalf of all motorists. The statement of claim says the city "unjustly enriched itself at the expense of the plaintiffs" and that all fines, fees and other penalties imposed through the photo-radar tickets, "were without colour of right and thus should not have been levied, imposed, sought or collected."
www.mikeoncrime.com

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 3:58 PM

man it's nice seen ART like this at the corner of P&M. not those fugly dog or bycycle status along portage, or god help me the 'bears'. too bad other large companies like greatwest or IG didn't have something like this outside their building. this is classy!!!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 5:08 PM
ILYR

Looks like a solid economy is also making its way to the Blue Bombers.

27,742 people out to the Bombers pre-season game! Let the summer commence.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 5:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea and they won!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Looks like a solid economy is also making its way to the Blue Bombers.

27,742 people out to the Bombers pre-season game! Let the summer commence.
i agree, it was great to see, however tickets were free to season ticket holder (they got 2 each).

go BLUE go

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 9:54 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
man it's nice seen ART like this at the corner of P&M. not those fugly dog or bycycle status along portage, or god help me the 'bears'. too bad other large companies like greatwest or IG didn't have something like this outside their building. this is classy!!!

I totally agree.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 10:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

today the farimont had a lober lunch meal thing going on in the plazza i missed ut as i had stoped at city hall instead and had a bizson burger and sat and listened to live music

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 3:08 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Isn't there an art structure in front of the GWL building? Some men on horseback, IIRC.

Also...

Quote:
New Assiniboine Park plan to be unveiled Friday

By: Bartley Kives

18/06/2009 4:50 PM | Comments: 1

The new arm’s-length body responsible for running Assiniboine Park will announce its long-term plan to improve the green space on Friday morning.

The Assiniboine Park Conservancy will unveil its plans at a 10 a.m. press conference at the Pavilion in Assiniboine Park.

The conservancy is responsible for raising public and private money to reverse the decline of the park, which faces a $200 million infrastructure deficit.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Isn't there an art structure in front of the GWL building? Some men on horseback, IIRC.

Also...
phase 1 will be a new playground for kids (nature themed), bigger duck pond, some type of concession building and a lazy river for tubing. I LOVE THE RIVER TUBING idea!!! I wonder what it'll cost? $4 person all day would be reasonable. too bad it'll only be open 3 months a year

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 6:36 PM

WHO?

PM names Lee as Manitoba's new Lieutenant Governor

OTTAWA -- Manitoba’s new Lieutenant Governor will be a Chinese immigrant to Canada and long-time City of Winnipeg employee.

Philip Lee was named by the Prime Minister’s Office Friday.

Lee was born in Hong Kong but came to Canada in 1962 to study at the University of Manitoba.

He graduated with bachelor of science in 1966 and a public administration diploma in 1977.

He worked for the City of Winnipeg from 1967 to 2005, first as a research chemist in the area of water research. When he retired, he was the Branch Head Chemist in charge of Winnipeg’s Industrial Waste Control Program.

Lee has also been active in the Chinese community in Winnipeg and was a key player in the construction of the Winnipeg Chinese Cultural and Community Centre in Winnipeg’s Dynasty Building, the Chinese Gate and Garden and the Mandarin Building.

He is a former vice-president of the Folk Arts Council, served on the City of Winnipeg’s Refugee Assistance Committee, was on the Multiculturalism Council of Canada.

He was named to the Order of Canada in 1999.

He is married and has three daughters.

The announcement ends a lot of speculation over the new appointment to replace John Harvard, whose term is set to expire next month

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 6:51 PM
The Loyal Opposition

I miss Aunt Sally's Farm, they should bring that back!

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jun 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 7:43 PM

this picture is probably the reason it is no longer, that cannot be healthy lol.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 3:43 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
this picture is probably the reason it is no longer, that cannot be healthy lol.
so what you're saying is slipping a pig the tongue is what.. an unhealthy activity?? ... yeah I'd say your onto something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan