HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Wow what happened to all the earlier applicants like Lo Presti's?
They were not applicants. They where companies that picked up bid packages and they chose not to enter a bid.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:15 AM
Ham-burgher

The Wendel Clark's in Burlington is quite good - more of an upscale sports bar, with great food. I too think they'd do well downtown.

The Anchor Bar would probably be their direct competition, but I think they can both stake a share of the marketplace, especially once the condos start going up.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:34 AM

^Thanks for the intel.

A few things:

a. Wendel Clark was my boyhood idol but
b. I'd never heard of this joint until 3 min ago; however,
c. It looks pretty OK and lastly
d. Nobody wants the City of Hamilton as its landlord. Nobody.

This is a City thing, not a Hamilton thing.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I don't know anything about this chain but I think a sports bar would be a great fit. We don't have any sports bars downtown that I'm aware of. There are a few good places to watch a game like Academica but they don't advertise it.

The foodie scene is doing great in Hamilton and keeps getting better. We want diversity in food and culture and I wouldn't see this as an affront to progress at all. I think it's good balance.

I can see why most potential bidders were turned off by the lack of washrooms within the restaurant. Too easy for people to skip out on their tab. Seriously, what was the city thinking?
There's several sports bars downtown. Tailgate Charlies is huge and is only a few blocks away.

Anyways, was really hoping for a classier, more unique establishment instead of yet another place to watch hockey and eat greasy bar food.

Last edited by interr0bangr; Feb 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:18 PM

Clarky's taking the Lister spot plus the bowling place going in down the road provides a nice contrast to the uniqueness of James North and the establishments of King William. I'm quite intrigued by the area look forward to spending Friday nights there.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerton View Post
Clarky's taking the Lister spot plus the bowling place going in down the road provides a nice contrast to the uniqueness of James North and the establishments of King William. I'm quite intrigued by the area look forward to spending Friday nights there.
Has there been any news on the bowling place since it was first announced? I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
There's several sports bars downtown. Tailgate Charlies is huge and is only a few blocks away.

Anyways, was really hoping for a classier, more unique establishment instead of yet another place to watch hockey and eat greasy bar food.
Theres quite a few classy places to eat downtown. Shakespeares, La Cantina, Loprestis, Venturas.

Id actually say theres more unique restaurants than sports bars downtown.

Radius, Rapscallion, Burnt Tongue, Jack and Lois, 2 black sheep, Capri, Harbor Diner, B and T, Mex I Can, Chucks Burger Bar, Slaintes, the ship.

Then sports bars I can think of Tailgates and Honest Lawyer.

Also this still isn't a for sure thing. The city needs to approve it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:16 PM

Does anyone know what the second, incomplete, RFP was?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:24 PM

Maybe the city should hire an outside property management firm to manage their assets. Their job is to keep tenants and maximize cash flow. Tenants may be less put off by the city ownership if they're kept at arms length. The lister block has not exactly been good value for the taxpayer the way it's been managed.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 1:50 AM

what a spectacle of the city doing what the city does worst. First they totally fail to vet bidders and end up with the 28 Lister fiasco, then their solution is to run bidders through an overly onerous RFP that results in one bid. Maybe it's time for a shake-up in the restaurant management division.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Then sports bars I can think of Tailgates and Honest Lawyer.
And I'd thrown in http://www.anchorbar.ca/ into that mix as well.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:55 PM

Not all sports bars are meathead kinds of places. There are some very nice upscale sports bars and they're very popular. As far as I know, these are unknown to Hamilton. The good ones usually have a central giant screen TV for big events and some have TVs for every table so you can watch any sport imaginable with your buddies.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 11:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wendel Clark’s set to open in Lister July 8

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/56...lister-july-8/

Season opener? First period? The puck will drop?

Use whatever hockey term you like, Wendel Clark's Classic Grill and Bar will open for business July 8 in the Lister building.

"We're very pleased with our landlord, the city has been great to work with," said Sam D'Uva, chief executive officer of Dynamic Hospitality and Entertainment Group, which franchises the Wendel Clark's chain.

The Hamilton location will be the third, with others in Burlington and Vaughan.

"Based on our analysis, it's a great area and it's growing. We anticipate it to be a great location."

Franchisees Louis and Karen Muscat gutted the space, which briefly served as 28 Lister Chophouse Grill. Owner Chris DesRoches was locked out by the city last fall for payment arrears.

Wendel Clark's, which is partly owned by the former Maple Leaf captain, was the only bidder to take over the corner unit in the city-owned Lister. It was granted a 10-year lease in April.

D'Uva says Wendel Clark's will have more booths and banquettes in its 135-seat interior, plus a state-of-the-art audiovisual system to showcase sports. There are also plans being finalized for a 50-seat patio.

D'Uva says Wendel Clark's is a "stepped up" sports bar that emphasizes food selection and a welcoming atmosphere for women and children.

The opening will follow a by-invitation ribbon-cutting July 7 that will feature autographed puck giveaways and appearances by Wendel Clark and other celebrities. Email info@wendelclarks.com if you would like to attend.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 2:38 AM

Opening night was tonight. Lots of tvs. Looks pretty good.

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/5712...opening-night/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 1:10 PM

I walked by last night around 730 and there were 4 rough looking smokers standing out front. The patio space they've built looks so terrible as well, I hope to god it gets painted as it's covered in rust and chipped off puke green paint. Thanks for keeping the Lister Block classy, Wendel.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:36 AM
Hamilton Historian

so something is bothering me and I don't know where else to put it, and it's about the lister block. First off it's a government owned building so it really should be maintained- but you go in and there is water damage on the ceiling they STILL haven't fixed, and it's been like that for a couple years now. My friend brandon coulter used to co-own the lister arts gallery in there with a woman named valeri, and I was one of the artists in there - that and one of my old classmates is a security guard there.. so I was there often.

I have also noticed too that the beautiful white terra cotta is starting to get.. dirty.. now I know it pales compared to the horribly yellowed facade it used to be.. but it's starting to get noticeable.. can they not I dunno.. do a routine maintenance of the outside? Parts of the terra cotta appear to be chipping off as well.. I just don't want to see this beautiful restoration go downhill.. it's only been a few years since it was restored!

*EDIT* they fixed the water damage a while back when I went back in to check, so I am happy about that - now for them to clean the outside.. some of the terra cotta coating appears to be flaking off as well..

Last edited by Chronamut; Aug 2, 2017 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 12:17 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 1:54 AM

Love it.

Are those lights on every night?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:23 AM
Hammer'd

Thats an old photo, I think from the Juno's. Notice how the next door lot (William Thomas building) isn't even started yet. The restaurant was also empty.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:30 AM

Oh, didn't even pay attention to that... was only concentrating on the building.

And now that I take a closer look, I see where the lights are and know that it's not something they'd do every day.

It would be nice if they can put some kind of LED lighting in it's place, even from above, so that it's permanent, hidden and out of the way and lit up nightly. These are the things that highlight buildings and would make the downtown shine at night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton