HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 12, 2005, 2:01 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

exactly. we had some people who were really fighting the design in the beginning. I happen to really like it. I think it opens up the door in downtown for more buildings with "out of the box" designs.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2005, 2:32 PM

Which design will be built?

So does anyone know for sure if the first design is going to be built. Or have they changed the design? Hope not.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2005, 4:29 PM

OK the design that will be built is the double tower design. The one with the Orange and Blue Colors on it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2005, 9:08 PM
James

Ideas cooked up for factory

Christopher Anderson
Express-News Staff Writer

A group of historic preservation officials and activists from across the country see something sweet happening again at the old Judson Candy Co. building, although they expect it will take millions of dollars to make the complex tempting to tenants.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation held its annual leadership training program in San Antonio this week, and its almost three dozen participants were asked to come up with ideas on how the former praline, chocolate and jelly bean factory at 831 S. Flores St. can be reused.

Located in the King William area, the site includes two historic, graffiti-marred buildings that have been vacant since 1999, when the company, now known as Judson-Atkinson Candies, moved to the Northeast Side.

Five teams comprising seven people each, including representatives from state agencies and local nonprofit groups, presented proposals on what should be done with the old factory site Friday evening at the Southwest School of Art & Craft.

All of them advocated creating condominiums or loft apartments in at least one of the existing buildings.

Their recommendations also included such novel approaches as creating a community fitness center or a working school for college students interested in the hospitality industry.

Other suggestions included introducing a much-needed grocery store for the area.

Another popular plan was to develop a rooftop garden to help keep air-conditioning costs low and to provide great vistas of the downtown area from the fourth floor of the larger of the two buildings.

A majority of the plans also called for a relatively recent warehouse addition to be razed.

"I think a lot of them had great ideas with amenities that they wanted to offer which are great," said Patrick Shearer, a principal in the Cambridge Realty Group, which is representing the site's owner, Tony Bradfield. He is asking $3.3 million for the property.

Shearer noted that all the plans crafted by the group included considerable construction and renovation costs. "It is a big bite to chew off."

But Shearer expressed confidence that "the right developer" would capitalize on the site's proximity to downtown and Southtown by converting its historic buildings into new homes.

"I think all the demographics are pointing back to more urban living," he said.

Henry Alvarez, president and CEO of the San Antonio Housing Authority, which is studying the possibility of buying the factory site and developing it into a mix of affordable and market-rate housing, balked at the $8 million to $21 million project costs associated with the preservationists' plans.

"Some of the numbers are alarming," Alvarez said.

Don Rypkema, author of "The Economics of Historic Preservation: A Community Leader's Guide," said renovating a historic building is often less expensive than building from scratch.

"They're rarely cheap, but if quality is part of the equation, it will always be a competitive alternative," he said.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2005, 4:35 AM
James

Image displayed on KENS5 on Sat. June 11

Old Posted Jun 13, 2005, 8:14 AM
BANNED

Nortwest Vista College Expansion Master Plan

Current buildings are the three purple ones.

Aerial view of Northwest Vista College::

Old Posted Jun 13, 2005, 6:32 PM
James

Wow, that looks awesome, I've been to that campus before, it looks nice already, when is the timetable for this expansion?

Last edited by jaga185; Jun 13, 2005 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 7:07 PM

I went there for about a year and always felt it was "undersized" for the amount of students. With UTSA down the road increasing tuition fees every semester, the Alamo Community College District has seen dramatic increases every semester. I think that a full load with books cost me less than $1,500 a semester their, UTSA's tuition cost me $3,000 this semester. I believe the ACCD is also putting a new campus on the NE part of the city, a very good move.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 5:37 AM
BANNED

Can't believe I haven'tposted about The Rim nor any renderings.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 1:52 PM
Austinite

Woah...impressive architecture! In that aerial rendering, there appears to be some kind of circular, elevated viaduct or track? It almost looks like a monorail or tram setup? Probably just my imagination.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2005, 5:32 AM
BANNED

THE RIM

Project Facts:

Total Size
Approximately 1,500,000 SF on 150 Acres

Traffic Counts
111,000 Cars/day on I-10, South of Hwy-1604
85,000 Cars/day on I-10, East of Hwy-1604

Total Space Available
Approximately 1,500,000 SF (1,300,000 SF Anchors, 170,000 SF Shops, & 8 Outparcels)

Bass Pro Shops will lead the co-anchors in retail facet of the The Rim, a 700+ acre mixed-use development that blends urban plazas, courtyards and parks with entertainment, retail, office and residential components.

The Rim will boast approximately 1.5 million square feet of retail space uniquely blended into a complement of tenantry that can and will appeal to all strata of consumers throughout the Greater San Antonio metropolitan area. Thomas Enterprises purchased the site from San Antonio-based Worth Enterprises in 2003, changing the name to The Rim from “North Rim.”

The Rim’s blend of multiple components is designed to meet the retail, service and entertainment needs of San Antonio residents, the local community, and visitors to the area.

The anticipated land use mix includes destination entertainment attractions and retail, lodging, office/commercial space, traditional shopping outlets, as well as a proposed residential component.

The first phase of the project concentrates on the destination retail and entertainment attractions. Destination entertainment and retail by definition is designed to draw in customers from beyond the local economy, bringing new money into the community in the form of de facto tourism.

At completion, the first phase of The Rim is expected to hold tenants and attractions that will have cumulative annual revenues of $503.5 million and employ approximately 3,140 full and part-time workers.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2005, 1:21 PM

Um I think the floor numbers are a tad off, bc I know for sure that the hotel is going to be 45 stories tall....

Council approves condominiums high in Convention Center hotel
Web Posted: 06/17/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Greg Jefferson
Express-News Staff Writer

In Mayor Ed Garza's last session as San Antonio's top elected official, the City Council on Thursday gave contractor FaulknerUSA the go-ahead to build 144 condominiums atop the planned Convention Center hotel.

The luxury units would take up the uppermost floors, 25 through 33, of the 1,000-room hotel expected to be completed in 2008.

The council voted 9-1 to sell the city's interest in the space, its so-called "air rights," for $1.25 million. Councilman Roland Gutierrez said the original price had been $1 million, based on a city-ordered appraisal, but council members last week directed city negotiators to seek an additional $250,000.

The Austin-based contractor also will pay the city $150,000 for legal expenses and $57,000 for the relocation of a pedestrian walkway and re-platting of a right-of-way, for a total of just over $1.4 million.

According to city officials, the condos would range in size from 765 square feet to 3,903 square feet, and would sell for between $300 and $400 per square foot. The hotel's top floor would be given over to eight penthouses, with six featuring private stairs leading to rooftop cabanas, roof decks and hot tubs.

Garza praised the project, saying it would draw more residents downtown. The ideal, he added, would be a mixed-income housing stock at the city's core.

"This certainly will be the upper echelon of that housing product," Garza said.

The cost of building the condos isn't included in the hotel's $285 million price tag, paid for with $208 million in tax-exempt and taxable bonds and $77.3 million in private financing. The contractor will finance the units' construction separately.

City officials will move next to put the hotel and the condos within a tax incremental reinvestment zone that encompasses 1.5 square miles downtown. Through Sept. 30, 2015, property tax revenue from condo owners would go toward public improvements approved by the TIRZ's board. Assistant City Manager Chris Brady said the money wouldn't be used for condominium or hotel projects.

Property taxes from the hotel, meanwhile, would go into the city's general fund, Brady said.

"I believe this addition is going to bring a whole new dimension to the hotel, and a whole new dimension to the downtown," Councilwoman Sheila McNeil said.

FaulknerUSA officials broke ground a week ago on the hotel, one of the major projects of Garza's second term as mayor. But his legacy is most likely to be tied to his balanced-growth initiative on the South Side, called City South.

Calling his eight years as District 7 councilman and mayor "a dream come true," Garza said he's leaving office with a sense of contentment.

Early in Thursday's meeting, Councilman Julián Castro, who is also leaving office this week after narrowly losing last week's mayoral runoff, said Garza's tenure would be well regarded, despite a litany of complaints about his leadership.

"Contemporary journalists aside, history is going to be very kind to your administration," Castro said.

He also told remaining officeholders that "y'all have a huge task in front of you ... to make sure everybody benefits from the coming wave of opportunity."

Councilman Enrique Barrera, appointed to complete then-Councilman Jose Menendez's term 51/2 years ago, also steps down this week because of term limits. But he said he plans to stay active in the community.

"I'm not going away," Barrera said. "I'll be there. I'll be involved."

Old Posted Jun 17, 2005, 5:40 PM
James

so the hotel is 33 story's, not 45?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2005, 6:50 PM
The Space Pope

I have read other sources claiming a floor count in the 30s too. I guess we won't know till they finish building the damn thing.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2005, 10:17 PM

8 penthouses suites

Is the building 34 floors? Can you fit 8 penthouse suites on one floor? Floors 27 through 33 are the 144 condos and the top floor will be for 8 penthouse suites. 8 penthouse suites on 1 floor???? Don't get it!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2005, 11:14 PM

As I stated in an earlier post, I am POSITIVE and 100% sure that the hotel is 45 stories. Do not get your facts from the express news. They have no idea what they are talking about 90% of the time.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2005, 12:19 AM
BANNED

Sam and Ann Barshop Center for Longevity and Aging Studies

Old Posted Jun 19, 2005, 12:21 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jun 19, 2005, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jun 19, 2005, 12:26 AM
BANNED

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations