HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 7:10 PM
Rational urbanist

Yeah, density is not the main issue with new sprawl.

This

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...07662544872221

may or may not be denser than this

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...arneyGlengarry

but that's not the problem. The built form prevents non-car travel as does the segregation of uses. Street design is much more important than how small and close the houses are to each other.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 7:11 PM

I feel that it needs canopies over business entrances, trees and plants, a narrower main street and maybe some benches on the sidewalk. There is nothing visually interesting about the main street as it looks right now, and the scale seems off. It is desolate, but not unfixable.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I've done work in Cathedraltown and it's a pretty nice development.
It's just a shame the main street didnt take off. The main street should have been laid out more like a lifestyle center and been located closer to Major Mackenzie with a major anchor tenant like a major asian grocery store and/or Saks Off Fifth type store. This wouldve boosted traffic in the area and there wouldnt be so many empty stores.

Also, why paint window mullions a soul sucking white when a caramel or off-black wouldve looked so much better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I feel that it needs canopies over business entrances, trees and plants, a narrower main street and maybe some benches on the sidewalk. There is nothing visually interesting about the main street as it looks right now, and the scale seems off. It is desolate, but not unfixable.
Other than the fact that it's so hidden away (drive by on Woodbine and you'd have no clue that it exists) and the soul sucking stucco nonchitecture, I think one of the biggest problems is the width of the street. You could practically play a game of football between the buildings.

Actually I measured it on Google Maps. It's about 33 m between the building faces, which is way too far for buildings of that scale. If you're going to have a street that wide you need taller buildings to help enclose the space. The other two main streets in Markham - in Markham Village and Unionville - are about 20 m and 15 m respectively between buildings.

Both of those main streets are arterial roads (or what used to be arterial roads), which gave commercial life a chance to take root. Traditional main streets almost always developed on natural transportation routes. The problem with so many of these suburban new urbanist main streets is that they're located on roads internal to the subdivision, which hides them away from the traffic that might use the businesses. They also tend to be developed by residential developers who have no idea about the little things like sign bands, awnings, and the way that display windows interact with entrances. So they end up with this creepy, lifeless quasi-residential vibe.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 6:53 PM

We took a walk through this new urbanist neighbourhood in Cobourg today. I should've got more pics but it is quite nice. My pics are kind of weird and dreary looking but it was actually very hot and sticky.

Linear Park that runs through the heart of the neighborhood

This little complex is basically on an island right now. I think it is a showpiece for the "main street" they are building for the neighborhood

All brick towns

Cute bungalows

Lots of nicely planted areas considering the neighborhood isn't all that old

It is still on going development. I'll have to get better pics sometime, I wasn't planning on posting anywhere. From what I could tell the houses currently being built are a little more modern looking from what has been previously built, which tends to be more faux. All houses are accessed by rear laneways. There are plenty of 2 storey homes but I didn't get a picture of any for some reason.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:17 PM

^ The buildings themselves are nicer than what I have seen in just about any Canadian subdivision, except for ones catering to the wealthy where there are obviously much bigger budgets. That blows away anything you can find in Winnipeg's burbs.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 9:18 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The buildings themselves are nicer than what I have seen in just about any Canadian subdivision, except for ones catering to the wealthy where there are obviously much bigger budgets. That blows away anything you can find in Winnipeg's burbs.
I like Bridgewater’s fairly new townhouses. They are nice in general, probably except the fact the colour scheme is light in majority, which doesn’t offer much variation.

To be honest I’d still prefer to live in core communities like Osborne and Corydon, they are more lively in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is the nicest in Cobourg also. The adjoining subdivision, from a different developer, is pretty nice also but not to the same level. It is a mixture of new urbanist and not, some houses have rear laneway, some do not, for instance.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada