HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:39 AM

Trustmark Bank Moves to New Location Adds New Logo
I know this is kind of old

I could not find a pic that would load but they moved into the East Memphis former Suntrust HQ near the popular corridor

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 5:58 PM

Location for a new convention center

[IMG] https://www.flickr.com/photos/123240376@N08/ [/IMG]

I do not see why the City does not put a completely modern convention center on Union Ave. Most of this location is already barren and Eminent Domain could easily take control of these other subpar properties which add no real value to the City entrance. The property is pretty much next door to the new hotel going up on the other corner and is within walking distance of FedEx Forum, the ball park, the Peabody.

By taking the whole block there could be a great opportunity for a grand entrance for people drop off and the back being on Gayoso could be for deliveries and set up. Walk out the side door, down one block and be on Beale st.

The remote facilities at Peabody and the existing Cook are appalling and are so cobbled.

Union Ave is in such a need of a facelift too and this will help.

Last edited by zookeeper; Apr 13, 2014 at 6:00 PM. Reason: picture not loading

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 7:20 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^No doubt. That location would also help out the Forum area some too and wouldn't be too far from Peabody Place if the City would still want to use that for meeting space of some sort.

Has anyone read any articles on the actual progress that's being made on the discussions regarding the Cook/Peabody Place/ a new convention center? Have they discussed hiring an outside consulting firm to study the best location of a new convention center and the best use/re-use of the Cook? I've been a little busy lately so I haven't had as much time to read up or get info on these things.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:19 AM

There's two hotels slated just to the west right? The Hilton Garden Inn and the HI Express? I don't like the idea of the Peabody Place being meeting area, I think it can be more.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:09 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
There's two hotels slated just to the west right? The Hilton Garden Inn and the HI Express? I don't like the idea of the Peabody Place being meeting area, I think it can be more.
Maybe just one hotel...the one on the lot of the old Greyhound station, and then maybe one at the corner of Union and Third...I don't know if that was just speculation or if a project was actually proposed.

Someone else will have to answer that.

I agree with your statement on Peabody Place, but I don't think that the minds that have control of that situation right now will get that done. It could seriously be developed into a modest, but successful small entertainment/retail center. By no means have as much in there as before, but I think the entire idea of meeting space in there is a waste of money (if it's not entirely funded by private investors).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Maybe just one hotel...the one on the lot of the old Greyhound station, and then maybe one at the corner of Union and Third...I don't know if that was just speculation or if a project was actually proposed.

Someone else will have to answer that.

I agree with your statement on Peabody Place, but I don't think that the minds that have control of that situation right now will get that done. It could seriously be developed into a modest, but successful small entertainment/retail center. By no means have as much in there as before, but I think the entire idea of meeting space in there is a waste of money (if it's not entirely funded by private investors).
The Turkey Creek folks out of Knoxville stated that they may move forward with a Holiday Inn Express as well when they announced the Hilton Garden Inn. It's why I posted an image of an Holiday Inn Express in Downtown OKC to show that they don't have to be a stucco beast.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:06 AM

is there not currently a holiday express downtown across from the peabody? i can't keep up w/ what is down there, but i thought i had a cup of coffee about 10 months ag0 w/ a friend in the street level shoppe. also, there is the hotel being built by the two fellows from st. louis, in the south forum district. i think it is to have seven floors, and it will be run by an independent operator. that is directly across the street from the ever elusive downtown highrise hilton by royal phoenix and company, according to ms. chisalom.
btw, progress on an indiago hotel in downtown was in included in a compilation of projects about two years ago. i wondered what happened to that project, as the developers, at the time, stated that it had about 3 to 4 months left on finishing the project.

anyone know the proposed location of the new 9 story parking garage at st. jude?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:31 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Sounds like a decent idea for once:

Memphis working to bring Hard Rock Hotel to Beale

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...e.html?ana=twt

Quote:
The City of Memphis has approached Hard Rock Cafe International Inc. about opening what would be Beale Street's only hotel.
Kevin Kane, president and CEO of the Memphis Convention & Visitors Bureau, confirmed today that the city has proposed a hotel on the same block as the future Hard Rock Cafe, and that the company wasn't "opposed" to the idea.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:59 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^^Looking forward to hearing more about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
is there not currently a holiday express downtown across from the peabody? i can't keep up w/ what is down there, but i thought i had a cup of coffee about 10 months ag0 w/ a friend in the street level shoppe. also, there is the hotel being built by the two fellows from st. louis, in the south forum district. i think it is to have seven floors, and it will be run by an independent operator. that is directly across the street from the ever elusive downtown highrise hilton by royal phoenix and company, according to ms. chisalom.
btw, progress on an indiago hotel in downtown was in included in a compilation of projects about two years ago. i wondered what happened to that project, as the developers, at the time, stated that it had about 3 to 4 months left on finishing the project.

anyone know the proposed location of the new 9 story parking garage at st. jude?
I think it's actually a Holiday Inn Select.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
Sounds like a decent idea for once:

Memphis working to bring Hard Rock Hotel to Beale

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...e.html?ana=twt
I wonder where they got that idea from? *patting self on back*. I tweeted Myron Lowery that idea a month ago and hmmm, now the city is looking into it.

This would be a HUGE get for Memphis! A HRH downtown could lead to more hotels which are desperately needed and could lead to a much needed new convention center. THEN, maybe the NBA will give Memphis the All-Star game.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:18 AM

GREAT news!!! Hopefully it all works out.

Also, I was downtown a few days ago and walked into the Holiday Inn Select. It is undergoing an interior renovation...with new carpeting, paint, etc. They also updated the signage outside of the building to drop the "Select" from it's name. Not sure how that will work out with the new Holiday Inn...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:57 AM

FWIW, I have noticed that the decor and look of downtown San Diego is a lot like Memphis. The HRH they have there is snugged into a small space of the exact square footage parking lot available across the street from the Orpheum Theater. There's enough room there too to build the hotel adjacent to or on top of a 100-car parking deck.

Just glad to see Memphis finally be proactive and act like a major city for a change.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Birchett View Post
GREAT news!!! Hopefully it all works out.

Also, I was downtown a few days ago and walked into the Holiday Inn Select. It is undergoing an interior renovation...with new carpeting, paint, etc. They also updated the signage outside of the building to drop the "Select" from it's name. Not sure how that will work out with the new Holiday Inn...
IHG discontinued the Holiday Inn Select brand some years ago, and gave those existing hotels the option to either convert into a traditional full-service Holiday Inn or rebrand under the Crowne Plaza name, the former of which the existing Holiday Inn on Union and Second decided to do (especially since there already is a Crowne Plaza hotel downtown near the Cook Convention Center). As I mentioned before in this thread, the proposed Holiday Inn Express is a limited select service hotel, so it would not have the same amount of amenities as a full service Holiday Inn. I think both should be able to co-exist without any problems.

If Memphis does somehow land a Hard Rock Hotel, the surface parking lot just north of the Orpheum would be an ideal spot to put it; however, the article gave me the impression that they would have it built on adjacent property where Tri-State Bank's headquarters currently sits. On that small amount of land they would have to build the hotel on top of a new garage.

@zookeeper - The land bordered by Union to the north, Danny Thomas to the east, Beale to the south, and Fourth to the west has always been thrown around as a potential site for a new convention center near FedExForum, and that's still the case today. I'm not sure something like that will happen for some time - if not years - considering the issues sitting in front of the City of Memphis at the moment, but that should not act as a deterrent from planning for the future in both the short and long term, and not just thinking about it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
IHG discontinued the Holiday Inn Select brand some years ago, and gave those existing hotels the option to either convert into a traditional full-service Holiday Inn or rebrand under the Crowne Plaza name, the former of which the existing Holiday Inn on Union and Second decided to do (especially since there already is a Crowne Plaza hotel downtown near the Cook Convention Center). As I mentioned before in this thread, the proposed Holiday Inn Express is a limited select service hotel, so it would not have the same amount of amenities as a full service Holiday Inn. I think both should be able to co-exist without any problems.

If Memphis does somehow land a Hard Rock Hotel, the surface parking lot just north of the Orpheum would be an ideal spot to put it; however, the article gave me the impression that they would have it built on adjacent property where Tri-State Bank's headquarters currently sits. On that small amount of land they would have to build the hotel on top of a new garage.

@zookeeper - The land bordered by Union to the north, Danny Thomas to the east, Beale to the south, and Fourth to the west has always been thrown around as a potential site for a new convention center near FedExForum, and that's still the case today. I'm not sure something like that will happen for some time - if not years - considering the issues sitting in front of the City of Memphis at the moment, but that should not act as a deterrent from planning for the future in both the short and long term, and not just thinking about it.
The vacant parking lot adjacent (north) of the theater is most likely where they mean. Possibly the Tri-State Bank lot for additional parking or HRH properties. HRH are destination hotels. Not overnight stays. Meaning they offer retail and upscale dining and leisure pool decks.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 1:28 AM

The City Should push for Freds to relocate it's Headquarters Downtwn

That is good news about them trying to get a Hard Rock Hotel it will get us a little bit closer to hosting big events like an NBA All-Star Game. But they should push for Fred's Dollar Store inc. to move Downtown. I could see them building something near 10 stories like their current HQ that's hidden in the Industrial Area. We could have something like the Krogers Building in Cincinnati.

Krogers Building in Cincinnati

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 9:41 PM

Le Bonheur to build medical office building for $11M

Memphis Business Journal
Quote:
Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, already at work on a $9.4 million parking garage, is planning to build an $11 million medical office building.

The hospital is hoping to finish the 54,000-square-foot office building – which will be on the northwest corner of Adams Avenue and Dunlap – next summer, said Le Bonheur vice president for buildings Dave Rosenbaum.

The building will provide about 200 offices for physicians, residents and fellows, freeing up clinical space in the hospital and nearby clinical buildings, he said.

But before beginning construction on the building, Le Bonheur has to finish its new five-story, 765-space garage on the same, 3.8-acre block bordered by Washington, Manassas, Adams and Dunlap. That should happen this September.

After that, an existing garage will be demolished for less than $1 million to make way for the office building, Rosenbaum said. Le Bonheur should gain a net 400 spaces from the project, much of which will be devoted to the office building.

Le Bonheur is scheduled to present its case for several variances for the garage and office building at a Memphis and Shelby County Zoning Board of Adjustments meeting at 2 p.m. today in the Memphis City Council chambers.

Besides consolidating its non-clinical offices, Le Bonheur will benefit from the building being connected by a skyway to the main hospital, Rosenbaum said.

"This is just allowing us to be a little more efficient with the space we have and get the right people in the right place," he said.

Le Bonheur, a subsidiary of Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare, hired brg3s architects to draw up the plans for the office and garage.

Construction of the new garage is underway at the same time St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is building a $25 million garage nearby.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 3:43 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Some guy from Montreal wants to spend a bunch of money downtown.

Montreal developer may spend up to $10M in Memphis

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...n-memphis.html

Quote:
Cutler, a 35-year veteran of the real estate industry who looks for value-add properties, sees in Memphis what he saw in Montreal in the 1990s – a long list of vacant buildings ripe for redevelopment. And over the next few years he expects to see, like in Montreal, a strong uptick in development as a result.
"It's coming, and I can feel it coming," Cutler said, speaking of Memphis' growth potential. "At a certain point, it will take off on its own."

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:59 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Thanks for posting that article, it's good to know who exactly bought those buildings. I'm curious to see if he plans on investing that 10 mil in the area adjacent to the properties that he currently owns, or if he's considering turning somewhere else downtown. While new construction is always nice, I'm glad that he is redeveloping existing buildings.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 9:06 PM

it is always good to read the positives seen by both local and visitors to the city. however, it seems to be the rule rather than the exception to it, when it comes down to getting things done, things that are truly progressive and helpful, ideas, projects, th private and civic that make major gains in the direction of downtown, seem like vapor and games of playing catchup or just trying to sustain itself.

the hard rock information makes for great reading, and it is framed in the first two or three sentences in a positive manner. however, when you read all, it begins to become a pipe dream, and the old dog on the scene w/out teeth, hearing, and just enough sight to get in the discussion. it seems you can read about so many of our major cities and their projects, and even though some fail or are on ice, most go forward and come to fruition. i would like to see that happen here, but there seems to be so much personal self interest that many projects are messed up before they ever begin. finally, i assume that the one beale project is a definite goner, that is a shame. virtually promised to be delivered to the city center as an agent of change, it appears all of the talk was just that, talk.

Last edited by kingchef; Apr 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:27 PM

Elvis Presley Enterprises Inc. is planning a new 450-room hotel on land near Gracelan

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...oom-hotel.html can only wonder how tall this would be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations