HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 6:38 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

just as an aside, thanks for the word "commentariat"

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 6:51 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
It seemed that most of the movement at the end of the campaign, beyond undecideds settling, was from Higgins to Nenshi. The any one but McIver vote shifted pretty hard when Higgins ran into some problems and Nenshi looked like he could actually win. McIver's support stayed incredibly stable during the entire campaign. I know some of his supporters were wondering why he did not move against Nenshi during the campaign but I have a feeling that was by design. They needed Nenshi to become just viable enough to drop Higgins' support below their's. They just did not count on that momentum then carrying Nenshi so far. If they had actually moved hard against Nenshi it would either work, allowing Higgins to remain the front runner, or legitimized Nenshi to thoroughly, turning him into the any one but McIver candidate.

What a lot of the commentariat did not seem to grasp was that this was not McIver's election to lose. He appealed, very strongly, to a certain segment of the population that, while loud, does not represent a majority of the city. A lot of people may have disagreed with the Peace Bridge but they very much agreed with the general direction that the city was moving in and was for the city building infrastructure; a lot of people may have been mad at council but they were mad at aldermen other than their own and the polarized atmosphere that McIver was at least as responsible for as Bronconnier. For McIver to have won he would have needed a much more fractured playing field. Something like Higgins, Nenshi, and Hawkesworth all splitting the other two thirds of the vote. It did not happen.

The real race was for the two thirds of the vote that went to Nenshi and Higgins. They both shared two important strengths. First, they were both representative of the way the city was moving. They were both pro-Plan It, generally supportive of what Bronconnier had been pushing for regarding transit expansion and such, and tied to a youthful, dynamic image of a city that wants culture. Secondly, they were both free from the baggage of some of the bitter fights that marked the last council session. What made the difference was Nenshi's ideas and attitudes. He was the better candidate and he ran the better campaign. It just took a little luck to get him into a decent position and he was able to capitalize on those strengths, placing him in the mayor's chair today.
Well said. Am still also meeting people that said they would have voted for Nenshi but had no idea who he was until after the election. It's hard to say whether negative campaigning against Nenshi would have backfired or helped him gain greater recognition as well as further rallied the pro-Plan It vote.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 7:45 PM

Has Nenshi ever given his opinion about public money helping to build a new Flames Arena? just wondering

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 8:21 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
Has Nenshi ever given his opinion about public money helping to build a new Flames Arena? just wondering
I believe Joe Connelly was the only mayoral politician to support municipal tax revenues for a replacement for the Saddledome.

From the Canadian Taxpayers Foundation Survey:

http://www.taxpayer.com/sites/defaul...%20Calgary.pdf

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Anyone else attending the swearing in ceremony tonight?
heading down in about 10 minutes, anyone else going?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
heading down in about 10 minutes, anyone else going?
Yep, I'm leaving in a couple minutes to walk over.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 11:59 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Just me now, Mrs. Bigtime and Littletime are staying in. Walking over in a few minutes, I'll keep an eye out for fellow forumers!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 12:30 AM
The City That Moves

CTV is reporting that Rob Ford has been elected mayor in Toronto. Ouch!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
Personally, I love the symmetry.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:07 AM

Watching it on Shaw 10, I wish our city council was post-religious. Really, what does this crap have to do with tunnels, interchanges, transit, etc? Bah!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
I thought it would be funny but, after seeing Ford win, it is just kind of sad.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:51 AM
IMHO

Would someone be willing to give a quick summary of Ford's views on building Toronto infrastructure? Main policies in general? I'm just too tired to go digging around on the internets, or SSP

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:26 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Ford is planning to destroy infrastructure; he's actually proposed digging up the streetcar network because streetcars interfere with cars.

Main pet peeves:
- paying taxes
- liberals
- cyclists
- festivals
- gay people
- "Orientals" (his word)
- immigrants

As near as I can tell, he's a caricature of what people think of when they think of a typical Calgary politician crossed with a Tea Bagger.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:40 AM

The defining feature of Ford's platform is fiscal conservatism. Reduce city spending by concentrating on core functions (e.g. police, subway, etc), reducing civic jobs, and negotiating seriously with the unions.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:17 AM
The City That Moves

Langevin Bridge bathed in purple for Nenshi swearing in ceremony - October 25, 2010

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Naheed+...918/story.html

Also, the Riverwalk light LED's were lit up purple as well tonight (can see one of the light standards at bottom right). Took some photos, but Riverwalk standards LED colour was off cuz I couldn't figure out the white balance.

Last edited by Radley77; Oct 26, 2010 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:54 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
Ford is planning to destroy infrastructure; he's actually proposed digging up the streetcar network because streetcars interfere with cars.

Main pet peeves:
- paying taxes
- liberals
- cyclists
- festivals
- gay people
- "Orientals" (his word)
- immigrants

As near as I can tell, he's a caricature of what people think of when they think of a typical Calgary politician crossed with a Tea Bagger.

Wow. Thanks for the summation. My condolences to any Torontonians reading along here.

I was listening to CBC at work today about how people in Toronto were envious of Calgarians for having a choice such as Nenshi - according to the talking head who's name didn't register, the TO race was down to Ford vs. a "I'm not Ford" platform. I'd have never thought in my wildest dreams that Torontonians would be envious of the politicians available out here, no matter what level of politics we are talking.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 5:04 AM

Nenshi supposedly coming up on George Stroumboulopoulos

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Nenshi supposedly coming up on George Stroumboulopoulos
I'm starting to disapprove of all these media appearance as no he and council have been sworn in, it's time to get to work. So I hope then next headline read Nenshi turns down appearance on...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
Beer me Captain

Oh oh, I think it's time Gillian Steward went to see her doctor as I think she may have something like dementia. For those who don't know her, she is a former editor of the Herald who now freelances for papers that like to showcase the foibles of Calgary/Alberta. According to her, the only reason Nenshi won was because of all you 20 somethings since all us "old-timers" appear to love the same-old, same-old. The best part of her article is that "Coral Springs" appears to be a "tough Calgary neighbourhood".

Steward: Young voters elected new Calgary mayor

Personaly this municipal election has made me more pissed with much of the media (and I didn't think that even possible??). Why can't Calgary vote for someone with good policy ideas and leave it at that?!?!

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Oct 26, 2010 at 1:54 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 12:11 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post

Main pet peeves:
- paying taxes
- liberals
- cyclists
- festivals
- gay people
- "Orientals" (his word)
- immigrants

Byebye baby - not sure of how much you know about Ford, but your depiction of him is somewhat off. His main platform - in fact his ONLY platform - was that the municipal gov't of Toronto was being run for special interest groups resulting is mis-use of taxes. Contrary to what some of the media liked to portray about him, he is not against gays, orientals, immigrants, festivals, etc. They weren't really pet-peeves, rather very simplistic attempts on his part to convey angst.

His views on urban planning and provisioning, however, are diametrically opposed to what Toronot had seen the past 8 years under Miller - and there is an important lesson here for all politicians, including Nenshi:

Ford won due to a principal known as pendulum politics. For the most part, Toronto has had good government under Miller however Miller was seen as governing too much for select special interest groups (E.g. unions, artists, DT developers, “black turtle-neck wearing, latte sipping elites, etc) and not enough for “joe six pack” taxpayer (who may actually be a mint tea sipping Tamil!!). He was seen as catering too much to one segment of the population (the so called DT elite) and not enough to others (the suburbanit barbarians). While not really true, perception is reality. And Ford was able to tap into this angst and funnel it into a victory since the population was convinced (by Ford, the media, other politicos) that this was a bad direction. When you couple this local message to the global recession/slow down, Ford was pitching the pablum people wanted to hear (Woo woo, there goes the gravy train!!)

Personally I am so sick of his single issue platform (gov’t waste will save up ka-jillions in dollars!!), that I would have voted for a rock rather than him – why is it that I always thought of this when Ford complained about the “gravy train’???

Anyway, the lesson here – basic politics 101 really – is that Nenshi must reach out to everyone to ensure that all feel like they are represented in the process. My guess is that he is fully aware of this and while his platform did include a lot of pro-urban messages, not eveyone wanted that and going forward he must ensure that the overall message is that you may not have voted for me, but I still hear you … otherwise Calgary could see it’s own version of Ford in 3 or 6 years. He can't please everyone (que breaking eggs to make omlets analogy here) but he does have to satisfy enough of the populace to prevent a pendulum swing away from him.

FULL DISCLOSURE: due to a quirk in our political systems, I can vote in both Calgary’s and Toronto’s municipal elections – while I was excited to vote in Calgary due to our choices, I was trully saddened to vote in Toronto as I had to vote for a lesser of two evils rather than someone with good ideas. Sigh …..

Do something about your future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy