HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
More in-depth article re: the pending CivicSD restrictions, by U-T itself.

As always, the U-T is so lazy and incompetent at reporting that it fails to reference its own articles. (In academia, this is considered plagiarism)

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...p12-story.html
From above article:
The most significant of those is that developers of residential projects would need to make one-fourth of all units affordable to households earning less than the area’s median income plus 20 percent.

Developers could only avoid that requirement by building an equal number of low-income units in a separate project within 1 mile, or by contributing the value of such units to the city’s affordable housing construction fund.

Are they trying to shut down the business of building and selling condos? Does anyone know the current limits?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtell04 View Post
From above article:
The most significant of those is that developers of residential projects would need to make one-fourth of all units affordable to households earning less than the area’s median income plus 20 percent.

Developers could only avoid that requirement by building an equal number of low-income units in a separate project within 1 mile, or by contributing the value of such units to the city’s affordable housing construction fund.

Are they trying to shut down the business of building and selling condos? Does anyone know the current limits?
This isn't something new, all projects including single family home subdivisions have this requirement.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 11:15 PM

So it looks like CivicSD made an administrative error and will hold another hearing to formally reflect the changes made to the contract agreement, even though a contract was already approved:

7th and Market summary:

http://civicsd.com/images/stories/Se...ic_Hearing.pdf

Hope that clears things up for you guys..

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 11:26 PM

Updated Drawings

7th and Market (Cisterra)(Ritz/Whole Foods): http://civicsd.com/images/stories/7t...16_reduced.pdf
7th and Island (Hilton Canopy): http://civicsd.com/images/stories/7t...16_reduced.pdf
14th and K (Modera): http://civicsd.com/images/stories/Mo...16_reduced.pdf

Apologies for not including pictures since they are embedded in .pdf format.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 7:13 AM

7th & Market

Quote:
So it looks like CivicSD made an administrative error and will hold another hearing to formally reflect the changes made to the contract agreement, even though a contract was already approved:

7th and Market summary:

Hello all, I'm new here from Chicago and excited to follow and join this forum. TFD, does this mean that the proposal has the green light? Still trying to decipher the SD approval processes. Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 7:44 PM

Quote:

7th and Market summary:

This actually confuses me more. I don't think this is why the city council put-off approval.

The CivicSD document describes a procedural step to re-approve because of an error having to do with the water system. The UT article, however, links the city-council's decision to their effort to put more oversight on CivicSD, not a delay because of the water system. Those are two separate issues. CivicSD can re-approve the project, but it still needs city council approval because that's a city-owned parcel, so as I read all this we are still in the same holding pattern - waiting for the city council to give the green light.

The one thing I don't get, though - the CivicSD document says the city council approved the project's WSA (water system assessment) on 20-September. That's the same day the UT reports the city delayed approval of the project as a whole. So why would the city approve the WSA part but stall on the overall project ?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Updated Drawings

7th and Market (Cisterra)(Ritz/Whole Foods): http://civicsd.com/images/stories/7t...16_reduced.pdf
7th and Island (Hilton Canopy): http://civicsd.com/images/stories/7t...16_reduced.pdf
14th and K (Modera): http://civicsd.com/images/stories/Mo...16_reduced.pdf

Apologies for not including pictures since they are embedded in .pdf format.
My two cents:
Still like the overall aesthetics of the ritz project - the rendering for the ritz condos shows a doorman. I don't think I've ever seen a condo building in SD with a doorman

The modera project is on part of the land the Chargers would need for their stadium. The fact this project is going through the process of consideration by CivicSD instead of waiting until after November shows how slim the chances are of the stadium being successful at the ballot box.

Not a huge fan of the design of the canopy Hilton, maybe it's the renderings that aren't very good but something about it seems awkward.

Is that ballpark storage going to be there forever? It seems odd it's right in the middle of all this development, has anyone ever heard of any plans for that ?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:40 AM
Downtowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
My two cents:
Still like the overall aesthetics of the ritz project - the rendering for the ritz condos shows a doorman. I don't think I've ever seen a condo building in SD with a doorman

The modera project is on part of the land the Chargers would need for their stadium. The fact this project is going through the process of consideration by CivicSD instead of waiting until after November shows how slim the chances are of the stadium being successful at the ballot box.

Not a huge fan of the design of the canopy Hilton, maybe it's the renderings that aren't very good but something about it seems awkward.

Is that ballpark storage going to be there forever? It seems odd it's right in the middle of all this development, has anyone ever heard of any plans for that ?
I like the ballpark storage, its a good looking building, adds a bit of an industrial edge to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 7:54 AM
Category Five

Interesting..

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 10:39 AM

Nice pics

oh so damn gud!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 8:25 PM

BallPark Village

Pics from 9.15.2016

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 9:12 PM
Frequent Lurker

I'm kind of jealous of Tijuana's cool new projects:

Tijuana condo boom: The new San Diego?
San Diego Union-Tribune
Philip Molnar
September 30, 2016

Quote:
Developers are in the process of constructing roughly 2,000 condos over the next two years with towers that will drastically transform the skyline of Tijuana. Some of the planned towers, already approved by the Mexican government, are more than 30 stories and will become the tallest buildings in the city.
The building boom makes it the biggest residential construction push in the city in a decade and the most condo building in its history.

“Give us five years. The whole city is going to be vertical,” said Sergio Gonzalez, business developer for Probien.
The crown jewel of Tijuana’s residential building boom is Bajalta, a 63-acre development in the center of the city with 400 condos that is scheduled to start construction this winter. The first residential units and retail components are expected to be finished by 2019.

Bajalta will have four residential towers, an office tower, hotel and a mall. The developer of the project is Mexico City-based Artha Capital (Almost all new condo construction in Tijuana is financed by Mexican sources). Bajalta is designed by New York based-SHoP Architects, which worked on the Uber headquarters in San Francisco and Google offices in Mountain View.
Article:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...921-story.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 10:16 PM
Registered San Diegan

I need to consider getting Mexican citizenship (mother is Mexican). If I can get a 3 bedroom condo 15th floor or higher for less than 300k... Well, hola.

I wonder what the earthquake and safety standards are like in these buildings though? That would be my biggest reservation.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
I need to consider getting Mexican citizenship (mother is Mexican). If I can get a 3 bedroom condo 15th floor or higher for less than 300k... Well, hola.

I wonder what the earthquake and safety standards are like in these buildings though? That would be my biggest reservation.
Definitely nowhere near as good as our standards are. I took a recent sailing trip with my dad (he lives in Mexico) and I saw a lot of poor construction even in the new high rises (some leaned into each other). Buyer beware.

Then there's San Francisco:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/condo-owne...homes-worth-0/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 3:14 PM
It could be worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
I'm kind of jealous of Tijuana's cool new projects:

Tijuana condo boom: The new San Diego?
San Diego Union-Tribune
Philip Molnar
September 30, 2016

It's pretty impressive how much construction is going on in TJ. I noticed a few new buildings when I went to a recent Xolos game. TJ is also building a much-needed BRT route along the busiest corridor in the city.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Proposed Shelter Island boat launch remodel

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 5:07 PM
It could be worse!

Seaport redevelopment: Many questions remain
By Roger Showley

Quote:
The proposed $1.2 billion redevelopment of Seaport Village faces numerous questions about feasibility, financing and legality, the port staff said in a report released Thursday night.

And at its meeting next week, the San Diego Unified Port District board will have to decide whether to put the project on hold or move to the next phase in the approval process, an exclusive negotiating agreement with the development company that’s being set up, 1HWY1, and the management partnership, Protea Waterfront Development.

“Staff anticipates continuing exclusive discussions would take approximately six to eight months, during which time 1HWY1 has indicated that they would also conduct onsite due diligence and work with staff on confirming a project description and design,” said port business development managers Lucy Contreras and Penny Maus in a 19-page staff report.

In July the port selected 1HWY1 over five other bidders to focus on as the developer best positioned to replace the 36-year-old Seaport Village specialty retail center at the foot of Pacific Highway on the downtown waterfront. The 70-acre site also takes in the G Street Mole south of the USS Midway Museum, Tuna Harbor and the Chesapeake Fish Co. building in what is called the Central Embarcadero .

1HWY1, represented by veteran development project manager Yehudi “Gaf” Gaffen, proposes “Seaport San Diego” include:

• Three hotels: San Diego’s first Virgin Hotel with 500 rooms; an “affordable luxury” hotel (at $193 per night in current dollars) by Yotel with 350 rooms; and a 225-room, 475-bed hostel by Freehand.
• SkySpire: A 480-foot observation tower by Orlando-based ThrillCorp.
• OdySea San Diego Aquarium: A 151,000-square-foot for-profit aquarium, 16,000-square-foot butterfly exhibit and 12,000 square feet of retail space by the Scottsdale, Ariz., company that opened a similar project last month in that city.
• A 600-student charter high school focused on maritime subjects; a specialty cinema; manmade beaches; a floating swimming pool; and other athletic and recreational features, plazas, promenades and public spaces.
Office space: 19,000 square feet of maritime-oriented workspace on third-floor levels.
• Retail and restaurants: 390,000 square feet, nearly four times the space at Seaport Village; Terramar Retail Centers will lose its lease on the property in 2018 but will continue its lease at The Headquarters, a shops and restaurant complex in the former police station next door.
• Enlarged and upgraded commercial fishing industry docks and more slips for recreational boats and mega yachts
Full article: San Diego Union-Tribune

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipani View Post
It's pretty impressive how much construction is going on in TJ. I noticed a few new buildings when I went to a recent Xolos game. TJ is also building a much-needed BRT route along the busiest corridor in the city.
Yes, TJ is doing great, but L.A. gets even more.
They will double their skyscraper over the next 4 years.

I wished we would see a construction boom like that.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 2:13 PM
It could be worse!

^ Very true. I work in DTLA for a few weeks every year and half of it seems like a giant construction zone. LA is a global city, though, so they are probably attracting a lot more international investment than we'll ever see. Regardless, our city (and county) has definitely dropped the ball when it comes to addressing the housing shortage.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 9:26 PM

-

Last edited by bgrapes; Oct 18, 2022 at 2:02 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations