HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 7:21 PM
BANNED

I would guess that the 49ers go to Santa Clara although it is close.

If the Chargers wait for the end of the season, there may not be a place available. That's what makes this process so much fun, knowing that each of these teams has to ask itself it they will ever get a better deal at home while knowing that they run out of all leverage at home and in LA when another team commits.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 8:33 AM

It isn't much, but at least this idea remains on the table . . .

From the LA Times:

Frank McCourt speaks his mind about baseball, an NFL franchise and more

By Bill Shaikin
March 23, 2010

After Frank McCourt wrapped up a spirited conversation with San Fernando Valley business leaders on Tuesday, he peeked inside the wrapping of his thank-you gift. He had a twinkle in his eye as he held the bottle of wine aloft.

"With the off-season I've had, the fact that this has a cork is a good thing," he said.

The acrimonious divorce between the Dodgers' owner and his estranged wife Jamie has dominated the off-season headlines. However, two weeks before the Dodgers open the defense of their National League West championship and two days after Frank McCourt's relaunch of the Los Angeles Marathon, he noted the question that has dogged him all winter did not follow him to the 26.2-mile race course.

"Not a single person in the media has asked me how my divorce affects the marathon, because it doesn't," McCourt said. "I understand the urge by the media to create drama around my personal life. It's really not that dramatic."

In a wide-ranging breakfast discussion with the Valley Industry and Commerce Assn., McCourt said he would soon unveil a Los Angeles bicycle race that he hopes can evolve into a world-class event similar to the marathon. The inaugural bike race is tentatively scheduled for November.

Court filings in the divorce case revealed that McCourt also remains active in planning for an NFL stadium in the Dodger Stadium parking lot.

"There's no question L.A. should have an NFL franchise," he said. "It's probably the worst-kept secret in Los Angeles that the NFL would love to be at Chavez Ravine. Other than that, I can't comment right now."

McCourt opened his remarks by addressing what he called "the elephant in the room." He does not want to discuss his divorce publicly, he said, other than to assure fans concerned about how the proceedings might impact ownership of the Dodgers.

Jamie McCourt, whom he fired as the Dodgers' chief executive, claims co-ownership of the team. She has asked a court to invalidate a marital property agreement that provides her with sole ownership of the couple's residential properties and provides him with sole ownership of the Dodgers and other business assets. No trial date has been set.

That agreement would override California's community property law, in which the value of assets acquired during a marriage is split 50-50 in the event of divorce. When San Diego Padres owner John Moores and his wife Becky divorced, he had to sell the team in order to pay the settlement.

"Because of California, community property, divorce, sports franchise and San Diego, people jump to conclusions about what this means for the Dodgers," Frank McCourt said. "The key omission there is the fact that I have marital agreements with Jamie that make crystal clear I own the Dodgers.

"The Dodgers are not for sale. My kids will own the Dodgers someday. As we get this matter resolved … things will get back to normal."

To McCourt, a normal season ends with the Dodgers playing into October. He said the Dodgers could advance to postseason play for the fifth time in the seven years of McCourt ownership — a run unprecedented in club history — then quickly added that the World Series remains the primary goal.

"There is no substitute for that," he said. "You all deserve that. The community deserves that."

For the first time in 31 years, the Dodgers advanced to the National League Championship Series in each of the past two years. They declined to pay the price of adding an ace pitcher at the trade deadline in each of those years.

In 2008, when the Dodgers declined to pick up the contracts of their summer reinforcements, the Cleveland Indians traded CC Sabathia to the Milwaukee Brewers. Sabathia filed for free agency and signed for $161 million — a record for a pitcher — with the New York Yankees. First baseman Mark Teixeira, traded from the Atlanta Braves to the Angels, also filed for free agency and signed with the Yankees, for $180 million.

"I respectfully disagree that giving up a Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, or Matt Kemp to have CC Sabathia or Mark Teixeira for two months — and maybe be able to sign them beyond that — was a good proposition," McCourt said. "How would we feel right now without Clayton Kershaw or Matt Kemp?"

In 2009, the Dodgers balked at including top young major leaguers in trade talks for Cliff Lee of the Indians and Roy Halladay of the Toronto Blue Jays. Lee and Halladay would not have been eligible for free agency until after the 2010 season.

The Dodgers' payroll for the 25-man roster could drop below $90 million for the first time in five years and the second time in 11 years. That payroll stood at $109 million in 2001 — under the ownership of News Corp.'s Fox Group — and ranked third that year behind the Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

Yet the Dodgers never appeared in the playoffs under News Corp. ownership. McCourt said he prefers — and he believes that fans prefer — developing and investing in a homegrown core.

"A mercenary team doesn't work," McCourt said. "News Corp. was never short on money. It doesn't work."

McCourt lauded the Dodgers' stability in management as well as on the lineup card. General Manager Ned Colletti signed a new contract last winter, and Don Mattingly is being groomed to replace Manager Joe Torre, who said this week he has put off negotiations to return next year.

"Whether or not he comes back for another year, we have a succession plan in place," McCourt said.

Manny Ramirez, who was suspended for violating baseball's drug policy last season and whose contract expires after this season, has said he does not expect to return to the Dodgers next season.

"I think it's going to be a very interesting year for him," McCourt said. "I wish I could predict what kind of year it's going to be.…

"I think it stopped being fun for him last year. I think he needs it to be fun for him."

McCourt said he was gratified by the record number of runners—and the 6,000 volunteers — that participated in the marathon during the debut of the route from Dodger Stadium to the Santa Monica Pier. He said organizers plan to "tweak the course a little bit" and attract as many as 5,000 more runners next year. He set as an eventual goal that every runner would compete on behalf of a charity.

He saluted the cooperation among the four cities along the route — Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica — and said that kind of cooperation will be necessary to develop what he calls the "robust public transit" so desperately needed in the Southland.

The success of the marathon, he said, was tempered by traffic congestion that forced some runners to abandon their cars along the freeway and jog to the starting line at Dodger Stadium. He said local governments urgently need to solve traffic and transportation issues, noting that the sellout crowd on opening day inevitably will struggle to get out of the ballpark and onto streets and freeways during the afternoon rush hour.

"There's been that story every year for 52 years," McCourt said. "It's time for us as a community to change it."

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Lots of fun stuff here. The bike race and marathon are outstanding and anything done to improve them is going to help cement LA as the sports capital of the world. Not that it needs cementing, but you should always keep improving.

I hate to repeat myself but NFL in Chavez Ravine is dead, assuming Roski is not the most inept negotiator in history. Where is McCourt getting the billion for the stadium plus the permits, traffic management, law suits, etc.? I honestly don't think a stadium in Chavez Ravine would get a 20 percent vote in favor.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 3:02 PM

Right now, I believe if the Jacksonville Jaguars, don't draft Tim Tebow, a potential ticket seller in the Jacksonville area, since he was from Jacksonville, that, that will be another sign toward that franchise eventually ending up in LA. Jacksonville is really hurting for attendance at their games.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 5:47 PM
BANNED

RockMont: I like that; sometimes subtle things can tell you a lot.

There's also stories that now that Kroenke has exercised an option on buying the Rams, that he may want to maximize the value of his investment by moving here in 2015. I would hope by then there is already at least one team playing in LA.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 4:31 AM

From the LA Times, yet another proposal that may be lurking . . .

Another NFL stadium plan for L.A.?

Tim Leiweke and Casey Wasserman are considering the area behind Staples Center for new venue.

By Sam Farmer
April 15, 2010 | 8:14 p.m.

Eight years ago, two influential Los Angeles businessmen, Casey Wasserman and Tim Leiweke, unfurled a plan to build a privately financed NFL stadium near Staples Center.

The plan was scuttled almost as quickly as it arose, however, when the Coliseum Commission announced its intention to make its own NFL bid. Thus ended what many people believe was the last best chance to bring pro football back to the nation's second-largest market.

Now, according to multiple sources, Wasserman and Leiweke are considering getting back in the stadium game.

They are investigating the possibility of building a stadium behind Staples Center, where the West Hall of the Los Angeles Convention Center now sits, with the idea of replacing that convention space elsewhere in the general area.

So far, the concept is in the preliminary stages, although the NFL is aware of it and is monitoring its progress.

The convention center site is owned by the city. It is within walking distance of the newly constructed 1,000-room hotel that AEG built in the Staples Center/LA Live sports and entertainment district.

Wasserman, grandson of legendary MCA studio head Lew Wasserman, is founder and CEO of the Wasserman Media Group. Leiweke is president and CEO of AEG, which owns Staples Center. Both Wasserman and Leiweke declined comment for this story.

It's hard enough to build one stadium in the L.A. area, and there aren't going to be two. This concept, therefore, would be in direct competition with the one that billionaire Ed Roski hopes to develop in the City of Industry.

That would pit Leiweke and Roski, both of whom played major roles in getting Staples Center done.

John Semcken, the point man on Roski's project, acknowledged that there isn't room in Souther California for two stadium projects, but he said they have no plans to abandon theirs.

"It doesn't change what we're doing at all," he said. "Doesn't influence anything we're doing one bit."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 6:36 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

^Coin toss?

Downtown site would be better, right next to Staples Center and LA Live, more freeways, lots of existing surface parking, and, well, DOWNTOWN.

Industry site might be cheaper, though.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
^Coin toss?

Downtown site would be better, right next to Staples Center and LA Live, more freeways, lots of existing surface parking, and, well, DOWNTOWN.

Industry site might be cheaper, though.
NFL stadiums require a lot of surface parking and I'm not sure that the LA Live area has enough. Besides, isn't much of the existing surface parking slated for development (LA Central?). I think that a stadium that size with that much needed parking is unfit for DTLA.

Put it in Chavez Ravine.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 1:39 PM

And install gondolas.

And there IS room enough for two stadiums.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Same issues:

1. don't need more football stadiums (2 within 5 miles)
2. DT is the wrong place (traffic, no parking, empty 355 days/yr)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 5:32 AM

Dude, when will you realize that the NFL is not coming back to the Coliseum?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Same issues:

1. don't need more football stadiums (2 within 5 miles)
2. DT is the wrong place (traffic, no parking, empty 355 days/yr)
LA wouldn't be the first city to have multiple large stadiums in close proximity to one another. Off the top of my head London and Bangkok fall into this category. Although I'd put a "DTLA" stadium in the unused parcel across the LA River by LAC+USC.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 5:40 PM
BANNED

London has 2 stadiums seating over 100k near each other? I don't think so.

On the eastside of DT by the river I have much less problem with. At least this won't be an albatross hanging over the growing part of DT (10 todays of traffic that kills all business; 355 days of deserted).

But still, I don't think there is a stomach for spending and rearranging the convention center to build a third major football stadium.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 7:45 PM

Dude makes a good point. We aren't much further along in the process than we were 15 years ago and it won't be any clearer how realistic any of these stadium ideas will be in the near future. Anyone actually think that there will be an NFL team here by 2015?

Southern California shouldn't play ball with the NFL

By Michael Hiltzik
May 23, 2010

As talk heats up again (again?) about bringing a National Football League team back to Southern California after a 15-year halftime break, I propose that the following slogan be tattooed on the forehead of any civic booster associated with such a proposal:

"Remember Irwindale!"

Irwindale, for those of you who don't remember, is the San Gabriel Valley community that got scammed into giving Raiders owner Al Davis a $10-million, nonrefundable down payment to bring his team over from the L.A. Coliseum. That was in 1987. Davis did move out of the Coliseum, but he didn't stop moving until he reached Oakland. He kept the money anyway.

Perhaps I'm being unfair to the NFL, which doesn't like to think of Davis as its ethical trend-setter. On the other hand, the league's subsequent treatment of every stadium proposal since then hasn't been that much better. Can the City of Industry proposal of real estate magnate Ed Roski or the convention center annex plan recently floated by Anschutz Entertainment Group executive Tim Leiweke and entertainment honcho Casey Wasserman break the mold?

Over the years, the NFL has played Anaheim off against Los Angeles, and both off against Carson. It has feigned — excuse me, "expressed" — interest in the Rose Bowl, the Coliseum and Hollywood Park as venues for a stadium. It has toyed with moguls such as Eli Broad and Michael Ovitz like a defensive tackle toys with a fumbled football. It has sent countless delegations of team owners to study proposed sites.

It has dangled visions of Super Bowls and jobs by the thousands before starry-eyed politicos. It has promised that L.A. would certainly have a team by "2009, 2010 or 2000-whenever," in the words of former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

It's 2010, and no team. On the other hand, there are still about 90 years to go before that "2000-whenever" deadline runs out.

Everyone in Southern California who has tried to play ball with this league has come away misused and humiliated. Reading the file of sound bites from moguls and political leaders proclaiming that they finally had the thing in the bag is like touring a museum of unalloyed schlemiel-dom. (The curator is my colleague Sam Farmer, who collected the following quotes.)

Here's City Councilman Bernard Parks (circa 2004, re the Coliseum): "If we resolve the issues, then they've said clearly there's no need to look at other sites." Here's John Moag, point man for the Rose Bowl, 2004: "Things are moving in the right direction." Former Dodgers owner Peter O'Malley: "I can see it … putting the goal posts right here" (at Chavez Ravine, 1995). And R.D. Hubbard, owner of Hollywood Park: "There are just a few little items to be worked out" (also 1995).

The NFL's goal has been to extract the most favorable deal for itself, regardless of the public costs. It has been offered public land for free or at a cut rate, tax abatements, concessions — in the latest round, the Legislature even abrogated a major state law to facilitate a stadium that isn't built to host a team that we don't have and to meet a deadline that doesn't exist.

Can't anyone here learn a lesson? For all that the NFL says it really wants to be back in the Los Angeles market, it finds it quite advantageous to leave this market wide open. Why? Because it's a permanent threat to every other NFL community that dares to think about driving a hard bargain with its pro team.

As for the notion that the NFL is hurt by not having a team in the nation's No. 2 media market — oh, sure. You think the NFL has suffered since it left L.A. (metro population: 17.8 million) and moved into the megalopolises of Jacksonville, Charlotte and Nashville (combined metro pop.: 3.55 million)? Show me, as they say, the money. Since 1994 the league's TV contracts have tripled to $3 billion a year.

Once the California Legislature acted in October to clear a legal hurdle to Roski's proposal, the price of poker went up for the municipal officials in San Diego, Minnesota and Jacksonville sitting across the table from the Chargers, Vikings and Jaguars, to name three teams angling for new stadiums or better deals.

But what about us? Let's look at the latest Southern California proposals.

The Roski plan would place a 75,000-seat open-air stadium on a 592-acre parcel in the City of Industry, which is one of those communities that seems to have more cubic feet of rail cars than human beings. The promoters like to say that the location, which is bounded by the 60 and 57 freeways, lies within an hour's drive of 16 million SoCal residents, but I like to think of it as nine miles from Irwindale.

Roski's people e-mailed me to say they had no comment on their plans. That's a big change from a few months ago, when they wouldn't shut up about it. Back then, Roski's spokesman John Semcken said there were seven NFL teams having trouble getting the stadium deals they wanted, including San Diego, Oakland and San Francisco, which tells you a bit about what it meant to the league to have a convenient stalking horse.

The City of Industry plan was dressed up as a multi-use retail/entertainment venue, but when you take a close look at the mock-ups, it resembled just another high-end retail ghetto, like the Grove or the Block at Orange.

Roski was canny enough to sell it as a job-creation device — up to 18,000 jobs, he claimed. That sounds like up to 18,000 slices of baloney, but it was enough to persuade the Legislature to exempt the project from the California Environmental Quality Act, our landmark environmental protection statute.

The next time you hear that this is supposed to be a private project, think about the damage to public policy that vote represents. "It seems that if you have a major project and you're rich and you have access to the Legislature, you get special attention," says state Sen. Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach), who opposed the exemption.

Supporters of the project claim the exemption is a special case and no precedent. That's not a slice of baloney but a full loaf. Proponents of a San Diego stadium are already agitating for an exemption, and wouldn't it only be fair to level the playing field for Leiweke and Wasserman?

Which brings us to their plan, which is still in an early stage. There are, truth be told, virtues to placing a football stadium downtown, hard by Staples Center and the underexploited Los Angeles Convention Center.

Leiweke has long maintained that there won't be much more hotel or retail development in that neighborhood unless the convention center gets a major upgrade or a new amenity gets built. Wasserman has called a stadium "a final piece to the downtown puzzle," which may be closer to the mark than plunking a venue in the City of Industry, 25 miles away.

But the problem remains the NFL, an entity that leaves more unhappy partners in its wake than anyone this side of Donald Trump. Some people have been saying that Commissioner Roger Goodell is less inclined to manipulate public officials than was his predecessor, Paul Tagliabue. We'll see.

The league has already let it be known that there won't be progress on bringing a team to L.A. at least until it completes work on a labor agreement with players to replace the contract expiring next year. That gives it many, many months to keep Roski and his new rivals dangling — just the kind of situation the league loves.

Anyone else want to join the fun?

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 7:47 PM

Al Davis is so annoying.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 6:27 PM
BANNED

49ers seem to have opened a big lead in the Santa Clara stadium vote so I expect that's a done deal. However, there is some opposition to the Raiders moving there as well, fueled by ads showing their fans out of control. So Al may not be out of the picture yet.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
49ers seem to have opened a big lead in the Santa Clara stadium vote so I expect that's a done deal. However, there is some opposition to the Raiders moving there as well, fueled by ads showing their fans out of control. So Al may not be out of the picture yet.
I hope he is.

I much rather prefer the wannabe gang-banger silicon valley programmer Raider fan over the actual gang-banger highland park Raider fan.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 5:47 PM
BANNED

You may, but Santa Clara doesn't and Oakland is broke. Personally, I would find it difficult to root for the LA Raiders at least until such time as Al is not on the scene.

And let's not forget about DT: anybody want the Raider fans coming into LA Live and South Park 10 times a year? Makes Industry sound more appealing?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 5:05 PM

The article is long but it's very comprehensive and covers the history of LA's trouble securing a stadium and team since the Raiders and Rams left. It's an excellent read for anyone wanting to understand the mess that we're currently in.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6057731

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
Can the existing Blue Line station handle all the traffic? (Convention Center, Staples Center, LA Live and now Farmers Field). If not, shouldn't they make a new Blue Line station part of the project?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West