HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 2:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Bedford] RIM Customer Support Operations Centre | 25 m | 6 fl | Completed

This thread is for the new RIM office building under construction near the Hammonds Plains Road and Highway 102 between Bedford and Hammonds Plains. It will contain 160,000 square feet of office space and will be complete in February 2008:

Images from EllisDon construction, http://www.ellisdon.com/.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 12:42 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This thread is for the new RIM office building under construction near the Hammonds Plains Road and Highway 102 between Bedford and Hammonds Plains. It will contain 160,000 square feet of office space and will be complete in February 2008:

Images from EllisDon construction, http://www.ellisdon.com/.
I don't see your photo. Here's a link to it:

http://www.ellisdon.com/ed/projects/view/?id=3088771

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 12:43 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Your photo wasn't showing up until after I posted... then I could see it - weird.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 2:04 PM
Cambridgite

Cool . I didn't know RIM had offices in Halifax.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 6:52 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
Cool . I didn't know RIM had offices in Halifax.

Hell yes, they got a big grant to set up in Halifax. They will have up to 1,200 employees in that area within a few years. RIM has been hiring in NS for about 1 year now - check out RIM's web site under "careers".... type in Halifax as the city... then try "Waterloo".

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 7:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There are some pictures up on flickr (I think this is bluenoser?): http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotian...va/1545899782/

RIM received subsidies, but then again that is the name of the game in North America at this point. Almost every area that has high tech companies has given money to them, either directly or through universities. The University of Waterloo, for example, receives and has received much more than just private sector funding, and the province of Ontario has made similar offers to many companies that it has tried to attract.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 8:55 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
There are some pictures up on flickr (I think this is bluenoser?): http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotian...va/1545899782/

RIM received subsidies, but then again that is the name of the game in North America at this point. Almost every area that has high tech companies has given money to them, either directly or through universities. The University of Waterloo, for example, receives and has received much more than just private sector funding, and the province of Ontario has made similar offers to many companies that it has tried to attract.
RIM has not received any subsides from Waterloo or Ontario as far as I know. Canadian universities in general primarily rely on public sector (government) funding... so how is UW subsidizing RIM? Actually, it's the other way around.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 9:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't know of specific, direct subsidies to RIM from the government (hard to imagine them not existing, at least in some kind of "kickback" form.. there is probably no net subsidy, but that's true of almost any company) but the U of Waterloo itself exists because of 1950s/60s/70s government largesse. Giving money to universities is pretty much the opposite side of the same coin. On top of that there are a huge number of complicating factors and major differences between provinces. For example, the GTA's economy is anchored by a number of very protected companies and Waterloo feeds off of that.

The other factor is that the direct subsidies don't really make a business case for operating in a particular area. Usually companies seem to come up with a shortlist of a few places and then shop around taking incentives into account. Fundamentally, a place still needs to kind of talent a company is looking for even if they provide a subsidy, unless the subsidy basically covers all costs of operation, which the one in question does not.

I brought up the subsidy thing because people tend to complain a lot about subsidies provided to companies given in the Maritimes while forgetting that the same thing goes on everywhere else. Political forces have played a huge role in shaping North America's economy. If the entire continent's economy had been left open to the free market from the beginning it's pretty unlikely that Toronto, or Waterloo, would be what they are today.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 11:53 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
I don't know of specific, direct subsidies to RIM from the government (hard to imagine them not existing, at least in some kind of "kickback" form.. there is probably no net subsidy, but that's true of almost any company) but the U of Waterloo itself exists because of 1950s/60s/70s government largesse.
Sure, along with pretty much every other university in the entire country, so I don't get your point - actually, I don't think you even have one.

So, if you have no knowledge that RIM received subsidies from government you can just dispense innuendo. The amazing success of RIM wasn't simply due do the genuis and hard work of its personnel, it was the government handing out subsidies that were a significant part of its success? I don't think so!

Quote:
Giving money to universities is pretty much the opposite side of the same coin. On top of that there are a huge number of complicating factors and major differences between provinces. For example, the GTA's economy is anchored by a number of very protected companies and Waterloo feeds off of that.
Sorry, but this is nothing but gibberish. Waterloo does not "feed off" very protected companies anymore than Halifax does... in fact, the reverse is closer to the truth regarding which city receives the most outside financial help (Halifax or Waterloo).... I mean, which city indirectly receives equalization payments funded by the other? Which one has money inflows from the Feds to fund its military bases? Doesn't Halifax also have several universities?

Quote:
I brought up the subsidy thing because people tend to complain a lot about subsidies provided to companies given in the Maritimes while forgetting that the same thing goes on everywhere else. Political forces have played a huge role in shaping North America's economy. If the entire continent's economy had been left open to the free market from the beginning it's pretty unlikely that Toronto, or Waterloo, would be what they are today.
Ah, so that is what this is all about (resentment and envy).... but in the case of Waterloo, you are obviously wrong.... Look, circa 1970, Waterloo (the city) had a population of perhaps 24,000 IIFC ... today it's over 110,000. So its population over about the last 37 years has increased by a factor of 4 1/2 times. In other words, Waterloo wasn't really around (it was just a tiny village) when Federal industrial policy benefitted (from 100 years ago or more?) central Canada, since Waterloo was too small to benefit... Waterloo grew with the growth of the universities, auto industry (1960s US-Canada autopact) the insurance companies and high technology growth... nearly all of its growth has occurred post WWII.

Toronto and Hamilton were/are Ontario's big industrial hubs. Their position was not just determined by preferential government industrial policy, they also had huge natural advantages that Halifax lacks... such as cheap hydroelectric power from Niagara Falls, and closeness to the industrial heart of the US and the nearby huge consumer market.

Last edited by Waterlooson; Oct 30, 2007 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 12:49 AM

Guys, I'm not entirely sure what this argument is about.

I just read back through the thread, and I don't see where Someone123 says that RIM received subsidies from the Ontario government for offices in Waterloo. Only that RIM received subsidies from Nova Scotia to setup in Halifax, and that there are companies and industries in Ontario that receive/ have received government subsidies and yes all universities including Waterloo and Halifax schools receive grants.

Neither do I read that Waterlooson is suggesting that RIM shouldn't be in Halifax. The offices here are no threat to Waterloo. RIM's career opportunities lists 7 openings in Halifax and 416 in Waterloo. Workforce diversity can only help RIM as growth is the name of the game. Good for Halifax, good for Waterloo.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Guys, I'm not entirely sure what this argument is about.

I just read back through the thread, and I don't see where Someone123 says that RIM received subsidies from the Ontario government for offices in Waterloo. Only that RIM received subsidies from Nova Scotia to setup in Halifax, and that there are companies and industries in Ontario that receive/ have received government subsidies and yes all universities including Waterloo and Halifax schools receive grants.

Neither do I read that Waterlooson is suggesting that RIM shouldn't be in Halifax. The offices here are no threat to Waterloo. RIM's career opportunities lists 7 openings in Halifax and 416 in Waterloo. Workforce diversity can only help RIM as growth is the name of the game. Good for Halifax, good for Waterloo.

I'm not sure what the argument is eithier.

I think once the new facility in open here there will be a lot more job openings at the Halifax location, There isn't a lot of room where their at now.

Last edited by Haliguy; Oct 30, 2007 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Sure, along with pretty much every other university in the entire country, so I don't get your point - actually, I don't think you even have one.

So, if you have no knowledge that RIM received subsidies from government you can just dispense innuendo. The amazing success of RIM wasn't simply due do the genuis and hard work of its personnel, it was the government handing out subsidies that were a significant part of its success? I don't think so!

Sorry, but this is nothing but gibberish. Waterloo does not "feed off" very protected companies anymore than Halifax does... in fact, the reverse is closer to the truth regarding which city receives the most outside financial help (Halifax or Waterloo).... I mean, which city indirectly receives equalization payments funded by the other? Which one has money inflows from the Feds to fund its military bases? Doesn't Halifax also have several universities?

Ah, so that is what this is all about (resentment and envy).... but in the case of Waterloo, you are obviously wrong.... Look, circa 1970, Waterloo (the city) had a population of perhaps 24,000 IIFC ... today it's over 110,000. So its population over about the last 37 years has increased by a factor of 4 1/2 times. In other words, Waterloo wasn't really around (it was just a tiny village) when Federal industrial policy benefitted (from 100 years ago or more?) central Canada, since Waterloo was too small to benefit... Waterloo grew with the growth of the universities, auto industry (1960s US-Canada autopact) the insurance companies and high technology growth... nearly all of its growth has occurred post WWII.

Toronto and Hamilton were/are Ontario's big industrial hubs. Their position was not just determined by preferential government industrial policy, they also had huge natural advantages that Halifax lacks... such as cheap hydroelectric power from Niagara Falls, and closeness to the industrial heart of the US and the nearby huge consumer market.
k

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:05 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post

I think it's great that RIM is in Halifax... RIM has bought up property in several locations around Waterloo Region for future expansion.... they are growing like a weed in Waterloo with ~5,000 employees... they started out with a workforce of 2 back in 1984. Halifax is no "threat" to Waterloo. It's helping Waterloo's largest company (now the 1st or 2nd most valuable company based in the country) become even greater... and RIM is providing good employment opportunities for Nova Scotians and diversifying Halifax's economy. WIN, WIN.

RIM also has offices in Mississauga and Ottawa in Ontario... along with other offices around the world ... for a total of around 6,500 employees.

BTW, RIM in Waterloo has 416 full time job openings plus 162 job openings for coop students, for a total of 578 openings just in Waterloo!

Waterloo Region has about 2,000 job openings just in the tech industry.

I would imagine that RIM will start hiring in a big way next summer in Halifax.

Last edited by Waterlooson; Oct 30, 2007 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
It's helping Waterloo's largest company (now the 1st or 2nd most valuable company based in the country)
Yes. I heard recently that with the move into the market in China, RIM just passed RBC as the highest capitalized company in Canada.
I'm very impressed with the RIM story. Its like Canada's Microsoft, showing just what a couple of entrepeneurs can do in a few years. They've grown despite increasing competition from new technology and even a bad faith lawsuit a couple of years ago from those US patent sharks.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 1:22 AM

The building is coming along now, according to one of the workers staff is set to move in in the spring.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 5:21 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Thanks for posting that.... it's looking great.... and it will be great for Halifax and RIM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 1:30 AM

Why the h-ll is this development in Hammonds Plains?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 6:37 AM
BANNED

Looks good.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 10:16 PM

Here's an updated pic I got today.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 5:52 AM

This building is complete by the way

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs