HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

The Catherine in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 12:42 AM

Ah that makes sense, thank you for the response.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I was driving down Barton springs yesterday and saw a pretty significant structure to my left( I was heading to the intersection with congress), is that the Catherine? If so, the thing is growing at a decent pace( and we need pics )
I think that is the new parking garage for the Hyatt

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:36 AM

Here's a shot of RunTex being dismantled today, I couldn't find a thread for that project so I'll just leave it here.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 5:29 AM

July 5, 2013

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 7:27 AM
Meh

July 5 & July 6

Runtex demolition

Hyatt Town Lake Parking Garage

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 1:21 PM

^^^More Hyatt Town Lake Garage photos from July 5, 2013.

I'm surprised I didn't see you Kevin, considering we seemed to be running around town on the same day hitting all the same places.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post

I'm surprised I didn't see you Kevin, considering we seemed to be running around town on the same day hitting all the same places.
Thanks for all the updates this week Mike and Kevin .

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 6:58 PM
Meh

I'm surprised I didn't see you also. It looks like you were out in the morning. I went out at about 4 pm both days. I almost bumped into my brother and nephew. Friday I had planned to go over to the SRV statue, but I forgot to with all the other places I'd gone. I guess I was tired. Anyway, i got home and my brother called me. He said he and his son had gone fishing on Lady Bird Lake that day, and one of the places they went to was the SRV statue. So I probably would have seen them had I gone over there.

I did see a lot of gawkers watching the crane go up at the Colorado Tower. Some were taken photos. There were a lot of people out at the parks Friday and yesterday. The river was full of kayaks, canoes and stand up rowers.

I had two other places I wanted to shoot from, but they didn't pan out. One was at an apartment project with a nice view. They seem to be giving me the runaround. The other was a rooftop bar with a view. I got their card and I'll email them to see if I can arrange it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:00 PM

That parking garage went up real quick and it's god awful.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 11:20 PM

I wish developers would give some thought to how a parking garage looks. If I had my druthers, parking would be underground for the most part, so as to take up less real estate and not be an above-ground eyesore. http://www.newyorkssixth.com/?p=710 is an example of a pretty damn cool looking parking garage. I'm sure there are a lot of examples, but too many developers just consider them a utilitarian afterthought.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsalpha View Post
I wish developers would give some thought to how a parking garage looks. If I had my druthers, parking would be underground for the most part, so as to take up less real estate and not be an above-ground eyesore. http://www.newyorkssixth.com/?p=710 is an example of a pretty damn cool looking parking garage. I'm sure there are a lot of examples, but too many developers just consider them a utilitarian afterthought.
The parking garage at 77 Hudson St. definately looks nicer than the Hyatt's parking garage and the Legacy's and a ton of others in Austin, but with the encased sides and the cost to do so, increased ventilation plus cost of materials, very cost prohibited. As stated here before, building above ground parking is much cheaper than underground parking. I looked at the above pics and was thinking the same as you, but even with today's improved economy, the return on the invested dollar would not justify the cost of building a parking garage to any of our (this forum's) standards. I think what I'm most disappointed about with the Hyatt garage is how dominant it appears so close to the lake. I think I might have to come down and see for myself this week.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 5:51 AM
Meh

8/20

Just a crane shot from the Zilker Clubhouse.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 6:10 AM

This one seems to be going up rather slow. I think they are just on the 2nd floor now. The midrise apartments going up on the former Run-Tex site will be butting right up against this.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 12:43 PM

Hey! You caught a Southwest Airlines 737 above the crane!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_Austin View Post
This is the Aquaterra project re-envisioned as apartments. I believe the development was packaged and sold by HFF as a fully entitled project. My best guess is that the site plan shouldn't be too different than the original.

I this the Catherine or the Aquaterra? Are there any recent images of The Catherine's proposed finished exterior?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
Are there any recent images of The Catherine's proposed finished exterior?
Their website has a rendering of the top 9 floors, so that should at least give you an idea.

http://www.streetlightsres.com/214-barton-springs.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Their website has a rendering of the top 9 floors, so that should at least give you an idea.

http://www.streetlightsres.com/214-barton-springs.html
Thanks LSM; this building looks simple and inviting. The scale is good and the location is great for a downtown worker. Great infill!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 1:53 PM

High profile lakeside apartment project ramps up construction
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Journal
October 9, 2013

The article notes that the project is now at the fifth floor of construction, apartments likely will be priced around $2 per square foot, and the bulk of the units will be one-bedroom, although two-bedrooms, studios and two-story penthouses also will be available.

Rendering (re-sized) is from the Hunt Companies

The Hunt Cos. in partnership with SLR Residential is building The Catherine on Barton Springs Road just west of Congress Avenue. The provided rendering alludes to the fact that the Hyatt Regency Austin will obscure some views of downtown Austin.

I'm not a big fan of the color scheme.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:54 PM

This new apartment building has a very awkward location, and it is hard to envision it really blending into a city street grid. It is actually located on the Hyatt's driveway across the drive from the ungainly new parking garage that the hotel is building. The parcel next to the apartment tower along Barton Springs is occupied by an unattractive low rise structure that prevents the new apartment building from having any real city street front. The back of the structure faces underdeveloped parcels that effectively keep it hemmed in from the city. I guess it might feel more integrated to the rest of the city once the adjacent parcels get built up, but that might be quite a while.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
This new apartment building has a very awkward location, and it is hard to envision it really blending into a city street grid. It is actually located on the Hyatt's driveway across the drive from the ungainly new parking garage that the hotel is building. The parcel next to the apartment tower along Barton Springs is occupied by an unattractive low rise structure that prevents the new apartment building from having any real city street front. The back of the structure faces underdeveloped parcels that effectively keep it hemmed in from the city. I guess it might feel more integrated to the rest of the city once the adjacent parcels get built up, but that might be quite a while.

I would need to look at it in person, but the old runtex site is right next to the Catherine and is also under construction. It does seem to be a bit of an awkward facing angle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin