HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Is there even an actual proposal for this lot?

Wasn't there a hotel proposal to the lot immediately West of 30th Street station at 30th and Market that's presently a parking lot?
yes, Drexel plans to develop that block. The last I heard they were in process of selecting master developer for their innovation neighborhood. I'm not sure what is taking so long.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Retail there that is street level to Evo and the Post Office Building would really help.

Never noticed the covered porch area behind the IRS building until looking at that link. Would love to see that area converted to retail at some point, with retail on the other side too as you noted.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
yes, Drexel plans to develop that block. The last I heard they were in process of selecting master developer for their innovation neighborhood. I'm not sure what is taking so long.
I thought the innovation neighborhood was the area bound by JFK, Market, 30th, and 32nd; there's more than enough parking lots in that area alone. I didn't know it extended down below Market. That would be great, if true.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I thought the innovation neighborhood was the area bound by JFK, Market, 30th, and 32nd; there's more than enough parking lots in that area alone. I didn't know it extended down below Market. That would be great, if true.
No, I was talking about the large parking lot(s) west of 30th street north of One Drexel Plaza and Bulletin building.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:49 AM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
^^^^

They need to do something about this corner:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...3e58c1!6m1!1e1

Retail there that is street level to Evo and the Post Office Building would really help.
So humble! Just retail? This lot (3001 Chestnut) is the same same size as 1800 Arch!! (Comcast 2, American Commerce Center). There is another lot of the same size, as pointed out above, being 3001 JFK Blvd. I think that's why it's exciting Brandywine RT is in play in this area and they are rumored to hold big ambitions.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:23 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
So humble! Just retail? This lot (3001 Chestnut) is the same same size as 1800 Arch!! (Comcast 2, American Commerce Center). There is another lot of the same size, as pointed out above, being 3001 JFK Blvd. I think that's why it's exciting Brandywine RT is in play in this area and they are rumored to hold big ambitions.
This and the 5-Star lots are both owned by Drexel University. 3001 Chestnut is, according to the campus master plan, supposed to be an extension of the engineering school. Specifically, permanent space is needed to house labs that used to be in the building that the Summit replaced, and are now -- temporarily -- in the former Bulletin printing press (3101 Market) -- which itself lies on part of the Innovation District site.

I'll also note that the last time I was in Drexel's Alumni Memorial Hall (the midcentury annex to the main building complex at 3101 Chestnut) it struck me as being more than a little run-down ... in much the same way that Barton Hall was allowed to become run-down for around a whole decade prior to its eventual demolition. Like they're not maintaining the building as well because they're planning on replacing it soon.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:38 PM

Aaaaaaaaaand Brandywine has sold more properties. That's $42 million after recently having unloaded $395 million worth of properties a couple of weeks ago. Plus $16.5 million back in October for the sale of a building in South Jersey.

Altogether, they've raised more than $450 million in the past couple of months.

Brandywine certainly has something big up their sleeve.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
No, I was talking about the large parking lot(s) west of 30th street north of One Drexel Plaza and Bulletin building.
I, as well as several other people, were talking about the massive lot at 30th and Chestnut, a huge hole in the donut - not the Innovation properties to the north.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaand Brandywine has sold more properties. That's $42 million after recently having unloaded $395 million worth of properties a couple of weeks ago. Plus $16.5 million back in October for the sale of a building in South Jersey.

Altogether, they've raised more than $450 million in the past couple of months.

Brandywine certainly has something big up their sleeve.
That's a huge amount of cash. I'm very excited to see what their "secret project" is in 2016. I'm hoping to hear sooner rather than later

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
I'm not opposed to a building on top of the retail, maybe even a space elevator. I just meant that it needs to be developed and have more of a street presence than the other two corners.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
University City is indeed on fire. However, even with the two and half completed Cira buildings, the immediate area around 30th Station still feels like a dead zone. Schuylkill Ave might as well be a highway. The Porch is nice but 30th St Station still feels like an island surrounded on all four sides by traffic lanes, taxi stands, and parking. The Post Office building is beautiful and full of jobs but the building itself is like a fortress that kills street life along Market and Chestnut. There is a dearth of dining/retail in the area. And the elevated nature of Walnut and Chestnut offer no street level experience until 33rd. If you've ever walked to Penn's campus from Center City or 30th Street, you know what I mean.
Totally agree. Amtrak (or whomever) really F*cked up the Porch and area. It was all torn up and redone. Then they tore it up again so they could have alternating/striped side walking of sorts LOL. But then they had 4 food trucks rotating most days and it looked like it would expand to 4 trucks each day of the work week. There were some freakin' great trucks and it was a lot of fun to see what was there and what the menus were each lunch. They had a good number of events from dorky ones to beer ones.

Then they barricaded it in, built all these jackass boxes to further obstruct the space and forced in some swings which I see empty whenever passing by. All so Amtrak could charge 1 food truck and bar place for the space? What the F is that all about? Who exactly gets that money from a public and federal space? I'm pretty sure it's none of us.

Boo I say. Give us back those pizza trucks, the Surf 'n Turf truck, Spot burger, Mac Mart, and others and give that crappy blue truck death!
G.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 12:26 AM

Everytime I see see this thread bump up and there are no big news or renderings, or plans; a thousand babies cry.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 12:55 AM

Brandywine was touring 'a few' prospective office tenants around Center City and University City today.... hmmmmm

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Brandywine was touring 'a few' prospective office tenants around Center City and University City today.... hmmmmm
Smummers, can you say if the prospects were from outside the Delaware Valley? By the way, thanks for all the great information on the Philly thread. It's exciting to see the great development happening in Philadelphia. From a new poster in Texas.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaj View Post
Smummers, can you say if the prospects were from outside the Delaware Valley? By the way, thanks for all the great information on the Philly thread. It's exciting to see the great development happening in Philadelphia. From a new poster in Texas.
I don't know much information or the exact tenants but apparently one from outside of the Delaware Valley and two from the suburbs. Very interesting.

Come on Brandywine throw us a damn bone and give us some hints!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know much information or the exact tenants but apparently one from outside of the Delaware Valley and two from the suburbs. Very interesting.

Come on Brandywine throw us a damn bone and give us some hints!
Awesome news! Thanks for sharing. My hopes for another Cira or that 2100 Market concept tower are high.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 3:05 AM

Yes, VERY interesting news indeed!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:06 PM

Enjoyed seeing this cryptic ". . . " reply from Brandywine Realty Trust on an instagram comments section:

[IMG]Untitled

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAZtwVfA...andywinerealty

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:20 PM

Haha! So sneaky.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Haha! So sneaky.
Especially when you combine that with this quote from the PBJ article linked here earlier today by 1487:

Quote:
Drexel University President John Fry said he is about two months away from unveiling the final plans for Drexel’s multibillion-dollar Innovation District” that the school will create on 10 acres between the university’s main campus and 30th Street Station in University City.
Economic conference 2016: 3 local university presidents talk expansion

It would make sense to formally announce Cira II as part of that unveiling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects